The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Non trashy TV shows!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

Non trashy TV shows! Empty
PostSubject: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 10:50 am

I searched and searched to see if we had a TV show topic, but all I saw was the one about trashy shows. So this is for your love of non trashy tv shows! What shows are you addicted to, what do you love, etc.? Very Happy

Right now, my fiancee and I are totally hooked on Vampire Diaries. And for any of you who haven't seen it but love vampires, you need to watch it. I love the fact it uses old folklore and the like, dating back to Dracula times. Not to mention, it's got gorgeous people. Wink

So, what shows are you currently watching? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 11:51 am

Oh gosh, Miss Apple Pie, I want to talk so much about The Vampire Diaries with you! I agree so much with what you have said here. Normally I would fit this kind of show into the Trashy TV category, but goodness, was I wrong.

But since this is a general thread, I think that I will start a separate one just for TVD, which is something that I have wanted to do for so long!

Thank you for that push. Wink I am off to make it now.
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 2:11 pm

My Little Pony
Doctor Who (when the new stuff is airing, nothing new till christmas T_T)
Dragonball (its not current but whatever)

I also started watching Walking Dead on Netflix, it's pretty awesome so far. i only wish i had regular cable so i could catch tv shows when they air and not months later. XD
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 2:18 pm

LOL i know what you mean, Brit-chan. Unless it's the internet, this is how I watch a lot of my shows- Netflix. In fact, that's how I'm watching vampire diaries. xD

A manager of mine LOVES that show! I wanted to try it but was pretty iffy.

Oh, also I've been watching Beavis and Butthead nonstop. It's the nr. one show that can make me laugh continually.
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 2:59 pm

Besides anime, I have been watching Boardwalk Empire and Glee. I sort of want to start watching Once Upon a Time, but haven't gotten around to it. I also love watching Modern Family with my mom. I've had a deep love for That 70s Show (excluding the last season) since high school.

Winter is coming!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 3:08 pm

Sailor Venus wrote:
Besides anime, I have been watching Boardwalk Empire and Glee. I sort of want to start watching Once Upon a Time, but haven't gotten around to it. I also love watching Modern Family with my mom. I've had a deep love for That 70s Show (excluding the last season) since high school.

Winter is coming!

I heard from a friend that Once Upon a Time is reaaaly good. I haven't had a chance to check it out. But he was super excited about telling me about it. XD
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 3:13 pm

I have heard so much about dr. Who but I can't get myself so watch it. The main reason for it is because the male lead always gets a new actor each season. My sister explained to me why this happens but still, too much change for me! Lol. I get emotionally involved with characters and the actors who play them. So... Yah. One day I would like to catch an episode from season one.

I just discovered that you can watch tv shows on Netflix! That is how I watched season one of the vampire diaries too. Normally I download them or dvr, although I do not watch any current shows anymore. Lol. So downloading is usually what occurs.

Monk was a really good show too. Not trashy at all and just very lighthearted without being stupid.
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime4th November 2011, 3:22 pm

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
I have heard so much about dr. Who but I can't get myself so watch it. The main reason for it is because the male lead always gets a new actor each season. My sister explained to me why this happens but still, too much change for me! Lol. I get emotionally involved with characters and the actors who play them. So... Yah. One day I would like to catch an episode from season one.

I promise you, you will get attached to whoever is playing the Doctor, then they will leave, you cry, then the next Doctor appears and you fall in love with him...rinse repeat...but oh man is it an amazing show. You really should try watching from the 1st season of the new who. And its not every season where the Doctor changes, it's usually a few seasons. Only with the first season does the male lead leave. You get 3 seasons plus 4 movie specials with the 10th doctor and the current doctor has done 2 seasons and has plans for another.

