The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SailorStar9
Star Seed

SailorStar9

Star Seed

Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings Empty
PostSubject: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings   Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings I_icon_minitime1st July 2019, 5:46 am

So, I was watching both Seasons of 'Nurarihyon no Mago' over the weekend and it got me thinking: just how tolerant is Usagi towards beings she deems as 'evil', like the generalized Yokai, for example?
Back to top Go down
Ktenshi
Lotus Crystal

Ktenshi

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of the darkside of the moon

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings   Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings I_icon_minitime1st July 2019, 9:15 am

She's selective but isn't tolerant of any yokai despite the yokai having shown sentience and an ability to resist orders a time or two or the ability to show concern for others. The only time she saves 'yokai' is when they merely are possessed humans. She doesn't start actually saving people that are evil until roughly second half of season two and up.

And even then it's selective. (Rubeus, the Boule twins, Emerald, Most of the Dead Moon Circus since it's revealed they used to be actual People before then. ) so.. dunno, it's how you wanna view it, really.
Back to top Go down
SailorStar9
Star Seed

SailorStar9

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings   Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings I_icon_minitime1st July 2019, 4:42 pm

Ktenshi wrote:
She's selective but isn't tolerant of any yokai despite the yokai having shown sentience and an ability to resist orders a time or two or the ability to show concern for others.   The only time she saves 'yokai' is when they merely are possessed humans.  She doesn't start actually saving people that are evil until roughly second half of season two and up.

And even then it's selective.  (Rubeus, the Boule twins, Emerald,  Most of the Dead Moon Circus since it's revealed they used to be actual People before then. )  so.. dunno, it's how you wanna view it, really.
Then how about the 'normal' Yokai like those from 'Nurarihyon no Mago', where they actually are self-aware and behave like real humans?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings   Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings I_icon_minitime1st July 2019, 6:05 pm

I don't think those really exist in Sailor Moon so it's hard to know how to apply it to the SM canon. I've never heard of "Nurarihyon no Mago" so I can't really give much more thought on it.

I think Ktenshi is probably correct though.
Back to top Go down
cardea
Lotus Crystal

cardea

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings   Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings I_icon_minitime2nd July 2019, 4:02 pm

Hmmm the only real equivalent I can think of is how in Stars, its revealed that all of the enemies she's fought are her "siblings" because they also came from the cauldron. So that sorda makes things like metalia sentient, self-aware beings in their own rite who are different but also equal to humans. 

SO what I think Usagi's response to that would be, if they are an immediate threat to the Earth, she would destroy them. Dealing with yokai invaders would be similar to dealing with the Death Busters. Aliens aren't inherently evil, but as soon as they start trying to kill everyone on your planet, it's possibly time to do something about that.

BUT things that generally qualify as yokai in other series, not all of them have evil or world-threatening intentions. Making a stretch here and pulling from the musicals, in the Dracul arc, there are vampires and werewolves (and.. talking plants..), but Usagi never fights them because of what they are, or claims all undead should be destroyed, but fights them because of their evil actions. 

ALL OF THIS TO SAY Usagi doesn't care if ur a human (beryl), an alien (Death Busters), or undead (Dracul), she only cares about your intention to harm the earth.
Back to top Go down
Ktenshi
Lotus Crystal

Ktenshi

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of the darkside of the moon

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings   Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings I_icon_minitime2nd July 2019, 5:17 pm

SailorStar9 wrote:
Ktenshi wrote:
She's selective but isn't tolerant of any yokai despite the yokai having shown sentience and an ability to resist orders a time or two or the ability to show concern for others.   The only time she saves 'yokai' is when they merely are possessed humans.  She doesn't start actually saving people that are evil until roughly second half of season two and up.

And even then it's selective.  (Rubeus, the Boule twins, Emerald,  Most of the Dead Moon Circus since it's revealed they used to be actual People before then. )  so.. dunno, it's how you wanna view it, really.
Then how about the 'normal' Yokai like those from 'Nurarihyon no Mago', where they actually are self-aware and behave like real humans?

It literally depends upon the canon, but more or less across the board, when they show up and seemingly do 'bad things' when she's around, she considers them a threat and kills it.

Now, though, if you consider- oh say The Amazon Trio to be yokai, which they kind of qualify under the conditions on how they're made, only in the 90s anime (and some musicals) will you find them forgiven and saved because they showed compassion in front of her.

If you consider (again) 90s anime The Four Generals as Yokai, she probably would run into trouble there with Nephrite, but she has no remorse for what happens to the other three. (which, is understandable.) Nephrite would've given her trouble not because of himself but because of Naru's feelings for him and her willingness to sacrifice herself for him. (She literally stops her tiara through sheer desperation over Naru the first time.) When Nephrite dies, Usagi is saved from this dilemma completely because - 1: Nephrite saves Naru, though he has no understanding as to -why- but he did, despite not regarding her much more than a curiosity. He does this twice. 2. He's killed by his associate, Zoisite.

Thus, Usagi's removed from further dealing with the dilemma that she literally believed was a terrible situtation her friend was in and she wanted to save *her* from *him*. Rather than realizing/regarding Nephrite as a person/his willingness to save Naru on it's own merits before he dies (which just adds more weight since he's dead and we never see her ponder over the implications of a Yokai/Youma -human type having both free will and the willingness to good.).

Bringing me back to my point with the Amazon Trio- The three literal Animals forced/turned into humans without an actual choice but (in the 90s anime) they had no idea that they were ever *not* human.

They're truly the closest thing, minus acting good. They're acting according to how they were ordered with no real outside influences to tell them otherwise. They express a lot of human emotions/feelings and the like. We're allowed to see this range with them. We don't get to see it much with anyone else.

Fisheye is the turning point of the group after his encounter with both Mamoru (his huge really in depth crush on the man.) and with Usagi (when she finds him later) that leads Fisheye to question authority and function and later the big deal in them (the Amazon Trio) both risking their lives for each other and being hurt and then later saved/revived.

Again, Usagi, herself, doesn't actually make the conscious choice about them. Mostly because she, herself, was indisposed for a chuck of the time before later waking and doing her thing. By then, the Trio were already out (If I recall right) and didn't pose an active threat. (I really need to rewatch it.)

So.. yeah, overall if we take in everything? It's basically what both Cardea and I are saying:

Usagi doesn't necessarily care about yokai or their existence if they're not hurting the people she cares about.

However, if they attack her home/family/friends, she'll act regardless of what's up.

In the Manga, she demonstrates this a bit more, though they're not Yokai but with the Sailor Animates in Stars and particularly with Sailor Tin Nyanko.

Tin Nyanko is from the same planet as Luna and Artemis and thus is the same kind of person as they are. Unlike Lead Crow, Iron Mouse, and Aluminum Siren, she has a bit more to her story that makes her a little sympathetic.

But even with that, she persists on harming Luna, Artemis, and Diana. Even after Sailor Moon (who by this point as lost at least four of her friends by now in horrific ways) pleads with her to stop, Tin Nyanko didn't.

Thus, Sailor Moon snaps after the cats get hurt and she destroys Tin Nyanko.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings   Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tolerance of 'Evil' Beings

View previous topic View next topic Back to top