The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Pacing in the Manga

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

Title : Advisor to the Goddess

Pacing in the Manga Empty
PostSubject: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime17th December 2011, 4:36 pm

So. I finally bought Codename: Sailor V 1 & 2 at Barnes & Nobel at the mall (yay!). Needless to say, I devoured them (figuratively...) as soon as I could, and have re-read them multiple times.

While I was reading it, I noticed that it seemed to be a faster pace than the main series. Which isn't particularly surprising, but I'm not sure if it's just the flow of how I read it...
Anyway, I would have loved to see it slowed down a little, teensy bit more. A couple of sequences left me a bit confused about what just happened/how/why it happened.

Is it just me, or...?

Back to top Go down
http://bunnyblushies.tumblr.com
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime18th December 2011, 2:06 am

Codename: Sailor V to me feels more like an action/comedy manga with a hint of romance, compared to Sailor Moon which is more of an epic romance with action in it. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime18th December 2011, 8:01 am

Both Sailor V and Sailor Moon are very fast paced, especially compared to the anime. So if its your first time reading the manga and have seen the anime, it may seem weird to you.

Keep in mind, that when they were originally being released, people were waiting a month in between chapters since they were being released in a monthly magazine. Then when it gets compiled together, it seems faster. I always had a tendency to read my manga fast. To the point where I would get confused too. I slowed myself down with these releases of SM because i already knew of the faster pacing and wanted to be able to enjoy them.

Also, Sailor V was slowly being released over the time period that Sailor Moon was released and it is shorter. If i remember correctly, it took 3 years for all of Sailor Moon to be released so it took that amount of time for Sailor V as well. So i think when it gets put together in the graphic novel format is goes by very fast.
Back to top Go down
JoJiaMystie
Lotus Crystal

JoJiaMystie

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Galaxia Sama

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime18th December 2011, 8:20 am

Basically the same thing happens when they make a series out of a movie. In the movies there are a lot of details that just aren't there, but it still makes sense. As for the series, they add many details that are fun to see but not really necessary to the story, example, friends going shopping together and talking about everything and nothing and laughing with each other. But of course, all this adds personality somehow and that's what is fun about series. You get attached to the characters more because you see them even in stupid or fun situations they wouldn't find necessary putting in a movie.
Back to top Go down
http://SunBaby17.wixsite.com/jiaartistetatoueur http://jojiamystie.deviantart.com
Kara
Lotus Crystal

Kara

Lotus Crystal

Title : Hierophant Princess

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime19th December 2011, 9:58 am

I absolutely adore the manga and it's fast pace, chaotic nature to it. It is very speedy compared to the Sailor Moon anime, but I like that. I think some of the chapters would of been dull if they dwelled on them too long. The only complaint I have towards it is that maybe it could of slowed down to take time to flesh out some of Minako's friends? But I guess it was always on the move like V herself. XD
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime30th December 2011, 9:04 pm

It has a fast pace? I just got vol 1 the other day, but I have gotten far into the series because of scanlations. I stopped reading because I wanted to read the official translation. But to me Sailor V has always been at a slower pace than the Sailor Moon manga. For example in vol. 1 Minako becomes Sailor V then in vol. 2 we see Minako in the Crown playing video games. Vol 2 was about her training through video games (which is odd isnt? XD), but she didn't take down any bad guys. In Sailor Moon Manga in Act 1 Usagi becomes Sailor Moon then Act 2 Ami becomes in Sailor Mercury and then in Act 3 Rei becomes Sailor Mars. Finally in Act 4 we get a break from finding the inner soldiers.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

Princess Sailor Mai

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime8th December 2015, 9:14 pm

I think it was supposed to be more of action piece than a romance, although there were hints of a budding romance between Ace and V.  I, too agree, that Codename: Sailor V could have slowed down a bit.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime8th June 2016, 5:54 am

To me, Codename: Sailor V felt a lot more episodic than Sailor Moon. Each chapter of V is a self contained story (with a few exceptions near the end). Every act of SM is interconnected, so the pacing feels more... Connected, I guess? I didn't think V is especially slow or fast, really.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime20th June 2016, 9:28 am

