The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Which Musical To Watch First

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

Which Musical To Watch First Empty
PostSubject: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 2:29 am

So I've been trying to talk [that means being pushy to the extent where I'm almost yelling at you to do it] people into seeing some of the myus at the moment. =3 and the biggest question seems to be "what one do i want to see first". And I'm here to make some suggestions [yay]

Also: Sailor Mercury and Sailor Pluto fans. Myu is for you. More than half of the musicals give a strong focus to either Mercury or Pluto in sideplots, of course the main character is always Sailor Moon though.

RECOMMENDED:

SuperS - Yume Senshi - Ai - Eien ni...
SuperS (Kaiteiban) - Yume Senshi - Ai - Eien ni... Saturn Fukkatsu Hen!
Sailor Stars
Eien Densetsu (Kaiteiban) - The Final First Stage
Kaguya Shima Densetsu
Mugen Gakuen ~ Mistress Labyrinth

FOR THOSE WHO ARE UNCOMFORTABLE WITH THE MYU IDEA TO BEGIN WITH:
PROBABLY BEST TO STAY CLEAR OF THESE:

Gaiden - Dark Kingdom Fukkatsu Hen
Usagi - Ai no Senshi e no Michi
Sailor Stars (Kaiteiban)
Shin / Henshin - Super Senshi e no Michi - Last Dracul Jyokyoku
Kessen / Transylvania no Mori - Shin Toujou! Chibimoon wo Mamoru Senshitachi
Kessen / Transylvania no Mori - Saikyou no Kataki Dark Cain no Nazo
Chou Wakusei Death Vulcan no Fuuin

~~~ Comments ~~~

Understandably SeraMyu is not everyone's things. Though I don't buy this "cheesiness" argument. o.o Did you see the anime. This is a show where monsters made from doorknobs and roses are destroyed with giant pink hearts. Though a large portion of people who would enjoy it but can't is due to a few shallow problems, the costumes and special effects. Yes they're flashy, sparkly and everywhere. But I assure you after you've seen one or two, you barely notice them. As for the special effects, is it that hard to use some imagination and some of them are quite clever, such as how Dream Mirrors were dealt with in the SuperS Musicals.

But I think everyone should give it a chance and not just snub it off. I mean, I doubt you guys like it when people snub the anime or manga on first sight ;3 Myu was an undoubtedly super popular series in Japan. It was running alongside the anime since Sailor Moon R's first airing in Japan, and continued after the anime finished. It also ran right through PGSM and the manga's re-release in Japan until its end in 2005 with the Marinamoon Final. 12 Years! Surely, somethings going right if it lasted that long.

I would also consider myu the "fixed" version of the other series, it picks up the parts where they break down... the manga's problem, I had to say, for me at least, is characterization of villains. Naoko just didn't seem to give time to it, though I guess she DIDN'T have the time to give it to them which is a real shame. The anime does this better, but for some of the main villains. Beryl, Galaxia, Tomoe, Kaolinite, Zirconia. It feels like "personality? no, I'm just generic EVIL!". The anime on the other hand has a problem with giving some of its main characters little to no personality [Michiru. Setsuna. Looking at you two]. Its sometimes to the point where one single line spoken by Michiru accounts for her entire personality. PGSM does better in both of these ways, but it struggles to balance Usagi's romance with Mamoru and Usagi's friendship with her friends. Sometimes it just feels like "either/or". The musicals for the most part solve most of these issues, demonstrating the personalities of their main villains through song and acting while they have generic underlings to fill up the stage, rather than the other way around that the anime likes it. Most musicals follow a steady change from fun happy times into the serious mode, and its usually so gradual you don't notice and of course the main characters get their own songs and now interact with eachother alot more frequently.

Anyhoo~

First off, the reason why I'm pushing for the SuperS Musicals is because they're such a solid example of the musicals. The plot has uniqueness while still holding onto the essence of both the anime and manga series. It has tension and fun, and also catchy songs and Rei Saitou. I don't recommend the first two recorded musicals (Dark Kingdom and Usagi Ai no Senshi) simply because many people freak out at the cheesiness, SuperS calms down a little bit. I also recommend the original Sailor Stars, because people seem to love Stars but the not revision because although I believe personally that its better, there's some things in it that will make people go O.o. I also don't recommend the original Eien Densetsu musical, though its a good musical, I think some people will