The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

Senior Member  Saturn Emeritus

Title : (∩`-´)⊃━☆゚.*・。magical weirdo, Original Saturn

Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series Empty
PostSubject: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime8th October 2013, 11:49 pm

Please, any spoilers pertaining to the books, please please please PLEASE put them in spoiler code. No one likes spoilers.

Like this:

Anyway, you know those people (pretty much everyone) who are head over heals for Harry Potter? Well I never got into Harry Potter, but instead I am in love with what I call the "Percy Jackson Series".

The books involving Percy Jackson are actually made up of 9 books so far, soon to be 10 next year. These books are broken up into 2 series, each containing 5 books. 

More about the Books. Minimal Spoilers:

Movies vs the Books... Major Spoilers:

Today, The House of Hades came out. I am currently reading it. Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series 1955989781
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
Batgirl
Lotus Crystal

Batgirl

Lotus Crystal

Title : Batgirl, Batgirl, watcha gonna do?~Dubbed Sailor Potassium Monkey~

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime27th November 2013, 12:09 pm

I read the 1st set, I haven't read the 2nd set. I've seen both movies, can't wait for the next one to come out! Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series 3186387542
Back to top Go down
http://theofficialbatgirl.tumblr.com http://theofficialbatgirl.tumblr.com/
Nico
Lotus Crystal

Nico

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Rei Hino/Sailor Mars | Kunzite's Lover

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime26th November 2014, 2:35 pm

OMG!
I read Percy Jackson & the Olympians and I like, but the The heroes of Olympus I don't know if I like, because I'm afraid to be boring @@
Back to top Go down
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime26th November 2014, 4:04 pm

Do it! I still have the last book and a half to read, but OMG... the feels ;__;
Back to top Go down
http://vibrantthinking.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/YumiSplash?feature=mhee
Juliko
Lotus Crystal

Juliko

Lotus Crystal

Title : Current obsession: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime31st December 2014, 8:20 am

I own the first set of the books, but only two books from The Heroes of Olympus. I REALLY need to get back to it.
Back to top Go down
http://firechick12012.deviantart.com
Yumi
Saturn Emeritus

Yumi

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime3rd January 2015, 6:35 pm

I really need to finish the last 2 books.

Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series 2869872805
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime21st February 2018, 8:14 am

I finished the first series months ago and I am still a huge fan of it. I also kinda saw the movies, though I say kinda because it was on tv and I sometimes could not stay on the station to watch the story be mistold in such a horrible fashion. I mean, it is not impossible to have an adaptation change things from source material and still do well (ex. 90s Sailor Moon), but this was just bad.

As for heroes, I tried the first book and attempted to continue into the second but it didn't take. The fandom keeps me informed but I just didn't have the energy by then for a second series.

Anyways, I really love mythology, and these stories really helped me get my fill. Plus the characters and stories were just awesome. I highly recommend giving these a read.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Beryl Dark
Star Seed

Beryl Dark

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime12th March 2018, 1:18 pm

They're making a third movie??

I read the first series a few years ago, at some point I had hard copies of those books too, but I seem to be unable to find them. I'm a huge fan of mythology, so these books totally play into my love of all that.

The movies were ok, imo the first was much better than the second, however I do understand that some stuff just doesn't translate will from a mental image with lots of description to a visual image.
Back to top Go down
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime12th March 2018, 1:45 pm

Beryl Dark wrote:
They're making a third movie??
Where did you hear that?
Back to top Go down
Beryl Dark
Star Seed

Beryl Dark

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime12th March 2018, 8:25 pm

Batgirl wrote:
I read the 1st set, I haven't read the 2nd set. I've seen both movies, can't wait for the next one to come out! Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series 3186387542
 This made me think they were making a third movie. I may have misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime27th March 2018, 10:44 am

Batgirl's response was from 2013 XD. I wonder if there was a rumour going around at the time? I haven't even heard of this series until now! I'll have to look into it! I like stuff with mythology worked in as well. It's part of what keeps me coming back to Sailor Moon~. I'll definitely go with the books after reading your thoughts. Are the sets standalone enough that I could read the second without having read the first one?
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime27th March 2018, 11:00 am

Diagnosed wrote:
Batgirl's response was from 2013 XD. I wonder if there was a rumour going around at the time? I haven't even heard of this series until now! I'll have to look into it! I like stuff with mythology worked in as well. It's part of what keeps me coming back to Sailor Moon~. I'll definitely go with the books after reading your thoughts. Are the sets standalone enough that I could read the second without having read the first one?
I'm not sure if a third film was planned. I didn't become a fan of the series until long after the last movie was released.

I'm so glad you're interested. If you like stuff with mythology, you certainly won't have to look far in this series (specifically for Greek mythology). I certainly learned a lot of myths that I did not even know about before reading it, and it was fun to figure them out for myself.

Unfortunately, these books do have an order to them, so you might miss a few details if you skip around. But I never felt like I dreaded having to get through one book to reach the other in rereads. I hope you have fun, should you choose to read them.

[[Note: Just as a reference, so you know the book order is: 1)The Lightning Thief, 2)Sea of Monsters, 3)The Titan's Curse, 4)Battle of the Labyrinth, and 5)The Last Olympian.]]
Back to top Go down
Prince Triton
Pyramidal Crystal

Prince Triton

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime27th March 2018, 2:46 pm

Diagnosed wrote:
DO IT! You'll never regret it, they're really good the original series at least. and you'll never tire of reading them! In fact, I am rereading them right now!!!
The only downside is the continuity. While it has some little discontinuities here and there and the first ones even give an explanation of what happened in the previous one, it gets so bad that a MAJOR plot point of the second series has continuity with one of the COMPANION SHORT STORIES not gonna tell you which MWAHAHAHAHA of the original series, and you'll never completely understand it without reading them.

