The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Blake
Pyramidal Crystal

Blake

Pyramidal Crystal

[Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" Empty
PostSubject: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime5th August 2013, 4:23 pm

I was searching through this part of the forum, and I found out there's no topic for this, so.. here it is!
We all know that Ginzuishou means Silver Crystal, but what do you think "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" means?
Is it "Illusionary Silver Crystal", is it "Phantom Silver Crystal", is it "Legendary Silver Crystal" or "Imperium Silver Crystal"? And why?

I personally think it should be "Legendary Silver Crystal" and to explain it, I'm gonna analyze the rest of the translations.

Illusionary: So, "Maboroshi" is supposed to automatically translate to "Illusionary". But why should the Silver Crystal be illusionary? Is it not real? Does it have the power to create illusions? In most of the versions of Sailor Moon, the Silver Crystal is a real thing. I know it comes from within Usagi's body, but still, people can touch it, therefore it's real. Only in PGSM the Crystal is never stated to be either way, and the only times we see it is when Usagi cries it out and awakens as Serenity, and also when Princess Sailor Moon uses the Harp to play her song or heal Mercury's wound (it's supposed to be attached to it, like it was attached to the Moon Stick in the manga and anime). So my guess is that, for the manga and anime (and maybe the myu, I haven't got the opportunity to calmly watch it) this translation wouldn't be accurate, but it would be for the live action.

Phantom: This translation isn't actually in any of the Sailor Moon versions, except for the Latin Spanish dub, in which, whichever scene of episode 34 the Silver Crystal is mentioned, it would be called "Fantasma Cristal Plateado" which is basically "Phantom Silver Crystal". However, I've read that some fans like to call it that. But why? Is the crystal the essence of a ghost? Does Usagi turn into one while using it? Just what is the relation of the Silver Crystal with the word "phantom"? I personally don't understand it, and since the crystal does not seem to posess ghost-like powers, nor does it grant them to it's user, I disregard this translation.

Imperium: This is one of the names that the English dub calls the Silver Crystal. It's weird, I don't like it, but I kind of understand why would they call it that. The Silver Crystal is owned in the past by a Queen, the ruler of a Kingdom, and that can be related to the word Imperium for some reasons:

1. Imperium and Empire are similar words to a native Spanish speaker like me, since they both seem to mean "Imperio", which is similar to Kingdom, hence the relation to the Moon Kingdom-
  2. Imperium is a Latin word that means government, which was Queen Serenity and Neo Queen Serenity's thing, and both of them were the owners of the Silver Crystal at one point.

However, none of this reasons seems truly valid to me, so I don't think it's accurate.

Legendary: Oh yes, legendary. It just seems like the perfect translation to me. Why? The Silver Crystal is considered the most powerful Sailor Crystal in the whole universe, and we've repeatedly seen how it causes miracles. What am I talking about? Well, QS used it to send all of the people who died after the battle to be reborn; Usagi used it's full power, yet while she was dying she was able to revive herself, her friends and Mamoru, with a bonus of amnesia so she wouldn't have to fight ever again; In the S season, the Holy Grial was destroyed, but Sailor Moon, with the help of her friends and Sailor Uranus and Neptune, was able to transform into Super Sailor Moon and defeat Pharaoh 90 with her pure heart, which I assume is directly related to the Silver Crystal; also she saved the entire freaking universe in both the Sailor Stars season and the Stars arc of the manga. Pretty amazing, huh? That's why I think that "Legendary Silver Crystal" is worthy of being the translation of "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou".

Ok, now that I've exposed my case, how about you guys express your opinions on this topic?
Back to top Go down
http://underworldrevolution.tumblr.com
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime5th August 2013, 5:59 pm

((random thoughts: Maybe Illusionary could be changed to Illustrious? 
: notably or brilliantly outstanding because of dignity or achievements or actions : eminent
archaic

a : shining brightly with light

b : clearly evident
— il·lus·tri·ous·ly adverb
— il·lus·tri·ous·ness noun

That would tie Illusionary and Legendary and still make it sound awesome XD

Last edited by Sailor Uranus on 5th August 2013, 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime5th August 2013, 6:09 pm

Blake97 wrote:

Illusionary: So, "Maboroshi" is supposed to automatically translate to "Illusionary". But why should the Silver Crystal be illusionary? Is it not real? Does it have the power to create illusions? In most of the versions of Sailor Moon, the Silver Crystal is a real thing. I know it comes from within Usagi's body, but still, people can touch it, therefore it's real. Only in PGSM the Crystal is never stated to be either way, and the only times we see it is when Usagi cries it out and awakens as Serenity, and also when Princess Sailor Moon uses the Harp to play her song or heal Mercury's wound (it's supposed to be attached to it, like it was attached to the Moon Stick in the manga and anime). So my guess is that, for the manga and anime (and maybe the myu, I haven't got the opportunity to calmly watch it) this translation wouldn't be accurate, but it would be for the live action.

Considering that in the beginning they were looking for it and were unable to find it "Illusionary" does seem to fit. In the beginning of all versions, they don't know what or where the crystal is. Perhaps the name stuck even after finding it.

Quote :
Imperium: This is one of the names that the English dub calls the Silver Crystal. It's weird, I don't like it, but I kind of understand why would they call it that. The Silver Crystal is owned in the past by a Queen, the ruler of a Kingdom, and that can be related to the word Imperium for some reasons:

1. Imperium and Empire are similar words to a native Spanish speaker like me, since they both seem to mean "Imperio", which is similar to Kingdom, hence the relation to the Moon Kingdom-
  2. Imperium is a Latin word that means government, which was Queen Serenity and Neo Queen Serenity's thing, and both of them were the owners of the Silver Crystal at one point.

