The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

[Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LunaOsa
Lotus Crystal

LunaOsa

Lotus Crystal

[Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals Empty
PostSubject: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime27th August 2011, 6:41 pm

In Sailor Moon we all know that star seeds and sailor crystals are born and made in the Galaxy Cauldron. The question is though.. How? Was it ever mentioned how they were made? Just curious to know. It is just a question I had. If someone has an answer or a theory let me know. Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/YoungAngel38?feature=mhee
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime27th August 2011, 8:11 pm

I like to think of it kind of like the Cauldron is like a god or other diety and it creates life much like the Christian God does. We don't understand how or why, but it just does.
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime28th August 2011, 9:08 pm

The process of Star Seeds being created is never expounded upon. All that said is that the Galaxy Cauldron is the source of all life in the galaxy. It's the proverbial furnace in which souls (i.e. Star Seeds) are forged---hence the name.

As to why that is the case, it's difficult to tell. No indication is provided with regard to the purpose of the Galaxy Cauldron or, rather, how or why it exists. Given the Sailor Moon universe, I would guess some sort of being is responsible, whether it be akin to a celestial Sailor Soldier or an "unmoved mover." What's clear is that the Galaxy Cauldron exists and that it can be destroyed or contaminated.
Back to top Go down
Sqoozh
Star Seed

Sqoozh

Star Seed

Title : Slightly Coherent Venusaur

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 2:44 am

I was probably religiously biased at the time I first read the ending, but I initially had the impression that the Cauldron Sprite probably created the Galaxy Cauldron and everything inside it, thus being the closest thing the series has to a "God."

I know there is a school of philosophy out there - I forget the name - that theorizes that God created the world and then basically just let it run itself, never interacting with it but watching. The Cauldron Sprite could be something like that - a Creator who doesn't allow herself control in how things turn out, save for exceptional situations (like Usagi having to restart the Universe...). The Sprite's reactions to Usagi's questions - giving a very nonchalant "could be, maybe, Idunno the Cauldron really does its own thing" when asked about the state of Chaos and whether or not it could return to life - seem to fit into this school of thought, in my opinion.

Given that, the Galaxy Cauldron could even have a function similar to that of the boxes in that one episode of Futurama - it is a vessel containing the universe, and thus itself, and thus the universe inside of that, ad infinitum. It is just visually compressed, while remaining vast, so the Cauldron Sprite can get a look at what's going on if she really feels like expending the effort.

So, it could kind of be like the Cauldron Sprite is a watchful, non-interfering God, where instead of being innately omniscient, the Galaxy Cauldron is the vessel she created to give herself that power.

Either that or Sailor Cosmos is God and Sailor Moon is actually just one huge Jesus allegory.
Back to top Go down
http://sqoozh.tumblr.com
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 4:02 pm

Sqoozh wrote:
I know there is a school of philosophy out there - I forget the name - that theorizes that God created the world and then basically just let it run itself, never interacting with it but watching. The Cauldron Sprite could be something like that - a Creator who doesn't allow herself control in how things turn out, save for exceptional situations (like Usagi having to restart the Universe...). The Sprite's reactions to Usagi's questions - giving a very nonchalant "could be, maybe, Idunno the Cauldron really does its own thing" when asked about the state of Chaos and whether or not it could return to life - seem to fit into this school of thought, in my opinion.

I believe that school of thought is Deism. And for some history, that is what the majority of our founding fathers believed. Anyway, I think this could make some sense. There really isn't too much thought of religion in this series though.

Quote :
Either that or Sailor Cosmos is God and Sailor Moon is actually just one huge Jesus allegory.

Haha, it'd be funny if that were true, but i seriously don't think Naoko really deeply thought about religion or deeply rooted her characters into christian beliefs (unlike some other animes out there).
Back to top Go down
Sqoozh
Star Seed

Sqoozh

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 5:36 pm

Quote :
I believe that school of thought is Deism. And for some history, that is what the majority of our founding fathers believed. Anyway, I think this could make some sense. There really isn't too much thought of religion in this series though.

Ah, yes! Thank you. And yeah, religion doesn't play too far into the series, but there are enough mentions of a few gods here and there that I feel the question does arise.

Quote :
Haha, it'd be funny if that were true, but i seriously don't think Naoko really deeply thought about religion or deeply rooted her characters into christian beliefs (unlike some other animes out there).

