The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

[Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

[Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka Empty
PostSubject: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime5th January 2015, 7:30 pm

Welcome to the Character Study Discussions Thread! 

[Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka Tumblr_static_8qt3d4rikq8s0444os848so8c

Here, we can all discuss this month's character: Haruka Tenoh/Sailor Uranus!  
By discuss, I mean share our thoughts, theories, and opinions regarding Haruka's character both as a civilian and as a senshi in a polite, respectful way!
There are just a few rules that I would like you guys to follow:

1. Please stay on-topic. 
2. Be respectful of others' thoughts and opinions. It is okay to politely disagree, but there will be absolutely zero tolerance for disrespect and misbehavior regarding another's opinion.
3. No arguing. This isn't a place for debating - this is a place to share ideas and provide thoughtful input regarding this month's character.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to let me know!

Before we begin, I would like to especially emphasize four things when it comes to analyzing Haruka's character:

1.How does Haruka act as an individual on her own? What are her thoughts, how does she carry herself, what are her dreams, her weaknesses, her insecurities, her strengths?
2. How does Haruka interact with other characters in Sailor Moon canon? What does she say to others that reveals her character? What are her physical and verbal methods of communication? 
3. How do others interact with Haruka? How to canon character speak to her and act around her? In the eyes of others, how is Haruka viewed? 
4. How does Haruka handle being a senshi? Does she embrace it, or does she despise it? 

There is no right or wrong answer in this thread! Just share what you think, and consider what others think to go with it!

Let's get discussing!

[Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka 4265269158 [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka 4265269158 [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka 4265269158 [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka 4265269158 [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka 4265269158
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime7th January 2015, 10:04 am

I would first like to say that Haruka is the senshi I am able to relate to the least and I feel at times I'm still trying to understand her. So this all might be completely off especially since I haven't seen S in a while, which is where we learned most about her I think.

1. How does Haruka act as an individual on her own? What are her thoughts, how does she carry herself, what are her dreams, her weaknesses, her insecurities, her strengths?

Haruka's first appearance shows her as someone confidence with her abilities and who's pleased with where she is in the world. That's why I think she was so reluctant to hear what Michiru is saying and to accept the truth about her destiny. She's always sure about what she wants to do and never afraid to go for what she wants. Haruka is the type who acts first and thinks later. She's a doer, not a thinker.

Her dream is of course to be a famous racer, and I think she quite enjoys running as well - anything to do with speed, really, which fits her as senshi of the wind. I think her weakness is that, like mentioned before, she's not someone who can sit around and wait to figure something out. In the Stars episode where she was forced to work with Ami to solve Nehelenia's puzzle (I forgot to suggest this as an episode to watch as I think it's one of the most important episodes that displays and boils down Haruka's character to one clear image), Haruka simply cannot wait around for Ami to figure out what to do, even when running around has already been proven futile. She's the type of person who's like a bull charging at something over and over and over again even when it has no effect.

Stubborn to a fault, and sometimes she lets that stubbornness blind her. She's also not the type of person you can easily work with. In fact, if you're not Michiru, you'll probably get some challenge out of trying to work with Haruka. She's the solo fighter type, someone who's more used to being in charge and making decisions without having to consult anybody.

We see her insecurities in S where she talks with Michiru about having to kill Hotaru. She feels she's already doomed, feels that she has sinned and that her hands are dirty with Hotaru's blood already, that she doesn't deserve forgiveness or Michiru or love of any kind. She believes she's a terrible person because of what her mission makes her do.

Haruka's strength, I would say, beside being an effective fighter once you've pointed her in the right direction, is part of that stubbornness. She doesn't give up. Not until she's really down. Or when Michiru is killed, I suppose. She also has 100% dedication to her mission or what she believes she has to do, regardless of what kind of person she feels it turns her into. She will follow through, always. And when you've won her over, I'm pretty sure she'd be one of those people who's loyal to a fault.