Also, its really just a great show for sci-fi lovers. It really romanticizes sci-fi a bit because its not all about guns and spaceships and blowing up stuff. It's about figuring out how to save the day with your brain. That's usually what the Doctor does. He never uses a gun, he doesn't want to always kill "the bad guy". People do die, which makes it more heart wrenching at times, but ugggh. Seriously. I love it so much.
Back to top Go down
Amaranta
Star Seed

Amaranta

Star Seed

Title : Argenteenager

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 9:21 am

Community is my recently found TV love. It's so hilariously random and meta! The characters are awesome and clinically insane and I'm sucker for absurd humor, so yeah /excited.

I'm not really into TV. I mostly listen to music or hear radio shows. But I used to watch (and love) Buffy, Angel and That 70s show. I also watched LOST but never really understood it, so I can't say whether I liked it or not Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://madremarte.tumblr.com
SailorStarWind
Pyramidal Crystal

SailorStarWind

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : DEAD ACCOUNT left anime fandom to study

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 12:38 pm

SHERLOCK. Oh, how I love that show... I'm in the US, so I'm Netflixing it, and it's great. They made the Sherlock character a bit more vulgar/rude than his basis, but since it's set in modern times, it's believable (people aren't polite anymore, so the character "fits" better that way.) I wish it had a bit less adult stuff (the original books were more kid-safe) but the acting is brilliant, the plotlines leave me guessing until the end and the main actor is *SO* cute. ^_^

Also, I like the (actually somewhat similar) "Monk". We caught it on reruns a year or so ago, and were hooked. And since some of my family are OCD (although not as badly as Monk!) the OCD moments have a kind of "yeah, we understand, we did that..." sort of humor to them... Almost all of the main characters are really likable, too, even though they're kind of quirky.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 3:29 pm

GAAAAAAAH

ONCE UPON A TIME!

That's my current 'grown up' tv experience, and oooh is it love. ... (hellogoodbye is now stuck in my head. ... great)

and yes... WINTER IS COMING!! I can't wait for the next season of Game of Thrones. n_n I just.. I just sat there and tried to write about what I was most excited about for next season, but my head went asklfjeifmaiwefjaiwgowejif everything. So, everything. xD

I don't watch a lot of TV, and when I go back to campus on Sunday night I'll be watching netflix stuff (when I get time between studying and lesson planning...).

But things I have always recording on the DVR at my mom's house that I actually watch ('cause this season of The Mentalist and House are just sitting in there, unwatched...) is Adventure Time with Finn and Jake. Smile That show is full of win on so many levels. xD
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Siren
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 7:35 pm

Once Upon A Time is very good, I am loving it.

Also watching American Horror Story and haven't figured out if I love it yet, but it is good.
Back to top Go down
Alyssa
Pyramidal Crystal

Alyssa

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 7:50 pm

Has anyone here watched Daria? Smile
Back to top Go down
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 7:53 pm

I'm really into VH1 countdowns like (100 greatest) I like watching family guy and thats 70s show, also beavis and butthead..just realized my choice in programming is pretty dude-ish yet i'm pretty girly lol I'm one large walking paradox
Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 7:53 pm

oh and I love daria!
Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 8:39 pm

Alyssa wrote:
Has anyone here watched Daria? Smile

^^' My husband and I rewatched the entire series again last summer. It's a great show. ((We had them on in the background all the time xD))
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime5th November 2011, 9:01 pm

Lovely Lexi wrote:
I'm really into VH1 countdowns like (100 greatest) I like watching family guy and thats 70s show, also beavis and butthead..just realized my choice in programming is pretty dude-ish yet i'm pretty girly lol I'm one large walking paradox

Hahahaha Beavis & Butthead are fantastic; my fiance and I bought seasons 2 and 3 on DVD. Also, I could watch That 70s Show all day.

I don't have the cable hooked up in my room (I really need to stop being lazy...) but when I did, I was addicted to VH1 Classic. I also loved it when MTV2 would have Head Banger's Ball. (Girliest metal head ever...)

