The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:30 am

Lady Tuxedo wrote:
Sailor Moon a kids show? Ha. Hahahaha. No. Just no. Yeah, we all watched it as kids, but really, now that we're older, we can see that it's not.
Someone should tell that to whoever made these commercials:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 1:44 am

I think it is a kids show, but it does have some deeper stuff that older viewers pick up, which makes it good for anyone to watch. But primarily it is for kids, and i think thats the way it should be, I hope they dont try to please the existing fandom over its actual target audience in the new series, otherwise it will just lead to a rehash of the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 4:25 am

"kid" is really a wide concept - in childhood the development is very quick and two years make great difference.

So I would say rather older kids/early teens. With SuperS it was attempted a little younger, but only lead to terrible mixup.
Back to top Go down
http://neoma2.tumblr.com/
BitterSweetZ
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 5:21 am

Verdandi wrote:

I think Sailor Moon has so many good morals in it, and it has such a good message that I think kids *should* hear. I would want my kids exposed to Haruka and Michiru's relationship because I think it would help build tolerance later in life if they saw that some of the favorite characters are gay. And I really don't think much of their sexual jokes with one another throughout the series are cause for much concern because they weren't really that graphic or vivid, and I think if a child watched it they wouldn't understand it anyway. And the instances of "nudity" aren't even graphic either, and are presented in a more artistic way that I don't think it would damage any child.

^This! Well said.

I think Sailor Moon is for BOTH children and adults, can't really decide one just one demographic. Perhaps the classic & superS is more aimed at children, but the stars finale was not made with little kids watching in mind for sure. x) Sailor Moon is a story that HAS to be told in a certain way. Making an anime for adults exclusivly would probably be hard with SM but as a kiddie show they had to include some adult themes to serve the story justice.

I would let my kids (if i had any) watch sailor moon in a heartbeat, althou since the swedish dub isin't avalible anywhere and they wouldn't understand english sub or dub until they go to school i don't know how it would work.
If my kids were VERY young then yes I would skip some gruesome episodes for sure but in that age, fillers are actually a good thing and story less important so i don't think they would mind.
I think most parents are WAY to overprotective. Sailor moon teaches good moral and values while not being afraid to sometimes teach it the hard way.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AntonRagnarsson
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 10:40 am

I didn't say Sailor Moon was the scariest x.x I just said it's scary. Because it is. Some of that stuff man, when you think about it, is scary XD it's more the concepts of what's going on more than the images.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 10:42 am

Neon Genesis wrote:
There are a lot of parents though who are also concerned about kids playing violent video games too so I don't think all parents are concerned with only cussing. The first time I saw this scene in the manga I was very surprised because even the anime version ended up censoring it by changing it so that Beryl killed Serenity herself instead:

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 Tumblr_lme1e2ADHX1qiw26m

I was just saying most not all. ^^ I know there are parents concern about violence. You be surprise how many parents take their kids to violent movies though. O.o
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 10:43 am

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 Nose10 <-- Might be the only scene of the manga I would call "not suitable for kids".
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 10:46 am

Yeah that's pretty disturbing. I pretty sure they had few other panels like that in the manga. Like the sisters in the R arc melting a little girl's face off. Perhaps the manga is more for adults while the anime is more for everyone?
Back to top Go down
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 10:47 am

eheh, talking about the little girls dying in the second arc, have you noticed that both the one Koan killed and the one Dimande strangled have the exact same design? It's like Takeuchi-Sensei created her Kenny character.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 10:50 am

Well, that's distributing. >.> I felt so sad when that little girl was killed like that.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 11:33 am

BitterSweetZ wrote:
Perhaps the classic & superS is more aimed at children, but the stars finale was not made with little kids watching in mind for sure.