And if you are thinking of reading PJO&HOO, you should really consider reading their fledging sequel, Trials of Apollo, and their sister-series: The Kane Chronicles (about Egyptian Mythology) and Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (duh). They share the same universe and Magnus Chase actually has an explicit continuity with the others so here is the recommended reading order:

1. Percy Jackson and the Olympians

1. The Lighting Thief.
    2. The Sea of Monsters.
    3. The Titan's Curse.
    4. The Battle of the Labyrinth.
    5. The Last Olympian.

2. The Demigod Files, (companion stories, take place before/during/after Percy Jackson and the Olympians.)

3. The Heroes of Olympus

1. The Lost Hero. 
    2. The Son of Neptune.
    3. The Mark of Athena.
    4. The House of Hades.
    5. The Blood of Olympus.

4. The Demigod Diaries (another collection of short stories, from The Heroes of Olympus)

5. The Kane Chronicles

1. The Red Pyramid.
    2. The Throne of Fire.
    3. The Serpent's Shadow.

6. Demigods and Magicians (crossovers between the Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus and the The Kane Chronicles cast, canonically set after HOO)

1. The Son of Sobek.
    2. The Staff of Serapis.
    3. The Crown of Ptolemy.

7. The Trials of Apollo and Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard (should be read together, as they happen simultaneously and reference each other)

1. The Sword of Summer. (Magnus Chase)
    2. The Hidden Oracle (Trials)
    3. The Hammer of Thor. (Magnus Chase)
    4. The Dark Prophecy (Trials)
    5. The Ship of the Dead (Magnus Chase, final book)
    6. The Burning Maze (Trials, upcoming book)

Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime28th March 2018, 12:58 am

Oh my lord, that's a huge list.

I'm aware of the series but I've been on the fence about it. I do love myth but I'm always a bit wary about people reinventing them into a modern context. I'll check it out myself.
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
knowall7
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime28th March 2018, 5:10 am

chrissifniotis wrote:

I'm aware of the series but I've been on the fence about it. I do love myth but I'm always a bit wary about people reinventing them into a modern context. I'll check it out myself.
I wouldn't let the number of books intimidate you. A few are just companion books for the continued universe. If you're really curious, you can just look at first book and see how you feel about it. I certainly think it is worth trying, once.
Back to top Go down
chrissifniotis
Lotus Crystal

chrissifniotis

Lotus Crystal

Title : Elite Senshi

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime28th March 2018, 11:57 pm

knowall7 wrote:
chrissifniotis wrote:

I wouldn't let the number of books intimidate you. A few are just companion books for the continued universe. If you're really curious, you can just look at first book and see how you feel about it. I certainly think it is worth trying, once.
Okay, that's good to know, thanks for that mate.
Back to top Go down
http://droid24747.deviantart.com/
Meganekko
Lotus Crystal

Meganekko

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Girl with Glasses

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime13th April 2018, 7:27 am

I love the Percy Jackson series! I never read the Kane Chronicles and I couldn't get into Magnus Chase, but Percy Jackson all the way! I have the first series and Heroes of Olympus series. Loved reading both and actually enjoyed Heroes of Olympus more. Maybe because the characters have matured and I enjoyed the crossover into Roman mythology and how the gods had like split personalities because of it. It was a cool concept!

But yeah, to anyone who has not read and loves mythology, it's a seriously fun read!
Back to top Go down
Prince Triton
Pyramidal Crystal

Prince Triton

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime13th April 2018, 2:51 pm

Meganekko wrote:
I love the Percy Jackson series! I never read the Kane Chronicles and I couldn't get into Magnus Chase, but Percy Jackson all the way! I have the first series and Heroes of Olympus series. Loved reading both and actually enjoyed Heroes of Olympus more. Maybe because the characters have matured and I enjoyed the crossover into Roman mythology and how the gods had like split personalities because of it. It was a cool concept!

But yeah, to anyone who has not read and loves mythology, it's a seriously fun read!
To each their own I guess... but seriously why not Magnus???? Why don't you love our Bi-king Prince of Sass????
Back to top Go down
Meganekko
Lotus Crystal

Meganekko

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime13th April 2018, 3:13 pm

I think the thing that hung me up most was that Magnus was related to Annabeth. That was a bit too much for me and I didn't like that two different mythologies were colliding because of it.

Another reason, I think I was just really burnt out on Rick's mythology franchise. Sad

Maybe I'll try again when I actually have time to read. ^^;
Back to top Go down
Prince Triton
Pyramidal Crystal

Prince Triton

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime13th April 2018, 3:24 pm

Hmmph, I'll admit that it also deterred me for some time before starting to read them, but reloj, give it a chance. By the time their parentage becomes actually plot relevant instead of being addressed as a consequence of the actual plot, you'll already be hooked.

You have to admit there's a drop on quality on HOO, tho
Back to top Go down
Meganekko
Lotus Crystal

Meganekko

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime14th April 2018, 8:18 am

@Sailor Triton
I don't know about the drop in quality of HOO, but it's been a few years since I read it last. I just remember really enjoying it. I liked the new characters introduced, especially Hazel. Frank was pretty cool too. I liked his story a lot. And Rick did a good job of combining the Roman and Chinese mythos.

I know that I found a lot of the technology references annoying because it definitely dates the books. They won't have that timelessness that other books do, but neither will the Percy Jackson series as he uses specific modern technology references in it, too.

But I think the reason I liked HOO so much was because it was cool to see the original characters older and more mature. That just appealed to me more.

/rambling
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series   Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Percy Jackson & the Olympians / The heroes of Olympus Series

View previous topic View next topic Back to top