The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Spiral-Star
Lotus Crystal

Spiral-Star

Lotus Crystal

Title : A Tiny Spiraling Star

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime13th April 2016, 4:54 pm

Pretty much saying what everyone else has. The 2nd covers have a better design/ collectable aspect while the first covers, in my opinion, had more varied/ interesting artwork. I think the 2nd covers are REALLY cute though and I love the eternal fukus (though admittedly having Sailor Moon in her normal fuku really does mess with the continuity). I miss the use of different papers and doilies she used, but then again, we're only getting a small sample of new work with the 2nd edition. Some of her digital work that was used on the Sailor Moon Channel site used the 2nd edition art style and was pretty cute~  
Now the third edition... I can't say I like them too much. It's very hit or miss for me, with some covers being nicely done and others look fairly questionable. Like I find the cover with Chibi-Usa on it strange compositionally, since she's just standing and looking to the side. That, and even though they are graceful and some are colorful, others are more washed out and the skin tones look kind of "grey". Just my opinion Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.danibreckenridge.com http://spiral-sketches.tumblr.com/
EisakuPanda
Pyramidal Crystal

EisakuPanda

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime30th June 2016, 8:11 pm

I have the first edition that came out as well and love those covers the best! =)
I also have the 2nd edition and agree that I like these better than the 3rd edition. I have not bought the 3rd ones and dont plan on it. I've seen the artwork before and while it's nice, I just don't like it. Maybe it is the skin tones and odd postures
Back to top Go down
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime30th June 2016, 9:14 pm

I love the Perfect Edition artwork! It's so beautiful and really shows off what Naoko can do Smile At the same time, I love the [2nd?] version too! It's bright and colorful and the characters all look so cheerful. Plus it gives us an idea of what they all look like in their eternal forms!
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime2nd July 2016, 8:15 pm

I adore the old manga covers. The new ones are cute, but the old ones just make me happier in my soul.
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
TS Sailor Cronus
Lotus Crystal

TS Sailor Cronus

Lotus Crystal

Title : TITAN SOLDIER OF STARS AND DESTINY! SAILOR CRONUS!

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3rd July 2016, 4:21 am

It really is hard to make a decision on just one set, isn't it?

The first set was nice, but there were some covers that didn't draw me in so well. Absolutely ALL of them were fantastic works of art, of course, but some of them didn't feel as though they were well-thought-out for the purpose of being covers. They give the feel that Takeuchi made several beautiful works of art, and someone randomly chose pieces to become the covers, which they weren't all suited for.

Volumes 1, 2, and 3 felt like they were organic to the story and basically the theme of the Sailor Senshi. The first, of course, features the star character, Sailor Moon. During this volume, she is learning to get used to be a superhero. The second volume shows her with Luna and Tuxedo Mask, in order to emphasize the history these characters had, their connections through the ancient Moon Kingdom. The third is the entire group together; they all understand their history and their roles as protectors of the Princess, and it just shows their bond to one another.

Then the fourth volume just feels like (as far as cover choice goes), they're just phoning it in. Volume 7 is just perfect, featuring Sailor Chibi Moon now that she has realized her power as a new Sailor Senshi, ready to defend the world at her mother's side. 11 shows Sailor Moon posing with human-form Luna, and really brings out the relationship they have with each other; they are irreplaceable friends in each other's eyes. 13 and 14 feature all the main Sailor Senshi, and I love the effect of them each using their powers, although the alternate-color theme appeared harsh in the English prints of volume 13. 15 makes a good cover, too, but it's a shame that through this arc you don't get a glimpse of Chibi Moon and Pegasus, as the story here was strongly focused on them.

I enjoy the font used for the Japanese prints, but the colors are rarely intuitive to the cover designs and randomly change from being one color to rainbows. And that 3D effect is not very attractive. (I'm certain Naoko Takeuchi didn't decide this, as things like this are usually decided from someone on the publishing team.)

Now, going to the first set of reprints, the first one (Sailor Moon) is wonderful (although I would have preferred her art style used in the last half-dozen volumes). Chibi Moon has a good one, too. There's also the fact that each volume features their abilities, and I like that. And of course, there's an overall theme going through them each, which I love. What I don't love is how much white space appears on most of them (Chibi-Chibi naturally being the worst offender), and that the white space is so inconsistent. I really do love their chibi forms being showcased on the backs; that was a nice touch (and I'm more willing to forgive the white space there).

