The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Pennsylvania Foods

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Luna.

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime28th August 2015, 8:29 pm

Pennsylvania Foods Tastykake-100-560_zps8pu5wrpm

First of all, PA has a lot of interesting kinds of food and some of the food is unique only to PA and other foods originate from PA, but are in other states or are worldwide.

Norristown foods:
Zeps: This is a food only found in Norristown, evidently that's where I'm from. These are sandwiches made on a kaiser roll with thick cut cooked salami with peppercorns in it, thick cut bologna, thick cut provolone cheese, tomatoes, slicked onions, and oregano. 

Philadelphia foods:
Cheesesteaks: This food originated in Philadelphia, aka Philly. You can get cheesesteaks in other states, but they are not real cheesesteaks because they aren't made the way they are in Philly. Cheesesteaks are made of thinly sliced beef and slices of melted cheese on a long roll. In Philly the cheese is cheese wiz and there's sometimes onions on them.

Soft pretzels: These are just as it sounds. Twisted chewy soft pretzel topped with salt. These are found on any street corner in Philly. Often they are topped with mustard. These were brought to Philly by German settlers in the 1700s.

Mushrooms: Kennett Square is known as "the mushroom capital of the world". 50 percent of the nations mushrooms are grown here.

Dutch County Cuisine
All of these foods are authentic Pennsylvania Dutch foods.

Whoopie Pies: These are a sweet food made from two cake-like cookies sandwiched around a cream center. They're very delicious and can be made in many different flavors.

Shoofly Pie: This is made of brown sugar and gooey molasses. It got its name because bakers had to 'shoo' the flies away from the cooling pies. 

Pot Pie: Pot pie is a delicious pie made with chicken, chicken broth, and vegetables in a homemade dough. This is made all throughout PA and has been adopted by many companies and made in other states.

Scrapple: No one really knows what this is made of, nor do we really want to, but it's a fried mush of pork scraps and cornmeal. It's slightly spicy and can be made to be very crunchy.

Birch Beer: It's like root beer, but made with the sap of the birch tree. 

Other Foods
Utz: In 1921, in a home kitchen the first chips were made by this company. Since then they've become the largest independent privately owned snack brand. The produce more then one million pounds of potato chips per week. They also produce a ton of other kinds of snacks.

Herr's Snack Factory: Originally started in Lancaster in 1946 by James Stauffer Herr, when he bought a chip company. They are now located in Chester County, PA. They produce a ton of snack food these days. They are a rival company to Utz.

Hershey's Chocolate: This chocolate comes from the Chocolate Capital of the World in Hershey Pennsylvania. Known as "The Sweetest Place on Earth", Hershey produces a ton of candy throughout America and the company spans the globe. This company was developed by Milton Hershey in 1905. They're famous for the Hershey's Chocolate Bar, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Twizzlers, and Jolly Ranchers.

Tastykake: These delicious, individually wrapped, snack cakes started in 1914 when Phillip Bauer started baking them. It is now one of the largest baking companies in the United States. 

Turkey Hill: More that 75 years ago in Lancaster, PA, Armor Frey began selling milk to his neighbors. The business grew and his sons bought it from him in 1980. They started selling ice cream after that as well and their business took off. 

Amazing food places:
First of all, these two food places are constantly being fought over. Pennsylvanians are always arguing over which of these two is the best place.

Wawa: This is strictly an Eastern PA food place. It's heaven and has hoagies and many other delicious foods.

Sheetz: This place is similar to Wawa, but it's in Western PA and has different kinds of food than Wawa, usually home of the more unhealthy fried foods.
Back to top Go down
http://meganalburger.weebly.com
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime1st September 2015, 9:52 pm

I didn't know pretzels were from PA!
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
dreamsinpink
Lotus Crystal

dreamsinpink

Lotus Crystal

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime1st September 2015, 10:28 pm

Mm, I love pot pie! I never knew it was from PA!
Birch beer also sounds really interesting, I would love to try it. Does it taste really different from root beer?
Back to top Go down
https://dreamsinpinkwrites.wordpress.com/ http://she-dreams-in-pink.tumblr.com https://www.youtube.com/user/adriennethecanadian
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime2nd September 2015, 8:39 am

Specifically soft pretzels. I'm not sure where normal pretzels come from. Haha. And yeah birch beer has an interesting taste to it. It's a bit different from root beer, but it's hard to describe.
Back to top Go down
Lady Orion
Lotus Crystal

Lady Orion

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC Official Ami (PGSM)

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime6th September 2015, 7:30 am

Tastykake!  The fatty in me got excited.  Pennsylvania Foods 335194840
Back to top Go down
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime6th September 2015, 9:29 am

I love Tastykake!!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime10th September 2015, 1:12 pm

There's actually food called Shoofly Pie xD That is amazing.

Ohh, I never knew Hershey is from Pennsylvania!

So many delicious sounding sweets! I'm both sad and happy there aren't pictures xD I've always wanted to try a cheesesteak because it sounds so good ;_;
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

Pennsylvania Foods Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Foods   Pennsylvania Foods I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pennsylvania Foods

View previous topic View next topic Back to top