The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Opening the Manga with Borders

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Opening the Manga with Borders Empty
PostSubject: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime24th June 2011, 8:14 pm

Welcome to our first installment of "Reading the Manga, with Borders." Now, you might just think that we've put some fancy borders on the Manga pages... not quite! I've started reading the Manga of Sailor Moon for the first time since I've never read it before and after talking with Sailor Cosmos and Lady Galaxia, we decided to share my exploits! Feel free to follow along, comment here, and just generally enjoy my ridiculous comments.

Volume One, Act One

Today I acquired all of the volumes of the Manga and cracked open the first one. As I was reading it, I was thoroughly impressed with how well the anime had kept to the manga! The entire first episode was almost scene for scene identical. It really helped ease me into the manga (and I'm sure vice versa for the people who read the manga first). I instantly began hearing Usagi, Mamorou and even Melvin's voices in my head (from the DiC dub) as I read the lines.

I loved the art. Straight up. I love the artwork in the original Manga so much more than the anime. I know anime has come a long way, but the manga Usagi is just beautiful. I know she's supposed to be a kid, and that was well portrayed in the anime, but in the manga I forgot it almost immediately. Then Luna appeared and gave her the Brooch. This brooch is so much more elegant than the one she gets in the anime, I was almost jealous for Anime Usagi. I understand how it would be harder to draw for scenes requiring less detail, but damn. She got ripped off.

This thing was spectacular. But then we came upon the Molly's Mom Impostor. Amazing how they looked identical. However... Moon Frisbee? Really? And it turned into a mother effing frisbee. If I hadn't promised Cosmos I'd read them all I woulda quite right now. A FRISBEE?! I used to pretend I was Xena when I had a frisbee... but COME ON USAGI! Christ.

All in all, I give this Manga a big three stars (outta five) for me being more acquainted with the anime. I'm anxious to open up the next volume with you all! Hope you enjoyed this almost as much as I did!

P.S. OH MY GAH-! I almost forgot. The advertisement on the back of the Manga (since these are all digital scans) was for a VHS of the Doom Tree Series (like what, 12 episodes?) for 50 dollars in this colorful box and everything. HILARIOUS. VHS... oh man, those take me back....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime24th June 2011, 9:14 pm

Volume One, Act Two

I'm a little surprised by how quickly Ami and the whole Sailor Mercury storyline was presented. I dont remember it coming on this fast in the anime. I was amazed at Ami and Usagi getting the transformation pen and disguise pen (respectively) from an arcade machine. I'm not sure how I feel about that... but I now full understand why they're called "pens." For the longest time I wondered during the anime if they really WERE pens, or just pen shaped wands. Problem: Solved.

It was strange how Mercury transformed without even trying, and how she just sorta farted out fog. Like, one minute she's Ami, then she's Sailor Mercury, and now there's fog. Uh... what? And why is Mamorou ALWAYS WEARING A TUXEDO?! It's not exactly a secret identity if you forget to take off the costume, dumb ass.

I'm still really upset that it's called Moon Frisbee. I'm so glad it was changed to Moon Tiara Magic. Moon Frisbee? In fact, I think I have a frisbee I just found doing my summer cleaning... I'm gonna go find it and get my sister. I'm gonna see how much force this thing wields. I'll be right back, and when I do come back, we'll open up Act 3!

PS: Ami is much prettier in the Anime if you ask me. And I get a better sense for her character and fell genuinely sad for her plight. Here, I felt almost nothing for her, so I was glad I had the anime to fall back on.

