The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

[SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 9:56 am

By kids I meant way younger than them lol. Like actual tiny humans xD
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Nephrite

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 10:11 am

You mean spawns of the devil, those creatures? xD

Please note I am joking xD
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 11:36 am

Sailor Mercury wrote:
I've had this thought for a long time and I really need to let it out: I hate it that the English dub called them sailor scouts instead of sailor guardians or sailor soldiers. It completely gives the wrong impression of what they are and what they do. Now I just wince every time I read that term >.>

It's because in 1990s America SOLDIERS and WARRIORS is too strong of for children's TV. EVEN THOUGH WE GOT RONIN WARRIOS AND THEY CALLED THEM "Z WARRIORS" in Dragonball Z. SO WHO THE EFF KNOWS.  (also it was DIC. Wtf you expect. They were like epitome of super children shows in the 90s).

Also speaking of that, I don't know if this is unpopular opinion or not but...I'm not a fan of Sailor Guardians* or the fact that Naoko wanted that to be what it officially is. I LOVE the term Sailor Soldier, especially since its ALL OVER in the Myus (Myu totally was the first to use the term Sailor Soldier if i recall and was the first to bringup the idea of Sailor War too). Soooo....THATS ME. SAILOR SOLDIERS ALL THE WAY. (Notice how i rarely use Guardians in RP posts lol)

* Exception is for the live action show since it is its own canon and it works fine in that for me. <3
Back to top Go down
Sailor Makoto
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Makoto

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 11:44 am

Small Lady wrote:
Sailor Mercury wrote:
I've had this thought for a long time and I really need to let it out: I hate it that the English dub called them sailor scouts instead of sailor guardians or sailor soldiers. It completely gives the wrong impression of what they are and what they do. Now I just wince every time I read that term >.>

It's because in 1990s America SOLDIERS and WARRIORS is too strong of for children's TV. EVEN THOUGH WE GOT RONIN WARRIOS AND THEY CALLED THEM "Z WARRIORS" in Dragonball Z. SO WHO THE EFF KNOWS.  (also it was DIC. Wtf you expect. They were like epitome of super children shows in the 90s).

Also speaking of that, I don't know if this is unpopular opinion or not but...I'm not a fan of Sailor Guardians* or the fact that Naoko wanted that to be what it officially is. I LOVE the term Sailor Soldier, especially since its ALL OVER in the Myus (Myu totally was the first to use the term Sailor Soldier if i recall and was the first to bringup the idea of Sailor War too). Soooo....THATS ME. SAILOR SOLDIERS ALL THE WAY. (Notice how i rarely use Guardians in RP posts lol)

* Exception is for the live action show since it is its own canon and it works fine in that for me. <3

Gee, an animated series about characters who fight (i.e. GI Joe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) and in live-action (Mighty Morphin Power Rangers), but Sailor Moon? [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 1023433532 "GASP, a girls' show" said critics of 1990s children's television. [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 2276477511 "Soldier" is strong, compared to other 1990s girls shows depicting the characters as "fairies", except 2000s Winx Club fairies were not weak (if you actually watched it, you understand). Parent media watchdog groups made "warrior" shows have PSAs in the end of the episodes..."now I know", and reply: " and knowing is half the battle" - GI Joe. [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 3884866259
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 11:44 am

Selective bias is the best lmao xD

But PGSM wouldn't be PGSM without Guardian so there.

I prefer Soldier too. It's "Sailor Soldier" or "Pretty Guardian", there we can have both.
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 11:59 am

I like Guardians because they do guard, they protect, as Soldiers, it feels like more like warriors. I think ultimately they do both tasks, so using both is fine with me.
Back to top Go down
PrincesseNee
Lotus Crystal

PrincesseNee

Lotus Crystal

Title : Spread the love, people! ~Lover of Inner Senshi~
Location : Where Peace, Love, and Gumdrops are! AKA My Imagination. :3

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 12:04 pm

Sailor Mercury wrote:
I like "soldier" personally, as I find it to be more empowering. The girls do essentially fight as an group using various attacks so I think they go under the soldier category. It also has the same syllable sound as senshi ("sol-dier" = "sen-shi") so it flows better in translation. But "guardian" is fine as well, as they do symbolize their respective planets whilst protecting it from various threats.

Last edited by PrincesseNee on 10th April 2016, 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Usa-chan
Lotus Crystal

Usa-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : smol

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 12:09 pm

I absolutely despise the term "Sailor Scouts" and how so many people in English speaking countries still refer to them as that. When I hear someone say that, the only thing I can think of is "nanny Luna" shouting "SCOUTS ASSEMBLE!" and I cringe so hard that part of me dies. 

Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion, but I prefer the usage of "soldiers" for the anime/manga canon and the term "guardian" to be used only for the live action. "PGSM" is an easy term to differentiate between the different canons which just makes sense to me. But "Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon" is just so much catchier than "Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon"
Back to top Go down
http://rabbitofthemoonlight.tumblr.com/ http://rabbitofthemoonlight.tumblr.com/
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 12:15 pm

I think ya'll are of the popular opinion about hating scouts. I don't hate it, its nostalgic cause I grew up on it, but I have nothing against it.
Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 3:36 pm

I also prefer senshi to be translated as "soldier" or "guardian". Maybe it's an American thing, but when I hear the word "scout" I think Girl Scouts i.e. girls outside grocery stores selling cookies. XD;; But I can see why Toei decided to go with "guardian" rather than "soldier" for their official English translations; the word "soldier" might be slightly too strong a word, with a militaristic connotation, to be good for marketing overseas.
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 4:57 pm

mangaka-chan wrote:
I also prefer senshi to be translated as "soldier" or "guardian". Maybe it's an American thing, but when I hear the word "scout" I think Girl Scouts i.e. girls outside grocery stores selling cookies. XD;; But I can see why Toei decided to go with "guardian" rather than "soldier" for their official English translations; the word "soldier" might be slightly too strong a word, with a militaristic connotation, to be good for marketing overseas.

I think you made a really excellent point and probably is why they went with it. This is supposed to be marketed to girls, no boys, and while some boys will like it, they need to think of their target audience. The word Soldier, because of its military connotations would probably turn a lot of young first time readers off.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime10th April 2016, 10:51 pm

I thought Naoko was the one who chose 'guardian' as the official English translation. Not sure if she had the same thinking behind it, but the girls are called that way in PGSM as well, which she's had a more personal involvement with than, say, the anime (though I'm not sure how it works with Myu).
Back to top Go down
Silver Wings
Star Seed

Silver Wings

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime11th April 2016, 4:43 am

1) Chibi Usa is my favorite character...I don't see anything wrong with her ^^; 

2) I wish Professor Tomoe and Kaolinite had ended up together

3) I found the second part of Stars rather boring with the exception of the last few episodes

4) Saturn didn't get any screen time.
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime11th April 2016, 5:44 am

Sailor Mercury wrote:
I thought Naoko was the one who chose 'guardian' as the official English translation. Not sure if she had the same thinking behind it, but the girls are called that way in PGSM as well, which she's had a more personal involvement with than, say, the anime (though I'm not sure how it works with Myu).

She may have chosen it because of the connotations which is why I prefer Guardian over Soldier.
Back to top Go down
Neo King Helios
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : ~GC's Official Helios!~

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime16th August 2016, 4:06 am

I think an unpopular opinion would be is the constant redemption of the villains. I swear besides Beryl and the Dark Kingdom (and we didn't even see Metalia), the other villains just didn't click with me. 

After the first seasons there was this obsession with redeeming villains, as if they were never truly at fault. Sailor Galaxia's corruption I understand (I actually loved how they redeemed her because in the manga I can't get over how she was just a lonely star trying to look for a brighter one to be with) but the other villains- Tomoe, Nehelia, etc...

All those redemptions just seemed way too "there is no such thing as evil" and "everyone deserves a second chance even though they're ruined people's lives and tormented your future daughter". That was one aspect I liked from the manga, which truly showed that these characters are far from redemption so they had to be destroyed (i.e Usagi not having a choice of killing Tomoe)

I'm just gonna mention Steven Universe here- but much like SU, not every gem he encounters can be swayed to join the Crystal Gems, it just makes the concept of good and evil more viable, and therefore there should be the idea in SM that not every villain can be redeemed. They chose to be evil for a reason, them being given redemption just makes it seem like they didn't actually ruin people's lives and try to kill Usagi and team.

But, yeah, from this little rant Classics Galaxia is exempted, because she defo deserved that redemption, and because T-T Sailor Stars song <3
Back to top Go down
http://johnnyquartzuniverse.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/c/johnsacapano
Devereau Laelithar
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : GC's Official Demon

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime30th August 2016, 3:56 pm

I think the redemption of the villains plays into the 90's series as a whole motif of "love and friendship" and all the fluff that entails. 

I dislike the fact that Haruka and Michiru didn't get any time in the SuperS season (except that one special that I've only been able to find once in my life...I hope they bring the specials over with the new VIZ releases!). 

I was also somewhat disappointed by the Stars season...when I was first big into BSSM and all you could find in America was parts of the first season on VHS, I used to find snippets of the Stars season online and I thought it looked super awesome. Finally got to see it some ten or so years later...and it was pretty boring, up until the end. Maybe it would have been more awesome to me if I had seen it back when I was 11? I don't know. But that's my biggest letdown.
Back to top Go down
http://shinraslave.mutated-butterfly.com
Sailor Lily
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Lily

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime31st August 2016, 9:59 am

I interpret Michiru as bisexual. I know she's with Haruka and loves her with all her heart and vice versa but she has flirted with the opposite gender a couple times that makes me think that it's not entirely impossible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime   [SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[SPOILER] Unpopular Opinions on the anime

View previous topic View next topic Back to top