Strange as it may seems, I find Classis and SuperS more problematic than Stars...
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 11:36 am

Why SuperS? I feel like S is a little more dark near the end of the season.
Back to top Go down
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 11:39 am

I also read on moonkitty.net that several things in the manga hinted that Ikuko has been killed when Mnemosyne kidnapped Luna and Artemis.
I think the manga was made for older audiences than the anime. For sure, Toei would never dare show Usagi's face melting, Serenity commiting suicide or Koan killing a little girl.
(Fun fact --> Berthier gave the same little girl to her parents. Surely as a droid.)
Back to top Go down
Sailor Saturn
Outer Senshi Admin
Events & Storyline Admin

Sailor Saturn

Outer Senshi Admin  Events & Storyline Admin

Title :

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 11:46 am

As much as I think a super-dark Sailor Moon anime would be neat to see (because I am morbid), I am really hoping they'll make SM2013 more kids friendly like in the original while still having those subtle darker themes throughout it that makes it nice for everyone of all ages to watch.
Back to top Go down
http://ley-rose.tumblr.com/ http://leyrose.deviantart.com/
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:06 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
Why SuperS?

Because of Fisheye and the whole Amazon trio tactics and attacks. Also Chibiusa/Helios.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:09 pm

Well, most episodes are very light hearted and comical in SuperS. Whats wrong with Chibusa/Helios? They show their relationship in a very fluffy way. SuperS in the manga is way more darker than the anime version. I believe that's the arc where they show Usgai getting her face melted. Also Mamoru had that terrible illness.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Saturn
Outer Senshi Admin
Events & Storyline Admin

Sailor Saturn

Title :

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:10 pm

I don't understand. What is wrong with Fisheye and Chibiusa/Helios? Please explain to me xD
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:10 pm

I think depends on the child's maturity if you can show the subbed version when she/he is young. If I had children I think I'd let them watch it if they were 9 or older. It's not the scariness but more that small children wouldn't apparently understand everything what's going on even though you'd explain them. But Sailor Moon surely has many moral which every child should know. Par example the friendship, belief, hope, the message of love and so on. And I think every child should see and learn that people like Haruka and Michiru are normal and just the same as everyone else.
Yamichan16 wrote:

I feel alike! I think Super and Stars were the darkest seasons of the whole anime (and that's why they're my favorites XD)
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:14 pm

Tsuki-no-Kagayaki wrote:
I think depends on the child's maturity if you can show the subbed version when she/he is young. If I had children I think I'd let them watch it if they were 9 or older. It's not the scariness but more that small children wouldn't apparently understand everything what's going on even though you'd explain them. But Sailor Moon surely has many moral which every child should know. Par example the friendship, belief, hope, the message of love and so on. And I think every child should see and learn that people like Haruka and Michiru are normal and just the same as everyone else.
Yamichan16 wrote:

I feel alike! I think Super and Stars were the darkest seasons of the whole anime (and that's why they're my favorites XD)

Cheers This! Your post pretty much sum up my whole thoughts! Showing something to your kids will always come down to one question. Are they mature enough to see this? If yes then show it! If not then dont show it!

As parent I would probably show my 5 year old kid the english dub of sailor moon as they grew older I would probably show them the sub version. (Maybe the English dub of the new anime if it gets dub)
Back to top Go down
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:18 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
Perhaps the manga is more for adults while the anime is more for everyone?

no the manga are more for teens not adults, Elfen Lied & Higurashi are "adult" stuff ..
Back to top Go down
http://goldenwitchmami.tumblr.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:20 pm

Well in America teen books are called young adult. ^^

Last edited by Yamichan16 on 2nd September 2012, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:20 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
Tsuki-no-Kagayaki wrote:
Yamichan16 wrote:

Cheers This! Your post pretty much sum up my whole thoughts! Showing something to your kids will always come down to one question. Are they mature enough to see this? If yes then show it! If not then dont show it!

As parent I would probably show my 5 year old kid the english dub of sailor moon as they grew older I would probably show them the sub version. (Maybe the English dub of the new anime if it gets dub)

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 398992973 It's not always black-and-white, is it XD?
Back to top Go down
Sailor Saturn
Outer Senshi Admin
Events & Storyline Admin

Sailor Saturn

Title :

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:23 pm

That's always been the reason why I love the Outer Senshi more than the Inner Senshi. In my opinion, the outers always presented a more grey way of fighting than the Inners, and it's fascinating :3 I love the Inners as well, but the Outers are just more interesting for me personally.

