The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

ThanksGaming Month

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime1st November 2013, 1:43 am

If you've clicked on this topic then chances are you're wondering to yourself, "What is ThanksGaming Month?" I'm glad you asked.

ThanksGaming Month is one time a year where we can all come together as a single gaming community and remember the games that shaped our childhoods. It doesn't matter if you were raised in the 70's, the 80's the 90's or the 00's. Whether you're a PC gamer, console gamer or you just used to go to the arcade with friends. If you have at least one video game you enjoyed, cherish it. Remember it. Play it again if you can. Not just games of your past, but games you enjoy in the present and, assuming you have any, games you believe you'll be enjoying in the future. I'll get the ball rolling.

I started playing games when I was three or four on my brother's old Nintendo. The first game I ever played was Super Mario Brothers, followed closely by Duck Hunt. It was the double cartridge that came out in 88 and it was the first and only time I got to use the Nintendo Zapper. After that I played Karate Champ, Nightmare on Elm Street, The Uncanny X-Men and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II with my brother. I also got to play the old Jaws game by myself. Used to think the scuba diver was a gold fish, good times. Other honorable mentions are Super Mario Bros 2, Paperboy, Golf and Baseball.

After the Nintendo my brother would get a Sega Genesis and we would play Battletoads/Double Dragon, Street Fighter II: Champion Edition, X-Men 2: Clone Wars, Cyber Justice (anyone who remembers this game gets a hug from me), Mortal Kombat II and Doom. A lot of fun mulitplayer games that were challenging. In addition to those games that he owned I also got to play Sonic 2, Streets of Rage 2, Comix Zone, NBA JAM, Wolverine: Adamantium Rage, Spider-Man/Venom Maximum Carnage, Mortal Kombat 3, Barney Hide and Seek, McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, Sylvester and Tweety in Cagey Capers and Road Rash II. I remember one friend of my brother playing that game and he crashed his bike and had to run the rest of the way to the finish line. It was awesome.

There were some games I played on my old computer too. Gorillas, Snakes, Treasure Mountain, Midnight Rescue and Reader Rabbit 1, 2, and 3.

Old Arcade games I played involved at least one Mega Man, though I can't remember which one. Area 51, the old rail shooter. Gauntlet Legends which I played with my cousins. The old X-Men arcade game that was up to six players that never got ported to a console. "WELCOME TO DIE!" I know there was more but I can't remember any of them. I know I played at least one driver game where you sit behind a wheel and get to put your foot on an actual gas pedal. I don't want to make this post too long so I'll be saving the rest of the games I played as a kid for later. Your turn.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Torijenova
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime18th November 2013, 4:37 pm

The earliest games I remember playing were DOS games on my dad's PC, some were ports of original Atari games, like Asteroids, Missile Command, or Centipede. My first horror/shooter game, that as a kid entranced yet terrified me, was Doom and following that Duke Nukem. My earliest gaming system was a Gameboy where I played Tetris and Wario World 3. I have lots of fond memories of old games and at heart I'll always be a PC gamer.

Though I have to admit, the sole reason I saved and bought a PS2 was for DDR. xD Lols. I always went to the arcade at the mall with my friends and we would play DDR for hours. Fun times!
Back to top Go down
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime18th November 2013, 4:54 pm

My earliest memory of anything gaming related was when I was when I was two and my brother was playing Gex: Enter the Gecko on his N64. I was so enthralled by it! It was as simple as a little Gecko on the screen to capture my attention. My interest in my brothers n64 stuck with me until I was about 5 or 6 and I put coins in it, (I thought it was a cash register and I was pretending, I believe that Christmas my parents bought me a play register to avoid that from ever happening again lol). My grandmother bought me a ps1 for my birthday (I think it was my birthday?) I honestly wasn't as interested in it as much as the N64 but I still had some good times with it. I had good times playing the Powerpuff girls game on there and playing Ten Pin Alley with my mom. Of course thank you Puzzle Star Sweep and Superstar Dance Club #1 Hits for introducing me to the craziness that can come out of Japan. Over the years I've also gone through handhelds like crazy (GameBoy, GameBoy Color, GameBoy Advance, Nintendo DS) and have dabbled in PC Gaming (Aladdin Math Quest and other learning games as a kid, and games like The Sims 2 and Roller Coaster Tycoon when I got older). I've played some ps2 games and A LOT of Nintendo games now that my wii can play just about everything. 

(Sorry for the long paragraph)
I seriously can't thank gaming enough. It's been a big part of my life since I can remember and it has continued to be important, I regularly watch videos on youtube, twitch, and use my steam account. I'm hoping to make new memories with the next generation consoles and games and to share gaming with my future children Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime18th November 2013, 8:58 pm

Yay Nintendo 64! I was starting to think no one would reply to this thread.

I neglected some titles from my last post. On the NES side of things I also played Ninja Gaiden, can't remember which one exactly, all I remember is running around in the sewers as a purple ninja, and the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I also played a game where you control a pink thing that shoots things and crawl walls and ceilings. Can't remember the name of it.

Other Genesis games I also played were The Lion King, Pocahontas, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie, Fatal Fury 2 and some side-scroll space shooter that I'm only vaguely certain was on the Genesis.