Last edited by XPushingOBorders on 24th June 2011, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime24th June 2011, 9:18 pm

I'm assuming you're reading the Mixx/TokyoPop adaptation or a scanlation? I don't remember it being called Moon frisbee in the english version, but its been a while since i've read them and my books are packed up. But i think it might have it downloaded. o_o
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime24th June 2011, 9:20 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
I'm assuming you're reading the Mixx/TokyoPop adaptation or a scanlation? I don't remember it being called Moon frisbee in the english version, but its been a while since i've read them and my books are packed up. But i think it might have it downloaded. o_o

Yeah, its the Mixx one, and it's scanned. So I guess it's a Mixx Scanlation? Lol.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime24th June 2011, 9:44 pm

ah, now i gotta go back and read it. Some of the translations in the Mixx version are kinda dumb, like the Moon Frisbee. I have a scan of the Mixx version. I own almost all the books too except a like one of SuperS and one of Stars.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 5:42 am

Volume One, Act Three

I'm still surprised at how quickly Usagi is finding the other scouts, but then again I suppose these manga were released monthly, so if you assume that each one is just a brief window into her world, it makes sense. I guess I'm just more used to the Enemy of the Day of the anime.

Any way, Rei looks amazing here, as well. I still dont fully know that I enjoy the liberties the manga is taking with their powers (or perhaps the anime didnt push their powers far enough?) Rei destroyed Jadeite with her fire (which I really, really thought was her just tossing her demon banishing card) and Ami just continues to fart out fog with no real catch phrase or anything.

And where did Luna get the power to teleport people to wherever? If I understand this correctly, Jadeite took Usagi, Rei, and a bunch of random girls to Beryl's Nega-Castle and what? Decided that he'd use the ONLY room that no other evil was in? That seems goofy.

Ah well, I'm hooked. I'm willing to bet Jupiter shows up in Act 4. If I'm wrong, someone loses a finger.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 6:02 am

Volume One, Act 4

Well, ok. So Jupiter showed up in the last panel... but not as Sailor Jupiter. I guess that means I'll only take a finger off at the first knuckle. Volunteers?

Anywho... now this is just getting ridiculous. Her tiara burned up? So she had to get a new one? But first she had to have a tingle in her naughty place to get it? Who the hell wrote this? I feel the urge to write a strongly drafted letter. And these attacks! They just keep getting more and more ridiculous.

Moon Frisbee! ... Ok, well no more tiara. Thank god for tha- Oh no, wait.
Moon Twilight Flash! ... I have a flashlight and a mirror. I think I can do this too. LOOK OUT NEGAVERSE! HERE I COME!

I mean, come on. This is just getting preposterous. If I were a Sailor Scout, I'd be embarrassed to be following Usagi at this point. And Tuxedo Mask TOTALLY took advantage of her. She clearly get's drunk (AS SAILOR MOON, NO LESS) and then he starts macking on her. Dude, she's 14 years old and drunk. You're totally that creepy older guy at a frat party who slips a girl a mickey and then... well... totally not cool. Personally, if I were Usagi, I'd be filing a report in the morning.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

Title : Soldier of the Cosmos

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 11:34 am

Haha! I can see you're enjoying it! I have a suggestion, though. The Mixx translations are not very accurate. Also, if you want to see scans of the REPRINT manga, I have a wonderful site.

http://missdream.reisei-sa.net/

It's great! They're not completely finished yet, but they should be all done within a couple weeks. It might be fun to read them side by side and compare!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Mileyangel321
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 12:30 pm

Oh! And you should totally read the Sailor V manga as well!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime25th June 2011, 2:42 pm

Oh, definitely! Sailor V is so cute! It's super short, too.
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime27th June 2011, 8:38 pm

I must admit, it's really strange (and interesting!) to read from some one who is experiencing the manga for the first time and comparing it to the anime. I wonder if you will be an anime purist or a manga purist!

I grew up on the anime -- the dubbed for that matter and for years it was all I knew. It wasn't until much later that I got into the manga. I was shocked by how different it was. I personally feel that the producers butchered everything about Sailor Moon when they made the anime. Usagi's character was resorted to being well, rather pathetic. As Sailor Moon, she can not do anything on her own (why must she always be told to attack? You will see quite a difference in the manga!). Also, Mamoru's anime character is horribly portrayed. Dear goodness.

