The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Takoto
Pyramidal Crystal

Takoto

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Wandering Cat

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd November 2012, 5:43 am

I think they're both great, but the original covers have a lot more soul to them, so to speak. They're almost all full pictures rather than a solo illustration of the character. Both covers are good but they give off different vibes; I think the first covers give off more of a "Sailor Moon" vibe to me.

The new covers feel a lot more modern, though. I personally prefer the older covers just because they're a lot more eye catching. They feel more crowded but in a good way.

Though I do like they way the new covers are one cover per senshi, effectively giving every character equal cover space c:
Back to top Go down
http://takoto.deviantart.com
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd November 2012, 8:52 am

ChibiBoi wrote:
A lot of times Japanese mana will have that paper cover but when released in North America, they will get rid of the sleeves.
Most European releases (excluding french ones for some reasons) also got rid of the sleeve.
Back to top Go down
Meyneth
Lotus Crystal

Meyneth

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime2nd November 2012, 10:11 am

this discussion is featured on tumblr: http://thegalaxycauldronforums.tumblr.com/post/34837178826/x-which-version-of-the-manga-covers

While I like the character the old covers have, I appreciate and prefer the newer style and uniformity of the new.
Back to top Go down
http://juliannacodes.tumblr.com http://spectrenegade.tumblr.com/
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

Title : Soldier of the Cosmos

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime7th November 2012, 11:32 am

I love both of them, but sometimes I get the feeling I'm the only person who loves the new art, haha.

We should all just remember that everything was drawn by our Naoko! ;D
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Mileyangel321
brrrandiZZLe
Lotus Crystal

brrrandiZZLe

Lotus Crystal

Title : Brandi, the official Usagi of the forums ^.^

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime7th November 2012, 11:55 am

Cosmos! You're alive! Smile

I love the new art too, I guess one reason for the love of the old art is that you always want what you can't have and we don't appreciate the new art as much because it's so easily accessible?
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoon-love.tumblr.com http://www.sailormoon-love.tumblr.com
Drops Of Stars
Star Seed

Drops Of Stars

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime15th December 2013, 8:21 pm

I prefer the older ones, but I do appreciate the new ones. They're just a little too clean for my taste. I like the 3rd rerelease covers, they're clean but more reminiscent of pre-digital Naoko. I love the watercolor, airbrush, messy (but yet so precise) colouring, and the beautiful waves in their hair. The new art lacks it. I wouldn't say she went downhill. It's just different these days. Computerization changed everything. I loved that she would find bits of Japanese paper for backgrounds, and airbrush doilies for backgrounds.. (or glue beads onto pictures like my signature!) but when you do things on the computer, that stuff is lost. It's possible to reproduce that effect, but you lose the inspiration because you don't really think of getting your hands dirty and gluing stuff anymore.. so it fades from your mind completely.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime9th February 2014, 3:00 pm

I'm gunna revive this thread cause we now need to add in the new new manga covers of the "Perfect Edition"!! I'm grabbing these photos off of cdjapan's website, but if anyone has better quality images please post them!

Vol. 1
Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 NEOBK-1583778

Vol. 2
Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 NEOBK-1583779

Vol. 3
Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 NEOBK-1606875

Vol. 4
Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 NEOBK-1606876

Vol. 5
Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 NEOBK-1615209

Vol. 6
Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 NEOBK-1615210

Does anyone know how many volumes this edition is going to run btw??
Back to top Go down
sunyeons
Lotus Crystal

sunyeons

Lotus Crystal

Title : that one j-idol and k-pop fangirl.

