The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[Critique Request] Fan Fiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blake
Pyramidal Crystal

Blake

Pyramidal Crystal

[Critique Request] Fan Fiction Empty
PostSubject: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime19th January 2014, 4:28 pm

Hi, everyone.

So, I've been writing this fanfiction for almost a year, it's still not ready to be published, but I have a big concern about it and so far I've only relied on my friend's opinion, and she's not a fan of Sailor Moon, at least not as much as us.
Well, I thought that the best way to solve my question was to publish the first chapter here, so that I can get critique from fellow Sailor Moon fans. My main concern is, is this first chapter engaging enough? Does it make you want to read more?

Any suggestions are welcome. Also, to make a little introduction, this fan fiction is about the time of the Silver Millennium, from beginning to end.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://underworldrevolution.tumblr.com
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Lotus Crystal

mercury_viola_rhapsody

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime19th January 2014, 5:13 pm

It sounds.... too much like an instruction manual? Or too much like a textbook about the history of the Silver Millennium instead of a story?

Sorry if this isn't very good... :bunnypokerface
Back to top Go down
http://randomnessandfantasy.tumblr.com/
Blake
Pyramidal Crystal

Blake

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime20th January 2014, 8:39 am

I kind of understand what you're saying. Although in my defense, the rest of the chapters are nothing like this one.
Simply put, it's just the beggining.
I'll try to read it again and see what I can improve, although I would appreciate more critique (hint, hint). Thank you, = )
Back to top Go down
Anait Zelleire
Lotus Crystal

Anait Zelleire

Lotus Crystal

Title : 'some witty/deep quote about life that makes ppl laugh/think here'

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime20th January 2014, 4:59 pm

Blake wrote:
Hi, everyone.

So, I've been writing this fanfiction for almost a year, it's still not ready to be published, but I have a big concern about it and so far I've only relied on my friend's opinion, and she's not a fan of Sailor Moon, at least not as much as us.
Well, I thought that the best way to solve my question was to publish the first chapter here, so that I can get critique from fellow Sailor Moon fans. My main concern is, is this first chapter engaging enough? Does it make you want to read more?

Any suggestions are welcome. Also, to make a little introduction, this fan fiction is about the time of the Silver Millennium, from beginning to end.

Previous to the origins of the stars and life as we know it, there was the Galaxy Cauldron. It was a magical, warm place filled with a welcoming light that brought hope. From it, life is born in the form of star seeds.
There used to be a time when light and dark were one and the same in the Cauldron, but this changed once life itself began. Seeds destined to light were created and separated from the darkness. Some of these seeds released a light stronger than the rest. These will be known as Sailor Crystals, which are star seeds that contain great power.
The timeline here needs some adjustment.  It feels like you're jumping back and forth and doesn't flow like time does very well.
Quote :
While this was happening, a large explosion was happening in the rest of the universe which originated an infinity of galaxies, planets, asteroids and more. All seeds are destined to a certain planet, and when this planet is created, the seeds begin their travel to them.
Ok, so explosions don't work exactly that way where it would continuously coincide with another event.  Maybe a better way to phrase it would be to say that an explosion occurred and the planets and so on are being created from the remnant energy and material from the explosion.  More detail here would greatly  benefit the story.  Maybe research information about how the Big Bang theory would have worked with the creation of the planets.
Quote :
The most powerful Sailor Crystal in the universe went to the Moon, accompanied by a lot other star seeds. One of them followed it from afar, its glow was weak and gray.
When the Silver Crystal, the name of the mentioned Sailor Crystal, arrived to its destiny, it started to shine with a bright pink light which took the shape of a female human. She was and adult woman, long silver hair with a slight lavender tone to it. Even though she was naked, an energy field coming from her crystal was protecting her.

Before her eyes, countless white sparkles appeared leaving being a small sky blue eyed woman, her white hair decorated with pearls around it, and crossing her forehead as well. She also worn a necklace of the same material, and a dress that took on a round shape from her hips. Holding with her left hand a staff that had a shining ball on its top.
I really like how you describe her in these two paragraphs.  Visual detail is always good even if it's just a little!! Something to watch out for are tenses (past, present, future) agreeing.  In sentences and paragraphs make sure the tenses are consistent.  If this is currently happening in the story then use present tense but don't use past tense but if you are describing something that happened in the past make sure to use past tense and not present tense.
Quote :
“Who are you?” the silver haired woman asked.

“My name is Guardian Cosmos,” she answered. “I’m the protector of the Galaxy Cauldron, the place where you were born, and I also guard the Cosmos Crystal. Now that life has begun all around universe, my duty is to guide stars like you to fulfill their mission.”

“Mission?”

“Yes. Your name is Serenity, you possess the Sailor Crystal that protects this star, the Moon. Your mission is to protect it. If an evil being ever threatens the peace of this place, you must use the power of your star seed to vanquish it.”

“And what about these star seeds?”

“With the power of your Silver Crystal, you can make them turn into humans as well, and you can also use your power to create a kingdom in which these stars can live,” she informed Serenity.

Serenity nods to let Cosmos know she understands.

“It is important as well that both you and the inhabitants of the Moon, watch over the evolution of human beings in that blue planet you can see in the sky called Earth, and guide them in the good path. Do you think you’ll be able to fulfill both these missions?”

“Yes, I will.”

