The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan

[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Empty
PostSubject: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime16th August 2016, 12:17 pm

Hello everyone in this fine morning (well morning for me) so in this occasion I would like to give you this tutorial it will be mainly for photoshop users, but don't be afraid GIMP users i'll give you an alternative to this =)

So the idea came after our talented Gemma wanted to make bumpers/icons the easy way, and believe me if you're using photoshop (I think from CS5+) you can do this in a snap!

Step 1
-Create a 100x100 file (transparent)
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxDVj

Step 2
-Open the image you want to use and copy-paste in the new file
Ctrl + a = Select the entire image | Ctrl + c = Copy | Ctrl + v= paste
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxzoJ
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Fx7An

Step 3
-Resize your image using any method you want (Remember to always hold shift when resizing an image)
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Fx87s

Step 4
-Click the 'rectangle box' and create a new one on top of the new layer then move it under the image, you'll see that a properties box will pop up, LEAVE IT THERE DON'T CLOSE IT BECAUSE IS WHAT WE NEED!
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxPd5

Step 4.1
-Let me introduce you to the properties of the rectangle tool and the other shapes under the rectangle tool, this box will make your live easy for this purpose. The parts highlighted in yellow are the options we are going to use for this tutorial.
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxKZ2

Step 5
-This part will be difficult for older versions of photoshop, but I think it was available since photoshop cs4 if I'm wrong let me know. Please read carefully because it will be a bit confusing at first.
-Place your mouse between the 2 images while holding 'alt' on your keyboard
-You'll see that your pointer will turn into a down pointer with a small rectangle
-Make a click and you'll see how the image 'goes down' into the rectangle, what happened here is that the rectangle became the 'only layer' if you move the rectangle you'll see part of the image disappears, it kind of acts as a mask layer.
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxW5P

Step 6
-Add your colorings, your brightess and any other resource you want to use, but remember that each layer that you create must be 'inside' the rectangle
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxZRM

Step 7
-The fun part beggins~ time to play around with the properties. Let's first create a shape different than the pointed corner that we know you see this part
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxH5Q
-Click the middle lock, this will release all the corners and will just work on the one you want to. So let's just modify the upper left corner and the bottom right corner.
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxNRx
-Click the 0 and change it for 20, you'll see how the corners become rounder
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxVkN
-Nice! Let's add more stuffs, what about a rounded border? So I clicked the color next to the background (the one with a line across) that's the border line the numbers next to it are the thickness of the border I set my thickness to 3 and picked the color blue from my swatches.
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxdJF
-But I want to add a second border, so I zoomed the canvas so I can be more precise and resized a little bit the rectangle (only this resize!!!) your image might look odd now so move it if necessary.
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FBGse

Step 8
-Now double click the rectangle and the layers style box will pop up, next click the Stroke button you'll see that another border was added to your image, let's fix this a little bit because by default the border is 3, so change it to a 2, the position change it to inside and the color change it to one that looks good with your bumper. Here are my settings:
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Fx0sO
-The result is this
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Fx2Um

Step 9
-Time to add a font! So remember that the BEST fonts to use in this case are the pixel-type fonts, you can find this type of fonts in this link. So for this example I'll be using my favorite tiny font ' Ernest', do whatever you feel it's necessary to your font in order to make it look good, I decided to once again open the layer style options and here are my settings
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxJAd
-NOTE: this is the most important setting, your tiny font MUST be in none and under 10px of size.
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Fxkpq
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Fx9V8
-I duplicated the font and added to the bottom and the final result is this!
[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop FxL7D

This is it~! really easy right? ^_^

Until next time!

#ag #agtutorial #agphotoshop
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Diana
Inner Senshi Admin
Graphics Director

Diana

Inner Senshi Admin   Graphics Director

Title : Ally-Cat ♡ॢ₍⸍⸌̣ʷ̣̫⸍̣⸌₎. Wolf-sissy to yunbuns. ♥

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime16th August 2016, 12:31 pm

I LOVE YOU MARU, THANKS A BUNCH!!!
Back to top Go down
CrystalBunny
Lotus Crystal

CrystalBunny

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime3rd October 2016, 4:26 am

Anybody help :The rectangle tool properties box doesn't appear !and I'm using cs6 !
Back to top Go down
Diana
Inner Senshi Admin
Graphics Director

Diana

Inner Senshi Admin   Graphics Director

Title : Ally-Cat ♡ॢ₍⸍⸌̣ʷ̣̫⸍̣⸌₎. Wolf-sissy to yunbuns. ♥

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime3rd October 2016, 4:53 am

CrystalBunny wrote:
Anybody help :The rectangle tool properties box doesn't appear !and I'm using cs6 !

Bubbles already told me, that the Rectangle Tool doesn't exist in Photoshop CS6. I'm using CS6 Extended, but I'm not quite certain about the Tool being there from the start, though. I downloaded this version years ago and I probably "improved" it somehow lol, but I also tested CC and it definetly exists in CC! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime3rd October 2016, 5:54 am

OH MY GOD THANK YOU!

This is a great tutorial, I will recommend it!

Aww, I thought you guys were super artists though.
Back to top Go down
SaturnTomoe
Pyramidal Crystal

SaturnTomoe

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Firefly

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime3rd October 2016, 7:03 am

sweet!!

I thought you people were the artists lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoXjkyUY8ALgc-juz0dw0jw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime3rd October 2016, 8:58 am

Great tutorial!! I always painstakenly used the Direct Selection tool and also added in points to make the curves. This is way easier omfg. xD

Also! I think for step 5, what you are doing is called "Create Clipping Mask" which you can also get to by right clicking the layer and selecting "Create Clipping Mask". I just tested it out using the "alt" button on Photoshop CS2 and it works! I never did the clipping masking using alt, that's so handy! I always right clicked on the layer (You have to right click on the area where the layer name is, not where it shows the little preview btw) and selected create layer mask.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime29th October 2016, 1:31 pm

So I'm finally getting around to using this tutorial and whenever I create the rectangle, the properties does not pop up for me for the shape and I can't seem to find where else that would be? Any help would be great! I'm using CS5 if that helps.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime29th October 2016, 1:35 pm

CS5 doesn't have it, that is only available on Photoshop CC as far as I know. That's why I finally upgraded from CS5, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime29th October 2016, 8:26 pm

[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop Luke-noooo-o
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop   [Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Tutorial] Creating a bumper/icon in photoshop

View previous topic View next topic Back to top