The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Luna.

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Empty
PostSubject: Pennsylvania Cities and Sights   Pennsylvania Cities and Sights I_icon_minitime28th August 2015, 9:23 pm

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 9uVqMk0_zpsldlbskfv

In Pennsylvania there are a lot of different places you can visit. There's a lot of history in this lovely little state and fun places to go. I figured I'd introduce you to a couple and some of them aren't even cities per say, they are more like towns.

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 2093311_zpsb9jou5qt
First of all, Harrisburg is the capital of Pennsylvania. Harrisburg has the largest stone arch bridge in the world it's called the Rockville Bridge. There are some great sites to see in Harrisburg. A lot of them happen to be museums. 

Pennsylvania State Capital Building: Construction for this building started November 7, 1902 and ended on August 15, 1906. 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Capitol-front-viewLarge

The National Civil War Museum: This is the only museum in the United States that shows and unbiased look at the Civil War.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Civil-war

Fort Hunter Mansion and Park: This was built overlooking the Susquehanna River. It served as a war fort, a hub for commerce and a private estate. It's been preserved and open to the public.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Getlstd-property-photo

The State Museum of Pennsylvania: This museum holds more than two million objects that are significant to the history and heritage of Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Museumjpg-a3d9189b5825f88d_large

Cathedral of Saint Patrick: 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 0354

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Pittsburgh%20PA%20Skyline2_zpsnqd1ecu6

Fun facts about Pittsburgh:
KDKA, a radio station was the first to produce a commercial radio broadcast. Pittsburgh is famous for manufacturing steel, that's why their professional football team is called the Steelers. Pittsburgh has over 300 sets of city maintained steps. If they were stacked on top of each other, they would reach over 26,000 feet high. They would measure higher than a lot of the Himalayan Mountains.

Liberty Tunnel: The Liberty Tunnel in Pittsburgh opened in 1924. At that time the 5,700 foot facility was the longest artificially ventilated automobile tunnel in the world.

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Libertytun2898

Phipps Conservatory: This conservatory was founded in 1893 by Henry Phipps. It was created to entertain and educate people with formal gardens.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights D94b1fe7-2c11-48db-bae2-21c3547b6f58

Cathedral of Learning: The centerpiece of the University of Pittsburgh's campus. It's 535 feet tall, 42 stories tall. It's the fourth tallest educational building in the world and the second tallest gothic style building in the world. It was commissioned in 1921 and finished in 1934. 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights P1011873536-3

Carnigie Museum of Natural History: Carnegie Museum of Natural History is the place for kids to discover science and the wonders of the natural world. Dig for bones in Bonehunters Quarry, get hands-on with real and replica specimens in Discovery Basecamp, grind corn in a Hopi home, and other hands on things.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 19423848868_57685fcdcd

Children's Museum of Pittsburgh: This is a nationally recognized Children's Museum that provides innovative museum experiences that inspire joy, creativity, and curiosity with exhibits, interactive programs, performances, artists-in-residence and a diverse artwork collection.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Nea_grants_09_02

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Img0103tonemapped-x2_zpsffiumjx1
Lancaster County was created from Chester County in 1730. Lancaster was the capital of Pennsylvania for one day: September 27, 1777. The first newspaper "The Lancaster Gazette" was published in 1752. 

The Fulton Theatre: The building was built in 1852. This theatre building is called the Fulton Opera house. They are an equity house theatre in Lancaster. They have done quite a few world premieres of shows.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 2110607881_63fb545e8c

Amish Farm and House: This house opened about 60 years ago as a place for tourists to view the Amish lifestyle and learn about it. 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Amish-farm-and-house

Dutch Wonderland: "A Kingdom For Kids!" is their slogan. It opened on May, 20, 1963, and has been recognized as the Best Kid’s Park in the World by Amusement Today magazine. 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Dutch-wonderland-castle

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 053501d9b27e2cf9745544b7b6ff6722_zpsfbiuykyj
West Chester is a beautiful town in Pennsylvania. It just so happens to be the home of the college that I went to. The college started out as a teaching college and then became a normal college. It has gone through many renovations since it's original creation in 1871.

There are many things to do in this town, other than go to school. You can walk into the town of West Chester and go shopping or go to a restaurant. There are two theatre companies and a new theatre in West Chester, not including the school. The Gilbert and Sullivan Society has it's home here and there are many performances of Gilbert and Sullivan's works each year.