The third print set amazes me, since there's a much better harmony in her art style, and so much better use of color, and there's still a theme running throughout, although it looks like only some of them show their namesake planets. (I can't tell, as I can only view thumbnails right now, since I'm having trouble loading full-size images). But, once you get to the Outers, that dedication to each individual fades away here because they're put together in pairs at this point, and that gives the sense that they are being overlooked in importance. The group image of them altogether is magnificent and works well for the covers theme, and the one of Serenity and Endymion is breathtaking.

It's also a shame that both reprint sets reduce the number of volumes, and therefore opportunity for thoughtful, unique, and dedicated images for each portion of story and all the characters. What I would love to see (and I know this is asking WAY too much) is for Naoko to re-draw the first three volume covers (first print version) in their entirety in her new art style, as well as the one for volume 11 (and preferably 7), and create and continue with a theme that fits in with all of those.

And use the font theme from "Perfect". Razz

Nope, I just can't pick a favorite after all.

The current GC banner featuring Sailor Moon and Chibi Moon with Pegasus over the lake... THAT needs to be made into a manga cover!
Back to top Go down
http://tssc-manga.weebly.com https://www.deviantart.com/enfpurplekitti
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3rd July 2016, 6:04 am

TS Sailor Cronus wrote:
Now, going to the first set of reprints, the first one (Sailor Moon) is wonderful (although I would have preferred her art style used in the last half-dozen volumes). Chibi Moon has a good one, too. There's also the fact that each volume features their abilities, and I like that. And of course, there's an overall theme going through them each, which I love. What I don't love is how much white space appears on most of them (Chibi-Chibi naturally being the worst offender), and that the white space is so inconsistent. I really do love their chibi forms being showcased on the backs; that was a nice touch (and I'm more willing to forgive the white space there).

I have to disagree here regarding the white space. I enjoy the pristine white, because the books look really chic and sophisticated when grouped together on a bookcase. I also think the white is symbolic of the purity of each character. The pure white background makes the artwork look more crisp, and it really brings out the colors and shapes used for each character.
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Lavender
Lotus Crystal

Lavender

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC’s Official Setsuna Meioh/Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime3rd July 2016, 1:13 pm

Sailor Pluto wrote:
TS Sailor Cronus wrote:

I have to disagree here regarding the white space. I enjoy the pristine white, because the books look really chic and sophisticated when grouped together on a bookcase. I also think the white is symbolic of the purity of each character. The pure white background makes the artwork look more crisp, and it really brings out the colors and shapes used for each character.

I'm favouring Pluto's opinion more, apparently. While the second edition covers are a bit lacking in scenery, the slight shades on the background of each Senshi makes up for that. They are all painted softly and faintly, with the slight color use making the Senshi look delicate and somewhat elusive. Also, of course they look pretty pristine and chic though not neccesarily sophisticated, so I won't please Pluto that much, it seems.
Back to top Go down
TS Sailor Cronus
Lotus Crystal

TS Sailor Cronus

Lotus Crystal

Title : TITAN SOLDIER OF STARS AND DESTINY! SAILOR CRONUS!

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime14th July 2016, 8:07 am

Well, it's not so much that I'm against the white space (well, I would still prefer more color), but the use of white space is inconsistent. Chibi Moon, for instance, has a lot of pink on her background. As far as a colored background goes, it doesn't have to have scenery, just a little bit of color would make it better.
Back to top Go down
http://tssc-manga.weebly.com https://www.deviantart.com/enfpurplekitti
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

Inner Senshi Admin Activities Director

Title : Formerly Aurae; The Galaxy Cauldron Forums' Official Professor Tomoe

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime14th July 2016, 8:17 am

I'm always going to sound like the person solidly riding the fence, but I really like both the Perfect Edition covers and the re-issue covers... and heck, I liked the original covers, too! For me, they all have close-to-equal strengths/weaknesses as far as my perception of the art and layouts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinkmilktea.com http://lovemilktea.tumblr.com http://auraechan.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top