The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Question.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NauticalNeptune
Pyramidal Crystal

NauticalNeptune

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Goddess of the Sea

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 8:41 pm

Ok so I have a question, about the new English manga thing coming out in September. Is it, like, simply a revision of the originals, or new plots and stories? Because I want to read the manga, or at least start, but the old ones are expensive and reading online gets hard on the eyes after a while. But I ran across these and wondered what they were, exactly. Thank you, if anyone can help (:

~Question. 3221295634~
Back to top Go down
http://ednakrabappel.tumblr.com/
SailorBAMF
Pyramidal Crystal

SailorBAMF

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Her Royal Badass MF-er

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 8:48 pm

Think of it like a Disney "vault" DVD. It's been digitally remasterd for better quality, HUZZAH! Same exact thing, but better quality. And higher priced, buahaha. Just apply that concept to the re-release of the Sailor Moon mangas in the US.

I believe Naoko will be featuring some new artwork though :3 Not like artwork in the plot of the manga, but the artwork between each chapter of the manga you know? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://phantasmicmuse.tumblr.com
NauticalNeptune
Pyramidal Crystal

NauticalNeptune

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 8:50 pm

Oh okies., that is what I thought. Lol. Thank you. I mean, I know it seems expensive or whatever, but to get them a bit at a time would be okay I guess. Because I am sure older used ones would be more money because that is how things are.
Back to top Go down
electricBonBon
Pyramidal Crystal

electricBonBon

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 9:02 pm

In Germany the new manga are going to be translated from Japanese to German directly - the original issues were translated from the French ones. I don't know how it was like in the US, but maybe that helps (though SailorBAMF answered your question already, anyway XD)

And, what was her name in the manga? "Serena", too? Because in Germany her name was "Bunny" (-.-), and I heard that in the new issues they'll keep her real name. I hope so *_*
Back to top Go down
NauticalNeptune
Pyramidal Crystal

NauticalNeptune

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 9:11 pm

I think they call her bunny in some. I read some online and saw that, though I am not familiar with them yet because, well, obviously I am wanting to START reading them. ^^
Back to top Go down
electricBonBon
Pyramidal Crystal

electricBonBon

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 9:20 pm

I didn't read the manga, too - well, I only got part 5 & 6 XD So I'm really happy about the new release *_* (here it'll be out in October .. XD)
Back to top Go down
NauticalNeptune
Pyramidal Crystal

NauticalNeptune

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 9:25 pm

I just read random bits of it online on some site someone had scanned all of them. But it got annoying clicking and clicking to go to the next page and also staring at the computer screen reading was not fun.lol. I want the real thing. I'm excited, too!.
Back to top Go down
Siren
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime7th August 2011, 10:29 pm

They are being retranslated along with being re-released, so no Bunny, Mina, Lita. They will be Usagi, Minako, Makoto etc.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Cosmos
Founder Emeritus

Sailor Cosmos

Founder Emeritus

Title : Soldier of the Cosmos

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime8th August 2011, 9:32 am

In the first and second arcs especially, some of the artwork is completely redrawn. I've done comparisons on my Tumblr under "original vs. reprint"
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/Mileyangel321
NauticalNeptune
Pyramidal Crystal

NauticalNeptune

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th August 2011, 10:34 am

Ah, well I knew the names would be as such. I just wanted to make sure it was not entirely new plot. I wanted to be able to attempt to catch up the manga I missed. (which is basicaly all XP)
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th August 2011, 11:15 am

Yeah, basically, back in like 2004 or so in Japan, the manga was rereleased over there with, as Sailor Cosmos said, Naoko redrawing some of the stuff in the manga, especially the first two arcs. She also drew new cover art and a few other things. The manga was condensed from 18 volumes to 12 (so techncially it will be cheaper to get again if they do the usually $10 a pop pricing with manga over here. And speaking of which, if you buy on amazon, they are like only $7 right now. So yeah, cheaper NOT more expensive. Very Happy). Now, years later in good ole 2011, they are finally re releasing it over here.

If you've never read the manga, just wait and get the new releases. In fact, pre order them to show your support! The original Mixx translations weren't horrible, but they flipped the pages so it can be read in the right to left format instead of the left to right format of the original Japanese. This was done because at the time, it wasn't common to keep manga in its original left to right format. That didn't start happening till a couple of years later after the Sailor Moon manga had been released. Also as stated above, Mixx kept a lot of the English dub names with the exception of Serena, they called her Bunny, a literal translation of her japanese name, Usagi. I think I liked that name cause then Mamoru (who was Darien) was able to call her Buns. <3

Anyway, there were a few weird translation issues and the original Mixx graphic novel volumes were of terrible quality. I own all the books up until the SuperS and Stars arc and I'm missing about 1 or 2 of those. About 2 or 3 out of my books are falling apart, one even had a chapter printed in it twice. O_o;; Which I think I ended up taking it out.

