The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Video quality of Viz release?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime26th February 2015, 12:49 pm

well it would just be a 2nd printing release, kinda like what they do with books. But i guess it would take money to fix it.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime26th February 2015, 1:49 pm

I own part one and the ratio doesn't bother me on my computer. However I haven't tried it on my TV. I have a box TV in my room so I bet it looks fine. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime26th February 2015, 6:48 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Thats REALLY dumb... the made a mistake with the first set not having it fullscreen. They ought to fix it. ._. CONSISTANCY. Does any professional company follow that anymore??? D:
In fairness to Viz, this is a problem with a lot of companies these days who try to change the aspect ratio to make old shows fit modern TVs.  I bought the original Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer on DVD last Christmas and the new DVD release of it had pillarboxed the video too.   My copies of the NIS DVD release of Cardcaptor Sakura have been pillarboxed too. 

Quote :
I own part one and the ratio doesn't bother me on my computer. However I haven't tried it on my TV. I have a box TV in my room so I bet it looks fine
I have a flat screen TV and when I watch the Part 1 release, it puts these annoying black bars on the left and right side of the screen and on the top and bottom too which wasn't on my copy of the old ADV release.  It's fine when I watch it dubbed because I can just press the zoom button but it's hard to read the subtitles when I watch the Japanese version zoomed in so I'm glad they decided to make the rest of the sets fullscreen at least.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime26th February 2015, 6:59 pm

OH THOSE BLACK BARS!!  Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 1637294219

Yeah I get them while playing the DVDs on my computer. My Golden Girls DVDs do that too. Honestly that doesn't bother me. XD
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime26th February 2015, 8:28 pm

Goddess Yami wrote:

Yeah I get them while playing the DVDs on my computer. My Golden Girls DVDs do that too. Honestly that doesn't bother me. XD
Black bars? Like the kind you get when watching widescreen or some different kind of black bars I need to look out for? I'm seriously considering buying the DVDs, so I'd like to know all the info I can get.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime26th February 2015, 8:29 pm

it looks like this
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime27th February 2015, 8:34 am

Oh man. At least it could be worse. Do you know if it happens on tvs?
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime27th February 2015, 12:13 pm

It shows up on my flat screen TV and they just don't appear on the side but on the top and bottom too.  If Viz does a second printing of the first set, I imagine it probably won't be until they're finished with releasing the other seasons since they're probably too busy working on the next sets to go back and fix all the problems with the first one.  It's not like the old ADV set where it was just one disc that had a video glitch for one of the episodes and it was easier to just do a disc exchange.  The Viz set still looks ten times better than the old ADV set even with all the Viz set's problems.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime27th February 2015, 12:14 pm

I guess I'm the only one not bothered by the bars? Razz
Back to top Go down
JupiterThunderCrash
Lotus Crystal

JupiterThunderCrash

Lotus Crystal

Title : Formerly Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime27th February 2015, 12:30 pm

Nah, I'm okay with the effect, I just change the TV size ratio to make them smaller. XD
Back to top Go down
http://scorpio-rat.tumblr.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime27th February 2015, 1:09 pm

I'm not crazy about widescreen on Flat Tvs these days. Things can get cut off and it annoys me greatly.
Back to top Go down
Juliko
Lotus Crystal

Juliko

Lotus Crystal

Title : Current obsession: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime4th April 2015, 4:12 am

I don't really mind Viz's release quality. They had to work with what they got, and it's gotta be better than those old ADV sets, so I don't mind. I'm just happy we get a good quality Sailor Moon release at all.
Back to top Go down
http://firechick12012.deviantart.com
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime4th April 2015, 9:04 pm

Cosmos-Hime wrote:
Goddess Yami wrote:

Black bars? Like the kind you get when watching widescreen or some different kind of black bars I need to look out for? I'm seriously considering buying the DVDs, so I'd like to know all the info I can get.
Okay, I just read this whole thread in about 2 hours.  And I'm wondering about one specific detail of the DVD set that seems to have not been answered here.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind at all if the black bars were only on the left and right sides of the screen; I've seen other TV shows this way on my old box TV (that I've since thrown away due to the buttons not working correctly and me just not being interested in watching TV shows on a TV as opposed to a computer web site), and never seen any problem.  But Neon Genesis's comments give me pause.  I don't want the black bars to be on all four sides - that must be completely unnecessary and shrink the image more than I'd like.

