The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Shiny Costume Fabric

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Daughter of Apollo

Shiny Costume Fabric Empty
PostSubject: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 2:13 am

Lately on tumblr I've been seeing numerous posts dedicated to the newly-released Hot Topic Sailor Moon costume. Almost all are negative. This doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that most users immediately comment on the satin-like fabric. I've seen other "failed" cosplays posted around that are also scrutinized for the fabric choice. My problem: I just don't get the big deal.

For one, you can definitely argue that the shiny quality of the material adds to the whole "magical" aspect of a Magical Girl cosplay. Two, so many users on tumblr (the very same ones who bash these costumes) reblog cosplayers who wear costumes with similar, if not the same, fabric. It's really hypocritical.

I'm convinced that one of the elements that goes into deeming a cosplay as "successful" (whateverthehellthatmeans) is the set-up/context of the image.

Shiny Costume Fabric Tumblr_lfg98cUImR1qgtnu7o1_500
(image from cosplayislove on tumblr)

Shiny Costume Fabric Picture1zc
from FlexGraph on flickr

Shiny Costume Fabric Tumblr_ljzs20Oyk71qdcieyo1_500
straight off Google

Shiny Costume Fabric Saturn3
also Google

All taken by professional photographers. The quality of the image seems to enhance any viewer's perception of the image. I'm not saying these costumes are great. I'm not saying these costumes are terrible. But I am saying that they're all made of a shiny material. Forget props, wigs, and makeup and just look at the damn costumes. Really, what's the difference?

There is none.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/AtTwelve34
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 7:18 am

Those are some of the best cosplays that I have ever seen. Thank you for sharing!

I have to admit though, I am one of those shiny-material-loathing individuals. And this is probably completely my own personal taste. Textures and surfaces matter a lot to me, and in general, in anything, I do not like shiny. I do not like loud or the like and to me, the shiny material looks very cheap. I am primarily talking about the skirts here. I think the rest of the outfits looks very nice and they fit with a natural conformity to the figure, but those skirts -- I am not a fan. I will say that they are not horrible and that they actually do not look that bad -- they are really rather nice and do not look stiff. However, if I was going to do the "perfectionist" talk, I would say I'd like a slightly toned down material. Less shine and a little more flow and flexibility to the material.
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 1:16 pm

Those are all beautiful costumes!

But in general, having satin automatically means cheap quality. This isn't always the case as these photos prove...
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 3:10 pm

I think if maybe this question asked to a professional seamstress or fashion designer, maybe we could get a pretty clear cut answer as to why. IMO, it does look cheap, although if done right, can look good, like those photos you posted. I once chose a satiny material for a piece of a Chobits cosplay i did once and I kinda wish I had chosen a different material (but i had no idea WTF i was doing so lol) because it didn't match the material of the rest of the outfit. So yeah, it was odd.
Back to top Go down
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 10:47 pm

Brit-chan wrote:
IMO, it does look cheap, although if done right, can look good,

I believe this whole-heartedly. The "if done right" includes the fit of the costume and skirt length as well as contextual and decorative elements such as picture quality, pose, makeup, accessories etc.

Not gonna lie. I have a cheap-ass costume that I am planning to wear next month. But, I've modified small parts of it (hemmed the skirt, sewed the bows into place) and now I think it looks pretty great. I'm really interested to see the kind of feedback I get once I wear it. You could say it's an experiment of mine.
Back to top Go down
Lady Lucina
Lotus Crystal

Lady Lucina

Lotus Crystal

Title : Advisor to the Goddess

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime28th September 2011, 10:23 am

What I've noticed is exactly HOW shiny the fabric is. The examples you posted are a satin shine, where-as a lot of the cheap cosplays have glossy shines. Much tackier.

Of course, the rest of the cosplay can make or break the image...oftentimes, the shiny materials combined with poor stitches and/or an ill fit can really make the bad fabric choice stand out.
Back to top Go down
http://bunnyblushies.tumblr.com
Reiko
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime28th September 2011, 11:35 am

Lady Lucina wrote:
What I've noticed is exactly HOW shiny the fabric is. The examples you posted are a satin shine, where-as a lot of the cheap cosplays have glossy shines. Much tackier.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the costumes from pictures 2 & 3 use the same cheap fabric that ebay sellers use. You can tell by how thin the fabric is and how the skirt hangs. The thinner fabric actually helps create the pleated look without having a pleated skirt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shiny Costume Fabric   Shiny Costume Fabric I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shiny Costume Fabric

View previous topic View next topic Back to top