The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Holiday Traditions!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Holiday Traditions!  Empty
PostSubject: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 2:30 pm

As the holidays come ever closer, we find ourselves breaking out our decorations, throwing up things from long ago and becoming kids again if for just a short while. So In the sprit of the season it seemed like a good idea to give us a place to share our traditions. 

In my family we used to put up a tree and burn a yule log. but in recent years we've stopped mostly cause we don't have the room or a safe way to burn anything. We give Grinch gifts. Usually socks and underthings but still it was a nice holiday tradition that we still carry on cause really who doesn't need new socks once a year? We would also open one gift on christmas eve, or all of them depending on well which parent's holiday it was. when we lived in KS, we would travel around to the different family members homes and celebrate a little there. Usually that included a birthday party too, my uncle was born on christmas day. 

So what about you? Do you and yours do anything special this time of year? Please share! 

This thread is for everyone to share their traditions no matter what you believe! Come share your traditions today!
Back to top Go down
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 2:36 pm

I have a pretty big family (both my mom and dad have step moms and step dads), so we go to a lot of places. On Christmas Eve, we go to my dad's mom's side of the family, where all of the kids (including me, yay!) get to open presents they got from the family. Then my great-grandparents get to open their huge entourage of gifts they get every year xD. After that, my parents take me and my siblings to my mom's mom's side of the family, where we celebrate Christmas for the rest of the night. We go home, and set out cookies and milk, then go to bed.

Every Christmas Eve, my mom gives us a new pair of pajamas to sleep in. Also, my sister always sleeps with me, and my mom makes this delicious french toast casserole on Christmas morning <3

On Christmas morning, after eating breakfast, we open presents at my house. Then my dad's mom and step-dad come over and we exchange gifts with them. Then we go to my mom's dad's house to celebrate Christmas with that side of the family, and we head home after that. Then the week after Christmas we celebrate it with my dad's step-mom, and that's the end of our traditions Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 2:59 pm

My fiancé and I are starting holiday traditions of our own, because our families no longer follow many traditions. Well, his mom's family does open presents at midnight. My family doesn't have any, lol. 

My fiancé and I make our own stockings each year and we typically open one gift each a few days before. This year we won't, because our gift to each other is a PS4. We also won't put up Christmas decorations until Thanksgiving day.
Back to top Go down
mysteryloveandjustice
Lotus Crystal

mysteryloveandjustice

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter <3

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 3:14 pm

In my house we do the "open 1 present on Christmas Eve night" thing xD And back when I was living with my dad and brother we would go to Christmas Eve church service so that we could sleep in and cook breakfast Christmas Day before tearing into presents ^^ 

It's not really a tradition per se but one thing me and my family always HAVE to have around this time of the year are those stupid Pillsbury sugar cookies with the trees on them. You know the one ones that you just put on a baking sheet and pop in the oven? Yeah we're kinda obsessed with those because even thought they're so little and not homemade sugar cookies they're REALLY GOOD and were all kinda addicted xD
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 6:23 pm

On Christmas Eve we celebrate Christmas with my grandmother. She's German and in Germany it's a tradition to celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve. We also go to mass on Christmas Eve. Lately we haven't been keeping up with that tradition. Some years we don't go to mass. 

Then on Christmas Day we make a big breakfast and open gifts. Then spend the rest of the day in our PJs. I like to watch the Christmas Story over and over. Wink 

Around New Years I go see my dad and have Christmas with him. 

We put up our decorations in December.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

Senior Member  Saturn Emeritus

Title : (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。magical weirdo, Original Saturn

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 6:46 pm

When I was little, my mom used to tell me that at midnight on Christmas Eve going into Christmas that animals could talk. They wouldn't talk if people were around, so everyone in the house had to sleep so the animals in our house could talk.
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
whitehexe
Pyramidal Crystal

whitehexe

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 6:59 pm

We don't really have any traditions for the holidays. My family (I don't live with them) just do a simple gift exchange and dinner. I usually visit them in the new year, and we do a 2nd gift exchange then.

As for me personally, I'm Pagan so I celebrate Yule not christmas. I celebrate with my circle, with a ritual, dinner, and gifting. I usually work on christmas, but starbucks does it so its only those who want to work, and we get to dress up, sing songs while we work and have loooots of fun!!!
Back to top Go down
https://travelinggeta.blogspot.com/ http://whitehexe.tumblr.com/
mysteryloveandjustice
Lotus Crystal

mysteryloveandjustice

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter <3

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 9:11 pm

Sailor Saturn wrote:
When I was little, my mom used to tell me that at midnight on Christmas Eve going into Christmas that animals could talk. They wouldn't talk if people were around, so everyone in the house had to sleep so the animals in our house could talk.