Codename: Sailor V reminded me of the 90s anime of Sailor Moon in this style. I remember a reviewer once said that while it is still good, it felt like it was an early sketch of Sailor Moon. I'd say that was very accurate. While Sailor V is still great, I think I prefer the episodic texture in tv shows than I would in manga and comics.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Xenox33
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime6th September 2016, 8:10 am

I think for me the biggest pacing issue was the handling of Natsuna and Wakagi.  For the first ten issues of the manga one or the other of these characters appeared almost all the time.  Natsuna had her big crush on Sailor V, while Wakagi absolutely hated her for taking justice into her own hands making the police look bad.

Then in chapter 10 you have what is practically a cliffhanger when Natsuna sees Minako transform learning her identity....and then the two characters disappear not to be even mentioned for the next four issues.  Now I read Sailor V in its compiled volumes...I can't even imagine how annoying this would have been for those reading at the time of publication given the massive wait in-between issues here for a cliffhanger to just be completely ignored for that long.

In chapter 15 Minako casually mentions that Natsuna has been calling her trying to get her to join the police, and she later meets with Natsuna and Wakagi at the airport and he now not only knows her identity but is apparently fine with her now too?   The whole thing just made me double check to make sure I hadn't accidentally skipped an issue or some pages somewhere where Natsuna first contacted Minako about her secret and we got Wakagi's reaction and change of heart?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime9th September 2016, 10:46 am

Oh! That is something I picked up on my last read through of Sailor V! It was like she was planning up something but then suddenly decided she needed to conclude the Sailor V story and wrote them out. Maybe its possible at that point since the first season of the original anime made up its own Sailor V backstory (and iirc, the Sailor V manga took a much longer time to come out so by this point i think the anime was in its 5th season or so) she decided to leave it more open ended??
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime20th November 2016, 7:46 pm

I always thought that the speed was because of the greater emphasis on humour and the episodic MotD style plots as well.

As for the handling of Natsuna and Wakagi...

Brit-chan wrote:
Maybe its possible at that point since the first season of the original anime made up its own Sailor V backstory (and iirc, the Sailor V manga took a much longer time to come out so by this point i think the anime was in its 5th season or so) she decided to leave it more open ended??

Wow that's something I hadn't considered! Crazy how much the logistical production issues have shaped the in-universe realities!! I’ve just started to appreciate that in recent years…
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
TS Sailor Cronus
Lotus Crystal

TS Sailor Cronus

Lotus Crystal

Title : TITAN SOLDIER OF STARS AND DESTINY! SAILOR CRONUS!

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime1st February 2017, 7:45 pm

Takeuchi often ran into problems with deadlines, and she initially only made Sailor V as a one-shot deal. When she turned to Sailor Moon and serialized it, fans were begging for more of Sailor V. I believe her contract put more emphasis on Moon, so as a result V took longer to complete, comparitively. Also remember that, setting aside how long each physically took to be written, Sailor V's story takes one year in-story, whereas Sailor Moon spans multiple years, seeing them graduate into high school and everything. So some of that "pacing" is a bit illusional.

I believe the reason that certain in-story explanations are not addressed has to do with the fact that Takeuchi had to prioritize more focus on Sailor Moon, which was the bigger breadwinner here (series, movies, musicals, merchandise, live series, etc.). Like it or not she had to make sacrifices. :/
Back to top Go down
http://tssc-manga.weebly.com https://www.deviantart.com/enfpurplekitti
nm___i3bfc
Lotus Crystal

nm___i3bfc

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Kakyuu

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime3rd January 2019, 9:32 pm

Having finished the series finally, I feel that the pacing towards the conclusion seemed a bit quick. But I think that the series, as it's mainly about Minako, may have been meant to go slower with the monster-of-the-day kind of format that was mentioned previously already in this thread, until the focus went to Sailor Moon, which probably meant that Sailor V had to end. I think that if Sailor V continued on it may have been more like the Sailor Moon anime in that regard, as there wouldn't be the other Senshi to introduce and the story would have been able to proceed slower in its pacing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pacing in the Manga   Pacing in the Manga I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pacing in the Manga

View previous topic View next topic Back to top