The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Artemis
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

Artemis

Inner Senshi AdminMember Support Director

Title : Formerly Sailor Gallifrey // "Professional" Bassoon Player ♡

Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members Empty
PostSubject: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime16th November 2016, 3:14 pm

Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members JviVKFx
Thank you to Diana for the lovely header!

The winter season, especially December, is a special time for many people all around the world, including many of GC's members! So what do our lovely forum members do to celebrate? A little while ago, I sent some members a short survey about what holidays they celebrate and what traditions they have during this coldest season of the year. Let's see what they had to say!

Snowflake What winter holidays do you or your family celebrate? Snowflake

Of the 10 members polled, 100% (all 10) of them selected Christmas as they holiday they celebrate (out of the choices of Christmas, Hanukkah, Other, and None).

Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members Gc_hol11

Snowflake Christmas ~ A Brief History Snowflake

Christmas is a religious holiday in the Christian faith. It celebrates the anniversary of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth, a spiritual figure whose teachings are the basis of the Christian religion. Christmas traditions are both religious and secular, and they include exchanging gifts, attending church services, decorating Christmas trees and waiting for the arrival of Santa Claus, a mythical figure who is said to deliver presents to all the children in the world on Christmas Eve (as long as they make Santa's "good" list, that is Smile ).

This holiday began around the 4th century when Pope Julius I chose December 25th as the date of the birth of Jesus (because the Bible did not specify an exact date). It is commonly believed that this date was chosen in an effort to adopt the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival celebrated in Rome to honor Saturn, the god of agriculture. After Christmas was widely adopted and embraced in America in the 19th century, they helped transform it from a crazy carnival day to the peaceful, warm-hearted, and family-focused holiday it is today.

Another commonly celebrated holiday is Hanukkah!

Snowflake Hanukkah ~ A Brief History Snowflake

Hanukkah (also known as Chanukah or the Festival of Lights) is an eight-day-long celebration celebrated by those in the Jewish faith. It commemorates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem in the 2nd century BCE. According to the Talmud (one of Judaism's central sacred texts), the Jews who were present at the rededication of the Second Temple were said to have witnessed a miracle--the olive oil used to light the menorah, supposed to last for only one day, instead lasted for eight days, prompting Jewish sages to proclaim a yearly eight-day festival.

Hanukkah means "dedication" in Hebrew and is celebrated beginning on the 25th of Kislev on the Hebrew calendar, which generally falls in November or December. This year, Hanukkah will start on the evening of Saturday, December 24th and ends on the evening of Sunday, January 1st. Hanukkah is commonly celebrated by lighting the menorah, eating traditional foods, playing traditional games, and giving gifts.

Snowflake Holiday Fun Facts Snowflake 

Candy Cane Each year, 30-35 million real Christmas trees are sold in the United States alone. There are 21,000 Christmas tree growers in the United States, and trees usually grow for about 15 years before they are sold.
Candy Cane Christmas was declared a federal holiday in the United States on June 26, 1870.
Candy Cane The Salvation Army has been sending Santa Claus-clad donation collectors into the streets since the 1890s.
Candy Cane Around 17.5 million oily doughnuts (sufganiyot) are eaten in Israel during Hanukkah, commemorating the miracle of oil.
Candy Cane Spinning the dreidel was originally done by students illegally studying the Torah. When Greek soldiers would make a surprise raid, students would whip out a dreidel, pretending to play a gambling game.
Note: It's important to keep in mind that though these two holidays are both widely celebrated, many people celebrate other holidays or none at all--this is by no means a complete list! If you or your family celebrate a different holiday, let me know and I will add it to this post so everyone can learn about it! Smile

Snowflake What are some special traditions that you/your family have during the winter season? Snowflake

No matter if they celebrate a specific winter holiday or not, many people and their families have special traditions during the winter season! The respondents to this poll had lots of great stories and traditions to share:

Sailor Neptune wrote:
Sometimes we travel to colder places in order to feel real winter, [and] sometimes we stay and just have a family Christmas dinner/gathering kind of deal. We also go to church for Christmas Eve at some point. And of course, we put up a Christmas tree. Decorating the tree has always been something my mom and I do every year, so it's a tradition for just the two of us.

Celest wrote:
During the holidays, my family has a gathering with our relatives! It's kind of pot-luck style, where everybody brings something home made and we cook the main entree! This year, now that I live with my boyfriend I'm adopting one of his traditions: marathon watching the entire Harry Potter series...oh boy.

Neo King Helios wrote:
Going on a Christmas Party with my mates.