Now I'd plan to watch these DVDs on my desktop computer (that has a flat-screen monitor) - note that my computer cannot play Blu-Rays, just DVDs.  So it sounds like I'd be watching them similar to the way Goddess Yami has.  So, Yami, where are these black bars?  Only on two opposite sides, or on all four sides?
Back to top Go down
http://mistress9shideout.forumotion.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime5th April 2015, 11:58 am

This is what I see on my computer screen:

Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 Untitl11

Sometimes the subs for signs will go off the screen. I honestly don't care. XD
Back to top Go down
JupiterThunderCrash
Lotus Crystal

JupiterThunderCrash

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime5th April 2015, 12:00 pm

The subs sometimes cut off on yours? That's never happened to me on my dvd player...
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime5th April 2015, 12:01 pm

No it doesn't cut off. I just goes over the black part of the screen. That's for signs. I have no idea what the actual subs do because I watch it English.
Back to top Go down
JupiterThunderCrash
Lotus Crystal

JupiterThunderCrash

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime5th April 2015, 12:08 pm

I just watched with subs yesterday on a tv, they show up on the picture and not in the black area.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime5th April 2015, 12:17 pm

I'm watching it on my computer monitor which actually a TV. *shrugs* I don't care. XD
Back to top Go down
mercuryfan
Lotus Crystal

mercuryfan

Lotus Crystal

Title : techno-geek senshi | A GC official lover of Sailor Mercury (duh) and Sailor Pluto | The GC Official Viluy

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime5th April 2015, 1:12 pm

Ah, thank you, Goddess Yami.  That was definitely informative, and answered my question.
Back to top Go down
http://mistress9shideout.forumotion.com/
Lyssarie
Lotus Crystal

Lyssarie

Lotus Crystal

Title : Alyssa ~ Frappucino Enthusiast and Feels Expert

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime19th April 2015, 7:11 pm

One of my friends bought me the second half of season 1 on DVD, and I really enjoy it! I can watch the original subbed version with english subtitles, the english version with japanese subtitles, and the new dubbed version. The individual dvd's have cute pictures, and the quality is just really nice. I'm excited to get the rest of the set Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.missmoonrose.tumblr.com
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime23rd April 2015, 3:53 pm

I entered the Moonlight Party 3 trivia question and I actually won and I won a free copy of the Sailor Moon season 1 part 2 Blu Ray boxset!   I got the limited coin and limited stationary cards with the Shittenou and some posters they sent me so I'm very excited!  I don't have a Blu Ray yet so I'll have to finally upgrade to Blu Ray and I'll have to post my comparison of the Blu Ray and DVD quality when I finally get to watch it.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime23rd April 2015, 4:27 pm

Wow!! Lucky you! Congrats and let us know how it compares when you finally get a blu ray player (dunno how much used PS3s are these days compared to just a bluray player but they used to be cheaper than buying a blu ray player.)
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime23rd April 2015, 8:25 pm

Thanks!  I was surprised I won something at all so I was even more surprised I won the Blu Ray set!   I was expecting to get something like a tshirt or posters or something so this was really great!
Back to top Go down
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime10th May 2015, 12:23 pm

I finally got a Blu Ray player this past week and just got it set up this weekend so now I've finally gotten a chance to watch some of the Sailor Moon season 1 Part 2 Blu Ray set I won from Viz.  Comparing it to Viz's DVD version, honestly the quality doesn't look that drastically different from the DVD version.   I'm up to episode 27 now and so far there's only been two scenes on the first disc where I did notice some issues that weren't on the DVD.  There was one scene in episode 25 where Usagi first uses the Moon Stick and you do see these dot things that show up when she throws the Stick in the air for a few seconds.   And in episode 26, there's this blue light thing that shows up right after the episode ends before it transitions to the next episode.   But by and large, the quality again doesn't seem much worse than the DVD version and for the majority of the episodes, I so far haven't noticed too many drastic or obvious issues.   Maybe the problems people had with the set will show up more on the other discs or maybe it was mostly only an issue with the Part 1 set.  I'll have to get a BD copy of that sometime to see how it compares to my DVD copy.   But while it's not the greatest remastering I've seen, it honestly looks fine to me for a 20 year old magical girl show for kids.   Maybe the issues show up if you're freeze framing every five seconds or something to nitpick it apart but I think it works just fine if you're watching it casually like most people who watch movies and TV shows do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Video quality of Viz release?   Video quality of Viz release? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Video quality of Viz release?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top