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime30th March 2014, 8:18 pm

i really like the new covers cause they're bright and pretty. (cause honestly, i love bright and pretty things) xD but there's that problem with the first manga cover cause i don't like how sailor moon is not in her eternal fuku while the rest of the senshi have them in the other covers :/ maybe that's how iconic the first fuku was or who know what reason the publishers had. plus the new covers are sorta generic now, it wasn't something i was expecting when i saw the mangas at barnes and noble. but there's something about the older artwork that i like. i really love the use of colour and textures. in the artwork books you can definitely take a closer look at how her use of colour and textures blooms throughout the entire run of the manga, and how she uses different types of mediums to create the artwork for the manga. it's just simply beautiful to look at and admire. i'm really divided in the middle... but then i'm leaning for the older covers since they're so beautiful to look at.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime30th March 2014, 8:27 pm

What about the new new covers? I'm really liking them a lot. They feel like a mix of her old and new style.

the last two released covers are unngggg.
Back to top Go down
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime30th March 2014, 8:31 pm

Small Lady wrote:
What about the new new covers?  I'm really liking them a lot. They feel like a mix of her old and new style.

the last two released covers are unngggg.
i have really loved seeing the new new covers pop up on various sites, they remind me of artbook images and are so elegant. Not to dis the other manga covers at all because they are good too, but these new ones are just lovely.
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
RainbowHurricane
Pyramidal Crystal

RainbowHurricane

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Sailor of all that is RAINBOW!

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime17th May 2014, 3:06 pm

I really loved the old ones and when I was reading up on the series again I was tempted to buy the old ones just because the covers were so pretty! I like the new ones because I love seeing each Sailor Scout have their own book cover. But if I had to pick I would vote for the old ones.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Nike
Star Seed

Sailor Nike

Star Seed

Title : Second Exorcist

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime13th September 2014, 9:20 pm

I think all three versions of the covers are special on their own way.

The 90´s version is special to me. I remember when I saw the vol.4 for the first time in a magazine, 17 years ago. I thought "Oooh! So pretty! So colorful! I want!" But my wish came true only 12 years ago, when I bought my very first SM manga. It´s the vol.12 and I still have it~ Since it´s the original tankoubon, I couldn´t understand a thing until I learned to read a bit of Japanese XD But I was happy anyway.

Then, 8 years ago, I found the 2004 version of vol.2 (Ami) in my city´s book fair! I was so happy. Months later, I decided to buy all the editions in Japanese. After all, I could read way better. I´m still missing 7 and 8, though... I never get a opportunity to buy these! Anyway, I always liked these covers, specially for the Eternal Senshi.

I plan to buy the perfect edition too. The covers are really wonderful, the characters have a mature touch. But I got no money now... 

Btw, my country is publishing the series since May. We´re going to vol.6 with Chibiusa.
Back to top Go down
http://terumi-kantoku.tumblr.com http://azure-crystal-lotus.deviantart.com
Flower Hurricane
Star Seed

Flower Hurricane

Star Seed

Title : Mako's BFF, Haruka's baby sister, and Hotaru's big sis

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime14th September 2014, 10:58 pm

This is making me appreciate my old copies more, and now I'm bummed that they are all bent and falling apart so badly.  

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 2869872805

I adore the old cover art. Although some of the colors didn't seem like they were meant to be used together, I still prefer that over the simple new art of the reprint that hardly catches my attention. I definitely like the perfect edition art better than the reprint, although Uranus and Neptune's faces just look a bit off to me.
Back to top Go down
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

Sailor CJ

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Galaxia

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime15th September 2014, 5:41 am

I wish my mom hadn't thrown out the first generation edition of the manga. Especially since a lot of it is actually translated better than the Kodansha version (with the exception of the senshi's names, etc.).

I'm a bit of a outsider here, but I personally think the new editions look awful. Most of them are good, but just look at Neptune's face. You can really tell that Takeuchi hasn't gotten much practice lately. It makes me curious as to how much they edited her art for the second edition.

That being said, I personally own 1 and 5 of the new editions myself. Despite my gripping, I do hope they come to the States and other countries. The quality is fantastic and the color pages are really cool.
Back to top Go down
http://ourinkedobsession.com
Sailor Nike
Star Seed

Sailor Nike

Star Seed

Title : Second Exorcist

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime15th September 2014, 10:03 am

Sailor CJ wrote:
I wish my mom hadn't thrown out the first generation edition of the manga.

