The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

the new manga

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 10:43 am

I heard people complaining about the new translations. Is it that bad? Has anyone gotten it yet?
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 2:11 pm

I have it, and I'm almost finished with Sailor Moon, and I've already finished V. There's nothing wrong with it imo! I mean, when they say things like "Prince-sama", it gets silly...but I think people are being way too picky. Hello people, Mixx translations? lol
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 2:30 pm

Quote :
"Prince-sama", it gets silly...but I think people are being way too picky

I just read about that in a review on moonkity's website:

http://www.moonkitty.net/review-kodansha-new-pretty-guardian-sailor-moon-manga-01.php

I thought he was being way too picky. I don't get what's the big deal about having the honorfics in there. To me I feel like they were trying to be close as possible to the original. He also mentioned they kept Japanese words in there. So what? Del Rey does that and after the story they explained what those words meant.

Applestardust, did certain sentences seem awkward to you? Because Moonkitty mentioned that in his review.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 6:02 pm

Speaking of which, I was at the bookstore and skimmed through the first sailor moon volume to see where they said "bump-head" but i couldn't find it. I saw where Mamoru called Usagi "Buns-head" so uh. what?

And he claims in translating (because apparently he's a translator) that honorifics are unprofessional. IMO, i've read several manga with the honorifics and I really enjoy them. Honorifics don't always translate good into english (besides the obvious ones like -san, -sama, etc.). The only thing I could agree is that apparently instead of keeping things like Oni-san for motoki and stuff, they changed that. And apparently they didn't use the -san honorific. If they are going to keep the honorifics, then they should be more consistent.

HOWEVER, from just me flipping through the manga it is such an improvement on the original Mixx/Tokyo Pop ones, just for the fact that the books themselves are very nice quality and don't feel like they are going to fall apart. I mean, one of my Mixx volumes fell apart after me having it for only a couple of months and that was buying it NEW from the bookstore before they went out of print! They were terrible quality!

Plus they left in color pages, which is great. They are lovely and make it that much better. <3
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 6:48 pm

Quote :
. I mean, one of my Mixx volumes fell apart after me having it for only a
couple of months and that was buying it NEW from the bookstore before
they went out of print! They were terrible quality!

Yeah the vols that I owned are following apart. I even lost a page in my second volume of the infinity arch! So I don't touch them. They just sit in my cabinet above my desk all pretty like Smile

Quote :
nd he claims in translating (because apparently he's a translator) that
honorifics are unprofessional. IMO, i've read several manga with the
honorifics and I really enjoy them. Honorifics don't always translate
good into english (besides the obvious ones like -san, -sama, etc.).
The only thing I could agree is that apparently instead of keeping
things like Oni-san for motoki and stuff, they changed that. And
apparently they didn't use the -san honorific. If they are going to keep
the honorifics, then they should be more consistent.

Yeah, they don't translate easily in English because well...we don't use them! Unless if your anime fan lol. Anyway, yeah they should be more consistent, but at least their trying! Lol hopefully in vol two things will be more consistent.
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 9:38 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
Quote :
"Prince-sama", it gets silly...but I think people are being way too picky

I just read about that in a review on moonkity's website:

I thought he was being way too picky. I don't get what's the big deal about having the honorfics in there. To me I feel like they were trying to be close as possible to the original. He also mentioned they kept Japanese words in there. So what? Del Rey does that and after the story they explained what those words meant.

Applestardust, did certain sentences seem awkward to you? Because Moonkitty mentioned that in his review.

A few, like the one he showed us; where Luna tells Usagi she should "live her life more nervously". But yes! I don't know why he was nitpicking. :c
Brit-chan wrote:
Speaking of which, I was at the bookstore and skimmed through the first sailor moon volume to see where they said "bump-head" but i couldn't find it. I saw where Mamoru called Usagi "Buns-head" so uh. what?

And he claims in translating (because apparently he's a translator) that honorifics are unprofessional. IMO, i've read several manga with the honorifics and I really enjoy them. Honorifics don't always translate good into english (besides the obvious ones like -san, -sama, etc.). The only thing I could agree is that apparently instead of keeping things like Oni-san for motoki and stuff, they changed that. And apparently they didn't use the -san honorific. If they are going to keep the honorifics, then they should be more consistent.

HOWEVER, from just me flipping through the manga it is such an improvement on the original Mixx/Tokyo Pop ones, just for the fact that the books themselves are very nice quality and don't feel like they are going to fall apart. I mean, one of my Mixx volumes fell apart after me having it for only a couple of months and that was buying it NEW from the bookstore before they went out of print! They were terrible quality!

