The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[SPOILER] Volume 8

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime30th October 2012, 5:16 pm

So I haven't gotten my volume yet (since I purchased it from amazon... >.>) but I thought we could already start to discuss about the eighth volume of Kodansha.

I saw Brad from mookitty.net ( https://twitter.com/moonkittynet ) tweeting about somebody who had gotten her volume and had found one, may I say, ridiculous mistranslation. Saturn's attack wasn't Death Reborn Revolution anymore, it was Death Ribbon Revolution.

This makes me wonder if the translator William has even paid attention to katakana, to Saturn being the bringer of destruction etc. and how a professional translator can make such a mistake. Let me explain this a little bit:

Saturn's attack reads デス・リボーン・レボリューション (desu・riboon・reboryuushon) in Japanese and Death Reborn Revolution in English. The word 'ribbon' in English is written the same way as 'reborn' in Japanese kana which express the pronunciation of the words. I wonder how a professional translator cannot figure out that the word which should be used here is 'reborn' not 'ribbon' and decides to use ribbon even though even an amateur can hear the word is wrong, having even little knowing about Sailor Moon.

This has also happened multiple times in earlier volumes with different words and attack phrases.

Any thoughts? Also general discussion is encouraged ^^ so let’s discuss about the eighth volume
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime30th October 2012, 8:37 pm

Actually if we're perfectly fair. Japan itself has mixed it up, using Ribbon and Reborn in media such as video games. The mistake by the translation is that "ribon" tends to be be ribbon and "riboon" tends to be reborn. As its "riboon" here, reborn is the better to go with, I honestly think people are nitpicking over stuff because they want to hate the new manga (though I haven't read most of it so I don't have much of an opinion). Reborn is probably the correct one, but in a show with attacks like "Starlight Honeymoon Therapy Kiss", I guess the translator didn't bother to think it was odd. Doesn't this attack come with ribbons anyway? Also in English itself, "Death Ribbon" makes more grammatical sense than "Death Reborn", thats probably what he thought.

In fact I'm pretty sure "Death Ribbon Revolution" is a separate attack to "Death Ribbon Revolution" on some video games.

I honestly think its not a big deal XD

What about Space Sword Blaster / Bluster, they share katakana, Bluster makes more sense with the wind element, and everyone goes with Blaster because thats's what they've seen more often or Tellu/Tellur, Naoko wrote in English Tellu, but that romanisation doesn't make very much sense. People just become used to what they are familiar with and that's why they like to complain over stuff like this.

Personally I think Reborn is more accurate, you are right. But then again *Shrugs* i know its reborn, but its not going to put a major impact on the storytelling at least. There's a difference between "wrong" and "different". I have since ribbon and reborn written both as "ribon" and "riboon" in other non-Sailor Moon places.

EDITED:

Just checked, the associated kanji to Death Reborn Revolution on the manga page in question is "死世界変革" (literally death world reform) which makes more sense with "reborn" than "ribbon" which makes me less easy with ribbon though its not blatant =\ I suppose he just assumed it was ribbon because of all the ribbons on the page.

~~~~~~~~

In summary:

I like "reborn" better. But that doesn't make ribbon wrong, just... not as right as it could be? Naoko herself might have intended a double-meaning here, remember she is NOT thinking in English as she writes this, maybe she though "ribon? riboon!" and meant to imply both

~~~~~~~~~~

MORE EDITS:

Also while we add it, the fandom's hissyfit at "Spark Ring Wide Pressure" over Sparkling Wide Pressure was unjustified, where he put spark ring wide pressure, the phrase featured NO nakapochi as some people claimed it did and due to the space it is split into "supaaku ringu waido pureshaaa", completely understandable to take this as four words over three! Later when it appears again, it was changed to sparkling because it was no longer unclear if it is one word or two.

Last edited by Houyou no Senshi on 31st October 2012, 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime30th October 2012, 9:08 pm

ah this same thing have happen with the mews' attacks from Tokyo Mew Mew. However it was done purpose I believe? I know their names and attack names being related to food was supposed be for puns. So having the ribbon mixed up probably was for laughs and giggles.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime1st November 2012, 12:01 pm

The attack is more or less a pun by Takeuchi-sensei I guess. because it really DO involve ribbons.
[SPOILER] Volume 8 Deathrebornrevolution
I still think the best romanization for it is "Reborn" (eheh, I see what you're talking about Yami)
[SPOILER] Volume 8 Death_10
And even in the video game "Another Story" where it is REBORN , Saturn is attacking her ennemies with RIBBONS.
Back to top Go down
Augusta Nekochan
Lotus Crystal

Augusta Nekochan

Lotus Crystal

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime24th November 2012, 9:53 am

This volume disappointed me though in some aspects. I of course loved it because this is my first time owning the Infinity arc of the manga, since young adolescent me was unable to collect the whole series on it's first US printing. However, what happened to the translation notes that they had been putting in the early volumes? Perhaps if they had included this fans would not be upset about "Death Ribbon Revolution". Also, because of the lack of translation notes, this volume was noticeably thinner than it's predecessors, which was something I noticed and was disappointed in the moment I had it in my hands.

I'm just hoping the final volumes are of a little higher quality.
Back to top Go down
http://chocolate-maiden.tumblr.com/ http://augustanekochan.deviantart.com/
Crystal
Pyramidal Crystal

Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime24th November 2012, 7:10 pm

are you still at volume 8 in america? i finished the series. 12 main volumes + 2 short stories. i still need saillor v (release december & january) but the main series is finished ^^
Back to top Go down
http://goldenwitchmami.tumblr.com/
Augusta Nekochan
Lotus Crystal

Augusta Nekochan

Lotus Crystal

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime24th November 2012, 7:29 pm

Yeah, we're still at Volume 8. But Sailor V came out with the first 2 volumes.
Back to top Go down
http://chocolate-maiden.tumblr.com/ http://augustanekochan.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

[SPOILER] Volume 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILER] Volume 8   [SPOILER] Volume 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[SPOILER] Volume 8

View previous topic View next topic Back to top