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 1023433532 Aaah! That´s cruel... Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 2869872805

Anyways, I think it´s possible that Viz will bring the perfect edition. It might take some time, though.
Back to top Go down
http://terumi-kantoku.tumblr.com http://azure-crystal-lotus.deviantart.com
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

Sailor CJ

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime15th September 2014, 11:12 am

Sailor Nike wrote:
Sailor CJ wrote:
I wish my mom hadn't thrown out the first generation edition of the manga.

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 1023433532 Aaah! That´s cruel... Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 2869872805

Anyways, I think it´s possible that Viz will bring the perfect edition. It might take some time, though.

Yeah, it still kills me to this day. She was a religious fanatic (no offense to religion there, I'm an uber Catholic) and threw out all of my manga because they were "Satanic" and were "written from right to left," despite, ya know, the Bible itself being originally written in that format. She's crazy and barely a part of my life anymore. But yeah, it especially bothers me considering how expensive they are these days. I want them back so badly.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime15th September 2014, 11:19 am

I don't like the new covers at all. I find them ugly. XD
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of da Norf.

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime16th September 2014, 3:15 pm

*pets Yami* I prefer the 3rd generation covers.  Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 3884866259

Like others have said I think they capture the beauty of each senshi and are truly gorgeous. I really hope they make plans to translate them because I would love to own them. If not I wouldn't mind having the Japanese versions.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Comet
Star Seed

Sailor Comet

Star Seed

Title : A wandering sailor.

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime16th September 2014, 4:34 pm

I very much hands down love the original ones vs the new ones, I was pretty upset they did eternal forms for the sailors for everyone except the first volume also, to me that didn't make sense cause the senshi never went into eternal form until StarS to have them on the second volume cover. Not gonna lie I was pretty irate about the new covers when they released them (haven't actually bough one either oTL) The old one tells you a little more about what's going on in that particular volume.

Someone also mentioned them being generic and I agree they're simple and not eye-catching like the older ones are, I mean look at that gorgeous art!

Course I've accepted the new ones and appreciate them re releasing it to start the spark of Sailor Moon once again <3
Back to top Go down
http://www.hinderence.deviantart.com
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime16th September 2014, 4:44 pm

As a collection, I like the new version the best. While I love the character Sailor Moon, I like the entire group of Sailor Senshi and the new one makes me feel like they are all important characters.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Sailor CJ
Lotus Crystal

Sailor CJ

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime16th September 2014, 8:18 pm

Sailor Comet wrote:
I very much hands down love the original ones vs the new ones, I was pretty upset they did eternal forms for the sailors for everyone except the first volume also, to me that didn't make sense cause the senshi never went into eternal form until StarS to have them on the second volume cover. Not gonna lie I was pretty irate about the new covers when they released them (haven't actually bough one either oTL) The old one tells you a little more about what's going on in that particular volume.
Yeah, I'm not sure how difficult this could have been, but it would have been nice to see each of the scouts in whatever uniform they had on during that particular volume. For example, Mercury could be in her normal fuku, with Saturn later on being in Eternal. It would have made the first volume make way more sense.
Back to top Go down
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime18th June 2015, 8:34 am

Regarding the perfect edition, I would have to say I love the new covers a lot, but they lack the energy of the old covers (I'm referring to the covers with each girl in their eternal form). The new ones are beautiful, mysterious, and captivating, and I would definitely read them if I saw them on display. But my personal choice would be to read the old ones, because they have brighter colors, happier-looking people, etc. But I do enjoy looking at both versions Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime18th June 2015, 9:39 am

I sort of like all the covers equally? Plus, each edition shows the dramatic changes in Naoko's art style and improvement over the years. For the 3rd editions, I love the cover of book 10, the whole group of them. Also chibiusa with the first wand her mother ever hand was a fantastic sentimental touch. Also the cover with princess serenity and Endymion was gorgeous, though I forget which cover of the 3rd edition this is.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