Anyway, yeah, if you are very very impatient and need to read it now, I might suggest getting a scanlation. If not, just wait for the official release. Regardless of the way you read your manga, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE support the official release. This will show how much we want Sailor Moon back here in the US and other English speaking countries. Sorry I went long on this reply. Lols
Back to top Go down
NauticalNeptune
Pyramidal Crystal

NauticalNeptune

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th August 2011, 1:42 pm

Lol! Of course I am going to buy them. I just had to make sure what they were. Actually, since my b-days' in October and the first releases are in September, I'm positive that is what I am asking for for my birthday. If I get nothing else, THIS would make me happy! ^_^
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th August 2011, 2:13 pm

My bday is in September. I already preordered the first Moon and V books. So the next one are all up to my bf. ^_^
Back to top Go down
NauticalNeptune
Pyramidal Crystal

NauticalNeptune

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th August 2011, 3:12 pm

Very nice! I hope I can keep up with buying them 'cause I know I will not be able to stop wanting them. heh. ^^
Back to top Go down
Siren
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th August 2011, 6:17 pm

You know I bought the reprints in Japanese and haven't actually looked at them and compared them... maybe I should. Still reminds me to take pictures.
Back to top Go down
Melissa Angelik
Star Seed

Melissa Angelik

Star Seed

Title : The Lost Angel

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 4:53 am

I will be snapping them all up right away. I was spasming in happiness to see the news that the manga was to be rereleased. What makes it best for me is that it shall be Darkhorse who is releasing and translating them, they always produce quality Japanese-to-English manga.
Back to top Go down
http://melissa-angelik.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 9:29 am

The manga is being released, translated, and published by Kodansha USA from what I understand. http://kodanshacomics.com/ I haven't heard a single thing about Darkhorse being involved with it, but I'm sure its not completely impossible, because i think Kodansha is just a publishing company, so they may not necessarily be 100% involved with the translations.

They are also releasing other manga that I believe went under with TokyoPop or had their licenses expired from TokyoPop. I think a couple of them were RaveMaster and Negima! for examples. I've noticed a lot of companies are picking up TokyoPop's old titles, since they decided to kick the bucket.
Back to top Go down
Melissa Angelik
Star Seed

Melissa Angelik

Star Seed

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 5:01 pm

Oh dear! I do believe you're right Brit-chan. I believe I was getting confused with Dark Horse newly releasing a lot of CLAMP's work, including Magic Knight Rayearth (which also falls under Magic Girl manga). Thanks for clearing that up. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 8:04 pm

Yeah! You're correct about them rereleasing CLAMP's work (I really want those Cardcaptor omnibuses and MKR ones too). Even though TokyoPop is gone, it seems like there are many new GOOD things happening in the US manga industry. which is great for us manga fans!
Back to top Go down
Melissa Angelik
Star Seed

Melissa Angelik

Star Seed

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime14th August 2011, 8:35 pm

Agreed! I am looking at acquiring Fruits Basket manga because I've become addicted to the anime. But yes, I saw the new Cardcaptor omnibuses and they are spectacuar. I have the first Magic Knight Rayearth one, and just for all the colour plates, it's worth it. I'm loving the level of quality in manga being published this year. 🐱
Back to top Go down
Elly
Webmistress Emeritus

Elly

Webmistress Emeritus

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 12:10 pm

I heard that the series is being translated by William Flanagan through Kodansha, so I don't believe Dark Horse will be involved at all (though this translator DID work for them at one point, he translated XXXHolic and Tsubasa Chronicles)

From what I hear he does good work, but I haven't read manga in English in a long time so I really don't know. We'll wait and see! I know I'll be purchasing everything as soon as it comes out Wink
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime15th August 2011, 12:27 pm

Well I read up till like vol 9 of Tsubasa Chronicle and from what I remember it was really good. They had appedix pages that explained the honorifics and the various Clamp cameos that appear in that series. So I have high hopes for the SM manga. Smile

Melissa Angelik wrote:
Agreed! I am looking at acquiring Fruits Basket manga because I've become addicted to the anime. But yes, I saw the new Cardcaptor omnibuses and they are spectacuar. I have the first Magic Knight Rayearth one, and just for all the colour plates, it's worth it. I'm loving the level of quality in manga being published this year. 🐱

I own ALL of the Tokyo Pop Fruits Basket manga. You should DEF get it. WELL worth it. I collected that series for years while they were still releasing volumes. Love it. <3
Back to top Go down
Melissa Angelik
Star Seed

Melissa Angelik

Star Seed

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime16th August 2011, 1:21 am

Will do Brit-chan!
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th September 2011, 3:00 pm

So, I too am superrrr excited about the release coming out TUESDAY~ I never read the first volumes.
But, why did Miss Takeuchi (or whoever decided on the art) put the senshi in their eternal fukus on the covers?
(I had the photos posted but I'm not sure if they're considered spoilers or not)
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th September 2011, 3:48 pm

I don't think the eternal fukus are really spoilers anymore. Most have either seen Eternal Sailor Moon or have read the manga or seen pictures. I'm not really sure why she chose the eternal fukus. Maybe she just likes them a lot?
Back to top Go down
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th September 2011, 11:15 pm

We're getting them as imports here... will definitely be more expensive than for you guys! I guess like equivalent to $18 or something. But that's pretty much par for the course here, it's an expensive place. ;; They will be mine anyway, even if I have to eat terrible food all month.
Back to top Go down
http://tofsla.dreamwidth.org
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime9th September 2011, 11:51 pm

Even if you order off of amazon??
Back to top Go down
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime10th September 2011, 12:05 am

No such site in Sweden! Would have to be ordered from the uk, and the postage would kill the difference. We do have a couple of online bookshops, but for manga the price difference is negligible. But seriously, that price is just what one pays for any English language manga here pretty much.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime10th September 2011, 12:06 am

Aww. I'm so tempted to just buy it for you and ship it your way but I bet shipping would be ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
Toft
Pyramidal Crystal

Toft

Pyramidal Crystal

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime10th September 2011, 12:16 am

That's super sweet of you, but yeah, pretty sure it would be outrageous. I'll manage! Very Happy the price probably doesn't seem as bad to me as it does to you, anyway - like I say, everything costs more here than in the US. Or in fact most other countries outside of northern Europe...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Question. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Question.   Question. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Question.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top