However, none of this reasons seems truly valid to me, so I don't think it's accurate.

There are some spellings I've seen where it's "Empyrean" or something like that... I don't think they were even bothering to translate maboroshi, just give it a name that fit their adaptation of the SM anime at the time.

Quote :
Legendary: Oh yes, legendary. It just seems like the perfect translation to me. Why? The Silver Crystal is considered the most powerful Sailor Crystal in the whole universe, and we've repeatedly seen how it causes miracles. What am I talking about? Well, QS used it to send all of the people who died after the battle to be reborn; Usagi used it's full power, yet while she was dying she was able to revive herself, her friends and Mamoru, with a bonus of amnesia so she wouldn't have to fight ever again; In the S season, the Holy Grial was destroyed, but Sailor Moon, with the help of her friends and Sailor Uranus and Neptune, was able to transform into Super Sailor Moon and defeat Pharaoh 90 with her pure heart, which I assume is directly related to the Silver Crystal; also she saved the entire freaking universe in both the Sailor Stars season and the Stars arc of the manga. Pretty amazing, huh? That's why I think that "Legendary Silver Crystal" is worthy of being the translation of "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou".

I like legendary just cause I feel it fits with the series regardless if its the proper translation or not.

I am however fine with either Illusionary or Legendary.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime15th December 2013, 11:19 pm

I like the word 'Mythical' personally, because it implies that it might not exist for sure (hence tying to the 'Illusionary' bit) yet also has that awe-inspiring factor in 'legendary'.
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime16th December 2013, 5:34 pm

There is a really awesome post on tumblr that goes into detail about translating Maboroshi.  *digs for a bit*

AHA!

http://galaxycosmos.tumblr.com/post/62882808594/sailor-moon-and-japan-maboroshi

Quote :
Maboroshi appears in Sailor Moon in the phrase “maboroshi no ginzuishou” (幻の which is usually translated as “mystical silver crystal” though many variants exist. “Ginzuishou” is hard to translate as anything but “Silver Crystal” but “maboroshi” has a bit more licence.

Maboroshi on its own is a noun which means something along the lines of “illusion, phantom or dream”, but with the “no” it becomes a descriptive term. Within Sailor Moon, the understanding is basically that the Silver Crystal possesses “maboroshi” qualities. that is to say it is something so fantastic, rare and mysterious that its very existence has come into question. Like a fantasy. I think that is the clearest understanding of the word I can personally give for its use in the series. Understanding must ALWAYS come before translation, a competent translator is one whose understanding stage requires minimal time. The Silver Crystal, in other words is something unbelievable, however it is a physical object so it clearly exists, so it seems “maboroshi” is being used almost metaphorically and this opens a wide spectrum of possible translations. A good translation is one that will bring the understanding of the word into another language, a bad translation is one that will look at a dictionary with no understanding of how its being used.

Various translations may be from "Phantom Silver Crystal", personally I do not favour this, the word “phantom” has other connotations in English that are not there in the Japanese and can misrepresent the idea, but I would not regard it as incorrect. There is also an argument involving Phantom Crystals. Kodansha used “Legendary Silver Crystal” to much moaning and whining from some fans because “legendary” does not appear in the dictionary for “maboroshino”, this is unjustified. The English word “legendary” and the Japanese phrase “maboroshino” both fit the criteria of the idea in this context so there is nothing wrong with this translation. Legendary certainly implies something wonderfully strange and rarely seen. The most common I believe is "Mystical Silver Crystal"  which again I have little problem with. Personally I prefer "Illusionary Silver Crystal" since after all, the villains are constantly pursuing the Silver Crystal which seems to be ever-elusive, illusionary also matches the dreamlike fantasy nature of the Silver Crystal and has a grand sound to it as “maboroshino” does. Come to think about it "Phantasmic Silver Crystal" also has a nice ring to it.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime16th July 2015, 12:02 pm

I prefer Legendary myself. To call it illusionary of phantom makes it seem like it's a myth or something. Imperium... I've only heard that in there dub. Also, the subbed version I'm watching uses phantom Silver Crystal, so yeah. There's that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime16th July 2015, 12:05 pm

Well it's not the imperial silver crystal, that's for sure. As for literal translations, I'm fine with all of them except "Phantom". Phantom, to me, implies something dark idk.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Anyastasia
Pyramidal Crystal

Anyastasia

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : The Mahou Shoujo of the Moon (Formerly PrincessMami)

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime5th December 2015, 1:12 am

"Legendary Silver Crystal" works fine for me. The word "legendary" makes it sound elusive (which it is) and powerful.

"Illusionary Silver Crystal" - while this translation is nice, the crystal isn;t an illusion in anyway
Back to top Go down
Princess Sailor Mai
Pyramidal Crystal

Princess Sailor Mai

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Galaxy Cauldron's Official Princess Inspirit!
Location : In the middle of nowhere between part-time work and needing a full-time career

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime8th December 2015, 10:22 am

I feel like it would be Illusionary Silver Crystal.  But I'm not a native Japanese speaker, so I'm just guessing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"   [Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Debate] The best translation for "Maboroshi no Ginzuishou"

View previous topic View next topic Back to top