The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

Title : ✖ The name's Vivid

[Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) Empty
PostSubject: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 11:19 am

Hi guys ^-^
Like I said in the title I did my first Manga Coloring ever today - so I'm an absolute beginner Very Happy
And I approach you for giving me constructive criticism and tips for improvement Smile
Because I really want to get better - so if I can improve something just let me know.

[Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) 5pZIza5
Anyway, that's my coloring Smile
I gave Kousagi's Fuku the color scheme of Sailor Chibi Chibi Moon, so don't be surprised Very Happy

#ag #agcritique
Back to top Go down
http://ayatoy.tumblr.com/

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 1:16 pm

wow that is really good! 

I'd say what you might want to work on is shading. adding highlights and lowlights to the over all coloring to give it more depth. It could just be my monitor but your whites look kind of gray was that on purpose? 

but still really nice!!
Back to top Go down
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 1:26 pm

Yeah, when I made it, it looked white on my monitor. I noticed it at first after saving, so I couldn't change it Neutral

I tried adding highlights and shadows - you can see little attempts when you look at the hair. The problem is I don't know where to put highlights and lowlights Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 2:12 pm

well think about where the light is coming from, decide on that first then, make sure you keep it constant. So in this case it looks like you have the light coming from behind her since the lighter part of the hair is on the bottom, so you would add the low light on the top parts of the pigtails and other things keeping in mind where your light is coming from. 

if you want i can put together an image of what i mean, so you have a visual aid. I could even put together a little tutorial vid of it if you want. 

But really this is very good for a first coloring!
Back to top Go down
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 2:20 pm

It would be great if you could do this! But I don't want to waste your time.

Thank you [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) 868675979
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 4:19 pm

I don't mind at all! I have the time to spend! Could you send me the image uncolored if you have it saved? I'll get on this tonight i wanted to do some art anyway!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 6:06 pm

Yeah this is good for a beginner! Ed pretty much saidwhat I would suggest. Add highlights and shadows.

For me, once a light source is decided or if i'm not even really thinking that hard about, i just put it in places where there would obviously be some sort of shadow. For example here, youd want some shadow under the skirt on her leg. Some shadow in between the folds of the skirt. And some shadow on her left arm where it bends, because its kind of over the top part of her arm, itd probably cast a bit of a shadow.

Usually, I'll create a layer on top of my base color (I also name all my layers so i don't get too lost), then I'll take the eyedropper tool to set it to the base color. I'll open up the color picker and usually find a dark tone, maybe with some more gray in it. Then I'll just color over where I want the shadow. I general set my brush to a low opacity so I can build up shadows, but if you are going for a more cel shaded look, then don't bother.

I'm not sure how you did this coloring, but I usually color what I want on a layer thats on top of the manga image, then I'll play with the layer blending modes till I get something I like. I often end up choosing "multiply" or "darken" but sometimes it just really depends...i just go with what i think looks good.

And yeah..thats how I usually go about it for shadows. You can do it similarly with highlights but it depends on how light you want to go or how harsh you want the highlight to be. it also doesn't hurt to have several colors and tints and shades going. There is never one color on anything. Also, if you need help with shadows and stuff, look up examples. Never hurts to have references as you color. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Princess Moon
Lotus Crystal

Princess Moon

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime31st December 2014, 2:31 am

Thanks for your help ^-^
I'll try to make use of your tips next time I make one Smile

@Radicaledward124
Sure, here is the uncolored original Smile

I put it behind a spoiler because the imarge is pretty large Very Happy

Spoiler:

Quote :
Yeah this is good for a beginner! Ed pretty much saidwhat I would suggest. Add highlights and shadows.

For me, once a light source is decided or if i'm not even really thinking that hard about, i just put it in places where there would obviously be some sort of shadow. For example here, youd want some shadow under the skirt on her leg. Some shadow in between the folds of the skirt. And some shadow on her left arm where it bends, because its kind of over the top part of her arm, itd probably cast a bit of a shadow.

Usually, I'll create a layer on top of my base color (I also name all my layers so i don't get too lost), then I'll take the eyedropper tool to set it to the base color. I'll open up the color picker and usually find a dark tone, maybe with some more gray in it. Then I'll just color over where I want the shadow. I general set my brush to a low opacity so I can build up shadows, but if you are going for a more cel shaded look, then don't bother.

I'm not sure how you did this coloring, but I usually color what I want on a layer thats on top of the manga image, then I'll play with the layer blending modes till I get something I like. I often end up choosing "multiply" or "darken" but sometimes it just really depends...i just go with what i think looks good.

And yeah..thats how I usually go about it for shadows. You can do it similarly with highlights but it depends on how light you want to go or how harsh you want the highlight to be. it also doesn't hurt to have several colors and tints and shades going. There is never one color on anything. Also, if you need help with shadows and stuff, look up examples. Never hurts to have references as you color. [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) Icon_biggrin

I did it in a similar way you do. I guess I just have to be more precise when adding highlights and shadows Very Happy

Thanks again! You were a great help Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)   [Critique] My first Manga Coloring :) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Critique] My first Manga Coloring :)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top