The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
なきむし
Star Seed

なきむし

Star Seed

Title : Descendant of the Moon

Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? Empty
PostSubject: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime11th August 2015, 2:34 pm

I know that animation styles fluctuated A LOT, but I feel like the quality of animation was at its best in the beginning of the series. Of course there were always mistakes, but the style was just cute and simple and looked good overall. There were some episodes where it was just..not so good, but the first season had really good animation for something animated in 92. 

The R season was generally good as well, though not as good as the first imo.

S was..well, the style just didn't look as good and it often looked kind of low budget, though some of the episodes were well animated and I liked them a lot. SuperS was about the same as S though sometimes it was really iffy, but overall SuperS was pretty good, maybe even moreso than S.

But StarS? This might just be me but the animation in StarS was atrocious, especially in episode 200. 

Some of it comes down to opinion it seemed like there were more wonky shots in the later seasons. I wonder why this is? Do you guys agree? You'd think the animation would be better and more style consistent as the series progressed because Sailor Moon was such a success, you'd think they'd get a higher budget?
Back to top Go down
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Starchild

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Leek & JunJun/Sailor Juno

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime11th August 2015, 9:00 pm

Part of my issue with StarS, is the terrible colors. I'm not sure if it's just the bootleg DVDs I have, but some of them were god awful.
I do notice what you're talking about though, animation wise. Itoh had the best character designs. *.*
The henshin for Eternal Sailor Moon was AWFUL. The starlights first henshins were AWFUL. I mean, seriously. Although I had to say, in 198, Galaxia looked gorgeous.

Look at this... just look at it. Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? 3658275139
Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? Tumblr_mrhpxm8iNA1qfhdruo1_400

Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? 3097696-7930521240-tumbl
Back to top Go down
http://starchild.seaofserenity.net/ http://piscean-phantom.tumblr.com https://www.deviantart.com/the-saltiest-leek
Sailor Nike
Star Seed

Sailor Nike

Star Seed

Title : Second Exorcist

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime11th August 2015, 9:40 pm

I don´t think this way... Actually I like a lot the animation on Stars. For me, the weakest animation is on R. But it´s just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://terumi-kantoku.tumblr.com http://azure-crystal-lotus.deviantart.com
なきむし
Star Seed

なきむし

Star Seed

Title : Descendant of the Moon

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime11th August 2015, 9:57 pm

Starchild wrote:
Part of my issue with StarS, is the terrible colors. I'm not sure if it's just the bootleg DVDs I have, but some of them were god awful.
I do notice what you're talking about though, animation wise. Itoh had the best character designs. *.*
The henshin for Eternal Sailor Moon was AWFUL. The starlights first henshins were AWFUL. I mean, seriously. Although I had to say, in 198, Galaxia looked gorgeous.

Look at this... just look at it. Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? 3658275139
Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? Tumblr_mrhpxm8iNA1qfhdruo1_400

Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? 3097696-7930521240-tumbl
Yeah, the colour was not great lol. Honestly, most DVDs that aren't remastered, especially bootlegs just have terrible colour D: 

Ikuko Itoh had the best style, I agree ;-;
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime13th August 2015, 5:54 pm

Personally I think the animation peaked in SuperS, there was some really nice animation there and its generally myfavorite art style. You can definitely tell the first season is from the early 90s but I think it looks good for its age. I'm always a fan of the first season.

I think best animation over all was in the 3 movies. Obviously cause bigger budgets. :3
Back to top Go down
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime13th August 2015, 6:19 pm

I don't know about the animation, but I found the drawings were better as the seasons progressed. As long as there are not some big glitches, I don't really mind animation weirdness and as for the colours, I found some more aggressive than others (as much in the first season than the last), but Sailor Moon is known for being very much colored.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Jupiter
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director

Sailor Jupiter

Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime13th August 2015, 6:25 pm

Honestly I can't see what's wrong with the animation/coloring in those gifs?
Back to top Go down
Starchild
Lotus Crystal

Starchild

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Leek & JunJun/Sailor Juno

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime13th August 2015, 6:29 pm

Henshinyo wrote:
Honestly I can't see what's wrong with the animation/coloring in those gifs?
More or less Neptune's neck and the different sized arms of Sailor Moon. I nitpick little things. Like for a stock transformation sequence, it's pretty meh. I should have explained more in my first post. XD 
I just really disliked most of StarS head animators.
Back to top Go down
http://starchild.seaofserenity.net/ http://piscean-phantom.tumblr.com https://www.deviantart.com/the-saltiest-leek
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?   Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it just me or did the animation get worse as the series progressed?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top