Dark Sportsnutd wrote:
"Trying" to drive to my aunt/uncle's place..but mom can't drive well in snow/sleet/ice

Diana wrote:
Celebrating together with family and friends.

Kai wrote:
Decorating the Christmas Tree [and] getting together with family.

Sailor Mercury wrote:
On Christmas morning, my mother runs around the house with jingle bells, screaming "Santa was here!" For any of my siblings who are not present, she will call to jingle said bells and issue her cry of "Santa was here!" so they don't miss out. It starts the day off with something silly and enthusiastic.
Although we are all adults, we frequently write thank you letters to "Santa" on Christmas Eve. (In my family's home, "Santa" prefers these more than cookies and milk.) Sometimes "Santa" writes back. Wink It's a nice way to spread a little bit of kindness and gratitude.

Cosmos-Hime wrote:
Normally, we put the tree up while blasting holiday music, and throughout the weeks leading up to Christmas, we take drives at night to see all the lights and decoration on every street and try to compare and contrast as to which house was the best, and which street was the best. My grandmother and I have also started a small tradition of our own, by marathoning cheesy holiday hallmark films and just talking and joking through them. [We're] hoping to get the rest of the family in on the harmless critiquing fun! Come Christmas day, everyone opens their presents in no particular order, [we] just would wait until the previous person was done, and we always have every TV on to the yearly Christmas story marathon for the entire day.

Andalusite wrote:
My family does not do anything out of the ordinary for the holidays: we just spend time together and eat a lot of food. XD On Christmas Eve, I usually spend the evening with my dad and then go to Midnight mass with my grandparents. On Christmas day, my mom, stepdad, and I usually get up around 10AM, eat breakfast, open presents, and then head over to my aunt's or grandma's house for a Christmas dinner.

Eternal Knight wrote:
Just the usual gathering. We used to go to a cabin when I was young, 'cause the whole family had 9-10 cabins and we all gathered there, but most of them were sold in the last years. So now it's mostly Christmas with close family and not with the whole bunch.

Snowflake Why do you enjoy the winter/holiday season, and/or what does it mean to you? Snowflake

This was an optional question, but there were still some awesome answers! Very Happy The winter/holiday season really brings out the best in people, and there's always lots of happiness and holiday cheer in the air~

Neo King Helios wrote:
[I love] bringing everyone together and happy hour!

Sailor Neptune wrote:
For me since the season doesn't actually change, it's more about the atmosphere of it. I love Christmas songs and the feel of celebration/jolliness in the air, even if it's hot as hell outside. It just feels more hopeful and happy all around, and doing things as a family during this time of year feels more special. Especially when we travel to actual wintery places.

Celest wrote:
I REALLY LOVE SNOW

Dark Sportsnutd wrote:
I enjoy the chance to give presents to my friends and family and also I love helping make dinner and the hope that we have extras so we can take them to the homeless or our other neighbors.

Diana wrote:
Winter [represents] a cozy feeling for myself, and I simply enjoy eating and celebrating with my family, sharing this year's stories, etc. it's the most beautiful season of the year in my opinion.

Kai wrote:
I especially enjoy German "Christmas Markets".

Sailor Mercury wrote:
I enjoy the focus on sharing memories and giving gifts. It's cold and dark outside, so I want to warm and brighten my life with the people I care about. I love cozying up around a fireplace with a mug of hot tea and a holiday movie or meeting friends for ice skating in a park. I love seeing my family and going through time-honored routines of celebration. I try to warm my freezing home by turning the oven on to bake. I love thinking of winter as "the most wonderful time of the year", not exclusive to any holiday, and try to make it so as best I can! ♥️

Andalusite wrote:
Although I absolutely abhor winter (too cold and snowy for me XD), I love how much effort people put into decorating their homes! We get some fantastic lighting displays and nativity scenes on display in the richer neighborhoods. It's always fun to drive around and admire them. I also like what the city does in terms of activities and charities to get people involved and together in the community for the holidays!

I hope you enjoyed reading this holiday history and the traditions and celebrations of some of our lovely GC members! No matter how you celebrate, the winter season is always a joyous time where people spend quality time with their friends, family, and loved ones. Feel free to post your answers to some (or all!) of these questions--I'm sure many more of you have some great stories to share! ❤️

Special thanks to Neo King Helios, Sailor Neptune, Celest, Dark Sportsnutd, Diana, Kai, Sailor Mercury, Cosmos-Hime, Andalusite, and Eternal Knight for responding to the initial survey! Some responses have been edited for length and/or clarity.
History Sources: x, x, x
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonadventures.tumblr.com/
Artemis
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