Quote :
If I were a Sailor Scout, I'd be embarrassed to be following Usagi at this point. And Tuxedo Mask TOTALLY took advantage of her. She clearly get's drunk (AS SAILOR MOON, NO LESS) and then he starts macking on her. Dude, she's 14 years old and drunk. You're totally that creepy older guy at a frat party who slips a girl a mickey and then... well... totally not cool.

Hm, that is how I feel about the anime. Razz The senshi in the manga are quite more powerful than their anime counterparts. I will admit that in the first volume, you can see how Takeuchi is flushing out a lot of different ideas. That is why the senshi have so many attacks with so many different names (mind you that if you are reading the american comixs then there are translation issues, similar to the anime). Anyway, yes, that is why so much happens with Sailor Moon's tiara and random powers (e.g "sailor moon kick!" hee).

As for Tuxedo Kamen ... aw, you make me sad. Hehe. In the manga, Mamoru is bolder in his advances and his feelings. He doesn't flake about like anime Mamoru does. In the manga you can see that he is drawn to Usagi both by her mannerisms and physically. They quickly achieve a deep bond that is portrayed both, again, physically and emotionally. It is like an actual relationship, unlike in the anime.

Basically, the anime has been watered down for a younger audience. The series is stretched with countless filler episodes to better appease the public. It is more humourous, which is why Usagi is quite over-the-top ridiculous in the anime (although she is still endearing). The manga is slightly more adult. The plotline moves much faster, Usagi is more mature, Mamoru is bolder and more assertive with his feelings towards Usagi/Sailor Moon; the senshi are more powerful and Sailor Moon too fills the role of a leader in a more substantial manner than her anime form.

And oops! look at me, I have rambled far too much. >_<

Can't wait to read how your continuing adventure with the manga progresses! (Oh, and I do hope that I never come off as judging or anything like that. ^^ To each his own! I just love talking about these types of things. I have been quite the Sailor Moon loner for quite some time -- finally people to have discussions with! Very Happy)
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 12:28 pm

Not at all, VomitDirt! I understand that the manga is supposed to be more adult and came before the anime and is, and of itself, a completely separate and self sustaining entity. And granted I dont know who thinks work in Japan, but based on American ideological values, I definitely had an issue with Mamorou just starting to make out with, and then take home, a drunk Usagi. That's not aggressive, that's borderline rape.

Otherwise, I'm thus far enjoying the manga and need to get on to writing up the rest of Volume one!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 6:16 pm

Sailor Mars wrote:
Not at all, VomitDirt! I understand that the manga is supposed to be more adult and came before the anime and is, and of itself, a completely separate and self sustaining entity. And granted I dont know who thinks work in Japan, but based on American ideological values, I definitely had an issue with Mamorou just starting to make out with, and then take home, a drunk Usagi. That's not aggressive, that's borderline rape.

I never saw it as borderline rape... In fact, the kiss seemed innocent and even though Usagi was drunk at the time, if she hadn't of been, I don't think she would have protested (still doesn't make up for the fact that he sorta took advantage of her while drunk BUT still). When does he take her home while she's drunk? I only remember him taking her home after she fainted from having to use the Crescent Wand to heal like the entire city.

Quote :
If I were a Sailor Scout, I'd be embarrassed to be following Usagi at this point.

I don't really get this. She's not nearly as bad as the anime and in fact is a bit better in battle. Remember at this point, from what the manga gives us, she's only had three fights against youma so far. Yeah, the other girls take it on a bit more seriously, but that is just their personalities if you ask me. Rei doesn't even really want to do it. She even states she doesn't have time for this, rather snootily too. In the anime, by this point, she has had several fights and should be more experienced in battle, but she still heavily relies on Tuxedo Mask showing up. You could argue that she relies on him in the manga too, but it is not nearly as much as in the anime.

