The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? Empty
PostSubject: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime3rd March 2017, 7:55 am

Soooo I know quite a few people have yet to watch PGSM or are maybe turned off on it for various reasons and I think this is a topic no one has thought to bring up.

So, why? What is it that doesn't seem too appealing to you? Why haven't you given it a chance?

Perhaps I could persuade you in some manner to give it a chance or one of the many other PGSM lovers we have on the forums can! Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? 2695440696

And on the other hand, if you have watched it but couldn't get into it, why as well? Did some things not make sense? Would it help if there was some explanation or reasoning of aspects of the series? If you could get beyond the "cheese" as many fans call it, do you think you could appreciate it more?
Back to top Go down
mangaka-chan
Lotus Crystal

mangaka-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Helios/Chibi Usa shipper

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime3rd March 2017, 8:54 am

I actually watched the first few episodes of PGSM when it came out in the early 2000's. It was kind of funny at first and my friends and I got a few good laughs out of the various changes and nods to the manga. But I think for me the reason I didn't finish watching it is because the live action quality upsets my suspension of disbelief for the story. I think I have the 2D versions of the story so squarely set in my mind that I can't get over how weird it is seeing real people acting out the story.
Back to top Go down
http://mangakachan.tumblr.com/ http://mangaka-chan.deviantart.com/
Sailor Jupiter
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director

Sailor Jupiter

Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime3rd March 2017, 10:20 am

BECAUSE I SUCK

No, I'm just kind of bad at watching TV shows. I also wanted Tyler to watch it with me and before he lived with me that would've been difficult. AND I also didn't have a way to hook a PC to a TV before, but now I can, so I plan to watch it this year.
Back to top Go down
yunbuns
Lotus Crystal

yunbuns

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of da Norf.

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime3rd March 2017, 3:07 pm

It's too cheesy for me and not in the good way.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime3rd March 2017, 3:22 pm

Time, internet, not being able to watch it on my phone because it doesn't run certain players, lack of interest at the momentz I watched a few episodes and liked it but... eh. Not right now.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
dreamsinpink
Lotus Crystal

dreamsinpink

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime26th March 2017, 8:12 am

I watched most of it years ago not long after it came out (hard to believe that was already almost 15 years ago!). But I don't remember ever finishing it. I think I struggled mostly with it because I'm not a fan of the plush cats, and the characters and costumes didn't really look like what I had pictured in my head for years. I guess that's always one danger / drawback to live-action adaptations.
Back to top Go down
https://dreamsinpinkwrites.wordpress.com/ http://she-dreams-in-pink.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/user/adriennethecanadian
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime31st October 2017, 10:57 am

dreamsinpink wrote:
...and the characters and costumes didn't really look like what I had pictured in my head for years.

I had this trouble at first too, actually. Before finally diving into it I had already cosplayed as Sailor Venus and a lot of the garment construction choices kind of baffled me. (E.g. why on the side of their bust "armor" do they have a great big massive strip of what appears to be velcro to close it?? They didn't have to put the things on and off *that* quickly did they? Really? (Like for their stunt doubles I guess??) 'Cause it's unsightly >.>. Could've done something at least a little subtler...)

BUT, I found that when I was watching their scenes with the youma, aesthetically everything suddenly looks right! And the ballet fu is always kind of fun :3.

Brit, we will get converts yet!!  Heh heh...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime31st October 2017, 11:16 am

I'm not gunna lie. After my first watch through, I just thought it was just okay and usually ranked it on the bottom of my "favorite version" list (and this was before i had watched the musicals too, oh how times have changed). I initially thought the "ballet-fu" was kinda silly along with the cats as plushies buuuut...a second (then third) rewatch just somehow made me realize it was so much more beyond those cosmetic issues.

Also I actually always liked the costumes and the transformations but i'm weird like that.

What also helped me was to keep in mind the context of the genre it was design to tailor to. It was a toku show with writers and crew that worked on other toku shows (like Kamen Rider, Super Sentai, etc.) and this is just the style of that. If you think its cheesy now, go watch other shows like it and you'll realize it's intentional and not "hurr durr silly Japanese being silly". Plus iirc, for a toku show I think it had a generally smaller budget so it probably already looked a bit more hokey in comparison to other shows.

Annnd yeah. I think if you started to watch it but didn't get far enough, perhaps give it another go? I personally find it really picks up after Act 10. I remember my second watch, I kinda teetered off around Act 7 before picking it back up again after like a couple of months. I think since those intro stories have been done so much at this point I can see how it might feel bleh. But its def worth the chance if you keep at it, imo! ^_^
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime31st October 2017, 11:43 pm

Honestly I've love to find any official channel or service where I can watch it. I never knew about it until around the same time I learned about Crystal and the Viz dub re-release in April, and being the anime nutter I am I dove straight into the anime first. If I can find anyway to buy DVDs or at the absolute very least watch it on the net somewhere I'd jump at the chance, but I wouldn't know the first place to look.
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime1st November 2017, 1:13 am

This pinned thread might help you Wink

https://www.thegalaxycauldronforums.com/t8438-where-to-watch-pgsm-updated
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime1st November 2017, 6:24 am

chrissifniotis wrote:
Honestly I've love to find any official channel or service where I can watch it. I never knew about it until around the same time I learned about Crystal and the Viz dub re-release in April, and being the anime nutter I am I dove straight into the anime first. If I can find anyway to buy DVDs or at the absolute very least watch it on the net somewhere I'd jump at the chance, but I wouldn't know the first place to look.

Sailor Neptune wrote:

To add to this, as of now, there are no official services that offer a place to legally watch it with English subtitles. You can always purchase the Japanese DVDs via shop like CDJapan or something but there will not be English subtitles. So any of those options will unfortunately not be official or really legal either. There also seems to be a very slim to no chance of there ever being an officially licensed release outside of Japan with English subtitles (which is too bad because I've seen a few Sentai shows get released with official English subs but I think the genre in general is a bit too niche for the Western market).

Anywaaaaay....you should still watch it!!
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime1st November 2017, 11:36 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:

Sailor Neptune wrote:

To add to this, as of now, there are no official services that offer a place to legally watch it with English subtitles. You can always purchase the Japanese DVDs via shop like CDJapan or something but there will not be English subtitles. So any of those options will unfortunately not be official or really legal either. There also seems to be a very slim to no chance of there ever being an officially licensed release outside of Japan with English subtitles (which is too bad because I've seen a few Sentai shows get released with official English subs but I think the genre in general is a bit too niche for the Western market).

Anywaaaaay....you should still watch it!!

That's a shame.:bunnycry:I'll check out the link but since I don't really know a lot of Japanese watching it without subs is more or less the same as watching it blindfolded; pointless.
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
nm___i3bfc
Lotus Crystal

nm___i3bfc

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Kakyuu

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime9th February 2019, 7:19 pm

I guess mainly that I keep forgetting about it, or that it's only one season, which is admittedly not very much of a problem. Everyone seems to think that it is really good, too.
The cheesiness probably wouldn't bother me (I've seen short parts of the special effects stuff), and it's not like it can get any cheesier than the Myus Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? 3884866259 .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?   Why haven't you watched PGSM yet? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why haven't you watched PGSM yet?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top