2. How does Haruka interact with other characters in Sailor Moon canon? What does she say to others that reveals her character? What are her physical and verbal methods of communication?

The majority of Haruka's ways of communication consist of one of two things: charm or outright antagonism. There's almost no in between. Haruka's someone who wears her emotions on her sleeve. When she likes you, she will be really charming and often flirtatious, especially with girls who clearly adore her (or, well, girls in general, let's be honest). This is how she interacts with pretty much all the senshi in casual occasions. When they frustrate her, she will go on the offense, like the way she did with Mako when Mako challenged her about not helping when people were attacked and simply looked for the talisman, and when Ami insisted on taking Nehelenia's attack while trying to figure out her weak point. Then she uses words to hurt instead of to make someone feel good about themselves.

Seeing how she is either aggressive or flirtatious, I definitely see her as someone who's not afraid to say what she's thinking, and who's also concerned about appearances. I think Haruka cares a lot about appearances. That's why she tries to charm everyone despite already being with Michiru, and I think she likes that everyone thinks the Outers are these ridiculously perfect beings who come with their own set of rose petals. I completely buy the headcanon that Haruka's the most gung-ho about staging their dramatic entrances and introduction speeches. She's a girl with a big heart who's secretly a ridiculous person inside, behind all that flawless cover. And once you cross her like Seiya did, doing the big no-no by trying to flirt with Michiru? You can be sure Haruka will hold that grudge for a thousand years.

3. How do others interact with Haruka? How to canon character speak to her and act around her? In the eyes of others, how is Haruka viewed?

I think for most of the Inners, they see Haruka like this perfect, cool person which is the image she's deliberately projecting to them (and everyone else). They always speak to her with such awe and openly admire her and Michiru. I think they view her as that cool big sister type of person who holds the secret to living a flawless existence.

Michiru, of course, knows better.

4. How does Haruka handle being a senshi? Does she embrace it, or does she despise it?

As I've touched on a bit before, she initially rejected it, since I think on some level she already knows what kind of burden it will be. But when she did accept it, she accepted it 100%, along with all the consequences. She doesn't like it, she hates herself for the things she does to fulfill that duty, but she does it anyway. Finding the talismans became the most important thing in her life, something she wasn't willing to give up in favor of being happy with Michiru. Even though she didn't want the job in the first place, once she resigned herself to her destiny, you could say Haruka embraced it fully, even while despising it. And that's not an easy thing to do at all. She's loyal to her duty to the end, every time, even when it cost her her life.
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
JupiterThunderCrash
Lotus Crystal

JupiterThunderCrash

Lotus Crystal

Title : Formerly Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime7th January 2015, 10:59 am

I'll give this a whirl, even though I watched S season sometime last year, but I have the manga at home, so....

1.How does Haruka act as an individual on her own? What are her thoughts, how does she carry herself, what are her dreams, her weaknesses, her insecurities, her strengths?
Haruka is headstrong and stubborn, to keep it simple. She doesn't make the plans, but she can carry them all the way to the end. She doesn't back out of a promise or pact once it's made. But I think she matches her element in terms of temperament too. You're either with the wind or against it. Good or bad. She's all over the place in a fight, always moving around. 

This is also much like the wind. Like Mercury said, she's got about two settings in terms of people: Nice or harsh. With Haruka or against her. She flirts and acts cool and sophisticated around the younger characters, but I think she's more open with Michiru and the other Outer senshi in terms of emotional range. She won't confess her underlying doubts to others beyond a select few. I think her simplistic view of the world makes her want to keep the younger senshi away from the danger, not wanting them to sully their hands like she thinks she needs to, so she'll act ruthless to scare them off. If she can't be innocent anymore, then she wants to at least preserve theirs. 

I think the rest of my thoughts are pretty similar to Mercury's...