Anyway, I have to say, imo, the manga just gets better and better as it goes on! I adore it a lot and its my favorite form of Sailor Moon.
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 6:47 pm

Coby -- I get what you mean with the whole borderline rape situation. And it's odd because like Brit-chan, I never saw it in that way either. At that point in the story the two of them already had a connection with one another, although they had yet to vocalize it. Both as their alter egos and in their daily life they felt an odd pull towards one another and a suspicion of each other's identities. I actually think that Tuxedo Kamen already knew that Sailor Moon was Usagi at this point. Of course, none of this actually validates his kissing her with her permission. And if it were in real life I'd have more of an objection to it. But given the circumstances (one, in a manga setting) and what had already transpired between the two (and the slow rise of their memories from the past), I just see his actions of being bold rather than taking advantage of her.

Hehe. I think it's funny that both Brit-chan and I (two girls) are taking this side and the guy is defending her honor. Razz

I also agree with Brit-chan on the fighting side. A lot of it has to do with Usagi's personality, the fact that she is fourteen and also that this is the first volume. Hehe. By volume two she has completely transformed as a leader.

I can't wait for you to read it! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 7:05 pm

I think i take it because i always thought it was romantic. XD Plus i think he definitely knows that she is Sailor Moon at that point because in the next act that introduces Sailor Jupiter, he shows up outside her bedroom window to lead her to save Lita/Makoto. I keep wanting to use English names cause i was reread the Mixx translation. I should download Miss Dreams scanlations so I can see the difference.

AND THEN I CAN COMPARE IT EVEN MORE WHEN I BUY THE RELEASE.

o-o sorry for the caps but when i think of the rereleas, that's how excited i get.
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 7:10 pm

Quote :
sorry for the caps but when i think of the rereleas, that's how excited i get.
I get random spazz attacks of happiness when I think about it. I am torn between DYING for september to come and dreading it because I have to do my masters thesis. XD Oh, cruelty!

Oh, you need to read the manga with the original names! It is SO ENDEARING to see Mamoru say "Usako" and Usagi call him "Mamo-chan." I read the japanese manga sometimes because I love seeing their nicknames in hiragana. Hee.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 9:05 pm

Volume One, Act 5 & 6

It's really cool the way Makoto showed up, saving Usagi from getting hit by a car. A lot of this makes me realize just how closely the anime stuck to the manga (well, not the dub). I think it's really neat, considering how many "TV adaptions" don't hold true to their native story lines. I can't believe how different some of the personalities are here. Rei's is one of hte biggest change, I think. I dont remember her ever saying that she "just doesn't trust guys."

Now, we all know that I'm not the most romanticized person when it comes to this Manga, and while I appreciate his intentions, I just cannot justify Tuxedo Masks kidnapping of Usagi to take her to Makoto. Ahh, Usagi in a tux. You look hilariously like Andrew and Tuxedo Mask. I never noticed until this Act that Usagi has the barrettes in her hair like she does in the Anime when in her Super form... huh.

I love that Makoto just lifts the youma up and tosses her ass. Hilarious. It's weird to me that Jupiters first attack is Flower Hurricane. It reminds me a lot of Oak Evolution, and sorta makes me wish they woulda included one of the two in the anime, cause it looks kinda badass. The concern that the four generals show for each other is also something I wish was included in the Anime. Instead of them constantly competing and being underhanded, they have a real brotherly bond that you can sense in the manga. It makes Beryl's eventually treachery that much more evil.

I also adore what Makoto says about why she left her old school. "Something much more important than lost love brought me here." It's really indicative of how she feels about being a scout. The wand dropping thing on the last page was kinda weird. Like "Lead the scouts. Use this magic moon wand, cause... why the hell not?"

