The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 8:31 pm

Small Lady wrote:
I don't get why everyone thinks S is so dark...SuperS is pretty crazy.

Well, there was the Outers' whole "Let's murder this innocent little kid just in case she might maybe but we don't know for sure became a really bad guy person!" subplot and Hotaru's whole childhood was downright abusive and depressing and Haruka basically commits suicide in one episode.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 8:44 pm

Well yeah while that is there, i don't think it makes it the "OMG DARKEST BESTESST SEASON EVARRRRRRR". :/
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 8:56 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Moonlight Lady wrote:
Yamichan16 wrote:
Why SuperS?

Because of Fisheye and the whole Amazon trio tactics and attacks. Also Chibiusa/Helios.

I know where you are coming from actually. I personally feel SuperS is actually pretty grim if you look into it deeply. I don't get why everyone thinks S is so dark...SuperS is pretty crazy.

I don't mind Chibi Usa/Helios so much because it's show as being very very innocent and its ok cause Helio isn't ACTUALLY A HORSE like everyone wants to believe (granted chibi usa did fall for the horse person...but i think she fell more for the idea of this mysterious person seeking her out in her dreams and needing her. It was the romance of the feeling that she was necessary and important. Something very Chibi-Usa.) Anyway...

If you really think about it, while the episodes may have been portrayed lightly in SuperS, the concepts of looking into someone's dreams without their permission are really akin to rape, etc. And how the amazon trio basically force there way on people, especially women in Tiger's Eye and Hawk's Eye's case. I guess if you are homophobic or don't want ot have to explain it to your kid, then I can understand the problems with Fisheye (hence why his gender is changed in the Cloverway dub of SuperS). However, I've noticed that crossdressing happens like A LOT in anime and other media in japan. Its rampant in the Myus and those were intended for little kids (granted if you see some of the audiences you notice more adults than kids for some of the shows XD).

*cough* Anyway back on topic.

I think the general consensus is that: Yes, Sailor Moon, the anime, is a show intended for kids, but possibly with parental guidance for some episodes. Some content is more acceptable in some countries and less acceptable in others and it really just all depends on the maturity of the child, but over all, its a kids show that people of all ages can enjoy. Smile

Your points all make sense. The goal of the Dead Moon Circus is pretty grim. It's just the anime didn't really show how grim it was expect for a few episodes? Not really sure seeing how I haven't watched it in awhile.

As to S being the OMG IT'S THE DARKNESS SEASON EVER!!! I for one would never call it that. Each season has its grim moments. Classic and R had draining the life out people, S had stealing people's hearts, SuperS had looking into people's dreams by raping them and Stars had wiping people out existence. It all comes down to how the anime portray it. In my opinion I think S was portray a little bit darker than in Supers (anime speaking).
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 8:58 pm

Neon Genesis wrote:
Small Lady wrote:
I don't get why everyone thinks S is so dark...SuperS is pretty crazy.

Well, there was the Outers' whole "Let's murder this innocent little kid just in case she might maybe but we don't know for sure became a really bad guy person!" subplot and Hotaru's whole childhood was downright abusive and depressing and Haruka basically commits suicide in one episode.

I don't think the ethical theme of sacrifice which is rampant in S makes it THAT dark though. All the seasons have that in some level...but off topic...
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 9:05 pm

But in the other seasons the Sailor Soldiers made the choice to sacrifice themselves. In S, the Outers were going to sacrifice Hotaru against her will which when you get down to it is essentially attempted murder.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 9:06 pm

Isn't that more in the manga than the anime though?
Back to top Go down
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Sailor Ceres/Cere Cere

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 9:12 pm

I think your really trying to hold everything little thing against sailor moon do it isn't child appropriate. I would let my kids watch sailor moon over half the junk on tv now.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Ethereal_Wishes http://ethereal-wishes.tumblr.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 9:14 pm

Same here Anjyu. I would also show them old sitcoms because they had episodes about situations that people actually go through.
Back to top Go down
sailor swifty
Lotus Crystal

sailor swifty

Lotus Crystal

Title : Space Princess

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:03 pm

Japan dose have different standers then what people in the US may have. that's why a lot of people see the original and think it was for older kid.
Back to top Go down
http://serenitysmoonpalace.com/palace/index.php http://sailor-swifty.tumblr.com/
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:09 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Moonlight Lady wrote:
Yamichan16 wrote:
Why SuperS?

Because of Fisheye and the whole Amazon trio tactics and attacks. Also Chibiusa/Helios.