Artemis

Inner Senshi AdminMember Support Director

Title : Formerly Sailor Gallifrey // "Professional" Bassoon Player ♡

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime2nd December 2016, 6:22 pm

Bumping because Festibration has started! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonadventures.tumblr.com/
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime2nd December 2016, 6:57 pm

My family doesn't have too many special traditions. My grandparents (my mom's parents and my dad's mother) come over on Christams morning to open up the stockings we have for them over here and to eat a breakfast. Later in the day, they come and eat my dad's AMAZING prime rib, and in the past five-six years, we've started going to see movies on Christmas (it's nice because there's almost no one there and we practically have the theater to ourselves). We also got to church on Christmas Eve together.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
RutleJake
Lotus Crystal

RutleJake

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime2nd December 2016, 7:32 pm

My Christmas traditions aren't very special (As of last year):
My folks and I open our stocking stuffers on Christmas morning, eat breakfast, then later on, we eat Christmas dinner.
Back to top Go down
http://jacobchu.deviantart.com https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS0LJZN3ouyvCZFAG_FxwEw
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime2nd December 2016, 9:24 pm

My family doesn't do the tree or presents thing (my paternal grandparents used to though). But we do do a family gathering with my uncle and/or aunt and have dinner at either their place or our place. Depending on whose house we go to, we might end up making and eating cioppino (my uncle's specialty, which, since we're Chinese, we make with cilantro instead of parsley), and it would end up being a giant mash up of Western and Asian cuisine (i.e. my aunt makes roasted beef ribs, my mom makes japchae noodles, etc).
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
Celest
Lotus Crystal

Celest

Lotus Crystal

Title : official sailor kakyuu lover ☆

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime6th December 2016, 9:07 am

It's so nice reading about everybody's traditions! I love how different Christmas is for all of us!  Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members 1434556979
Back to top Go down
Sailor Jupiter
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director

Sailor Jupiter

Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime6th December 2016, 10:55 am

Both of my parents are first generation Americans, so my grandparents came from Italy and Germany, and lived there for the first quarter of their lives before immigrating to America, so our traditions are very steeped in that heritage.

On December 6th, my family gets together to celebrate Nikolaus, which is a day where, traditionally, Saint Nick comes early and German children leave their shoes outside. If you get oranges and chocolates in your shoes, you've been good and can look forward to a good Christmas. If you get nothing, coal, (or in the olden days, a switch for a whooping!) then you've been bad, and you'd better shape up before Christmas comes! My Oma always gave my brother and I a small chocolate Santa, and my family gets together for dinner every December 6th to think of her and celebrate together. Coincidentally, that's today, so Happy Nikolaus, GC!

On Christmas Eve, we always eat 7 kinds of fish. I've looked up why Italians do this, and the reasons are as varied as the regions of Italy. I'd love to know, but I've chalked it up to, "It's just a tradition!" Usually, this is bonding time for my brother and I as we're in the kitchen for about an hour or two cooking up muscles, clams, a cold shrimp appetizer with sauce, calamari made from fresh squid, breaded flounder and lobster. Traditionally, the last fish is baccala - codfish dried by a salting process, then rehydrated in a water bath and cooked. My dad SWEARS it tastes like an old shoe, so we usually replace this with any in-season fish we feel like, such as mahi mahi. It sounds like a lot of food - and it is! As my parents have aged, we've taken to going out to a seafood restaurant instead to avoid the messy frying oil, breading, and fish smell in the house, which is just as fun!

On Christmas, I usually wake up before anyone else, and investigate the situation in a stocking hung on my door. Santa stuffs it with little trinkets and small candies, and always a new toothbrush because he's really into oral hygiene, I guess. Wink Then I patiently wait until an acceptable hour to go and shake everyone awake so that we can open presents and have coffee. The best part is watching my dog find her present and tear it open. She can always smell it, and it's really cute watching her pop her head in her bag and prance around happily with some new stuffed animal or squeaky ball toy. My mom always bakes cinnamon rolls for breakfast, and then I help her set the table and cook for a dinner (which we eat at midday, around 2 PM). My parents always have an open-door policy, and anyone we know who doesn't have someone to celebrate the holiday with finds their way to our house and around our table. We absolutely do not eat turkey. That'd be far too American of us! We enjoy salad, manicotti (delicious pasta tubes stuffed with ricotta cheese), cream cheese stuffed mushrooms, and a crown roast of beef instead. Then I help my parents clean up before scurrying off to play the new video games we've been gifted (it never fails that someone gets some kind of video game for Christmas). When my Oma was alive, I'd go for a walk in the evening to look at Christmas lights, but now I try to go with my mom. Later, we all gather around the table for black Italian coffee and espresso, cracking nuts, eating chocolates, telling stories, and laughing. I've usually baked my famous cheesecake and bask in the glow of everyone chowing down and letting me know how amazingly good it is and could they have the recipe please? We clean up again and then, we usually all watch a holiday movie together and just like that, Christmas is over.

