The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime6th October 2012, 9:44 pm

It says プリンス・デマンド, transliterally "Purinsu・Demando"
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime6th October 2012, 9:48 pm

Yeah so, then I think Demand is a good one to go with.
Back to top Go down
Louchan
Star Seed

Louchan

Star Seed

Title : 月の光は愛のメッセージ

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime20th October 2012, 5:58 pm

I'm sure I spell a lot of names a bit differently than usual, but our dear prince of the black moon is first to pop into mind.

I don't know why but the name "Prince Demand" just drives me nuts. I can't stand it. I just have to call him Prince Diamond. And I know, it's not correct, the katakana show his name being spelled as "Demando", so it was clearly not even attempted to spell out "diamond", but I just... I can't refer to him by that name. And I have a bit of a hard time with Esmeraude too, I think Emerald just sounds a lot better. And it's not because it was used in the dub, I didn't grow up with the english dub, I grew up with the swedish and while I can't remember Diamond's name in it I remember very clearly that Emerald was named Esmeralda.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime24th October 2012, 12:09 am

Oh new fact, there is a word "demantoid", it is a completely different gemstone but shares many properties with diamonds, its name means "diamond-like" this is approximated in Japanese as デマントイ デマンド may have been a contraction of this or perhaps Naoko thought to try and remove the "toid" part to make it simply a variation on the word "diamond".
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime17th November 2015, 5:39 pm

Houyou no Senshi wrote:
As we know there's many characters in Sailor Moon whose name romanisations can cause trouble when they're not being transliterated~ So what do you guys prefer, any characters are alright here. And there's no wrong or right answers [except Tellur and Kaolinite... Wink]

Lmao I agree with you on the Kaolinite one. Kaolinite is Kaolinite in English because science rocks geology.

Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 6kaolin143aDon't make me throw chunks of kaolinite at you people to prove it! Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 1955989781 Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 6kaolin143aXD As a geologist, I am totally capable! Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 3884866259

Although I would consider Tellur the proper English name (especially if she is indeed named after tellurite as opposed to tellurium), I still prefer Tellu. Why? Assuming that the pronunciation parallels tellurite minus the -ite, I don't like the sound of Tellur (Tell-YER) as a name. If however the pronunciation of her name is based instead upon tellurium, it would sound more like te-LEWR, which I think I would be okay with... xD

Houyou no Senshi wrote:
Oh new fact, there is a word "demantoid", it is a completely different gemstone but shares many properties with diamonds, its name means "diamond-like" this is approximated in Japanese as デマントイド デマンド may have been a contraction of this or perhaps Naoko thought to try and remove the "toid" part to make it simply a variation on the word "diamond".
That's an interesting possibility. I like it! It definitely sounds better than using andradite. xD
Back to top Go down
Empress Vesta
Lotus Crystal

Empress Vesta

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official VesVes/Sailor Vesta and GC's Official Sailor Quartet Lover

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime17th November 2015, 8:32 pm

I usually spell his name like Prince Demando, along with Rubeus, Saphir, and Esmeraude. For the outers' last names, I usually go with Tenoh, Kaioh, and Meiou. Fisheye is Fisheye to me, and Nehelalaland i sometimes have trouble with, but I usually go with Nehellenia. Also I'm never sure whether it's Zoisite or Zoicite, but I usually go with Zoisite with an s.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/senshiofthewild
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime17th November 2015, 8:47 pm

Andalusite wrote:

Although I would consider Tellur the proper English name (especially if she is indeed named after tellurite as opposed to tellurium), I still prefer Tellu. Why? Assuming that the pronunciation parallels tellurite minus the -ite, I don't like the sound of Tellur (Tell-YER) as a name. If however the pronunciation of her name is based instead upon tellurium, it would sound more like te-LEWR, which I think I would be okay with... xD

I think even though it would be spelled "Tellur" the way its pronounced in Japanese, its still "Tellu", so its more or less a romanization thing rather than a pronunciation thing. But now it makes me want to find a part in either the anime or the musicals where they pronounced her name to see how it sounds. xD
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime21st November 2015, 12:14 am

Empress Vesta wrote:
Also I'm never sure whether it's Zoisite or Zoicite, but I usually go with Zoisite with an s.
The mineral is spelled with an s if that helps. Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 868675979

Small Lady wrote:

I think even though it would be spelled "Tellur" the way its pronounced in Japanese, its still "Tellu", so its more or less a romanization thing rather than a pronunciation thing.
I guess I don't understand how the romanization and pronunciation can be separated, since the way it transliterated (/spelled) would affect the way people pronounce the name in their language. (E.i. I don't see how Tellu (Te-LEW) and Tellur (Tell-YER (Te-LEWR?) could be pronounced the same way.)

That being said, I still like how “Tellur” keeps consistent with the mineral name; I just can't ignore the R and I personally don't like sound of the mineral as a person's name. XD Seriously though, how can that R be silent? Witchcraft Razz

Small Lady wrote:
But now it makes me want to find a part in either the anime or the musicals where they pronounced her name to see how it sounds. xD
Hahaha You totally made me curious! Curious enough that I skipped to the end of Mimet(e)'s last episode just to hear how they pronounced the name. Personally, I could hear the “r” at the end (maybe from taking so many phonetics classes? xD;), but it wasn't anything super apparent. In addition, I think you are right though that they based the English “Tellu” on the original sound of her name, which I find strange since Mimet(e), Cyprine, Ptilol, and Eudial's names are romanized to the reflect the internationally accepted spellings of the minerals instead. XD Viluy's name on the other hand reflects the (variant?) spelling of the Russian locality for which her mineral was named...So I guess she and Tellu are the renegades. XD
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

Princess Sailor Mai

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime23rd November 2015, 12:31 am

Prince Diamond
Kaolinite
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer   Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spelling the Character Names: What Do You Prefer

View previous topic View next topic Back to top