Her thoughts on being a senshi are probably that she hates it, but finds it a necessary evil. Someone has to do it, and it would be unfair to let Michiru fight alone, so she grabbed the pen too. It prevents her from running free like she wants to, away from responsibility.
Back to top Go down
http://scorpio-rat.tumblr.com/
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Nephrite

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime7th January 2015, 2:58 pm

4. I think there is a part of Haruka that does despise having to be a senshi, having to make all of those hard decisions. We see her upset when her and Michiru basically sacrifice Usagi to see if she has a talisman. You see her visibly upset, bringing her fist down on her car as they watch her walk in. She likes Usagi. She doesn't want to see the girl hurt, but for her, her duty does come first. She may not always like it, but she's resigned herself to the fact that she will sacrifice anyone and anything to complete those duties. 

However, once she sets her mind to something, her senshi duties, racing, running, whatever, she is incredibly focused on that goal and will let almost nothing get in her way.
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime7th January 2015, 6:16 pm

Sailor Mercury wrote:
Haruka's first appearance shows her as someone confidence with her abilities and who's pleased with where she is in the world. That's why I think she was so reluctant to hear what Michiru is saying and to accept the truth about her destiny. She's always sure about what she wants to do and never afraid to go for what she wants. Haruka is the type who acts first and thinks later. She's a doer, not a thinker.

Her dream is of course to be a famous racer, and I think she quite enjoys running as well - anything to do with speed, really, which fits her as senshi of the wind. I think her weakness is that, like mentioned before, she's not someone who can sit around and wait to figure something out. In the Stars episode where she was forced to work with Ami to solve Nehelenia's puzzle (I forgot to suggest this as an episode to watch as I think it's one of the most important episodes that displays and boils down Haruka's character to one clear image), Haruka simply cannot wait around for Ami to figure out what to do, even when running around has already been proven futile. She's the type of person who's like a bull charging at something over and over and over again even when it has no effect.

I could not agree with this more. Haruka is definitely a doer, and this is proved in multiple episodes of the anime. One instance that really stuck out to me was that moment you mentioned in Stars (and yes, we will be watching that one during tomorrow's livestream Wink ) That moment was sort of a shock to Uranus, who was, as you said, a doer.
When Haruka had to choose between her dream or her destiny, I think the main issue was her stubbornness, and how she didn't want to give up that dream that was right in front of her. This reminds me a lot of Disney's Tangled. Flynn Rider spent his whole life dreaming of a life of luxury and riches, and he didn't care for much else. It wasn't until he met Rapunzel that he realized there was something better out there for him, and he tossed all of his selfish dreams away and made Rapunzel his new dream. I think Haruka does the exact same thing with Michiru. If she couldn't have her dream, at least she had Michiru.

Sailor Mercury wrote:
Stubborn to a fault, and sometimes she lets that stubbornness blind her. She's also not the type of person you can easily work with. In fact, if you're not Michiru, you'll probably get some challenge out of trying to work with Haruka. She's the solo fighter type, someone who's more used to being in charge and making decisions without having to consult anybody.

Yes! That was something about her I hated as a kid. She was always pushing the senshi away and being rude to them, because honestly she was very conceited towards the beginning. She knew that her powers were stronger than theirs, and she didn't want to waste any time on them because they were weaker, in both strength and resolve. Now that I'm older, I'm trying to see past that and find out why Haruka was/is like that, and it's still a sort of mystery to me. I do, however, really take into consideration how Haruka very briefly allowed Usagi to be her Michiru - the person she could work with in perfect harmony. That episode (98 of the sub) showed two different sides of Haruka, and I really liked that.

Sailor Mercury wrote:
We see her insecurities in S where she talks with Michiru about having to kill Hotaru. She feels she's already doomed, feels that she has sinned and that her hands are dirty with Hotaru's blood already, that she doesn't deserve forgiveness or Michiru or love of any kind. She believes she's a terrible person because of what her mission makes her do.