I always like that Usagi flirts with Makoto a little in the first Volume. It adds a bit more to her for some reason... Like she'll fall in love with any person who plays her protector, much like Makoto does often throughout the anime (and potentially the manga). Oh Usagi, you sucker from a strong personality. It really shocked me to read "Tuxedo Kamen was going on robbery spree's to find the Silver Imperial Crystal." Whaaaaa----? Breaking and entering and grand larceny seems a bit much there, Tuxie.

Then Luna's like "Well, the Silver Imperium Crystal can basically destroy a planet on a whim. We should probably think about finding it soonish." It's really interesting that Sailor V in the Sailor V game also has a wand that's identical to Usagi's. Now if only Usagi could use it half as well as she makes Sailor V. I also really hate that Luna won't just tell them about Queen Metallia. She obviously knows who it is. This is why the Senshi have so many issues. F***ing Luna and her tight lips. Tight lips sink ships, beyotch.

Zoicite: "So, this crystal we're all looking for has super awesome amazing powers and makes you live forever. We should all really find that." The realist in me goes, "People would discredit her and say she's a fraud if she said that on TV!!" and then the fan in me goes, "Dude, girls in mini-skirts fight monsters with bubbles, fire, flowers, and toy wands. I think they'll believe just about anything." It's also really great that they are so much larger and aggressive in their search for energy than in the anime. "Well, let's use TV's and just blast EVERYONE" versus "I'm gonna snatch energy one person at a time using this Youma. It's the most time effective method."

I also adore that they used Tuxedo Kamen's obviously flawed plan to draw energy from people. That's the kind of devious behavior I expect from my malevolent creatures! Tuxedo Kamen comes to Usagi's rescue, no shocker there. But I love how they draw off of each others life forces to bring the other back up to full strength. Tuxedo Kamen is the only one in Usagi's side... that's so sad. "Luna gave me this wand... but I dont have any powers. I just look pretty in my skirt and cry a lot!"

And now she wakes up in her bed. At least she still had her Senshi uniform on... I still dont trust this pervert! But that's the end of Volume One! We're really on a roll now, I can't wait to read the next Volume!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 9:52 pm

But he didn't kidnap Usagi...? He just shows up and she follows him. I don't understand how that is read as kidnapping. Its not like he went into her room and dragged her away.

Quote :
It really shocked me to read "Tuxedo Kamen was going on robbery spree's to find the Silver Imperial Crystal." Whaaaaa----? Breaking and entering and grand larceny seems a bit much there, Tuxie.

He'd been doing this from the beginning, if I remember correctly. That was his method of finding the crystal. Its logical to think "Look for a gemstone at every jewelry store ever". It is kinda dumb on his part for the theft.

Quote :
The concern that the four generals show for each other is also something I wish was included in the Anime. Instead of them constantly competing and being underhanded, they have a real brotherly bond that you can sense in the manga. It makes Beryl's eventually treachery that much more evil.

I agree with his a lot. In fact, I'm noticing it more as I'm rereading it.

Also Luna does not know who the enemy is. In fact she states that they are a mystery to her too. She states this in Act 4 at the beginning. Luna arrives on Earth with much of her memory erased too.

Quote :
It's really interesting that Sailor V in the Sailor V game also has a wand that's identical to Usagi's.

I like how this comes into play later. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 10:08 pm

Luna has suspicions that it's Queen Metallia, if I'm reading Acts 5 and 6 correctly. There is a panel where she ponders if it's a certain evil, and they show a picture of Metallia.

As for the kidnapping thing, from what I saw in the images, he picked her up and jumped out her window... and she had been sleeping only moments before. Granted she might have started following him after, but their whole relationship just weirds me out at this point. I'm trying to pretend I dont know what's coming so that I'm not looking at it with romantic blinders, and it really just gives me the willies. She leaves him with him, not completely convinced he's a good guy, nor does she know he's Mamorou... but she leaves with him anyway. Still shady business, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 10:17 pm

Opening the Manga with Borders Sm_mix10

Ok, this is the Mixx translation but here's the image. From what I gather, she follows him. It shows her running away as if running out the door. In no way does it show him picking her up physically.