Also, I have no shame in saying I like a few Disney Channel shows. :B

Oh! And I re-watched a couple of episodes of Daria online. Hahaha I love it. Has anyone watched the UK show "Skins"? I guess most would think it's trashy, I don't know. I watched half of the series but have yet to finish it.
Back to top Go down
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 12:15 am

I'm not much good at tv, heh. The only thing I actually watch as it airs is a Swedish literature discussion program called Babel. ;;

Favourites that I HAVE watched, though, include:

- House of Cards, which is an older British political show. Full of scheming, murder and intrigue. Love it. Basically a politician who manipulates his way to the top.

- Granada's Sherlock Holmes, the one with Jeremy Brett. Gayer and more fabulous than all versions claiming to play up the fabulous gayness.

- the adaptations of Dorothy Sayers mysteries starring Edward Petherbridge & Harriet Walter as Lord Wimsey & Harriet Vane. Also fabulous. Wimsey/Vane is basically the best het ever and they do it so well.

...I note that I am displaying my weakness for a particular sort of fabulous yet stuffy British style here. O my. Err.... Yeah. I do usually pick my shows at least partly for the suits. Sorry. XD
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 7:02 am

oh also I LOVE Tosh.0!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 11:00 am

This is a tv show that my BF has been watching on Netflix lately. Its an older BBC sci-fi comedy called Red Dwarf. I think you could kind of compare to humor to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I haven't been paying close to attention to it, but man when I do, its freakin hilarious. If you can stand the dated film (which doesn't bother me at all), its awesome.
Back to top Go down
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 11:05 am

Red Dwarf. Omg my childhood. ;;; Used to love it so much. Not sure it's, uh, REALLY family viewing, but whatever. XDDDDD
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Amaranta
Star Seed

Amaranta

Star Seed

Title : Argenteenager

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 1:47 pm

I forgot to bring up how much I like Frasier, The Addams Family and The Nanny.

I think I'm not really into animation, except maybe for the old school Simpsons episodes,

Hey, speaking of cartoons, does anybody here like the old Nicktoons? I really liked -still do, actually- Doug and Hey Arnold! /forever a Helga G. Pataki fangirl. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://madremarte.tumblr.com
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 9:24 pm

Mystery Science Theater 3000 used to be one of my favorite shows to watch on television. I know they have since taken up RiffTrax, but I miss watching horrendous films with three silhouettes following and riffing on the action. It's too bad the Syfy Channel (back then the Sci-Fi Channel, when it bothered to actually show science fiction) cancelled MST3K back in 1999. In many ways, the appeal of MST3K was broad enough where you could appreciate it as a kid (as I did at the time) yet really come to recognize its brilliance upon reaching your 20s and later. Like Animaniacs, they had a superb writing team which could appeal to a combination of your adolescent and adult sensibilities.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 10:05 pm

Sailor Mercury wrote:
Mystery Science Theater 3000 used to be one of my favorite shows to watch on television. I know they have since taken up RiffTrax, but I miss watching horrendous films with three silhouettes following and riffing on the action. It's too bad the Syfy Channel (back then the Sci-Fi Channel, when it bothered to actually show science fiction) cancelled MST3K back in 1999. In many ways, the appeal of MST3K was broad enough where you could appreciate it as a kid (as I did at the time) yet really come to recognize its brilliance upon reaching your 20s and later. Like Animaniacs, they had a superb writing team which could appeal to a combination of your adolescent and adult sensibilities.

This!! For some reason I don't remember watching it too much as a kid, but Netflix has tons of MST3k on their streaming. I have watching just about everything on there and then almost all of the Rifftrax stuff. Me and the bf kinda slightly love them. Razz
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime6th November 2011, 10:10 pm

Amaranta wrote:
I forgot to bring up how much I like Frasier, The Addams Family and The Nanny.