Haruka's strength, I would say, beside being an effective fighter once you've pointed her in the right direction, is part of that stubbornness. She doesn't give up. Not until she's really down. Or when Michiru is killed, I suppose. She also has 100% dedication to her mission or what she believes she has to do, regardless of what kind of person she feels it turns her into. She will follow through, always. And when you've won her over, I'm pretty sure she'd be one of those people who's loyal to a fault.

THIS IS PERFECT. Haruka's stubbornness is such an annoying thing, but it's also what makes her the loyal, pure-hearted person she is.

Sailor Mercury wrote:
The majority of Haruka's ways of communication consist of one of two things: charm or outright antagonism. There's almost no in between. Haruka's someone who wears her emotions on her sleeve.

This is actually really interesting. I never really thought of Haruka as someone who wore her emotions on her sleeve. The way I saw it, I believed her to be someone who pretended to be strong, stoic, and even charming. Of course, she was naturally flirtatious and not afraid to show it, but at the same time, I feel like she also hid a lot from people. Like her feelings regarding taking the pure heart crystals from three innocents. It was clear she hated herself for it, but she never voiced that out loud. At that part where she looks at her hands, she never says that her hands are dirty. But Michiru knows exactly what she's thinking. I think that Haruka is half-and-half when it comes to wearing her emotions on her sleeve.

Sailor Mercury wrote:
Seeing how she is either aggressive or flirtatious, I definitely see her as someone who's not afraid to say what she's thinking, and who's also concerned about appearances. I think Haruka cares a lot about appearances. That's why she tries to charm everyone despite already being with Michiru, and I think she likes that everyone thinks the Outers are these ridiculously perfect beings who come with their own set of rose petals. I completely buy the headcanon that Haruka's the most gung-ho about staging their dramatic entrances and introduction speeches. She's a girl with a big heart who's secretly a ridiculous person inside, behind all that flawless cover. And once you cross her like Seiya did, doing the big no-no by trying to flirt with Michiru? You can be sure Haruka will hold that grudge for a thousand years.

Yes, yes, a billion times YES XD

Sailor Mercury wrote:
She's loyal to her duty to the end, every time, even when it cost her her life.

What are your thoughts on this? I completely agree with you, but sometimes I wonder. Would Haruka abandon her duty for the sake of another person? Michiru, Hotaru, Usagi? She has abandoned those she loves in the past, and so I sometimes wonder whether or not she would do it again. I think that after S, she would not, but then again, she did kill Pluto and Saturn in Stars. Of course that was a plan, but even so, it still happened.

JupiterThunderCrash wrote:
Haruka is headstrong and stubborn, to keep it simple. She doesn't make the plans, but she can carry them all the way to the end. She doesn't back out of a promise or pact once it's made. But I think she matches her element in terms of temperament too. You're either with the wind or against it. Good or bad. She's all over the place in a fight, always moving around.

Oooh, I like this analogy to the wind! I actually never thought of it that way. Very nice! Very Happy

I think her simplistic view of the world makes her want to keep the younger senshi away from the danger, not wanting them to sully their hands like she thinks she needs to, so she'll act ruthless to scare them off. If she can't be innocent anymore, then she wants to at least preserve theirs.

This is another point I have never really thought of before! I always thought Haruka avoided the younger senshi because she deemed they would be a burden, always holding her back with their morals and their weaker powers. But this is also another possibility, and I really like where your thoughts are.

Her thoughts on being a senshi are probably that she hates it, but finds it a necessary evil. Someone has to do it, and it would be unfair to let Michiru fight alone, so she grabbed the pen too. It prevents her from running free like she wants to, away from responsibility.

