The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

What are you reading? (books)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime16th September 2018, 6:30 pm

Princess Luna wrote:
Ooh Cosmos who is the series by? It sounds interesting!
The series is published by dark horse comics, and is written by Kevin Panetta with Paulina Ganucheau as the main illustrator. The pacing is a bit wonky-especially in the later issues during arc two-but it's still a super fun read.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Ami (PGSM)

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime23rd September 2018, 1:45 pm

I stopped reading Cress and began reading Dracula.   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 1018529576
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

Title : Guardian of Uncontrollable Curiosity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime23rd September 2018, 4:01 pm

I am rereading Lirael by Garth Nix, because I am stressed and it is very relaxing.
Back to top Go down
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Luna.

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime29th September 2018, 4:50 pm

I started reading The Selection series.
Back to top Go down
http://meganalburger.weebly.com
Jess-chan
Lotus Crystal

Jess-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Offical Team Rocket member

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime6th November 2018, 12:27 pm

I'm almost done with Cress. I have question! Do I have to read Fairest before starting Winter or is a stand alone book in the series?
Back to top Go down
http://angelicsakura.tumblr.com/ http://hoshisama.deviantart.com
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime6th November 2018, 6:43 pm

^you don't have to, but I would because it does help you understand Levana's character more for the next book. Again not a necessity but a help.

I'm read Dante's Inferno, Will by G. Gordon Liddy (an autobiography written by a key player in Watergate), and The Dark Tower Book 1: The Gunslinger by Stephen King.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime6th November 2018, 11:06 pm

I'm reading Stephen Fry's Mythos right now. I'm absolutely loving it and I encourage anyone who wants to learn about the stories of the gods and heroes it's a well written account using modern context and references. It's a great read!

I've also noticed I'm buying more books before I finish reading them. ^^;
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
Jess-chan
Lotus Crystal

Jess-chan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime7th November 2018, 1:06 pm

Sailor Zelda wrote:
^you don't have to, but I would because it does help you understand Levana's character more for the next book. Again not a necessity but a help.

Okay very good to know! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime1st December 2018, 1:49 pm

Finished Cress now I am reading Winter.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime3rd December 2018, 2:13 am

I'm currently reading Adam Hill's biography Best Foot Forward. It's a ripping good book full of stories and anecdotes. Great for anyone who loves comedy or Hills especially.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime3rd December 2018, 6:00 pm

I am reading The Ties That Bind by Makoto Inoue, which is a Fullmetal Alchemist light novel.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime16th December 2018, 12:37 am

I just finished reading The Testament of Loki. It's a really good mix of semi-realistic fantasy with genuine mythology. It's by no means a Sailor Moon story, it has more adult themes and given the nature of the characters it has a much heavier focus on psychology, but it's still a fantastic read if you like Norse mythology. The depictions of the gods are excellently portrayed, especially Loki himself.
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime16th December 2018, 6:31 am

I finished reading Winter and in my opinion the Lunar Chronicles is wonderful series.  I highly recommend it.  

I am reading The Ice Queen by Alice Hoffman.
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime24th January 2019, 5:14 pm

I can't seem to find a good book.  So I am rereading Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime24th January 2019, 10:01 pm

The last yeah has been great for books, I can give you some recommendations if you like. :3

I've only just started reading LotR: the Fellowship of the Ring last night. xD The book I finished before was Stephen Fry's Heroes, it's the second book after Mythos and it's another great book for learning about Greek myth. I'll have to reread the section of Bellephone to see if there are any references to SuperS.
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime25th January 2019, 4:19 am

Please do.  I want to find a book/series that I just can't put down.   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 335194840
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime28th January 2019, 11:25 pm

Well I haven't found a series yet but I am on the lookout. I'll assume you're looking for fiction and not stuff like mythology or mathematics but if I'm wrong let me know.