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Love-park-bkrist-900vp_zpscvjkmktk
The Declaration of Independence was signed in Philly in 1776. Philly was once the capital of the United States before Washington D.C. Fairmount Park in Philadelphia is the largest city park with over 8,000 acres.

Independence Hall: The building was created in 1753. It houses the Liberty Bell.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Philadelphia-independence-hall

Liberty Bell: The Liberty Bell was cast in the Whitechapel Foundry in the East End of London and sent to the building currently known as Independence Hall, then the Pennsylvania State House, in 1753.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 256px-Liberty_Bell_2008

The Franklin Institute: In 1824, The Franklin Institute opened to honor Benjamin Franklin. In 1934, with the construction of the building and the Fels Planetarium, it became a hands-on science museum. The IMAX Theater and the Mandell Center were added in 1990. Today, it’s Pennsylvania’s most visited museum. 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Franklin-institute-exterior-steps-587

Philadelphia Museum of Art: It was founded in 1876 as a museum of decorative arts, the Museum outgrew its place in Fairmount Park’s Memorial Hall. Its new building, opened in 1928. Julian Abele, the chief designer and the first African-American graduate of the University of Pennsylvania’s architecture school, was inspired by the temples he saw while traveling in Greece and that's why he built it the way he did.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Philadelphia-museum-of-art-600

National Constitution Center: 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Directions_Hero

Please Touch Museum: This is one of the few museums that lasted from the tourist upgrade in Philly in 1976.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights PLEASE-TOUCH-EXTERIOR-550

The Philadelphia Zoo: Benjamin Franklin founded this zoo, it was the first public zoo in the United States. It was built in 1874. This is an amazing zoo with interactive features for kids and animal rides. 
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Philadelphia-zoo-entrance-900vp

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Hershey__PA-Hershey-Pennsylvania-8dcbe2483dd742eeb179200d63f31699_zpsalynobw8
The Chocolate Capital of the World is Hershey Pennsylvania. Known as "The Sweetest Place on Earth", Hershey produces a ton of candy throughout America and the company spans the globe. This company was developed by Milton Hershey in 1905. They're famous for the Hershey's Chocolate Bar, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Twizzlers, and Jolly Ranchers.

Hershey Park: The first ride opened in 1908, it was a carousel. The park opened it's first roller coaster in 1923. In the 1970s they built the first looping roller coaster on the east coast. The park also includes Chocolate World. It is a ride that talks about the founding of the company and how their chocolate is made. They also have a shop where you can make your own chocolate bar, buy Hershey's merchandise and candy.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Hersheypark-entrance

Chocolate Factory:
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 3427e52f60c15f1e_51674814.preview

Hershey Theatre: The theatre was opened in September 1933. Built thanks to Milton Hershey as a part of Hershey's Great Building Campaign of the Depression.
Pennsylvania Cities and Sights Theatre
Back to top Go down
http://meganalburger.weebly.com
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

Senior Member  Saturn Emeritus

Title : (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。magical weirdo, Original Saturn

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Cities and Sights   Pennsylvania Cities and Sights I_icon_minitime1st September 2015, 6:56 pm

Best state. Wink

I highly recommend coming here as well during the fall. The Poconos is a great getaway during this time of the year when the leaves begin to change.
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Cities and Sights   Pennsylvania Cities and Sights I_icon_minitime1st September 2015, 9:40 pm

I've always wanted to go to Hershey, but my mom went without me when I was in highschool grrr. She bought me a necklace that had a Hershey kiss charm, though!
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

Senior Member  Saturn Emeritus

Title : (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。magical weirdo, Original Saturn

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Cities and Sights   Pennsylvania Cities and Sights I_icon_minitime1st September 2015, 9:42 pm

I was there about two weeks ago. It is a lovely town and the Amusement park is my most favorite. Another popular park is Knoebels. It outranks Disney on some lists for family fun. It is also 100% free to enter the park. This makes it great for people who just want to walk around and enjoy shows.
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Cities and Sights   Pennsylvania Cities and Sights I_icon_minitime6th September 2015, 1:14 am

My dad was born in Pennsylvania Dutch country.  Sadly enough, though, I've never even been to the state.  Even sadder, I've never figured out which cities & towns comprise Pennsylvania Dutch country.  Pennsylvania Cities and Sights 702547589
Back to top Go down
http://mistress9shideout.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pennsylvania Cities and Sights   Pennsylvania Cities and Sights I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pennsylvania Cities and Sights

View previous topic View next topic Back to top