The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

The Book Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

The Book Thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime14th October 2011, 8:09 pm

Fahrenheit 451 is quite possibly one of my favorite books that I had to do for school reading. Though I think I'm one of the only ones in school that liked the book. But Ray Bradbury is a genius imo. XD

I just finished reading "Deep Secret" by Diana Wynn Jones. If you like a modern setting type Fantasy, this is the series for you. It also offers witty writing, a cast of odd characters, a crazy amount of plots that all eventually intertwine to make things make sense, and small tinge of romance (very very little, but just enough to enjoy and make you go yay for the couple). All in all, another enjoyable read from Diana Wynn Jones. I highly recommend her books!
Back to top Go down
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime14th October 2011, 10:10 pm

So, so much love for Diana Wynne Jones. She died this year, was so sad. Sad Hexwood was my favourite book basically ever when I was a kid, and I had extremely well-worn copies of Dogsbody, Fire and Hemlock, Power of Three, Howl's Moving Castle... yeah. (When I started trying to Write Stories aged 10 or whatever they were basically bad versions of her stuff, haha.)
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime15th October 2011, 1:25 am

Toft wrote:
So, so much love for Diana Wynne Jones. She died this year, was so sad. Sad Hexwood was my favourite book basically ever when I was a kid, and I had extremely well-worn copies of Dogsbody, Fire and Hemlock, Power of Three, Howl's Moving Castle... yeah. (When I started trying to Write Stories aged 10 or whatever they were basically bad versions of her stuff, haha.)

I was very upset too! So far I've read everything having to do with Howl's Moving Castle (Castle in the Air and House of Many Ways), like I stated above, Deep Secret, and The Chrestomanci Chronicles, i think vol. 1. It has two stories in it, both very enjoyable. I'm going to have to find her other stuff. I only wish I had know of her earlier, I would have adored her works as a kid. Her fantasy is right up my alley. So if anyone can suggest anything like that, that'd be super awesome.
Back to top Go down
SailorCelestialTiger
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime21st March 2012, 8:49 am

I've been a proud bookworm pretty much my whole life. My parents used to read Dr. Seuss books to and with me when I was about 2 or 3 years old, and I think that's what sparked it. I've read Babysitter's Club, Boxcar Children, Goosebumps, and a lot of Newberry Award winners. And that was just before age 10. After that, I graduated to Tamora Pierce books (she's easily one of my favorite authors), Chronicles of Narnia, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH, The Hobbit, and the Dear America, My Name Is America, and Royal Diaries books. The Hobbit, to this day, is still my favorite book I've ever read.

Now that I'm older, I shamelessly admit that I still love what is considered Young Adult fiction. I still collect Tamora Pierce, I've read all of Percy Jackson and am reading its sequel (also reading Kane Chronicles), Inkworld Trilogy, Fablehaven,Harry Potter, and I've even got a few Redwall books. Mixed in with those, though, are things like Dresden Files, Sherrilyn Kenyon books (Dark-Hunters, The League, and BAD Agency mostly), the Sword of Truth series, the occasional autobiography, and classics like Little Women and all the books that came after it, Oliver Twist, and Dracula.

My bookshelf is, basically, my closet. There's an entire shelf there devoted to books, as well as an actual three-shelves-high bookshelf that is overflowing. I own more books than I own clothing. study I regret nothing.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime21st March 2012, 12:16 pm

Oh awesome, you like the Sword of Truth series. I've only read the first book in the series, but my BF has read them all. I really need to get on that.

Also! For younger reading, did you read Ella Enchanted? I loved that book. And if you like young adult fantasy, you should read EVERYTHING by Diana Wynn Jones. She did Howl's Moving Castle (which the Miyazaki film was based off of). And has two sequels to it. Plus a whole slew of other worlds. She's an amazing fantasy author and it was a shame when I learned she had died a couple years back. Sad

I've been trying to read the Silmarillion but its hard to get into since the beginning part is all about the gods of Middle Earth and its really confusing. :/
Back to top Go down
Princess Luna
Lotus Crystal

Princess Luna

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Luna.

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime21st March 2012, 12:23 pm

I'm currently on the second Hunger Games book and like even though I'm only 30 or so pages in, it's awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://meganalburger.weebly.com
SeleneHime
Pyramidal Crystal

SeleneHime

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Previously: Sailor Pluto

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime21st March 2012, 2:36 pm

I recently finished the "Night Angle Trilogy" by Brent Weeks. Although the series could be classed as in the gray area between YA and Adult Fantasy, he is very tasteful when it comes to the sexual parts in his books. Unlike a lot of adult fantasy books that seem to be riddled with pointless sex scenes (a waste of word count, in my opinion), it doesn't distract from the story.

