The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Future Academic Plans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

Future Academic Plans Empty
PostSubject: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime16th April 2012, 9:11 am

So, I've ben toying with a couple of ideas that I can use to boost my resume, so it will be easier to find a job once I graduate with my master's degree. I'm not entirely sure what path to take, so I think I'll just ramble for a bit and see if anyone has thoughts or opinions. I know that very few of ya'll are involved in archaeology/anthropology, but the options shouldn't be too confusing. (An archaeological field school is an opportunity for students or volunteers to gain practical excavation/field experience).

I'm completing my master's degree in anthropology with a focus on (Mesoamerican) archaeology. While I completed my undergraduate degree, I completed an internship, two archaeological field schools, an undergraduate thesis, and published one technical report. I'll start collecting data for my master's thesis this summer.

Besides that, I can do several things to boost up my resume while I am still in the master's program. Nearly all options are in the U.S., because that is where I will be working after I finish graduate school.
1) Internship at my university (up to two semesters long taken during the fall, spring, or summer)
2) Internship during the (2013) summer somewhere in the U.S. (I would have more options of what and where I could do. Slight possibility of getting paid, if I find the right internship
3) Anthropology-related work during the (2013) summer (This would be short-term, but I could likely find something with Cultural Resource Management)
4) Another archaeological field school in the U.S. during the (2013) summer (or in Belize, again, if I don't finish my data collection his summer
5) Teacher's certification
6) (wouldn't boost my resume at all but....) Go work at the summer camp I went to as a girl, because I am dearly, dearly in love with that place and desperately want to go back.

I also need to brush up on my conversational Spanish skills. Obviously, I can't do it all. The first option can only be completed while I am attending university and it can be completed during the school year. The other options will likely be strictly summer or completed after I graduate, but then I need to find a job after I graduate, too....

Any thoughts or ideas?

Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime16th April 2012, 4:57 pm

I would just like to hear any thoughts or opinions. It doesn't matter if you are in college/graduate school or if you have any knowledge of anthropology/archaeology. I just want to hear some thoughts and opinions from people who aren't family.
Back to top Go down
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

SeleneHime

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Previously: Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime17th April 2012, 7:40 pm

I'm running out of time tonight, but I'll try to get back to you tomorrow. Hopefully my opinions will be of use to you.
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime19th April 2012, 7:03 pm

Awesome, I can't wait to hear it. I'm sure your opinion will be useful.
Back to top Go down
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

SeleneHime

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Previously: Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 6:51 pm

Bah, I'm extremely sorry about the wait, Chimia! *headdesks.*

2, 4, and 5 have good chances of increasing your resume more than others, in my opinion. But I won't lie and say that 6 wouldn't help you personally, before you finish college. It would be nice to go back to a place that you're attached to, after all.

But with the first three I mentioned, #2 would be good because it would pad probably low finances since you're so far along in college, as well as give your resume some cushioning. What would it initial, with this kind of internship? Would you be required to do something specific, or is it a broad opportunity?

#4 is something I myself would love to do (^_^"), but it would provide some very much needed experience in your field. I can imagine that it would be costly, though, if it wasn't covered by whomever was overseeing it (which I doubt).

#5 is pretty obvious, even if you don't want to do actual teaching long-term. The certification will at least allow you to support yourself, on the side of doing what you actually want to when possible.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime21st April 2012, 11:44 pm

Just to make a quick note, if you decide to go with a teaching certification, pick and state that you want to live in and do it there. Becuase say you get your certification in one place and try to go to another, it could be all way different or you need different prerequisites, etc. etc. My boyfriend, after getting an English degree, has decided to go back for teaching certification, but we are pretty sure we want to move out of state and basically as a teacher, you kind of want to pick a state and stay there as long as possible. If you'd like more info on teaching stuff, let me know and I can ask him questions, etc. Also maybe if you just want it for a job to pay the bills, consider substitute teaching, I think in more places you don't necessarily need certification. Also if you teach at private schools, you won't need certs.

As for your other options, I think I am in most agreement with Puu. 2 sounds very nice, especially if its paid. A paid internship is always always good. I wish I had gotten into more internships to be honest because I can't really do that out of school and i guess if i considered going for my masters, it would become an option again. I did one internship, which was fairlyhelpful and paid a little (considering it was a low budget animation project)...but anyway.

Yeah. Just let me know if you'd like more info on the teaching end of things. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime22nd April 2012, 7:58 am

Thank you all for your input! I will most certainly look into (2013) summer internships and archaeological field schools.

I do have a question about teacher's certification. I know there are tons of "schools" out there, which are willing to push you through the process. Are they any good or would it be best that I take a different route? I was more thinking about private schools and community colleges, but I want to keep my options open.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime22nd April 2012, 10:52 am

Now, that I have fairly little knowledge on, but I assume maybe just doing some basic research on universities and colleges, you'd find some info out. My bf is going to the university in town here, and one of the other public schools in the state is known for having a good teaching department, but I don't know much else besides that. :/

That is something we were discussing too...because if he could go to a community college around here for the certification, then it'd be cheaper than the university. :/
Back to top Go down
KittyCMoon
Pyramidal Crystal

KittyCMoon

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Kitty-Chan

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime22nd April 2012, 9:48 pm

My future academic plans is to finish my associates in Psychology and then go the university and get my BA and then go to the masters program and major in Forensic Psychology. I should get my associates by this fall. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://kittycmoon.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Future Academic Plans   Future Academic Plans I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Future Academic Plans

View previous topic View next topic Back to top