The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Fisheye animation cel from 1995

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SailorAries
Star Seed

SailorAries

Star Seed

Title : Lovely Angel Fisheye

Fisheye animation cel from 1995 Empty
PostSubject: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime12th July 2017, 1:02 pm

Hi everyone, I recently bought an original 1995 SuperS Fisheye animation cel from Ebay and I wanted to ask if any of you guys own cels from Sailor Moon? I'd really love to see them and/or hear about them! How'd you come across them and what season, episode, etc. are they from? I did a little video on the cel in case anyone is interested in viewing it. **Warning for adult language though, I was really excited lol. [For those who may be mods please do let me know if this is like, not kosher for this forum because of the content or website link ban etc. I'm gonna link it as opposed to embedding as a precaution.] Fisheye cel video 

Here are some photos from the seller as well in case the video isn't okay:
Fisheye animation cel from 1995 S-l1600
Fisheye animation cel from 1995 S-l1600

Also, for those of you who own cels, any suggestions on preservation and framing? I'd really like to get this cel framed when I have the chance but want to ensure it is done carefully!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUSm_SqnGvh9lhgp58q3Fxw
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime13th July 2017, 2:00 pm

I don't own any cels. ;-; So i am jealous! I would suggest maybe going to your local craft store and asking about how to frame things that need to be preserved like that. I don't remember much of what I had learned about that kinda stuff from art school. xD I'd definitely keep it out of sunlight so just watch where you decided to hang it on a wall and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime13th July 2017, 3:41 pm

...DID SOMEBODY SAY CELS? Fisheye animation cel from 1995 2503753863

I own two from Sailor Moon S: one of Viluy and one of Ptilol! They were purchased from LunaArt. You can see them here in my collection thread: Andalusite's Accumulation

I did a buttload of research before purchasing and framing them, so I will do my best to give you my two cents on the topic of cel preservation.  Fisheye animation cel from 1995 2422052349

Regarding framing, I do not recommend going to a craft store. Go to an art gallery instead and ask them to frame it archivally. Although an art gallery will likely be a bit more expensive, they will be a lot more careful about handling the cel, and they will most likely have the materials needed for archival framing. If not, they can order them for you. Here is a very good link on archival framing: http://www.framersworkshop.com/Animationcels/index.html I brought this link with me to my local art gallery and showed them the “Cross Section of Archivally Framed Animation Cel” diagram. They were able to order all of the materials and put the frames together without any issues. Very Happy Plus, if your cel didn't come with a background, they can help you come up with one using acid-free cardstock! Very Happy

I recommend acrylic over glass. If a glass frame shatters, it will tear the cel to shreds. Acrylic won't. UV-protection is a must if you are hanging it up on display. Both of my cels are framed with Tru Vue - Optium Museum Acrylic®️. This is not a cheap material—I want to say that I spent ~$275 framing the Viluy one—but it does the best job based on everything I've read. Very Happy The sketch on the other hand can be framed with one of those acid-free cardstock frames.

Preservation:
Keep the cel out of direct sunlight and direct artificial light (i.e. lamps), do not put it on a wall near doors or heating units. A constant room temperature is best, as fluctuating temperatures will cause the paint to contract/expand which could result in cracking. The tremors from opening and closing of a door, although subtle, could also cause the paint to peel/chip off over time. I personally keep both of my cels in my closet because my house is 90% windows and doors. XD

If I think of anything else, I will let you know!
Back to top Go down
SailorAries
Star Seed

SailorAries

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime14th July 2017, 3:18 pm

Andi, thank you so much for all the helpful tips! That seems a little too expensive for right now Sad I saw some people store them in some kind of special binder/book? How can I get one of those? Do you happen to know any details about that? I think it will be my best bet for proper storage in the short term until I can do the framing. As for the sketch, so you mean that one I could frame at the craft store? The place I usually go has always been very careful and done a fabulous job framing stuff for me.
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime14th July 2017, 3:51 pm