Two really good stories I love were Circe by Madeline Miller and the Testament of Loki by Joanne M Harris. As you can tell from the titles they are both mythology based but each are excellent reads for anyone with a fantasy bent. Circe is a modern retelling the mythos surrounding the ancient Greek sorceress Circe, she's a surprisingly modern character for her time, strong willed and independent, and the use of magic is very different - much more tactile and admittedly more gory but that was the time back then. The Testament of Loki is more a proper fiction inspired by mythology than an outright retelling, the story is a continuation after Ragnorak where Loki frees himself from his prison and tries to return to Asgard via Midgard - Earth. The author has done an amazing job reproducing the personality of Loki and the other gods as well as ground the story in the modern world with things like how Loki and the gods would act in Midgard. It's a wonderful read but it also has an excellent life lesson for teens, no spoilers. x3

Apart from those two I loved Ready Player One by Ernest Kline, it's such a well thought out universe and the story is a perfect reflection of the gaming and internet culture in the past. I'd also recommend Best Foot Forward, Adam Hills' biography. If you don't mind some profanity here and there it's such a funny read about one of our great comedians in a personal way, his life has been fantastic. Those are the books I'd recommend. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime29th January 2019, 4:44 am

Thanks.  I've written down your recommendations.   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 1955989781
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Dreaming
Lotus Crystal

Moonlight Dreaming

Lotus Crystal

Title : ----tv static----

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 6:44 am

I'm currently reading the Fate/Zero light novel by Gen Urobuchi. It's not half bad.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime30th January 2019, 6:59 am

I am awful about updating this. I just finished The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May. I think I am going to start Bloodleaf by Crystal Smith next.
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime2nd February 2019, 7:01 am

I did my research on The Testament of Loki and I discovered that it is the 2nd book.  I am going to order both The Gospel of Loki and the Testament of Loki.  Again Chrissifniotis, thanks for the suggestion!!  

At the moment I am reading The Mist of Avalon.
Back to top Go down
Jess-chan
Lotus Crystal

Jess-chan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime3rd February 2019, 3:04 pm

I just started reading Winter
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime15th February 2019, 9:57 am

I read The Song of Achilles.  After crying for two days, I have started in on a re-read of The Illiad.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime15th February 2019, 1:04 pm

I just started reading Ash Princess. It's not bad, surprisingly brutal for a YA fantasy novel. I'm about 60 pages in, and once I find the time to pick it back up, I'll finish it in a day.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime17th February 2019, 11:13 pm

Sailor Arkas wrote:
I read The Song of Achilles.  After crying for two days, I have started in on a re-read of The Illiad.

Oh, I've been meaning to read that ever since Circe. No doubt you like the book.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime18th February 2019, 4:54 pm

chrissifniotis wrote:
Oh, I've been meaning to read that ever since Circe. No doubt you like the book.

I do like it quite a lot ... Circe is on my to-read list.  I assume it's pretty good, too?

Oh, and I have added Faerie Wars just to lighten up my reading list a little.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime18th February 2019, 10:31 pm

Sailor Arkas wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:

I do like it quite a lot ... Circe is on my to-read list.  I assume it's pretty good, too?

Oh, and I have added Faerie Wars just to lighten up my reading list a little.

I definitely recommend it. It's not just a great rendition of the mythology of the character but a different take on magic nowadays, I really like how Miller describes it as a skill rather than a latent talent. A great read I think. :3
Back to top Go down
Sailor Arkas
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Arkas

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime20th April 2019, 8:34 am

Haven't gotten Circe yet (have it on hold at the library, still have like another month or something). However, I am reading Ruin and Rising while I wait.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime22nd April 2019, 11:57 pm

I'm still in the middle of the Fellowship of the Ring. ^^; That's partly due to writing in bed before I sleep and sometimes just being too tired to read. That being said there's another little book I'm reading as well called 'The Simpsons and their Mathematical Secrets' by Simon Singh. If you love the Simpsons it really is worth checking this book out, a lot of the writers of the show and Futurama have bachelors and masters in math and science subjects and they sneak in heaps of obscure math references in both shows.
Back to top Go down
Jess-chan
Lotus Crystal

Jess-chan

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime12th May 2019, 7:58 am

I read a little bit of the twisted Disney series book Part of Your World but dropped it since it felt like a chore to continue. I just started reading the Renegades series and I like what I've read so far!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you reading? (books)   What are you reading? (books) - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What are you reading? (books)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top