Do you think Haruka would have become a senshi if Michiru were to never have appeared in canon? I'd like to see where your thoughts are on this Smile

Addelyn wrote:
4. I think there is a part of Haruka that does despise having to be a senshi, having to make all of those hard decisions. We see her upset when her and Michiru basically sacrifice Usagi to see if she has a talisman. You see her visibly upset, bringing her fist down on her car as they watch her walk in. She likes Usagi. She doesn't want to see the girl hurt, but for her, her duty does come first. She may not always like it, but she's resigned herself to the fact that she will sacrifice anyone and anything to complete those duties. 

I completely agree with you on this. However, I have a question for you. Let's say after the events in Stars, Haruka is given another mission to complete in which she must sacrifice some lives for the sake of the world. Do you think, if the moment arose, she would sacrifice Usagi again? Would she sacrifice anyone, for that matter?
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime7th January 2015, 11:42 pm

Miss Moon Rose wrote:
This is actually really interesting. I never really thought of Haruka as someone who wore her emotions on her sleeve. The way I saw it, I believed her to be someone who pretended to be strong, stoic, and even charming. Of course, she was naturally flirtatious and not afraid to show it, but at the same time, I feel like she also hid a lot from people. Like her feelings regarding taking the pure heart crystals from three innocents. It was clear she hated herself for it, but she never voiced that out loud. At that part where she looks at her hands, she never says that her hands are dirty. But Michiru knows exactly what she's thinking. I think that Haruka is half-and-half when it comes to wearing her emotions on her sleeve.

You are probably right, I don't think she wears her emotions on her sleeve 100% of the time. She's not afraid to show them when she dislikes someone, but for people she likes, she seems to be more reserved or trying to put on a certain kind of appearance. Perhaps when it comes to people she dislikes, she doesn't care about their opinions, but she cares very much about the opinion of those she likes.

Miss Moon Rose wrote:
What are your thoughts on this? I completely agree with you, but sometimes I wonder. Would Haruka abandon her duty for the sake of another person? Michiru, Hotaru, Usagi? She has abandoned those she loves in the past, and so I sometimes wonder whether or not she would do it again. I think that after S, she would not, but then again, she did kill Pluto and Saturn in Stars. Of course that was a plan, but even so, it still happened.

I think that she did change somewhat since S. I think she'd be less inclined to sacrifice people after that arc, knowing what Usagi could do. What she did in Stars is kind of different. That was strategy. She completely believes, I think, that Usagi would be able to bring Pluto and Saturn back. Pluto and Saturn understood this as well and so went along with the plan. I think Haruka did it completely with the plan for them all to make it in the end. Whether it's through her and Michiru beating Galaxia, or Usagi. I think she has complete faith in Usagi by this point.

Michiru is a different thing, though. I know for Michiru's side, she would never sacrifice Haruka for anything, which is demonstrated clearly in the Special episode where she called that bad guy's bluff and stated "A world without Haruka is not a world worth saving." I don't know if Haruka shares this same view. Michiru was the one who died first in S during that talisman debacle. Would Haruka have let her die willingly if she found out Michiru had the talisman all along before she was killed?
Back to top Go down
JupiterThunderCrash
Lotus Crystal

JupiterThunderCrash

Lotus Crystal

Title : Formerly Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime8th January 2015, 12:06 am

Miss Moon Rose wrote:
This is another point I have never really thought of before! I always thought Haruka avoided the younger senshi because she deemed they would be a burden, always holding her back with their morals and their weaker powers. But this is also another possibility, and I really like where your thoughts are.

I think that was just the excuse Haruka tells herself to justify being mean to them, but subconsciously, she's thinking of herself back in that garage with Sailor Neptune and the Daimon. The inner senshi are already senshi, but they don't need to be murderers too, so she's kind of become the "Neptune" in this situation and is trying to get them to run away.