find the pacing too slow and it a little awkward in places. The revision, Final First Stage, flows alot smoother and its just hilarious XD. Kaguya Shima Densetsu is recommended for people who want to see something completely new, a brand new set of villains in a brand new storyline. I do not however, recommend the Dracul Series for people uncomfortable with the idea, though you might get away with Last Dracul, Transylvania no Mori and Chou Wakusei will do your heads in if you don't like the idea of myu to begin with. If you blink for a second in any of the three musicals, you pretty much will be lost for the rest of the series. However, if you're interesting in the musicals series and can get over some of the shallow problems, then of course, absolutely any single one of the musicals will be a great one to start! So There you have it. Watch the musicals everyone! I definitely recommend "SuperS Kaiteiban" and "Eien Densetsu Kaiteiban" the best for beginners who are wary!

Testaments, agreements, questions, please post them all below!

~Small Lady edit: I'm adding in the links to watch so its all in one convenient thread for newbies!

Sailor Neptune wrote:
Direct Sera Myu Download and Youtube Links

Some of these links are for Youtube videos while some are direct downloads and uploaded videos. If someone prefers downloads more than Youtube videos I can search for direct download links for those.

First Stage:

Second Stage:

Third Stage:

Last edited by Miki on 24th April 2012, 2:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 2:42 am

Double posting for some videos that give good examples of what to expect:

Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 7:09 am

Don't watch the very first one for the first time. It's really cheesy and might turn you off. That happen to me, but now I'm interested again thanks to Miki. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 4:26 pm

more like interested due to Yuuta Mochizuki in your case yami X3
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 4:49 pm

Very Happy Ah Miki you know me so well. lol
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 4:49 pm

Don't worry, he's also in every single Anzamoon musical as Mamoru (and once Kunzite) and in every single Fuminamoon musical as King Endymion
Back to top Go down
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

Senior Member  Saturn Emeritus

Title : (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。magical weirdo, Original Saturn

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:07 pm

I listened to one of these videos, now I want to bounce around and dance.
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:11 pm

Soon. Saturn. We will build you into a myuobsesser

Last edited by Miki on 21st April 2012, 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:19 pm

Who is the girl in the red senshi outfit in the first video?
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:23 pm

Click if you actually want to know. Hidden because massive spoilers for the 2000 Summer and 2001 Winter musicals.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:33 pm

Shocked
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:35 pm

Wasnt that great music Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:39 pm

It makes me want to super glue more legs onto my body so I can dance more.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 5:39 pm

Legs everywhere!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 8:19 pm

I so completely agree with Miki! I was never put off by the Myus to begin with, I just never knew too much about them. I decided to watch a random one one day and found it quite entertaining, some of the songs catchy and I enjoyed the plot (I watched Stars Ryuusei Densetsu first I believe). I watched a couple more then completely forgot about Myu for a while...

I have to say, after watching SuperS - Yume Senshi - Ai - Eien ni... and
SuperS (Kaiteiban) - Yume Senshi - Ai - Eien ni... Saturn Fukkatsu Hen!, I've become rather hooked! I love the music, the dancing, the stories...they're great! I've watched the first recorded musical too, and you know, it honestly wasn't THAT horrible. I mean, if you can stand some of the cheesyness of PGSM (imo, i think PGSM at times is cheesier than Myu just considering that since Myu is a musical, there is suposed to be a bit over the topness. The costumes are flashy for a reason. Why do you think the girls on dance teams and such that perform in from of big audiences wear lots of make up and have flashy outfits? Same reason the Myu outfits are flashy. ANYWAY...) then you can definitely stand Myu, if not like it more. :3
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 8:21 pm

