The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Holiday Traditions Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

Holiday Traditions Thread  Empty
PostSubject: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime14th December 2013, 3:39 pm

(Friendly Note: All Forum Rules Apply!)

Probably most of us have some kind of holiday related traditions, from smaller things like spending the New Year watching fireworks or baking tasty treats just before the celebration day, to possibly having a party with your family or friends, dedicated to the time spent together. Or perhaps the holidays give you the chance to just sit down and relax, and you count days to that moment for weeks.

This thread is for you to share those traditions with other members of GC, whether you want to write about your traditions or what you look forward to before the holiday. Or maybe you want to write about the things that you always find yourself doing during the holiday or what starts a certain part of the year (be it any season) for you!
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
mysteryloveandjustice
Lotus Crystal

mysteryloveandjustice

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter <3

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime14th December 2013, 7:04 pm

One tradition that we always did was me and my little brother got to open one small present on Christmas Eve just before we went to bed xD Don't know how it started but it just kinda did and we always looked forward to that xD

Another was when we decorated our tree after we were done we'd shut off all the lights, put on some slow and pretty Christmas music and just spend some time gazing at the tree and talking with each other. It was always so nice and it really helped us all slow down and connect better <3
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime14th December 2013, 9:36 pm

Well, its usually the same thing for me. Christmas Eve we all celebrate at my aunt's house. Its usually my mom, dad, sister, cousins, and other relatives that may be in town at the time.  We usually eat yummy food, catch up with each other, and give presents to everyone.  Since I used to work in retail, I usually would show up late (like after 7 pm) and hang out till 11 pm or later before the 2 hour drive back home.

Usually on Christmas Day (after I got with my fiance), we would go to his parents house to eat and do presents.

I'm not really sure what we're doing this year as his parents just went through a divorce. I think me and him are just going to enjoy the day off together with us and the cats, maybe go to a movie. I might make movie's on Christmas a new tradition. ^_^
Back to top Go down
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime14th December 2013, 10:35 pm

for the longest time we always opened presents on Christmas ever. My grandmas tradition. we would open stockings on Christmas morning and have a Christmas lunch. In 2007 we started opening presents on Christmas morning. I am sad as a kid i never got to wake up my parents to come open gifts and hope to do it when i have kids. We still have a Christmas meal, but we ususally watch Its a wonderful life and a Christmas story

also my mom does the 12 days of Christmas. statring Dec 14, I usually get 1 gift to open until Christmas morning. she didnt really do it this year because i am moving home and just dont want to have her ship stuff up and send back home.

looking forward to going home for the holidays.
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
Tuxedo Mistress
Lotus Crystal

Tuxedo Mistress

Lotus Crystal

Title : That girl with a Sailor Jupiter tattoo =)

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime15th December 2013, 6:55 pm

well, i don't really celebrate =D

i just buy gifts for my husband and daughter and this year my husband will be at work while the kid will be at her father's... which means i'm gonna spam the whole board LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.soulgeek.com.br https://www.youtube.com/user/mimakoto
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime16th December 2013, 4:00 am

mysteryloveandjustice wrote:
One tradition that we always did was me and my little brother got to open one small present on Christmas Eve just before we went to bed xD Don't know how it started but it just kinda did and we always looked forward to that xD

We used to do that, too Stephie. xD Only the day before since like Hikari's family used to do earlier, we open presents on Christmas Eve here.

One thing that could be called kind of a tradition is that we have the habit to usually go to a certain Christmas market, mainly just walking around the stalls or possibly buying something small (like roasted almonds or new gloves).

Speaking of season related traditions, what marks the beginning of winter for me nowadays is a cup of chai latte. I usually only drink it during the cold season so it kind of gives me the feel of winter when enjoyed in cold, open air. On the other side, spring starts for me when I can abandon my winter coat and start to wear a less thick one thanks to the warmer weather.
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
Drops Of Stars
Star Seed

Drops Of Stars

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime16th December 2013, 8:53 am

My mother cooks Christmas breakfast, and it's always stuff we never have any other time of the year (unless we go to Disney World and they have it somewhere we're eating.) So it's special, and it's my favourite meal of the year besides St Patrick's Day. We have Eggs Benedict, french toast (dipped in eggnog instead of milk), bacon, sausage, and lox (cured salmon).. We open all the gifts first, then sit around eating breakfast in our PJs watching the Disney Christmas parade. Then my mom will make hourve dovres for dinner. lol. This year I'll have my fiance with me, so I'm excited.
Back to top Go down
Aztnara
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Bad Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime16th December 2013, 9:43 am