I know where you are coming from actually. I personally feel SuperS is actually pretty grim if you look into it deeply. I don't get why everyone thinks S is so dark...SuperS is pretty crazy.

I don't mind Chibi Usa/Helios so much because it's show as being very very innocent and its ok cause Helio isn't ACTUALLY A HORSE like everyone wants to believe (granted chibi usa did fall for the horse person...but i think she fell more for the idea of this mysterious person seeking her out in her dreams and needing her. It was the romance of the feeling that she was necessary and important. Something very Chibi-Usa.) Anyway...

If you really think about it, while the episodes may have been portrayed lightly in SuperS, the concepts of looking into someone's dreams without their permission are really akin to rape, etc. And how the amazon trio basically force there way on people, especially women in Tiger's Eye and Hawk's Eye's case. I guess if you are homophobic or don't want ot have to explain it to your kid, then I can understand the problems with Fisheye (hence why his gender is changed in the Cloverway dub of SuperS). However, I've noticed that crossdressing happens like A LOT in anime and other media in japan. Its rampant in the Myus and those were intended for little kids (granted if you see some of the audiences you notice more adults than kids for some of the shows XD).

In the Amazon trio arc of SuperS it's all about seducing people, using forgery - Fisheye pretends to be woman to get men, who are into women, Tigereye pretends to by dying to play with Naru's sympathy, Hawkseye makes himself similar to late husband of widow... They also mock their victims, speak about them in derogatory terms and their strategy planning resembles guys discussing pickups.

Yes, it can be said that these are tactics of villains and presented as such, but young kids wouldn't get it. There is too much emphasis on "romance" in this arc, which isn't for kids...

With Chibiusa/Helios IMO the creators couldn't decide whether they write this as a serious romance or a girl with her magical friend (actually, I would have less problems if he was a horse). Helios is clearly attracted to six year old Chibiusa. And they do share two kisses (twice as many as Usagi and Mamoru in that season, I'm not bitter, of course), which are treated as big deal in anime - most couples even don't get one.

And I don't find most of the humour light, but rather mean and depending on somebody's expense. It may be because of the circus theme.

S and Stars may be dark, but they have idealistic resolutions.
Back to top Go down
http://neoma2.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:10 pm

ChibiUsa isn't 6 years old in that season though. She's like in middle school at that point isn't she? She was only really young in the R season...
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:20 pm

I don't think so - she is still in the same grade as Momo, her friend form R. She may look older as sailor senshi, but as civilian, she's about six.

And IMO anime creators did feel uneasy about that pairing, hence Peruru in SuperS movie.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:24 pm

I'm pretty sure they are all older though. o.o Even though Momo is still with her, they are just in the same class but older grade. Also the anime is REALLY funny about timelines and Chibi-Usa's age. To me her age and the way she acts in SuperS is more of a 10 or 11 year old.

The manga makes it a bit more clear she is older.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:31 pm

Yes, the manga makes it- she and Helios are both kinda "timeless" and it is played more seriously.

She was five in R, so she's six in S and SuperS. Visually she didn't age much, except for her senshi form. And she acts like that, because she spends her whole time around elders - which so isn't healthy.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:34 pm

Why is it not healthy for her to hang out with older people? She technically hanging out with her mom and her friends.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:36 pm

IMO, she should spend more time with peers.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:36 pm

also this is seriously way off topic. ^^;
Back to top Go down
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:47 pm

This may be way off topic but isn't she technically 999 years old? I thought the romance between them was sweet.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Ethereal_Wishes http://ethereal-wishes.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:53 pm

In the manga she is 900 years old when they first meet her. The anime makes it pretty unknown of her actual age, you can guess in R, she's 5 or 6, but with time travelling and what not, she seems to be older in S and SuperS. So we don't know her exact age.
Back to top Go down
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 12:56 pm

I always thought she was like 9-11ish but anyways back on topic!
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime3rd September 2012, 3:59 pm

Moonlight Lady wrote:

With Chibiusa/Helios IMO the creators couldn't decide whether they write this as a serious romance or a girl with her magical friend (actually, I would have less problems if he was a horse). Helios is clearly attracted to six year old Chibiusa. And they do share two kisses (twice as many as Usagi and Mamoru in that season, I'm not bitter, of course), which are treated as big deal in anime - most couples even don't get one.

I'm reminded of how Toonami completely left in Ayeka's crush on her
brother Yosho in the edited dub of Tenchi Muyo. So incest and horsey
love is A-ok, but they can't show Uranus and Neptune's relationship?
And apparently Toonami was ok with Fisheye hitting on Chibi-usa's
classmates as long as he was turned into a girl in the dub.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top