Plus they left in color pages, which is great. They are lovely and make it that much better. <3

Just like my poor Stars, nr. 3. Pages were falling out several at a time! But yes, almost every manga I've read they've kept the honorifics. Not unusual at all. And yes, I <3 the colour pages! So pretty!

Though, it was a mean move to put the preview in JAPANESE. xD
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime13th September 2011, 9:48 pm

Haha! I've seen several manga that does that too. XD
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 6:00 am

They even do that in dub anime sometimes. For example Fun's dub of High School Host Club.
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 10:04 am

Ah, I've never seen that before. Smile Then again, this is the first manga I've bought in years. ^^; And everytime I watch Ouran, I always watch it in Japanese. xD

Edit: I lied. I bought Nana vol. 12 a few months ago, cos I wanted to know what happened after the anime ended. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 10:34 am

Yamichan16 wrote:
They even do that in dub anime sometimes. For example Fun's dub of High School Host Club.

For some reason i think it would sound weird in a dub of an anime. Because usually VAs don't speak japanese and it just sounds off when everything is in english (its why i don't like it when people call me Brit-chan in conversation). When I'm reading manga, I'm just imagining them speaking in japanese voices and me magically being able to understand them. ^^
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 1:52 pm

Quote :
When I'm reading manga, I'm just imagining them speaking in japanese voices and me magically being able to understand them. ^^
I do that for both. I really don't care in anime because in real life of my friend calls me Yami-chan.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 1:57 pm

I think the reason I cringe when people call me Brit-chan is because in high school I had this really weeaboo friend, who over time got really obnoxious and annoying, and she would always call me Brit-chan. NONE of my other anime and non-anime (haha weird way to reference that) called me that. I even came to prefer people calling me B over Brit-chan. I dunno why but her calling me that would make me cringe and then I just started disliking it more and more. I keep the online name because its easy to remember and its rare for someone to already be using the name on any forum/website/social network that I sign up with.

But thats getting way off topic.

Regardless, I honestly feel the reaction to the manga translation has just been blown way out of proportion. I think a lot of it stems from MoonKitty.net's opinions. Which you know, its totally cool for him to nitpick because he does live in Japan and is obviously very familiar with the language. I still don't know where they found bump-head though. o_o; But my manga is supposed to come in today so I hope i get it!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 2:03 pm

Quote :
think the reason I cringe when people call me Brit-chan is because in
high school I had this really weeaboo friend, who over time got really
obnoxious and annoying, and she would always call me Brit-chan.

Oh, well that explains it ^^ My friend doesn't always call me Yami-chan. She only does it when she's excited to see me or gets....mad at me (not real mad. it's hard to explain). ^^

Quote :
I honestly feel the reaction to the manga translation has just been
blown way out of proportion. I think a lot of it stems from
MoonKitty.net's opinions. Which you know, its totally cool for him to
nitpick because he does live in Japan and is obviously very familiar
with the language.

I still think he was just being a little too picky epsically he compared the official translation to the Miss Dream's. He gave example of Usagi complaining about standing in the hallway. Both translations were different, but it had the same meaning so I don't see what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 2:38 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:
Quote :
think the reason I cringe when people call me Brit-chan is because in
high school I had this really weeaboo friend, who over time got really
obnoxious and annoying, and she would always call me Brit-chan.

Oh, well that explains it ^^ My friend doesn't always call me Yami-chan. She only does it when she's excited to see me or gets....mad at me (not real mad. it's hard to explain). ^^

Quote :
I honestly feel the reaction to the manga translation has just been
blown way out of proportion. I think a lot of it stems from
MoonKitty.net's opinions. Which you know, its totally cool for him to
nitpick because he does live in Japan and is obviously very familiar
with the language.

I still think he was just being a little too picky epsically he compared the official translation to the Miss Dream's. He gave example of Usagi complaining about standing in the hallway. Both translations were different, but it had the same meaning so I don't see what the problem is.

^this. I really didn't even blink when I read that in the new translation. It's basically the same thing Usagi has said in the manga & anime over and over.

Also, in high school I had a bunch of freshmen who called me "-sama". It was kind of flattering. XD
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 3:25 pm

Quote :
It's basically the same thing Usagi has said in the manga & anime over and over.