Miss Moon Rose wrote:
Do you think Haruka would have become a senshi if Michiru were to never have appeared in canon? I'd like to see where your thoughts are on this Smile

At that point in time, before Haruka got some development, no, there's a good chance she wouldn't have ever transformed. She was so focused on not having responsibility and being the untouchable wind, that she would have turned away from the Daimon and let someone else deal with it. Not because she's a bad person, but she needed that push that was Michiru's life hanging in the balance to stop thinking about only her own happiness for a few moments. She'd basically get bystander syndrome is what I'm trying to say. XD
Back to top Go down
http://scorpio-rat.tumblr.com/
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime8th January 2015, 10:34 am

Miss Moon Rose wrote:

Addelyn wrote:

I completely agree with you on this. However, I have a question for you. Let's say after the events in Stars, Haruka is given another mission to complete in which she must sacrifice some lives for the sake of the world. Do you think, if the moment arose, she would sacrifice Usagi again? Would she sacrifice anyone, for that matter?

Her duty as I see it now that the talismans have been found and she has accepted Usagi as her Princess and future Queen is protecting Usagi at all costs. She is willing to sacrifice almost anyone including Michiru and even herself in the pursuit of her duty.

You see this in the Stars arc. She and Neptune pretend to go dark side in order to take out Galaxia so Sailor Moon wouldn't have to confront the woman and put herself needlessly in harms way as she is known to do. She's aware that her death causes her Princess pain but in her eyes, its worth it as Usagi is still alive.

I say almost because as her loyal soldier, Usagis happiness and well being are also a high priority for her. If a situation ever arose let's say the inners have been corrupt, I think Uranus may look for an alternative to initially killing them as she knows how much it would hurt Usagi, but I think in the end if there was no other option, she would do it, in order to keep Usagi alive.

I think the main difference is before she would have done it with little thought, but now, she'll try and find a less sacrificial route first but in the end she will do it if she believes its the last option available to her.
Back to top Go down
whitehexe
Pyramidal Crystal

whitehexe

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime8th January 2015, 2:19 pm

@jupiterthundercrash said it really well "You're either with the wind or against it"

This goes for Uranus/Haruka in SO many ways. The people she is close with, she is really close with. Everyone else she distances herself from. In her mission, to get the talismans, thats also how she viewed the inner senshi - if they weren't WITH her, they were clearly her enemy/against her.

And her loyalty... I find ALL of the senshi loyal, but Uranus seems to take it to a whole other level, even though at times she seems troubled by the choices her loyalty causes her to make (like killing Hotaru, etc) The romantic in me wants to see Michiru as her only weakness to this strict loyalty to her duty... but I really do question on if she would kill Michiru if she knew she had the talisman. She wouldn't like it, at all... but would she still do it? I can almost picture her doing it without thinking about the consequences until after...
Back to top Go down
https://travelinggeta.blogspot.com/ http://whitehexe.tumblr.com/
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime9th January 2015, 11:53 pm

Sailor Mercury wrote:
Would Haruka have let her die willingly if she found out Michiru had the talisman all along before she was killed?

This is a very, very insightful question that, if you don't mind, I would like to save for an event that will be happening later this month Smile I'm finding it very difficult myself to decide, hehe.

Miss Moon Rose wrote:

I think that was just the excuse Haruka tells herself to justify being mean to them, but subconsciously, she's thinking of herself back in that garage with Sailor Neptune and the Daimon. The inner senshi are already senshi, but they don't need to be murderers too, so she's kind of become the "Neptune" in this situation and is trying to get them to run away.

Awesome analogy! You're good at getting into characters' heads!

Addelyn wrote:
I say almost because as her loyal soldier, Usagis happiness and well being are also a high priority for her. If a situation ever arose let's say the inners have been corrupt, I think Uranus may look for an alternative to initially killing them as she knows how much it would hurt Usagi, but I think in the end if there was no other option, she would do it, in order to keep Usagi alive.

I think the main difference is before she would have done it with little thought, but now, she'll try and find a less sacrificial route first but in the end she will do it if she believes its the last option available to her.

