The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? Empty
PostSubject: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime6th October 2014, 6:00 pm

What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRXAgWr7eVBV-B4DwAnPWw29xUF9YYGPBtv9NFWJU6JWUX6v2l_

As a big Zelda fan I find myself recently asking myself this question. What's the big deal about OoT? You asked a Zelda fan what their favorite Zelda game and nine of ten times it's going to be OoT. Well at least that's what I see on the internet. Me personally it's Majora's Mask which is a love or hate it game in the Zelda community. To me it's the black sheep along with Zelda 2. 

Don't get me wrong I love OoT. It was my first Zelda game and holds a special place in my heart. For years it was my favorite and I have beaten it over a dozen of times. But over the years I find myself attracted to other Zelda games and to me they seem superior. By superior I mean the storytelling is better

So yeah spoilers if you never played OoT. This thread is really meant for people who have played the game. XD

What's OoT's story? An evil man Ganondorf attacks the kingdom of Hyrule and it's up to a boy name Link to save it. He travels through time and gets help from a mystery character named Sheik. Who later turns out to be the princess of Hyrule Zelda. She gets kidnapped and Link has to go rescue her and take back Hyrule.

That's pretty much it. OoT has a pretty basic story. While I love time traveling aspect of the plot I wish the plot as a hold was fleshed out a bit. Then again a lot elements in other Zelda games aren't fleshed out well enough, but I find OoT to be the weakest of the bunch. Not counting the 2D Nes games because that was a time when storytelling wasn't a central thing in video games. Plus the characters are pretty bland too. I know the N64 had limitations, but in Majora's Mask the characters seem more alive. They had routines, jobs, ect. 

I love playing OoT like the next Zelda fan, but I don't think I can ever call it my favorite anymore. Not after playing Skyward Sword where Nintendo took storytelling to the next level. At least to me they did. I know some fans didn't like SS, but I love that game because I actually cared about what was going to happened to the characters. Not saying I didn't care in past games, but I actually reacted to the cut scenes this time around. The ending T-T  
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime12th July 2015, 5:40 pm

I personally find Ocarina of Time my favorite because A. It has everything: The open world, an interesting story (though you are correct in saying that it's certainly not got the best stroy in the series, but let's be honest: Zelda was never really known for it's story), fun boss fights, and it's just great. B. Cause it's the only one that I've really played to be honest.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
silverskywind
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime12th July 2015, 5:57 pm

Personally it's my favorite because it's the first one I played on the 3DS. I owned PT and ST before that, but never really played them or got into Zelda before OOT. It was also the first one that I could understand the controls easily and I loved young Link and growing up into Adult Link and getting the bow and arrow! I also love SS and I rate it up there with OOT! (except for the funland mini-game-ugh, it took me forever to finally land and get that heart piece-my second playthrough-not my first). (: MM I like(3DS version, but I'm taking forever to do the last dungeon and I hate some of the mini-games-I can't win the second day on the Deku game with the rupees). Uh, I'm going to start talking more about Zelda instead of just OOT on this...
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime12th July 2015, 6:03 pm

Sailor Zelda wrote:
I personally find Ocarina of Time my favorite because A. It has everything: The open world, an interesting story (though you are correct in saying that it's certainly not got the best stroy in the series, but let's be honest: Zelda was never really known for it's story), fun boss fights, and it's just great. B. Cause it's the only one that I've really played to be honest.

I wouldn't call OoT open world. Zelda One and Link to the Past had more of an open world vibe to it because you beat any dungeon in any order. In OoT you can only do that with the Shadow Temple and Spirit Temple.

Actually of all of the Zelda titles Majora's Mask is known for its story. It's the darkest game in the entire series is superior over OoT. 

I would play more Zelda games. OoT was my first Zelda game and after playing the later installments and past ones I can see the glaring flaws in OoT.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime12th July 2015, 6:08 pm

Well, it's *sorta* open world-ed. It seemed like there was more freedom as Child Link though. But you're right, Zelda One was probably the most open world game in the series. (I've played it a little.) I also really like OoT because it's probably the best place for people who want to get into the series to start with. Another reason why it's a lot of people's favorites is cause there's a lot of nostalgia value.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime12th July 2015, 6:18 pm

I say it's 50/50 with the Links. Each timeline has things you can and cannot reach.

That's my point of this thread. The whole nostalgia factor. When you push that aside does this game still hold up? Yes and no. The graphics are very outdated, but we did get a remaster version on the 3DS. But the game still has enjoyment if you look past the out dated graphics. The story is the weakest out of the story driven Zelda games. To me this is the boringest Hyrule in all of the games. It's very plain and ugly. I even thought that when I was playing this game for the first time. Link To The Past has the better Hyrule. I would say the same to Twilight Princess. Its Hyrule feels big and vast, but.... they didn't put anything in it. 

This is why I am hyped for Zelda U. We're getting an open world and hopefully it will be vast and with things in it.
Back to top Go down
Tiny Kitten
Diana Emeritus

Tiny Kitten

Diana Emeritus

Title : I live between the lands of Fantasy and Delusion. Seren's wifey <333

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime12th July 2015, 6:23 pm

OoT is my personal favorite. I've played a few others, but this one is my fav so far. Besides the nostalgic feelings I get when I play it, I love Navi(that annoying fairy that she is xD), I really liked all of the temples and gerudo valley, and the music is pretty awesome. I also really liked the archery mini game and the whole older/younger thing xD
Back to top Go down
http://kayariah.tumblr.com/ http://kayariahanime.tumblr.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime12th July 2015, 6:36 pm

OoT and MM have one of the best soundtracks out of the Zelda games. Gerudo Valley is so iconic.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime13th July 2015, 3:52 pm

I also really love the ocarina mechanic. I know that there were ocarinas in other Zelda ganes but the teleporting thing was a really good idea to me.
Back to top Go down
Lady_RoseDragon
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : In the name of Aquabania...

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime15th July 2015, 6:55 pm

Personally, I feel that Ocarina of time is a good game but not the best game ever. I just cannot get into it compared to the 2D Zelds like A Link to the Past and Oracle of Seasons but I enjoy watching others play the game, which is odd. Maybe it's because I never grew up with the game unlike some others (I had just Mario, Pokemon, Banjo-Kazooie and Kirby)

Also, I actually do really enjoy the music for the game.
Back to top Go down
http://kumatorakazooie.tumblr.com http://dragonkazooie89.deviantart.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime15th July 2015, 7:00 pm

^ That's how I feel even though this was my first Zelda game. MM is better imo.
Back to top Go down
silverskywind
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime15th July 2015, 9:01 pm

I like MM3DS, but I don't like MM64 version and that's mainly because of the N64 controller. It's very awkward and uncomfortable to hold. I think it would be the same with OOT.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?   What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's Big Deal About LoZ: Ocarina of Time?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top