No, you're totally right. That last line was actually a joke! I guess Sailor Cosmos being God is one of the theories out there, but I certainly don't believe it, and it's definitely not the matter at hand in this thread.
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 9:05 pm

Deviating a bit from the topic...

Judeo-Christian formulas and concepts do arise from time to time in the Sailor Moon series. For example, the S season/Infinity arc, the Outer Senshi were looking for the messiah, the one who could end up wielding the Holy Grail and its power. The Holy Grail of course comes from Christian mythos about the cup used at the Last Supper; the messiah ("anointed one") is a general place holder which can refer to most any individual who is considered to have been marked for a position of prominence, usually in the eyes of God. In the Old Testament, King David is anointed, and thus it believed in Judaism that the next anointed one (i.e. messiah) will come from the Davidic line and reestablish the Kingdom of David. And Christians believe Jesus is that anointed one, hence "christ" (Khristos), Greek for "anointed."

So why did I do that brief dive into the background for the term "messiah"? To justify the likelihood that the term was used in Sailor Moon with an eye toward the Christian concept of one who is anointed or chosen. I share Brit-chan's sentiments on Takeuchi likely not reflecting too deeply on the terms as far as religious implications. This is indicative of a number of Japanese series which rely heavily on Christian iconography without paying too much attention to what that iconography is supposed to convey.

To end on topic, as I said, the Cauldron seems to be the product of some "unmoved mover," a term I borrowed from Aristotle which describes the force which sets off the sequence for the rest of the world to spring into action. I highly doubt its God or even a "god" in the Sailor Moon universe; if I had to bet on an answer (which is probably not forthcoming any time soon), I'd go with the "first" Sailor Soldier, whoever that may have been.
Back to top Go down
Sqoozh
Star Seed

Sqoozh

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 9:22 pm

I'm not sure I would see the point in the unmoved mover being a Senshi, though. There is a clue in Naoko now translating "Senshi" to mean "Guardian" as opposed to "Soldier" - why would the being that created the Cauldron be a Guardian if nothing yet exists for her to protect? It is easier for me to believe that Senshi were created after the Cauldron, as Senshi have Star Seeds and the Cauldron, be it the creative object or merely a glorified magnifying glass aimed at the rest of the universe, seems to be integral to the Star Seeds' existence.

Though I may be delving into concepts too sticky for me to comprehend and have thus contradicted myself numerous times already. I'm not entirely sure.
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 9:40 pm

For the sake of argument, the "original" Sailor Soldier would set the baseline for all future Sailor Soldiers. And let's not assume it was an immortal Sailor Soldier. But that's purely speculation. I'm not wedded to it in the slightest.

I think we'd really have to know whether the Galaxy Cauldron was formed by another being or created ex nihilo (out of nothing).
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 10:13 pm

hey guys i know how the Galaxy Cauldron came to be...

Lady Galaxia of course!!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sqoozh
Star Seed

Sqoozh

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime2nd September 2011, 2:09 am

[Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals Thescream
Back to top Go down
Hana-ko
Pyramidal Crystal

Hana-ko

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : give a sailor yell!

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime2nd September 2011, 6:31 am

Omg Brit, you went there. xD

Star Seeds
Dream mirrors
Sailor crystals
Pure heart crystals
Talismans
Brooches
Transformation sticks
Weapons

I think they all come from some sort of "god" in sailor moon.
Back to top Go down
http://ai-no-hana.tumblr.com/
LunaOsa
Lotus Crystal

LunaOsa

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime1st October 2011, 8:16 am

Love the ideas and theories!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/YoungAngel38?feature=mhee
semexx
Star Seed

semexx

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime27th May 2014, 8:34 am

The galaxy cauldron is the centre of the universe. If we go by the big bang theory the galaxy cauldron is where 15 billion years ago a tremendous explosion started the expansion of the universe. Before this event all matter and energy of space was contained where the galaxy cauldron is. 
Insofar it would be in cannon, as it would be really the place where everything-stars, planets, life- originated from. 

I always thought of the starseeds as the manifestation of the soul. Usagi's starseed looks like a lotus which symbolizes Sahasrara in Hinduism. In the anime the star seeds bloom from a lotus flower, too. Shintoism is a mix of beliefs meshed together, among others Hinduism and their belief of chakras and life force/energy. 

Shintoism is the main religion in Japan and I think it would be more accurate to assume that Sailor Moon is more influenced by Shintoism than any other religion.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals   [Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Theory] Star Seeds and Sailor Crystals

View previous topic View next topic Back to top