This is very interesting! Isn't it remarkable how Haruka's opinion of Usagi changes so much between the end of S and Stars? I especially like what you said about Haruka killing the inners if they were corrupted. I like where your head is at!

whitehexe wrote:
@jupiterthundercrash said it really well "You're either with the wind or against it"

This goes for Uranus/Haruka in SO many ways. The people she is close with, she is really close with. Everyone else she distances herself from. In her mission, to get the talismans, thats also how she viewed the inner senshi - if they weren't WITH her, they were clearly her enemy/against her.

This is another great way of looking at it! I would just like to clarify, but do you mean that since the inner senshi were against Haruka's method of saving the world, the inners were her enemies?

whitehexe wrote:
And her loyalty... I find ALL of the senshi loyal, but Uranus seems to take it to a whole other level, even though at times she seems troubled by the choices her loyalty causes her to make (like killing Hotaru, etc) The romantic in me wants to see Michiru as her only weakness to this strict loyalty to her duty... but I really do question on if she would kill Michiru if she knew she had the talisman. She wouldn't like it, at all... but would she still do it? I can almost picture her doing it without thinking about the consequences until after...

This is a very thought-provoking question, and I wondered the same thing until reading Sailor Mercury's most recent post in this thread:

Sailor Mercury wrote:
I think that she did change somewhat since S. I think she'd be less inclined to sacrifice people after that arc, knowing what Usagi could do. What she did in Stars is kind of different. That was strategy. She completely believes, I think, that Usagi would be able to bring Pluto and Saturn back. Pluto and Saturn understood this as well and so went along with the plan. I think Haruka did it completely with the plan for them all to make it in the end. Whether it's through her and Michiru beating Galaxia, or Usagi. I think she has complete faith in Usagi by this point.

Michiru is a different thing, though. I know for Michiru's side, she would never sacrifice Haruka for anything, which is demonstrated clearly in the Special episode where she called that bad guy's bluff and stated "A world without Haruka is not a world worth saving." I don't know if Haruka shares this same view. Michiru was the one who died first in S during that talisman debacle. Would Haruka have let her die willingly if she found out Michiru had the talisman all along before she was killed?

So, after reading that, what are you thinking, whitehexe? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 12:39 am

Miss Moon Rose wrote:
Sailor Mercury wrote:
Would Haruka have let her die willingly if she found out Michiru had the talisman all along before she was killed?

This is a very, very insightful question that, if you don't mind, I would like to save for an event that will be happening later this month Smile I'm finding it very difficult myself to decide, hehe.

I don't mind at all! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 12:54 am

Great! I've been taking a lot of the things seen and discussed and adding them to my plans for upcoming weeks Smile Thank you for your input! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
OuterHarmonie23
Pyramidal Crystal

OuterHarmonie23

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 1:02 pm

Miss Moon Rose wrote:
3. How do others interact with Haruka? How do canon character speak to her and act around her? In the eyes of others, how is Haruka viewed? 
[I changed the color to make it a bit easier to read.]

I agree with many things a lot of others have said in this thread, but I wanted to tackle the one question that seemed to be touched upon less than the others.

I feel Usagi interacts with Haruku pretty much the same way she acts around everyone else. Meaning that Usagi sees the best in Haruka and is generally her friendly, clumsy, optimistic self.

The Inner Senshi all seem to respect and look up to her, even when she's casting them off. From an anime standpoint, I wouldn't say they necessarily go to her for advice, but more just admiration and affection. Every time the Outers come back, the Inners + Moon always appear genuinely excited. They seem to have patience for her stubbornness also, especially Mercury as shown through their pairing in Stars. [[Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka 2869872805 at forgetting about the Live Stream]

Michiru probably has the most unique method of interacting with Haruka, as she knows Haruka better than anyone else and also what she can get away with by chiding or making of her.