Last edited by Verdandi on 2nd September 2012, 12:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:25 pm

@Yamichan16

german rating of most of the manga's now ->

teens, older teens, adults ^^

Sailor Moon is rated "teen" here ..
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:26 pm

Verdandi wrote:
That's always been the reason why I love the Outer Senshi more than the Inner Senshi. In my opinion, the outers always presented a more grey way of fighting than the Inners, and it's fascinating :3 I love the Inners as well, but the Outers are just more interesting for me personally.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 12:30 pm

Minene Uryuu wrote:
@Yamichan16

german rating of most of the manga's now ->

teens, older teens, adults ^^

Sailor Moon is rated "teen" here ..

Sailor Moon is probably rated teen here as well. But to me in general it's young adult and if it was a book it would be the young adult section in a bookstore or a library.

I feel like there are adult themes in the manga anyway.
Back to top Go down
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 1:21 pm

adult = r-18 stuff in anime?

*nail ripping scene
*dog scene

nuff said ..
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 7:25 pm

Moonlight Lady wrote:
Yamichan16 wrote:
Why SuperS?

Because of Fisheye and the whole Amazon trio tactics and attacks. Also Chibiusa/Helios.

I know where you are coming from actually. I personally feel SuperS is actually pretty grim if you look into it deeply. I don't get why everyone thinks S is so dark...SuperS is pretty crazy.

I don't mind Chibi Usa/Helios so much because it's show as being very very innocent and its ok cause Helio isn't ACTUALLY A HORSE like everyone wants to believe (granted chibi usa did fall for the horse person...but i think she fell more for the idea of this mysterious person seeking her out in her dreams and needing her. It was the romance of the feeling that she was necessary and important. Something very Chibi-Usa.) Anyway...

If you really think about it, while the episodes may have been portrayed lightly in SuperS, the concepts of looking into someone's dreams without their permission are really akin to rape, etc. And how the amazon trio basically force there way on people, especially women in Tiger's Eye and Hawk's Eye's case. I guess if you are homophobic or don't want ot have to explain it to your kid, then I can understand the problems with Fisheye (hence why his gender is changed in the Cloverway dub of SuperS). However, I've noticed that crossdressing happens like A LOT in anime and other media in japan. Its rampant in the Myus and those were intended for little kids (granted if you see some of the audiences you notice more adults than kids for some of the shows XD).

*cough* Anyway back on topic.

I think the general consensus is that: Yes, Sailor Moon, the anime, is a show intended for kids, but possibly with parental guidance for some episodes. Some content is more acceptable in some countries and less acceptable in others and it really just all depends on the maturity of the child, but over all, its a kids show that people of all ages can enjoy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 7:37 pm

Small Lady wrote:
but over all, its a kids show that people of all ages can enjoy. Smile

thumbs up for this ..
Back to top Go down
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Sailor Ceres/Cere Cere

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime2nd September 2012, 7:57 pm

I think sailor moon has a lot of fun filler episodes I would let my children watch. I honestly think it would just depend on what my children liked whether I let them watch t or not because I want my kids to like what I like so we can bond over it ya know? I read something yami said about her parents letting her play violent video games and watch the Simpsons. I guess I had a very sheltered childhood because I didn't get into sailor moon until I was around eleven. Also my parents never let me play violent video games, and I didn't watch my first teen movie till I was like 12, so I mean I guess I still hold the same views. I remember when Tokyopop first released the manga and it being rated all ages. I began reading it and was very shocked it was rated so loosely because I definitely didn't see it being appropriate for all ages. I still have some old manga volumes and the rating is for all ages.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Ethereal_Wishes http://ethereal-wishes.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?   Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Debate: Is Sailor Moon Really A Kid's Show?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top