I think the largest turn off of SeraMyu's first musical is actually Tinsel Beryl. Despite the fact that because of Yuri Nishina, Seramyu was pretty much assured an audience XD and there's also their 90s outfits which make them look a little bit like the cast of of Wizard of Oz. The first musical isn't bad, it just shocks some people who aren't prepared. That's also a reason why I would be cautious for anime-lovers to see Fuminamoon. I've heard a lot of complaints that Fumina is nothing like the anime Usagi... ignoring the fact that Fumina was using the manga as a reference not the anime like Anza. But there's alot who expect the anime from seramyu which is another issue some have. Think of SeraMyu is an entire new version of Sailor Moon and not a spinoff to the others. [even if it began as the anime's spinoff]
Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : GC's Official Loof Merrow

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime24th April 2012, 7:09 pm

Quote :
Understandably SeraMyu is not everyone's things. Though I don't buy this "cheesiness" argument. o.o Did you see the anime. This is a show where monsters made from doorknobs and roses are destroyed with giant pink hearts.

This! ^ This just made me fall off my chair laughing! Touche Miki. ~-^ LMAO Razz It needs to be made into a siggy or something. LOL

I had a friend on a former site called Gaia Online that introduced me to Myu a bit with small clips and snippets. I did like some of it so I'd definitely be willing to watch more. It's a bit confusing to figure out where to start or find complete subbed arcs starting from beginning to end. I'm going to go check out the videos in this thread.

Oddly enough I'm a big Mercury fan but I can't bring myself to like " Drive me the Mercury" for some reason. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.lioddities.com
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime24th April 2012, 7:13 pm

Probably because Myu-Mercury is a little different than her other parts. Though she's a Miss Smartypants she's also spunky and sassy X3

Nonetheless Mercury has ALOT of other solos, in fact so many its sort of unfair to other characters. Mercury and Pluto are the most featured characters and Usagi in myu :3 in fact Ami is strongly featured in 9 musicals. Perhaps you'll like "Dream Yume wa Ookiku" and "Itsuwari no Forevermore" better.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime24th April 2012, 10:29 pm

This is random but I've been wondering about it all day...how *did* the musical deal with dream mirrors? Like how did they use that/make it happen? XD

(sorry if that was off topic XD)
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime24th April 2012, 11:57 pm

it actually looks better when they pop their heads through the "dream mirror"

Which Musical To Watch First Dreamm11

but its pretty clever, it really does looking theyre looking into something X3
Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime25th April 2012, 7:20 am

Miki wrote:
Probably because Myu-Mercury is a little different than her other parts. Though she's a Miss Smartypants she's also spunky and sassy X3

Nonetheless Mercury has ALOT of other solos, in fact so many its sort of unfair to other characters. Mercury and Pluto are the most featured characters and Usagi in myu :3 in fact Ami is strongly featured in 9 musicals. Perhaps you'll like "Dream Yume wa Ookiku" and "Itsuwari no Forevermore" better.

Oh I'll have to check those out. I have a feeling Myu might become a new addiction. ^-^ Pluto has this really beautiful and haunting song that I've been trying to find subbed so I know what she's saying.

Oh wait, actually the song is up in one of the top videos in this thread actually. ^^ I think I definitely like the solos and slower songs more than the large group dances and happy songs but there is some really beautiful music here. Smile
Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime25th April 2012, 8:49 pm

So I'm watching Ryuusei Densetsu from the beginning for the first time and I really lik it! ^-^ I'm totally riveted. Can't take my eyes away from the screen. Very Happy

I have to say the Shitennou make up pretty funny false names. Razz And I've alwas loved that sweet song Mamoru sings. Though I didn't realize before who was singing. Embarassed

Zoisite is such a character! And he seems to have a huge crush on Ami? ^-^ I've always been a fan of an AMi & Zoi pair but never thought there was any support for it.

Sorry...totally rambling. ^^ It's like 1 AM here and I'm having a fangirl moment. Very Happy

Thanks Miki for getting me back into Myu! ^^

Last edited by PoetofMercury on 25th April 2012, 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime25th April 2012, 8:59 pm