Saturn that's adorable! I love that  Holiday Traditions!  1955989781
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime14th December 2014, 9:15 pm

I am reminded of the candy making and baking my Mom and I used to do every year. When I visit her at christmas time we still do. It's great fun and i love it cause my niece will start making and baking with us soon. So it'll be 3 generations of women cooking. good thing mom has a big kitchen!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime15th December 2014, 5:35 am

We decorate the Christmas Tree (we use fir) about a week before Christmas. It usually is in the living room or hallway, but once it was placed in my room. Also we clean the whole house before Christmas.
There are always twelve dishes on the table on Christmas Eve. However there shouldn't be any meat. Before starting to eat these dishes we eat a wafer. Then we start to eat and watch a Christmas movie or a concert. We wait until it's 12PM and start giving gifts to each other!
On Christmas day we eat leftovers for breakfast. Then we go to church. For dinner my mom bakes a lemon cake which she bakes only by special occasions and my grandmother cooks meat because we're thirsty for meat after the Christmas Eve! Then we watch movies and concerts again.
Back to top Go down
Tiny Kitten
Diana Emeritus

Tiny Kitten

Diana Emeritus

Title : I live between the lands of Fantasy and Delusion. Seren's wifey <333

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime15th December 2014, 5:51 am

When my sister and I lived with our parents, I would set up our fake tree and get it all set up. Then we would decorate it as a family! My parents would sit on the couch and hand us the ornaments and my sister and I would place them on the tree! We would have Holiday songs playing in the background as well! Then on Christmas Eve, we were allowed to open one present. On Christmas day, we'd open presents! After everything was open and put away, we'd help my mom cook Christmas dinner! Generally it was ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing, corn, rolls, and a lot of other things I can't think of at this moment xD

Now that I live with my boyfriend, last year we opened our presents on Christmas day, but we were really really sick, so nothing else really happened xD This year! We live in a really small extended stay hotel so there's not many places to hide presents. So we just kind of went to stores and bought each other stuff that we wanted xD I'm planning to cook a ham and stuffing dinner on Christmas day as well ^^
Back to top Go down
http://kayariah.tumblr.com/ http://kayariahanime.tumblr.com/
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Luna.

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime18th December 2014, 5:19 pm

On Christmas eve we all go to church and have our Christmas Eve service and since the past couple years, right after that we've decided to open presents. I'm not really sure if that'll stay the same every year or if we'll just open presents in the morning after we eat breakfast on Christmas day.

We then go to my Uncle's house, where pretty much everyone on my dad's side of the family gets together. We all bring food and exchange cookies. I started making the Christmas cookies for my family to exchange when I started college. We have food, talk about how we are all doing, open presents, and have a good time. Then every year it's become a tradition that my immediate family goes to see a movie Christmas night! I'm pretty sure we are going to see Into the Woods this year and I'm really excited!!
Back to top Go down
http://meganalburger.weebly.com
SayakaSakura
Pyramidal Crystal

SayakaSakura

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Puella Magi|Alicorn Princess (also Demande's official fangirl <3)

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime18th December 2014, 5:31 pm

I have to usually go see my 1 Million relatives. It isn't really fun because i haven't seen these people in about a year and they don't know me that well. It goes like this:

Random Relative: Hello! How are you doing?

Me: Oh, i'm fine

RR: That's good
(silence for the next minute)

Me: 'K, i need to go say hi to other people

And also i have two baby cousins who love to climb all over me and chase me, so i have to lock my self in a room and read for the next 2-4 hours

I'd just prefer it if i could have Christmas with just me close family for once instead of having to see all these people. And usually some argument breaks out at these things.
Back to top Go down
http://caramelstarstriker.tumblr.com/ http://sailorcerise.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_llIfTH6pgwTxd68vKRzPw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
PyreRosie
Star Seed

PyreRosie

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime18th December 2014, 6:47 pm

We don't do many traditions at my house because there's only 3 people celebrating: Me, my mom, and my grandma. We just put up a Christmas tree and eat ham on Christmas Eve. And if we get presents we open them Christmas day.
Back to top Go down
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime24th December 2014, 8:20 pm

Honestly, I can't say I have a tradition anymore. Forver (when my moms mom was still alive) we had dinner on Christmas Eve and opened gifts after everything was cleaned up- which was hard as a kid because you want to open the gifts, but when my grandma passed in 07, we started opening gifts on Christmas morning, but i wake up early with that anticipation I didnt get as a kid- and wait for my parents to wake up, and then we eat breakfast and finally like by noon maybe we open gifts- I have been wanting to watch Its A Wonderful Life the past few years, but no one wants to watch it with me, so I guess that will be a tradition I start with my future someone. Then the rest of the day is like any other, well we do have Christmas dinner though its no where near as a big deal as it used to be, my dad hates eating at the table so we sit w/ tv trays and watch the military channel.......

yea i want to start my own tradtions when I get married.
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Holiday Traditions!    Holiday Traditions!  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Holiday Traditions!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top