One thing that's kind of related is that in the S season, the Outers are referred to as "Sailor Uranus' group" several times once everyone's identities are revealed to each other. However, I never thought Haruka necessarily had the personality to be the one calling all of the shots and making the plans. Perhaps the others called the Outers as such because Haruka was the most dominant personality, but I always felt Michiru and Setsuna were the ones making more rational suggestions to direct Haruka's energy.
Back to top Go down
http://greengemini23.tumblr.com
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 1:10 pm

OuterHarmonie23 wrote:
One thing that's kind of related is that in the S season, the Outers are referred to as "Sailor Uranus' group" several times once everyone's identities are revealed to each other. However, I never thought Haruka necessarily had the personality to be the one calling all of the shots and making the plans. Perhaps the others called the Outers as such because Haruka was the most dominant personality, but I always felt Michiru and Setsuna were the ones making more rational suggestions to direct Haruka's energy.

Ooh, this is actually something I have never thought of! Thank you for bringing this up!

I think they would refer to the Outers as Sailor Uranus's group because she is, as you said, the most "dominant" personality. She knows what she wants, and hardly anything can persuade her away from it. I actually do think the is the leader of the Outers, simply because the others seem to follow her. In S, Sailor Neptune would always ask Uranus what she wanted to do, and then do it. Although Neptune would sometimes try and persuade Uranus otherwise, she always ended up doing as Uranus said. Pluto I would say is the next option when it comes to being leader, because she is very professional and highly respected. But she can't really lead, because she is the Guardian of Time and she kind of knows everything. Saturn, of course, is a kid and she's not really fit to be leader, despite her wisdom and power. Sailor Uranus is just the best fit, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
OuterHarmonie23
Pyramidal Crystal

OuterHarmonie23

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 2:46 pm

My only counter is from the Uranus and Neptune flashback episode in S. Haruka was against killing before she activated until Michiru explained to her that the mission may require killing, so I feel like Michiru makes more of the plans off-screen but will follow Haruka's lead when a split second decision needs to be made.
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 3:09 pm

I do personally view Uranus as the de facto of the outers in the same way that Venus leads the inners.
Back to top Go down
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 3:19 pm

OuterHarmonie23 wrote:
My only counter is from the Uranus and Neptune flashback episode in S. Haruka was against killing before she activated until Michiru explained to her that the mission may require killing, so I feel like Michiru makes more of the plans off-screen but will follow Haruka's lead when a split second decision needs to be made.

You make a very good point! Thank you for your input! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin

Sailor Neptune

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 8:47 pm

I don't personally see the Outers as having a true leader. Maybe Haruka seems like it because she's the most dominant one, but she is not a planner. (I actually think if all decisions are left up to her, it'll be a right disaster) Michiru is, Setsuna is (especially because of her knowledge), and Hotaru... well, I see her as more of a planner than Haruka too considering the responsibility and power she wields. Most people see her as a kid but as she is portrayed in Stars, you can see she is not. She is prepared to kill herself if that's what it takes to take down Nehelenia. That's not a kid's way of thinking.

But yeah, this is more of a tangent, but since the Outers have such different jobs to begin with, I don't see them as a unit that functions cohesively like the Inners and thus needs a leader. They can work together if they want to, but they each stand for very different things. Haruka and Michiru are the ones who have anything in common, and I've always seen them as equals. Michiru fools you into thinking she's the passive one in the relationship, but you need only to dig a bit deeper to see she's the one who's in control, always.
Back to top Go down
OuterHarmonie23
Pyramidal Crystal

OuterHarmonie23

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 9:09 pm

^All the "Michiru, The Un-cornerable" fanart!!!
Back to top Go down
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 10:38 pm

I do agree with you Mercury. The leadership in a sense is shared between the girls but when it comes to like someone facing the badguy and speaking for the group, that would definitely be Haruka. I guess in a sense she is more the "face" of the Outers in terms of the leader. A figurehead would perhaps be a better term.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka   [Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Class] Character Study Discussions ~January: Haruka

View previous topic View next topic Back to top