Exactly! I wish people wouldn't complain so much. There's no way we can 100% translation. Oh, well when I get it I'm going so happy! I love reading the first arch of manga despite it's fast pace. I just love how Usagi and Mamrou fall in love.
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 4:19 pm

I haven't read all the manga, sadly. Just the ones I had, my few Mixx translations. I tried reading it online, but reading online for a long time gets me in a bad mood. xD

I was surprised how fast it was! I never realised so much filler is in the anime! But I still love it.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 5:47 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:

oh I agree completely. I was just saying he has the right to his own opinion. Even if most of us don't like it. :/
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 5:52 pm

Quote :
. I tried reading it online, but reading online for a long time gets me in a bad mood. xD

There things in the manga I didnt like, but I did enjoy it. Sadly I had to read it on manga fox with scanlations of the the mixx translations. What drove me crazy during the black moon arch pages were out of order. That happened with the Sailor V manga. I gave up reading it on their website and finished reading the sailor moon manga on someone's youtube video. I tried reading miss dream's translation, but for some reason I can't focus when I read it. I think I miss reading manga physically.

Quote :
oh I agree completely. I was just saying he has the right to his own opinion. Even if most of us don't like it. :/

Well, yeah! lol I was just giving my opinion on his opinion XD
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 6:35 pm

Haha. Btw, just going to say that I adore the manga above all else so don't mind me when i become highly defensive of it. Takeuchi-sama is my god. XD
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime14th September 2011, 6:38 pm

Haha I got no problems with it. I love her drawings. It's just there are some plot points I didn't like that's all.
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime15th September 2011, 4:36 pm

I have not been able to go through the entire manga so I do not know how the dialog is per se. However, I adore the honorifics and I can never understand when people dislike them. I like to read my manga as authentically as possible, so I like when the honorifics are used, because I can understand how each character regards the other as it was originally intended.

I confess that I was bothered with the nickname, 'Bun-head." It felt awkward to me and regardless of the explanation in the back of the book, I still think that they could have used "dumpling." Maybe because I am apart of a mixed culture family and program, but I've never heard people use bun instead of dumpling -- always dumpling.

But that is just a personal opinion. I adore the way this manga is put together -- like a REAL manga! The pages have that manga feel and smell to them, and the book is thick and the same size as my other manga ... I feel like I am reading a real manga and not my little old american-published-stiff-pages sailor moon comic.

It is amazing to me and I can't wait to finally be able to dig into it. ^^
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime15th September 2011, 11:14 pm

Oh eyeroll about translation quality complaints. I haven't even seen a copy of the manga in person yet but tbh there will be some awkwardness in the vast majority of translated material ever, and against the general standard of manga translation the examples that article lifts out seem... really, really insignificant.
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 6:55 am

I don't understand why people are complaining about it. They should be grateful that some form of Sailor Moon made it back to the States and other English speaking countries.
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 7:49 am

Yamichan16 wrote:
I don't understand why people are complaining about it. They should be grateful that some form of Sailor Moon made it back to the States and other English speaking countries.

you win the award, Yamichan Cheers
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 7:50 am

Toft wrote:
Oh eyeroll about translation quality complaints. I haven't even seen a copy of the manga in person yet but tbh there will be some awkwardness in the vast majority of translated material ever, and against the general standard of manga translation the examples that article lifts out seem... really, really insignificant.

They do! People tend to forget how different both the English & Japanese languages are, not to mention cultures....nothing will be perfect in translation.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 12:32 pm

Apple Stardust wrote:
Yamichan16 wrote:

you win the award, Yamichan Cheers

yay!!! I love winning awards!!!

Apple Stardust:
Quote :
They do! People tend to forget how different both
the English & Japanese languages are, not to mention
cultures....nothing will be perfect in translation.

You also win award!!! Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 4:13 pm

I absolutely adore the manga series and I have been asked not to buy the rereleases for myself (my husband wants to get me them for christmas xD), but I must know something: Do they still call Usagi "Bunny" in the new release? 'cause if they don't, I'll be one sad kitty.

... and yes, I probably could look this up right now, but I am the lazy. (^v^")
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 5:53 pm

All of the Japanese name are kept.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 7:23 pm

Sha-weet. I just wondered because in the anime they called her Usagi all the time and I knew they used all Japanese names, but wondered if they kept the English form of her nickname. I like when Mamoru uses "Usa-ko", but I adore "Bunny".
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

SeleneHime

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Previously: Sailor Pluto

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime16th September 2011, 7:32 pm

I have been wondering something, actually. Do you suppose that there will be a box set for each arc? It'd be much cheaper to buy it that way in most cases, after all. *Sweatdrop.*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

the new manga Empty
PostSubject: Re: the new manga   the new manga I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

the new manga

View previous topic View next topic Back to top