Winter, to me, is a season of magic. It's a time when people are kinder and the air is chiller. It's a season for giving (I usually donate to charity and try to give a toy to a toy drive at this time of year) and being around the people you love. No other time of year feels like it, and it's my favorite!
Back to top Go down
Jess-chan
Lotus Crystal

Jess-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Offical Team Rocket member

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime6th December 2016, 4:57 pm

I work in retail so I experience the holiday shopping madness firsthand! I've done it for so long that it seems to go faster every year lol. I usually celebrate Christmas day with my mother (it'll be the 4th one without my father). We cook and then watch Christmas stuff on TV. We'll probably put the tree up tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
http://angelicsakura.tumblr.com/ http://hoshisama.deviantart.com
Meganekko
Lotus Crystal

Meganekko

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Girl with Glasses

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime6th December 2016, 5:13 pm

My family and I celebrate Christmas. My husband and I, married 5 years, are still trying to sort out our family traditions, especially now that we've a son. This year, we're starting our "25 Days of Favorite Christmas Films". We didn't start on time (2 days late), but we've watched Lethal Weapon, Scrooged, Elf, and the Thin Man so far.
Back to top Go down
Professor Tomoe
Inner Senshi Admin
Activities Director

Professor Tomoe

Inner Senshi Admin Activities Director

Title : Formerly Aurae; The Galaxy Cauldron Forums' Official Professor Tomoe

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime7th December 2016, 6:09 am

It's so much fun to read about everyone's favourite ways to celebrate! ♥

I love watching holiday movies this time of year! My husband and I started with Die Hard. X3
Back to top Go down
http://www.pinkmilktea.com http://lovemilktea.tumblr.com http://auraechan.deviantart.com
Meganekko
Lotus Crystal

Meganekko

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Girl with Glasses

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime7th December 2016, 6:27 am

@Sailor Mercury that's going to be our Christmas Day movie. XD “It is the ultimate Christmas movie,” according to my husband, lol. Me, I'm content to watch those old Rankin/Bass stop-motion puppet movies, lol.
Back to top Go down
Eidolune

Eidolune

Title : GC's Official Princess Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime7th December 2016, 9:07 am

My family watches the Charlie Brown Christmas special! There's also a town about an hour south of us that has a beautiful Christmas festival, and we try to make that every year.
Back to top Go down
http://tallladyserenity.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9xMFgmhp4C7iHaQdoWs4Ig
GreenPea501
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime7th December 2016, 4:00 pm

we really dont have any traditions other then maybe buying my grandmother a nativity scene something every year
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime7th December 2016, 4:35 pm

My husband and I make our own stockings each year. But, unfortunately, this year we are not, because we are starting the home buying process. My husband is startingly optimistic that we would have to pack the apartment and move before Christmas, so there's no point in putting up decorations. I haven't the heart to say otherwise, lol.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime13th December 2016, 10:21 pm

My family doesn't have traditions? the only thing that could be is that since i'm from DR we celebrate Noche Buena, which is basically Christmas Eve, which is basically what most Americans would do on the 25th minus the presents (is not traditional to exchange gifts) so every year I made my mom cook a rice that I love (posted the recipe here) and I MUST have it every year, even if she cook anoher rice I MUST HAVE IT!... and I will try to do the same this 24th and made a tradition for me and my husband (at least one of them).

Something that is kind of my thing is watch Home Alone 3 repeatedly ...yes, that's the one that I like the most.
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Celest
Lotus Crystal

Celest

Lotus Crystal

Title : official sailor kakyuu lover ☆

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime14th December 2016, 10:41 am

To update everybody - my boyfriend and I are starting the final Harry Potter movie tonight! We've watched the previous 7, one every night before bed LOL
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Jess-chan
Lotus Crystal

Jess-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Offical Team Rocket member

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime15th December 2016, 2:10 pm

Celest wrote:
To update everybody - my boyfriend and I are starting the final Harry Potter movie tonight! We've watched the previous 7, one every night before bed LOL
Spoiler:

Now that is one cool tradition! Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members 3150097195
Back to top Go down
http://angelicsakura.tumblr.com/ http://hoshisama.deviantart.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members   Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter Traditions and Holidays of GC's Members

View previous topic View next topic Back to top