Anywho, onto the actual story itself. The trilogy is based around the life of a guild rat in the slums, where anyone born on one side of the city is more or less doomed to an inept life. However, true to the underdog focus, Azoth is apprenticed by the best wetboy (assassin - but better) in the city after much convincing and personal torment to earn it. The first book is spent setting the stage and developing an entirely new persona for Azoth, a faux nobleman, while he learns the art of killing. In that, the plot also gets on the move.

While I don't want to detail the entire trilogy, I will say that it's definitely worth the $20 to buy it. After all, assassins have targets, wetboys have deaders.
Back to top Go down
SailorCelestialTiger
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime21st March 2012, 4:30 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Also! For younger reading, did you read Ella Enchanted? I loved that book.

LoveloveloveLOVE Ella Enchanted. XD I've read my copy of it so many times that the book is coming apart. The movie made me...sad, but that's a rant for another day.
Back to top Go down
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime26th March 2013, 5:46 pm

I started off with a lot of picture books and ventured to the full on text with the Harry Potter series. My favorite book of all time (and a book I simply could not put down as soon as I picked it up) was Order of the Phoenix. I unfortunately had Half Blood Prince ruined for me and only finished it a few years ago. I have yet to read Deathly Hallows and haven't had a desire to.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Torijenova
Juliko
Lotus Crystal

Juliko

Lotus Crystal

Title : Current obsession: Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 11:43 am

I have odd taste in books. Some of my favorites include...

Kathryn Erskine - Mockingbird: This is such a cute book. It's about a young girl with autism who tries to cope with her brother's death, making friends, and learning about empathy. It's so sweet! It has some problems, but they didn't kill my enjoyment of the story.

Marjane Satrapi - Persepolis: I had to read this for a comic book class in college, and boy am I glad I had to read it, because I adore it! A comic about a woman living in Iran during the revolution and pointing out the hypocrisy behind extremist ideologies? Sign me up! I have both the book and the movie, and anyone who's a comic book fan will really love it. It'll definitely change your view about people in the Middle East, particularly Iran.

Frances Hodgson Burnett - A Little Princess: I saw the 1990s movie starring Liesel Matthews a very long time ago, but I didn't get to read the book until a few years ago. I really like it, though it has its problems. Though honestly, I prefer the anime adaptation. It's extremely faithful to the book while expanding on stories and characters really well, using its time wisely.

Lucy Maud Montgomery - Anne of Green Gables: I've read the book and seen the anime, and I love both in their own ways. But it's been a while since I've read the book. I've also read the sequel by Budge Wilson, Before Green Gables.

The Moomins - Tove Jansson: Any Moomin fans out there?
Back to top Go down
http://firechick12012.deviantart.com
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime30th December 2014, 4:11 pm

I truly can't believe in my nearly three years here, I haven't posted what I like to read. Odd.

I'm a young adult reader. I just discovered new adult, which is like "older young adult" that centres around 18-25 year olds and stuff like that. Instead of high school, it's college. The relationships are more mature. 

My two favourite books (hope to add more to this list) are: The Gravity Between Us and The Statistical Probablity of Falling In Love. Both are fun and cute. Def recommend. 

I hope to one day get published. If I do, I intend to write fluffy romance stories of the new adult genre (and probably young adult). LGBT themed though as we don't have NEARLY enough of these books. Especially those of good quality and aren't entirely cliches.
Back to top Go down
silverskywind
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime5th March 2015, 3:36 pm

I've been a "bookworm" ever since I was little! I've read Nancy Drew, Boxcar chidlren, Babysitter's Club, Bsbysitter's Little Sister, Berenstein Bears(until new ones came out and I haven't read the new ones)Redwall series, The Secret Garden, Black Beauty, A Little Princess, some of the Hardy Boys, Sound of Music(yes, I was 6th grade when I read that and it was an "adult" book), The Hobbit, BFG, James and The Giant Peach, Matildia(love the move more than the book), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, and now I read all over the place-I won't mention all the books, but the authors I read now-Clive Cussler, V.C. Andrews, Cynthia Hand, Colleen Houck, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Veronica Roth(Divergent series), Jennifer Donnelly(Waterfire Saga), Christopher Paloini(Eragon series), Brandon Mull, Brandon Sanderson, other authors for the Spirit Animals Books(started by Brandon Mull), John Flanagan, Rick Riroridan, Shannon Hale, Kristen Britian, Anne of Green Gables series(hated the last one), C.S. Lewis-couldn't finish the last book-The Last Battle with the Narina series, Emily of New Moon, tried reading the Hunger Games-couldn't get through the first book, Shannon Hale-Princess Academy and Goose Girl series(have not read her adult ones yet), James Dashner-Maze Runner and 13th reality series, Terry Brooks, Kenneth Thomasma, Michael and Katheleen O'Gear, Island of the Blue Dolphins, Zia  and I'm sure there's others that I've just gotten into that I've forgot!

Others I've read because I had too and will never ever read again: Banner in the Sky, 1984, Animal Farm, To Kill a Mocking bird, Tom Sawyer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Book Thread   The Book Thread - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Book Thread

View previous topic View next topic Back to top