Well I think this isn't a 'tradition' more like 'superstition', but on new years we ate 12 grapes at 12 pm and make one wish with each grape.
Also there is another one that we go outside the house with travel bags which is supposed to give you good luck with traveling plans and all that  Holiday Traditions Thread  3269465977
Back to top Go down
http://koijustice.tumblr.com http://sayuri-chiba.deviantart.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime16th December 2013, 5:44 pm

Drops Of Stars wrote:
My mother cooks Christmas breakfast, and it's always stuff we never have any other time of the year (unless we go to Disney World and they have it somewhere we're eating.) So it's special, and it's my favourite meal of the year besides St Patrick's Day. We have Eggs Benedict, french toast (dipped in eggnog instead of milk), bacon, sausage, and lox (cured salmon).. We open all the gifts first, then sit around eating breakfast in our PJs watching the Disney Christmas parade. Then my mom will make hourve dovres for dinner. lol. This year I'll have my fiance with me, so I'm excited.

THAT SOUNDS AMAZING. I might have to steal your tradition... e.e
Back to top Go down
NaoUranus
Lotus Crystal

NaoUranus

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official NaoUranus/myuteer

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime16th December 2013, 6:59 pm

We always have bacon and cheese waffles on Christmas eve for dinner it's not something I ever get the rest of the year so it's a tradition I always look forward to because I love them so much.than on Christmas morning about 5:30 or 6 AM (used to be me) my brother runs around the house waking everyone up to open presents. We usually go back to bed for an hour or two and than get up. My grandfather makes cinnamon rolls or caramel rolls for breakfast. Than we watch the movies and than play the bored games we got as well as listen to the CD's we got. than we eat dinner which we have corned beef for. that's usually about 2 or 3 in the afternoon and the rest of the day we snake on what ever snack we make for the day.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Xillia
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Xillia

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Eudial/Eugeal.

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime16th December 2013, 8:03 pm

Everyone seems to have exciting [and yummy!] traditions!
Back to top Go down
http://asukapasta.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/DicloniusLucy666?feature=mhee
sailor_of_the_sea
Pyramidal Crystal

sailor_of_the_sea

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Michiru

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime18th December 2013, 6:31 pm

I almost chose to write my master's thesis on food and how different regions and cultures make different kinds of food a part of their tradition and after reading all the food posts, I wish I could go back in time!

The food tradition for me is always a ham. Being of Spanish descent, a roasted pork was a staple at any major dinner or holiday, even Thanksgiving, but not Christmas. Christmas belonged to a ham. My father said it was his attempt to look like the family in the Norman Rockwell paintings, though that's not how he said it. He said the guy who's paintings are always in the dentist's office, but that's besides the point. So it was always ham and mashed potatoes, and it was the only day we ever ate ham.

And then, just as a random tradition, my family watches Home Alone every Christmas day. Since it released to video however eons ago that was, we always watch it. And my dad still laughs so hard tears roll down his face. It's something so simple, but it's fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime20th December 2013, 6:47 am

The Day after thanksgiving is decoration day. o_o
Holiday Traditions Thread  169_524281938015_6049_n

Holiday Traditions Thread  169_524281943005_6318_n

Holiday Traditions Thread  169_524281952985_6871_n

[img][Only admins are allowed to see this link]

And then there's the penguin-filled "south pole", not pictured.

some of us are convinced the only reason our mother gave birth to us was to have christmas decoration slaves. ((just kidding.))((...maybe.))
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Sailor Saturn
Outer Senshi Admin
Events & Storyline Admin

Sailor Saturn

Outer Senshi Admin  Events & Storyline Admin

Title :

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime20th December 2013, 3:04 pm

A new tradition that is present in my family is that every year we have decided to pick out a new (or a few xD) christmas ornaments/decorations. We hope that in a while, we'll have a pretty impressive stock of things to deck out the whole house with one year haha

It's fun to go look at all the ornaments though :3 I love all the sparkling and happy things of Christmas, and the little christmas tomtens here in sweden are just too cute xD

Holiday Traditions Thread  AshbeeDesignviktor-christmas-tomte4

Back to top Go down
http://ley-rose.tumblr.com/ http://leyrose.deviantart.com/
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime20th December 2013, 4:46 pm

First of all, in my country we don't celebrate christmas, we celebrate christmas eve, and we don't exchange gifts or children get gifts on christmas morning, it's not a tradition, but some families do this (since people like to copy US traditions -_-), and some people give gifts to some people they care about. children here get their gifts on january 6th.