According to myu-continuity. Zoisite is no longer a homosexual and is in no relationship with Kunzite. In his first appearance Zoisite actually says "in a former life he was in love with Kunzite" but after his ressurection he is not. I actually really like this idea that because both Zoisite and Kunzite are "impure souls" [... I mean they are villains, nothing to do with their sexuality of course XD] their relationship couldn't sustain throughout more than one life unlike the pure "miracle romance" of Mamoru and Usagi.

Something to think about it? or is it just looking too hard into things?

I think myu has a good balance of types of music, so its pretty much impossible to say "i dont like seramyu's music" when it has so much variation unlike the "generic pop" of PGSM and most of the anime. Generic pop songs seem to be limited to two a musical XD
Back to top Go down
PoetofMercury
Pyramidal Crystal

PoetofMercury

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime25th April 2012, 9:04 pm

No that makes a lot of sense actually. I mean Usagi falls for Seiya temporarily (in the anime at least. I'm not quite far enough in Myu to know for sure yet). BUt it doesn't last. Perhaps in both cases they were looking for something to fill the gap they felt?

And I have to agree about the music. Though I actually like C'est La Vie from PGSM. I have the MP3 in my music collection. ^-^
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime25th April 2012, 9:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with generic pop. Its just nice to mix things up.

Also: Starlights ~ Ryuusei Densetsu and Kakyuuouhi Kourin are good but to be perfectly honest they are nothing on the original "Eien Densetsu" and especially not on "Eien Densetsu (Kaiteiban)" <3

If you like these two. You will love them.
Back to top Go down
LonelyDistance
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime26th April 2012, 12:27 pm

Miki wrote:
Also: Starlights ~ Ryuusei Densetsu and Kakyuuouhi Kourin are good but to be perfectly honest they are nothing on the original "Eien Densetsu" and especially not on "Eien Densetsu (Kaiteiban)" <3

If you like these two. You will love them.
It's true. The only one-up they have on the original and Eien Desetsu is Shiota Yuu~
Then again, I instantly love everything he's in. Oops.
Back to top Go down
http://orewahomojanai.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime15th October 2012, 4:46 pm

Bumping this thread! Its great to for helping some of the newbies if you don't know where to start. Smile
Back to top Go down
SailorCardKnight
Star Seed

SailorCardKnight

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime3rd June 2013, 2:36 am

Ive been thinking of checking out at least one of the musicals myself as of late. I'm already interested in seeing the SuperS one, "Yume Senshi - Ai Eien ni" as I downloaded the OST for that many years ago, I rather enjoyed it, and have always wanted to see the accompanying visuals. Nice to see its on the recommended list for newbies. Smile
Back to top Go down
NaoUranus
Lotus Crystal

NaoUranus

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official NaoUranus/myuteer

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime3rd June 2013, 2:50 am

ooh yea that one is good and when I feel the need for an AnzaMoon musical it's usually the one I go watch.
Back to top Go down
Tsuki-love♥
RP Admin
Neptune Emeritus

Tsuki-love♥

RP Admin  Neptune Emeritus

Title : Myuteer ~ GC's official Harumichitic

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime6th June 2013, 8:11 am

I enjoy all Myus but my personal recommendations, on top of what Miki has listed, are Sailor Stars (included in the list) and Kaguya Shima Densetsu Kaiteban.

Sailor Stars has some absolutely epic songs like Sailor War Supreme, Sorezore no Elegy and La Moon. How could you not love these and the other songs of the musical like Chasin' After You, See Me ~ Bokutachi no Jidai and Knockin' Down Hesistation?

Kaguya Kaiteban has an amazing cast and songs and the original characters of the story bring so much new emotion and feelings into the musical. Kaguya musicals are known of having the most music of any Myus so if you want to listen to as many songs as possible, check out any of the Kaguyas. On top of these things the original Kaguyas (especially the Summer version) have taken references from the Tale of the Bamboo Cutter and will not let any Ono Hikari fans cold.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://ladiesfighter.tumblr.com/ http://tsuki-no-kagayaki.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Musical To Watch First   Which Musical To Watch First I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which Musical To Watch First

View previous topic View next topic Back to top