Princess Sailor Mai

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime20th March 2016, 10:24 pm

I like both.
Back to top Go down
Lavender
Lotus Crystal

Lavender

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC’s Official Setsuna Meioh/Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime12th April 2016, 8:27 am

Both the second and third generation ones. The second generation ones are very lush and I like the colors in them a lot. The third generation ones seem more mature and the paint being used a bit more thinly on them gives each Senshi's cover a delicate and dreamlike feel, like they are a beautiful mirage and could be gone any second, ephemeral. I'm not much fond of the original covers, I adore the pictures on them, I just don't think they look good as covers rather than as artwork in the pages, though they still have the beauty of being the original ones, I guess.
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime12th April 2016, 10:04 am

I definitely like the new covers better. Collectively, I just find them more visually appealing.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime12th April 2016, 10:51 pm

I like all of the covers, though the first edition covers hold more sentimental value to me because those were the first manga books I owned (in fact, vol 15 of Sailor Moon was my first legit copy of any manga). I like the second edition because the art style is cute and is quite different from the art I grew up seeing from Naoko Takeuchi, but it was also nice to see her go back to coloring with traditional media (I'm almost 100% certain she colored the second editions artwork digitally) for the third edition.
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
Eidolune

Eidolune

Title : GC's Official Princess Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime13th April 2016, 7:44 am

I recently acquired two volumes of the older manga in English, and I have to say, I do prefer the newer covers. The flow is really nice and I like the design on the backs.
Back to top Go down
http://tallladyserenity.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9xMFgmhp4C7iHaQdoWs4Ig
Sailor Saturn
Outer Senshi Admin
Events & Storyline Admin

Sailor Saturn

Outer Senshi Admin  Events & Storyline Admin

Title :

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime13th April 2016, 10:52 am

The old manga covers always felt more special and unique to me, but they also kind of lack a certain connective quality to them, if that makes sense xD Like, with the old mangas, the styles range so differently from one another, and you never quite know what you're going to get. If I didn't know Sailor Moon, and were to look at a group of them, I'm not sure I would quickly grasp the fact that they are all for the same series.

The new covers are more simplistic, maybe even a little generic, but they are all connected by that same kind of style, if you get what I mean by that xD So personally, whilst I think the old ones are far more interesting to look at, I think the new ones are much better as covers for a multi-book series!
Back to top Go down
http://ley-rose.tumblr.com/ http://leyrose.deviantart.com/
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime13th April 2016, 3:16 pm

I like all three editions’ covers for different reasons, so my preference changes depending on what qualities we're comparing. xD

Like many have mentioned here, the first covers highlight Naoko’s traditional art wonderfully, and each cover has some kind of connection to the chapters the volume holds. I think they’re the best covers if you want already hooked fans to get excited for the continuation of the story in that volume, but they do lack consistency when compared to each other. So to new fans, it might be confusing if you saw a group of various volumes at the same time.

The second edition covers have uniformity, but while the style has grown on me a lot, I prefer Naoko’s traditional art style. Regardless, these covers are beautiful and I think this style fits the younger characters (Chibiusa and Chibichibi) very well. I agree with others about the other senshi’s Eternal forms feeling a bit out of place after the first volume and I wish we could have seen everybody’s original fuku’s in this style. One of my favorite things about these volumes is that they highlight the senshi’s iconic poses / powers / talismans and tell quite a lot about their personalities.

Then there is the Kanzenban edition. What I love about these covers is that they have a consistent theme and the senshi in their first fuku’s. I feel Naoko’s style in these covers is closer to what it was in the original covers, but with an updated, more elegant look. To me, the biggest minus is that somehow some of these covers seem to lack energy that was present in both previous editions. (Probably because of the more mature look combined with the characters’ poses.) However, I really like the backgrounds of these volumes and how they create an atmosphere that’s fitting for the characters and their powers.
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top