So my christmas eve tradition is, NONE, some of my relatives get together in my house or one of my relative's house and we have this big feast, we drink beer, wine or champagne, we have candies, and we share as a family, is really nice ^^. and on christmas i also do NOTHING, usually i call and text people wishing them a merry christmas and if by any chance my friends gather i join them.

My only tradition is on december 31/january 1. i don't sleep until i see the sunrise of january 1st close to a breakwater (not sure if this is the appropriate word D:), and it's very beautiful, then after the sunrise we go and eat breakfast and then go to sleep until 5pm or something XD

Last edited by Haine on 20th December 2013, 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime20th December 2013, 6:37 pm

Sailor Pluto wrote:
Holiday Traditions Thread  AshbeeDesignviktor-christmas-tomte4

OMG Those are so cute!! They remind me of David the Gnome. xD

Haine wrote:
My only tradition is on december 21/january 1. i don't sleep until i see the sunrise of january 1st close to a breakwater (not sure if this is the appropriate word D:), and it's very beautiful, then after the sunrise we go and eat breakfast and then go to sleep until 5pm or something XD

That's a really awesome tradition. But what is a breakwater?
Back to top Go down
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime20th December 2013, 6:44 pm

Stupid translator for not helping >_> ... what a meant, something like this:
[Only admins are allowed to see this link]

we call it here "Malecón"

EDIT: the word i was looking for is boardwalk!
thanks my dear fiance =D
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime20th December 2013, 7:02 pm

Oooooooooh that sounds really romantic and sweet and beautiful. ^_^
Back to top Go down
senshiofmom
Star Seed

senshiofmom

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime21st December 2013, 5:49 pm

When I was a kid, we would write family member's names on ornaments for our Christmas tree. Since I'm currently babyproofingnfor for our first christmas, I used paper tags to write names of my and my husband's family. It was low cost and a great way to keep tradition.
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime21st December 2013, 7:05 pm

My fiance and I started a new tradition. Each year we will make our Christmas stockings. We madr ours today.
Back to top Go down
senshiofmom
Star Seed

senshiofmom

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime22nd December 2013, 12:14 pm

Sailor Venus - so what will you do with the previous year? Donate? Project Christmas child or goodwill might appreciate it, if the names aren't permanent.
Back to top Go down
Mokoni
Star Seed

Mokoni

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime22nd December 2013, 12:33 pm

As someone of Jewish heritage and religion from the Big Apple...there's a stereotype here of Jews going to see a movie and ordering in Chinese food (or making it in some cases). My parents and I will be following that tradition (which we have done for as long as I can remember).
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime22nd December 2013, 12:41 pm

I am definitely going to keep the stockings from this year, since they are our first. It would be neat to compare them after ten years or something. We may keep them, just because it would be cool to see how they evolve over the years. None of them have names on them and we never had Christmas stockings at our apartment before.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime22nd December 2013, 1:49 pm

Mokoni wrote:
As someone of Jewish heritage and religion from the Big Apple...there's a stereotype here of Jews going to see a movie and ordering in Chinese food (or making it in some cases). My parents and I will be following that tradition (which we have done for as long as I can remember).

That sounds like a good tradition to follow. xD I always wanted to go get Chinese food on Christmas a la "A Christmas Story" style lol.
Back to top Go down
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

Senior Member  Saturn Emeritus

Title : (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。magical weirdo, Original Saturn

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime24th December 2013, 9:36 pm

On my dad's side of the family, I always eat a good o'l Polish seafood dinner on Christmas eve.

My boyfriend and I at my grandmas.

Holiday Traditions Thread  1149696_10152114570703130_738970191_o

I think everyone should appreciate this Snoopy lighting at my grandma's house. Very Happy

Holiday Traditions Thread  1486776_10152114566423130_346136884_n

Hmm Sea Food
Holiday Traditions Thread  1535645_10152114565718130_926200629_n
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions Thread    Holiday Traditions Thread  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top