I am pretty sure that those binders are just scrapbooking binders or binders specifically marketed as archival. Did your cel come from the Luna Art Ebay auctions? If yes, then it probably came in one of those clear file sheets, yes? XD Long-term that is not an ideal method of storage, but I think if you keep the cel in a dark place standing upright in one of those scrapbook/archival binders it should be fine until you are able to properly frame it. Very Happy

If you trust your local craft store, I'd say go for framing the sketch. Very Happy If you were looking for a budget framing method, a lot of people like to keep their sketches in those board/cardstock frames, (idk what you call them but they are acid-free and they usually have a foamy-looking material in the middle...Maybe they are foamboard? XD). For added protection, you could have them put the framed sketch in shrink wrap, but I'm not sure if craft stores do that. If anything I'd just make sure everything is acid-free so that it does not deteriorate/discolor your sketch over time. Maybe also make sure that they aren't using tape or putty to hold the sketch down? I'm not sure what would be used in the process, but it might be a good idea to make sure whatever they plan on doing isn't going to discolor the corners or permanently adhere to the sketch.

I couldn't get at my Viluy sketch, but this is pretty close to what I'm trying to describe:
Fisheye animation cel from 1995 Ba0eef3b85481e6081815c999822da40Fisheye animation cel from 1995 C16fbaa790c42a6ab73b579efa44c9df
Back to top Go down
SailorAries
Star Seed

SailorAries

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime14th July 2017, 4:06 pm

Ohh, okay thank you! No, it came from some random person off eBay, so I literally got it as is in a paper...mailing thingie? It was just the cel and the douga together in that thing, inside a larger box with lots of padding. Idk I show it how it came in the video linked on my first post.
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime14th July 2017, 4:14 pm

Somehow, I totally forgot that you posted a link with the packaging! XD Entertaining video, by the way. I could tell that you were super excited! XD Anyway, those archival clear file sheets should be in the same aisle as the other scrapbooking supplies at whichever art/craft/hobby store you decide to check out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SailorAries
Star Seed

SailorAries

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime14th July 2017, 5:51 pm

Thanks haha, it's honestly kind of embarrassing how intense I got but I thought it was too funny not to put up XD Okay, awesome thanks so much for helping me out with this! Btw I love your sig! I had no idea Eudial was supposed to be just a high school kid though, now I feel even worse for her having flown off a cliff in the 90s version :S lol 

Also this is random but I noticed you had an amethyst cluster in a photo of your collection, do like collecting geodes and like, weird rocks? I have a decent collection of crystals/rocks, I love collecting them lol.
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime15th July 2017, 7:47 pm

Oh, no problem! And thanks! TinyKitten made it for me awhile back! I actually saw the cel for that particular 90s image of Eudial with the Fire Buster on Ebay a year ago. I would have purchased it, but it was unfortunately stuck to a really hideous random color-clashing anime background that did not match at all with the original scene, and the person selling it wanted way too much imo for its condition. The Eudial part was in good condition--no fading or bleeding lines--but that background stuck to her, man. XD Urgh. I was so disappointed because she's my favorite villain!

Quote :
Also this is random but I noticed you had an amethyst cluster in a photo of your collection, do like collecting geodes and like, weird rocks? I have a decent collection of crystals/rocks, I love collecting them lol.
I'm a geologist, so yes! I have a huge collection of things I've purchased and found myself, but that is another story. XD Don't want to get off topic after all. Razz
Back to top Go down
SailorAries
Star Seed

SailorAries

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime16th July 2017, 9:26 am

Ew, that's really too bad! :[ I was lucky to find some that weren't like, taped to each other haphazardly or put onto ugly backgrounds like that; it seems like it's surprisingly common for people to tamper with them because they don't really know what they're doing lol. Some of the prices are crazy too. Usagi cels go for like, way more than I expected, even given that she's the main character. Omg that's so cool, I want to ask you all about it XD At least tell me what's your favorite rock? I don't really know what's my favorite but I really like calcites and teal stones like Chrysocolla or Amazonite. I also really like "Aqua Aura Quartz" even though I know it's not natural. The color is so pretty.
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime23rd July 2017, 5:57 pm

SailorAries wrote:
Ew, that's really too bad! :[ I was lucky to find some that weren't like, taped to each other haphazardly or put onto ugly backgrounds like that; it seems like it's surprisingly common for people to tamper with them because they don't really know what they're doing lol.
Yeah, especially back in the '90s when we did not have easy access to that kind of information outside of a library or museum.