I think I'm not really into animation, except maybe for the old school Simpsons episodes,

Hey, speaking of cartoons, does anybody here like the old Nicktoons? I really liked -still do, actually- Doug and Hey Arnold! /forever a Helga G. Pataki fangirl. Razz

Haha, no shame. I adore Nicktoons, and cartoons of my childhood like Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, etc. Very Happy
Also, I have a soft spot for Saved By the Bell; I love late 80s early 90s cheesyness. I even bought the first four seasons. XD

Sailor Mercury wrote:

I've watched a couple of episodes of that! It was great.

Is anyone into Dexter? I've watched up to season two I think. I really don't like crime shows at all, but Dexter is one of those rarities!
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime9th November 2011, 5:40 am

I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead and The Big Bang Theory. With The Big Bang Theory, the original premisis caught me off guard that I was instantly hooked - plus, I use to be a huge fan of Roseanne and seeing other actors from that show (besides the one that plays Lennard) make cameos, is very funny to me at least.

As for the Walking Dead, it was a different take on the whole "zombie" genré. I will definitely be one of the first people to tell you that I am completely SICK of the overused zombie theme. Walking Dead took a different approach to it though that I found amusing to the point that I have it set to record new episodes on my DVR.

Other than that...I'm not much of a TV watch as I am a movie goer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime9th November 2011, 4:51 pm

Paprika wrote:
I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead and The Big Bang Theory. With The Big Bang Theory, the original premisis caught me off guard that I was instantly hooked - plus, I use to be a huge fan of Roseanne and seeing other actors from that show (besides the one that plays Lennard) make cameos, is very funny to me at least.

As for the Walking Dead, it was a different take on the whole "zombie" genré. I will definitely be one of the first people to tell you that I am completely SICK of the overused zombie theme. Walking Dead took a different approach to it though that I found amusing to the point that I have it set to record new episodes on my DVR.

Btw, Walking Dead is based off of a comic series from the 90s. So i guess you could say it was made before the zombies fad got really tiring like it is now a days. ^^ I think a lot of the overuse of zombie themes for me is just all the zombie video games that come out. Granted, they are fun as hell to play though. XD
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime9th November 2011, 6:43 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
Paprika wrote:

Btw, Walking Dead is based off of a comic series from the 90s. So i guess you could say it was made before the zombies fad got really tiring like it is now a days. ^^ I think a lot of the overuse of zombie themes for me is just all the zombie video games that come out. Granted, they are fun as hell to play though. XD

That is very cool to know! Thanks for sharing Brit-chan! ^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
Plum
Star Seed

Plum

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 9:28 pm

Since my main "job" is my Etsy store, I spend most of my day crafting in front of the TV, so... I watch a lot of it. Of the shows that have new episodes during this month, I'm watching:

1) How I Met Your Mother (Just started that one a couple of months ago!)
2) Glee
3) The Biggest Loser
4) Workaholics
5) Modern Family
6) South Park
7) Grey's Anatomy
Cool Private Practice
9) The Vampire Diaries
10) The Office
11) Desperate Housewives
12) Dexter
13) Adventure Time
14) My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
15) It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia
16) Gold Rush (As of last week, thanks to my husband...)

If you were to argue that Glee was trash, I wouldn't disagree.

Today I also watched three movies, and I'll probably read for three hours before I go to sleep. I am a media whore.
Back to top Go down
http://thegrownupsarelying.blogspot.com
Halfpixieman
Lotus Crystal

Halfpixieman

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sarah

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime10th November 2011, 9:34 pm

GLEE IS AWESOME!

I don't watch much TV at all. I just happen to walk past and just see something interesting and I'll watch it for a while.

Though if I have to choose:

Glee, The Big Bang Theory, Good News Week (Australian show), The Gruen Transfer (Australian show), Beauty and the Geek, Underbelly (Australian show), Rules of Engagement and Spicks and Specks (Australian show).

Shows I watch that aren't on my TV or aren't on anymore are:

Anything by Chris Lilley (Australian director/writer/actor), Offspring (Australian show), That 70s Show and Archer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Non trashy TV shows!   Non trashy TV shows! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Non trashy TV shows!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top