The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Princessarmy
Star Seed

Star Seed

Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? Empty
PostSubject: Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?   Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? I_icon_minitime20th June 2018, 5:30 pm

Is Sailor Moon becoming as popular as Star Wars and Star Trek?
Back to top Go down
cardea
Lotus Crystal

cardea

Lotus Crystal

Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?   Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? I_icon_minitime20th June 2018, 6:26 pm

I think its definitely a cult classic, not necessarily because the show itself is popular, but the idea is. It's one of those anime that everyone (as in all anime fans) recognizes, but when I talk to people about it irl, most often it was either something they watched as a kid, or something they haven't actually watched, but know about. And definitely most of the new media is intended for adult audiences rather than children, with the more serious tones in Crystal and the Nelke musicals, other events like the classical concert, and even merch being more mature, with lots of clothes and makeup intended for actual, serious wearing. Of course, there are exceptions like the USJ ride which is fun for all ages, and the recent novelization of the manga for children, but as a whole, the current Sailor Moon is one focused on garnering nostalgia in old fans, rather than forming new ones. Though most of that stuff is in Japan, and has less to do with the status of Sailor Moon in the English speaking world...

And for that reason, I don't think Sailor Moon will ever really be as popular as Star Wars or Star Trek. It's one of the largest and most recognizable anime, possibly the most recognizable shoujo, but I think it will always be seen as a part of the category of "anime" rather than regarded on its own. It's things like this that make me wonder what a world would be like where Saban Moon had actually aired, and just how much the English and Japanese Sailor Moon communities would differ...
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?   Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? I_icon_minitime20th June 2018, 8:36 pm

I mean, the fact that this forum is mostly made up of adults shows that it's popular with adults. And it's definitely one of the most well known anime out there, probably only behind the likes of Dragon Ball Z and the Pokémon anime, but I agree with Cardea: It will probably never be as well known as the likes of Star Wars and Star Trek, because it is anime and anime is still fairly niche (though in the past decade or so I'd say it's come into the mainstream a bit more). But I think it does somewhat have the same level of knowledge/popularity as Star Wars/Trek in anime circles, as in, everyone kind of knows what it is but not necessarily everyone is in deep.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
Sailor Makoto
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Makoto

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter

PostSubject: Re: Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?   Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? I_icon_minitime22nd June 2018, 12:19 pm

Not exactly as popular as Star Wars and Star Trek, however Sailor Moon is a high-quality and top-tier with action, beauty and great storytelling, and it has a large global fan base of children and adults, a cult classic alright. I say Sailor Moon belongs to both anime/manga and sci-fi categories alike: souls of princesses from the Moon reincarnate as human girls is a sci-fi quality. I place Sailor Moon among the 6 most famous animated shows of the 1990s along with The Simpsons, Beavis and Butthead, King of the Hill, South Park and Family Guy, only Sailor Moon is for all audiences. I also classify Sailor Moon as part of the "girl power" genre, like Cardcaptor Sakura, Totally Spies and the Powerpuff girls. And the same level of popularity of other anime, esp. from the 1990s like Pokemon and DragonBall Z/GT, in addition with Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, and (crayon) Shin Chan.
Back to top Go down
nm___i3bfc
Lotus Crystal

nm___i3bfc

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Kakyuu

PostSubject: Re: Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?   Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? I_icon_minitime18th May 2019, 10:24 pm

Sailor Moon fans seem to be really dedicated, and there is a lot of fan created stuff, so yeah, it probably is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?   Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has Sailor Moon in a way become a cult classic anime that it is popular even with adults?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top