“Good, I must go now. As you know, there are many other stars like you that need guidance to help maintain the peace of the universe. I wish you luck, goodbye,” Guardian Cosmos said, releasing a white light that faded along with her.
You did the exchange for this conversation well however the way that this conversation and even the meeting itself presents some conflict with what else has been said so far in this story.  First off why does Guardian Cosmos appear after Serenity has already reached the moon?  She has already reached her destination she no longer needs a guide.  The information given to her (the missions) as well don't need stating exactly, if she has the intelligence that you have implied that she has then she already knows everything she needs to know.  Either she needs a guide completely or she doesn't.  The information about the other planets and their seeds in the solar system doesn't really need to be said as well but the information could be offered up more subtly or not even explained all the way at all.  If this information is important to you should go into much more detail and don't use a character to say it but use the story itself, like you did in the beginning.
Quote :
Once she vanished away from her sight, the Silver Crystal appeared before her, so she took it in her hands. She focused on what Cosmos said, and the crystal emitted a golden light that spread itself through the Moon. Because of this power, the Silver Millennium was created and the star seeds were able to become human beings and automatically recognized her as their queen.

“Welcome to our kingdom, the Silver Millennium. I’m Queen Serenity, I will be the ruler of this kingdom, and together we will fulfill a very important mission. Please, look up to the sky. Can you see that blue planet over there?” she said.

The people of the kingdom do as Serenity says, and in fact find the planet she just mentioned.

“We were given the mission to take care of it from this place and guide its people. I hope you can help me with this task.”

“Of course,” the people responded all at once.

By the end of this reunion, Queen Serenity and the rest of the people celebrated the beginning of the Silver Millennium by throwing a party in which everyone met each other. In the middle of it, Serenity went to a balcony to watch the Earth, wondering what the future holds for her.
 [/spoiler]
The advancement of the moon kingdom happens way to fast here and needs more detail.  Did they just appear there or did they have to evolve and grow?  How many years did it take?  There isn't anything wrong with it but as a reader I want to know so much about it!! Detail is you're friend, there can never be too much of it!!

I myself don't know an extravagant amount of Sailor Moon and it's universe but I am a college student so papers and essays are fresh on my mind!! Smile  Overall it looks good and I can't wait to see what surprises you have in store for us to read!! XD
Back to top Go down
http://anaitlovesall.tumblr.com
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime20th January 2014, 5:23 pm

Hi! I'm always a fan of beginning-of-Silver-Millennium stories, but I understand your concern here about this chapter being engaging and making the readers want to continue when it's so heavy in history. You replied to Viola's comment by saying that this chapter's style is much different than the style of the rest of your story, and as it is your background information, perhaps consider making it a "Forward" rather than Chapter One, and place it before your Chapter One as a bit of background info for those who aren't familiar with the story. That way, readers could skip over it if they really want to see what the story is about, yet they have it available should they want to know more about how your universe began.

As to your request for suggestions, I went through the story and offered bits of stuff here or there in regards to sentence structure and flow and whatnot. ^^ Use or don't use, it's up to you!
Picking through your stuff:

Again, I always love Silver Millennium stories and the 'little grey star seed' you mentioned has got me all curious about what this one will be about ((lol, and that doesn't happen often)), but if this were the opening chapter I might just take that little idea, tuck it away, and move on, as the rest of the chapter doesn't mention that interesting plot point again. My suggestion is that if your story involves that little star seed, perhaps throw them in at the end as a teaser. Include that person in the final sentence, just as a teaser and a verification - a way of saying "Yes, this is whom this story is about, keep reading if you want to know more!" without having to write an author's note about it.  In fact, if you did end it with a note about that star seed, I would retract earlier statements about making this a Forward and suggest keeping it as an opening chapter, as it would pull at the reader's attention again at the very end and make them want to continue moving forward. =)

... ^^' and if the story has nothing to do with the little grey starseed, at the end you should still hint at what the story will be about, the main characters or the main problem that the characters will face, just to tempt the reader into moving forward.

^^' Hope this helped a bit!
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Blake
Pyramidal Crystal

Blake

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime20th January 2014, 6:33 pm

Thanks for both your critiques. I kind of didn't realize I was jumping from tense to tense. It's probably because this was originally written in Spanish (since that's my first language) and it's no excuse, but I translated it really fast.
I'll take your advice and try to improve this chapter, and also clarify some things I wasn't clear enough about.
Once again, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime20th January 2014, 7:04 pm

You're welcome!

And omg I forgot your first language was Spanish! ((so major compliments to you! ^^))
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Anait Zelleire
Lotus Crystal

Anait Zelleire

Lotus Crystal

Title : 'some witty/deep quote about life that makes ppl laugh/think here'

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime22nd January 2014, 1:49 pm

Oh wow I didn't know your first language was in Spanish!! That is way more talent than I have!!  If you need help when translating it over let me know, I'm happy to help XD
Back to top Go down
http://anaitlovesall.tumblr.com
Blake
Pyramidal Crystal

Blake

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime22nd January 2014, 3:55 pm

First of all, thank you for your compliments. I'm not that talented though, hehe.
So, I just finished working on the chapter, I followed your advice and I hope I improved it.
I suppose I should post it here for approval (?), so that's what I'm gonna do.
Spoiler:

In case some of the fixes didn't clarify what I initially meant, I'd like to explain that the white sparks were meant to be Cosmos teleporting in front of Serenity. Also, my head was clearly not working when I thought "As you know..." would be a non-misleading, good part of the dialogue, hahaha.

If there's any other suggestions you guys would like to give me after reading this, please do.
Back to top Go down
Blake
Pyramidal Crystal

Blake

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime1st March 2014, 10:10 am

It's just me, bumping this thing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Critique Request] Fan Fiction   [Critique Request] Fan Fiction I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Critique Request] Fan Fiction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top