After the Genesis we got a Sega Saturn, although I can't remember any games we played for the Saturn. I want to say Battle Arena Toshinden and Virtua Cop, but I'm not 100% on that. Then we got the PlayStation and the first games brought home for them were Tekken 2, Resident Evil and Tomb Raider. They were awesome. I used to be scared just going into a room in Resident Evil and as much as it pains me to admit, I never got past the third level on Tomb Raider. Level three is as far as I've ever gotten on the original Tomb Raider. The puzzles were just... asdf!
Back to top Go down
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime18th November 2013, 9:04 pm

I never got to experience anything from Sega D: like when they still made consoles, we never owned any of their products! 

Speaking of games, I've always had the urge to start a gaming channel on youtube, but I don't have the time, confidence, or equipment to do so :p

I also just liked your facebook page <3
Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime18th November 2013, 9:55 pm

Sega released a couple of collector editions if you're interested in trying out their games. I have Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and Dreamcast Collection for the Xbox 360. The former has over 40 games while the latter only has 4. Not a bad investment either way.

And thanks! ^_^
Back to top Go down
RayOfHope
Pyramidal Crystal

RayOfHope

Pyramidal Crystal

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime19th November 2013, 11:04 am

Omg, sorry I didn't see your post earlier ToriJ.

Let's see then:

The earliest memories I have from videogames is AlleyCat and Qix on one of those old green colored monitor, floppy disks computers.

After that it was the Master System. Dynamite Dux, Alex Kidd In Miracle World, Black Belt, Tom and Jerry, Galaxy Force, Hang-on, Great Volleyball, Safari Hunt. It was awesome to be a kid. >.>

Then came the Mega Drive, and on it I played Sonic 1 2 3 & Knuckles, Mickey Mouse's Castle of Illusion, Tiny Toon Buster's Treasure Hunt, SFII Champion Edition (which on the Mega Drive was Champion and Turbo bundled in one).

Then I went back to PC and played Alone In The Dark 1 2 3, Doom 1 & 2, Myst and it's sequel Riven, Day Of The Tentacle, The Secret Of Monkey Island, Just Grandma and Me, Carmen Sandiego's many incarnations, Blade Runner, and a whole bunch of others I'm too tired to remember now.

I've never really owned a Nintendo console until the N64.

With it I played Shadows Of The Empire, Fifa 98, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong's Racing, Goldeneye, Starfox 64, Wave Race 64, and a whole bunch of others.

Argh, the list goes on and on I'll continue later. <3
Back to top Go down
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime19th November 2013, 2:13 pm

Nintendo 64 was the first console I owned. I also have Super Mario 64, Mario Kart and Diddy Kong's Racing on it. Loved those games to pieces. Used to play Diddy Kong with my friend next door all the time. I got pretty far in Super Mario 64 my last playthrough too before I stopped playing.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime19th November 2013, 2:34 pm

I think I lived on Super Nintendo for a big chunk of my life. I played the Sailor Moon R game like a thousand times with my (male) cousin whom I coerced but also secretly liked it (I kept repeating the game mainly because I kept dying before I could beat Prince Dimande, the last boss, whom for the longest time we thought was Kunzite because we hadn't watched R yet and so we cursed Kunzite... a lot).

Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers was fun too (forever the pink ranger). Of course we also played Super Mario Bros and Donkey Kong. Man... Donkey Kong. Lots of muscle memory and jumping around making sure you don't fall to your death. Good times. I remember a version with pirates where there was a female(?) monkey who could use her hair(?) as a helicopter thingy.

My dad's only Nintendo game which he plays obsessively is a bubble matching/shooting game called Bust-A-Move. It was kind of hilarious watching him play it all the time. (Now he plays something similar on his iPad just almost obsessively, I think it's called Bubble Shooter or something like that)

One time I spent a lot of coins in an arcade playing an obscure game called Dancing Eyes until I finished all the levels and now after wiki-ing it... apparently it's not a very child-friendly game. Oops.

I also played Mortal Kombat and Area 51 but I think those were Playstation years. Time Crisis and some other airplane shooting games featured as well for a time. I also briefly played the Sailor Moon PS game though unlike the Super Nintendo one, this was the senshi fighting each other all the time so I wasn't that into it. Lots of angry button-pushing was done to figure out the perfect combo to release the ultimate move though. Aw, we had TONS of PS games CDs, I could go on forever if I keep digging my memories.

I don't remember which console I played the Sailor Moon SuperS(? I think? I seem to remember there's a giant circus tent in the background) game. It was a dueling game too. I think I always used Uranus because World Shaking pretty much effectively knocked out everyone all the time.

Then there were computer game years when Pinball was like the only exciting thing to play there. And later, stuff like The Sims, Diner Dash, Insaneaquarium...

When I was much older, around high school, Playstation started to feel obsolete but I was then introduced to the wonderful game that is Harvest Moon: Back to Nature. Sadly my PS has become too old and damaged by then so the game I painstakingly built was lost due to the console resetting itself right when I was saving the game. (Actually, that's the second time I've painstakingly spent months building, the first time around my brother moved and took the PS with him and played my original game until so far ahead but I was very particular about how I played it and which girl I wanted to end up with so I restarted from scratch) So to this day I've never really achieved my Harvest Moon dream of marrying the girl I wanted and I'm still maybe kind of bitter about it.
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
RayOfHope
Pyramidal Crystal

RayOfHope

Pyramidal Crystal

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime20th November 2013, 2:03 pm

Harvest Moon for the win!

I'll continue my list later, just not right now.^^
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ThanksGaming Month Empty
PostSubject: Re: ThanksGaming Month   ThanksGaming Month I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ThanksGaming Month

View previous topic View next topic Back to top