Imo, she's always been convinced he's a good guy but she has small doubts due to Luna's nagging about him. Sorry but i'm going to argue to the end about this, I can't help it! XD
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 10:19 pm

Oh wow. I totally never even SAW her in that image. I assumed he was holding her based on how his cape looked. I still say it's shady business, following him or not! Besides, this is just about my reactions to the Manga, not about whether or not Tuxedo Kamen is a pervert or not.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime29th June 2011, 10:22 pm

Sailor Mars wrote:
Oh wow. I totally never even SAW her in that image. I assumed he was holding her based on how his cape looked. I still say it's shady business, following him or not! Besides, this is just about my reactions to the Manga, not about whether or not Tuxedo Kamen is a pervert or not.

I know. ^^ I can't help but defend it because it's very dear to me. Its ok, to each his own, ya know!

Oh and on the Luna thing, I forgot that you were covering act 6. Sorry XD
Back to top Go down
Siren
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime3rd July 2011, 5:12 pm

The whole thing with Luna becomes clearer farther into the Manga if I remember correctly.
Back to top Go down
Rachael
Pyramidal Crystal

Rachael

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime4th July 2011, 2:25 am

Ha! When someone has the user name of a famous person or fictional character, I like to pretend that it's really that person or character. So when I read Sailor Mars' posts, I'm imagining the real Sailor Mars (anime Mars, maybe?) reading the manga for the first time, which all the other guardian senshi have read, and then debating with Jupiter in a 4th-wall-breaking conversation.

Anyway, I agree with Sailor Mars about Tuxedo Mask kissing a drunk Sailor Moon. That really bothers me, as well. It sucks even more that it was their first kiss. I like their later kisses much better. I don't think it's a Japanese thing; a lot of Americans, too, would find that kiss romantic. I never liked it, even before I thought it was creepy, because in that picture, it looks like Sailor Moon's tongue is hanging out and Tuxedo Mask is just kissing her tongue.

That was in the anime as well, though. It was just changed in the dub.

Sailor Moon's first attack is called "Moon Frisbee" in the original version of the manga, too.
Back to top Go down
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

Title : Advisor to the Goddess

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime11th July 2011, 7:29 pm

It's great to see a different POV about the manga...I watched the dubbed anime first but only really got into Sailor Moon when I read the manga so I tend to prefer it, myself. It's nice to hear someone elses thoughts on it.

Never really thought about the drunk kiss...yeah that is kind of sketchy now that I think about it!
Back to top Go down
http://bunnyblushies.tumblr.com
Arekuzanra
Pyramidal Crystal

Arekuzanra

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Seijaku no Osutii

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime12th July 2011, 2:58 pm

Sailor Cosmos wrote:
Haha! I can see you're enjoying it! I have a suggestion, though. The Mixx translations are not very accurate. Also, if you want to see scans of the REPRINT manga, I have a wonderful site.

It's great! They're not completely finished yet, but they should be all done within a couple weeks. It might be fun to read them side by side and compare!

....Sailor Cosmos... I have died and gone to heaven because of you.

:worship: I AM NOT WORTHY!!! :worship:
Back to top Go down
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime12th July 2011, 4:26 pm

Arekuzanra wrote:
Sailor Cosmos wrote:

....Sailor Cosmos... I have died and gone to heaven because of you.

:worship: I AM NOT WORTHY!!! :worship:

I'm so happy I was able to help you! More fans NEED to know about Miss Dream!
Back to top Go down
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime12th July 2011, 11:45 pm

Let's try to keep on topic loves!!!

Mars - I know you are busy bee, but have you been able to read and/or comment on this some more??

I LOVE reading your impressions on it so much! Razz This is one of my favorite threads >_<
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opening the Manga with Borders   Opening the Manga with Borders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opening the Manga with Borders

View previous topic View next topic Back to top