Quote :
Some of the prices are crazy too. Usagi cels go for like, way more than I expected, even given that she's the main character.
Right? You would think the face shots of the villains would have more collector's value since they are rarer. It amazes me how much people charge for their Usagi cels. I understand her transformation sequence ones going for a lot more money since they typically involve detailed closeups of her face, but the ones where she's off somewhere in the background? XD C'mon! $150+ seems too expensive for something like that!

Quote :
Omg that's so cool, I want to ask you all about it XD At least tell me what's your favorite rock? I don't really know what's my favorite but I really like calcites and teal stones like Chrysocolla or Amazonite. I also really like "Aqua Aura Quartz" even though I know it's not natural. The color is so pretty.
My favorite rock is garnet gneiss, and my favorite mineral is Okenite! But if you mean gem-quality minerals any member of the tourmaline group!

P.S. I found the receipt from when I had Viluy archivally framed. It said that I only paid $187. That $275 number I gave you before must have been the original price of the cel before I haggled on it. XD
Back to top Go down
SailorAries
Star Seed

SailorAries

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime28th July 2017, 2:20 pm

Quote :

Right? You would think the face shots of the villains would have more collector's value since they are rarer. It amazes me how much people charge for their Usagi cels. I understand her transformation sequence ones going for a lot more money since they typically involve detailed closeups of her face, but the ones where she's off somewhere in the background? XD C'mon! $150+ seems too expensive for something like that!

Quote :
Omg that's so cool, I want to ask you all about it XD At least tell me what's your favorite rock? I don't really know what's my favorite but I really like calcites and teal stones like Chrysocolla or Amazonite. I also really like "Aqua Aura Quartz" even though I know it's not natural. The color is so pretty.
My favorite rock is garnet gneiss, and my favorite mineral is Okenite! But if you mean gem-quality minerals any member of the tourmaline group!

P.S. I found the receipt from when I had Viluy archivally framed. It said that I only paid $187. That $275 number I gave you before must have been the original price of the cel before I haggled on it. XD
Yes, like a cel of human... uh... makaiju man... sorry I'm spacing on the name- Ail. I found a cel of him for like under 20 bucks or something which I guess was because it wasn't very dynamic, but it still seemed a little cheap.

I have both rubellite tourmaline and black tourmaline in my collection but I still haven't been able to find any watermelon tourmaline in the shops I frequent Sad I'm hesitant to go online since there are a lot of fake gemstones being sold on the internet :/ Of course, shops sell them too but it's easier to avoid. 

Ohh ok good about the framing haha, I would be pretty hesitant to shell out that much to get only the one picture framed XD
Back to top Go down
Sailor Jupiter
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director

Sailor Jupiter

Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime29th July 2017, 8:34 am

I didn't read everything in this thread but I just wanted to say that if you're going to store in a plastic sleeve of some sort, to make sure that there is separation between the cel and the plastic. Over time, the paint from the cel can become stuck to the plastic sleeve, and peel off the cel when you try to remove it Fisheye animation cel from 1995 1023433532

That's why even if you're not framing in archival materials, I'd recommend sticking this in a frame with matting for the short term. Properly cut matting will make a separation between the image and the frame to prevent any sticking and shouldn't run you more than $20. I suggest finding a local matting studio (you can also try framers, they usually cut mats) and just ask for archival, acid-free mat. They'll know what you want.

You can even cover the frame up in paper if you're just looking to store it and preserve it from light until you can have it properly preserved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fisheye animation cel from 1995   Fisheye animation cel from 1995 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fisheye animation cel from 1995

View previous topic View next topic Back to top