The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? Empty
PostSubject: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 9:33 pm

Sailor Jupiter uses both electricity and plant based attacks. Even if her plant based attacks are few, she still has them. So my question is, why? No other senshi as far as I know has two different sets of attacks. What do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Sailor Ceres/Cere Cere

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 9:36 pm

Well I think it had something to do with her element being earth we can understand the plant part but also lightning as well but I think it's awesome either way. I'm sure mythology could answer your question. I just don't feel like typing it all out tonight.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Ethereal_Wishes http://ethereal-wishes.tumblr.com/
Cerechan
Lotus Crystal

Cerechan

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC official Sailor Ceres/Cere Cere

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 9:41 pm

Zeus was the god of thunder and her Japanese name means some sort of tree so that could be why as well.
Back to top Go down
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Ethereal_Wishes http://ethereal-wishes.tumblr.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 9:48 pm

I just read a theory on tumblr that helped stem the idea of this topic Razz someone suggested that Jupiter was supposed to have duties as both an inner and an outer; protecting both the princess and to guard against distant threats. Here is the actual suggestion:

Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? Tumblr_m2t40voWbU1qluysgo1_500

I actually think this is an interesting theory, since Jupiter is I believe considered an outer planet.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 9:52 pm

Ok, I can break this down for you guys. In Asian countries, there are generally five main elements (btw, Jupiter's element is NOT earth). The elements would be Water, Fire, Earth, Metal, and Wood.

So to break down the senshi, here's a little chart for the main five elements:

Water ---> Mercury ---> Suisei in Japanese (literally WaterStar)
Fire ---> Mars ---> Kasei in Japanese (Firestar)
Earth ---> Saturn ---> Dosei (Earth Star)
Metal/Gold ---> Venus ---> Kinsei (Goldstar)
Wood ---> Jupiter ---> Mokusei (Woodstar)

This is why Jupiter has wood based attacks because the Japanese word for Jupiter means wood star. Remember, even though it wasn't showcased in the anime, Jupiter's first attack in the manga was Flower Hurricane. The Greek/Roman mythological influences in Sailor Moon pretty much explains Jupiter's electrical attacks, like Jupiter Thunder. Naoko didn't just base all the characters off of Greek/Roman gods all together, she of course had her Asian influences as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 9:56 pm

Ooo! That's interesting to know! I knew about like the Asian main elements but I didn't actually think about that Surprised

Now this just makes me think of like Pluto, Uranus, Neptune and their powers and what type they are...

Now I can't help but wonder, and if you don't mind explaining if you know: how is Saturn tied to earth? Smile

(P.S. -- how kinda unfair; Jupiter is the only one with two sets Razz)

Last edited by Lady Tuxedo on 2nd August 2012, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 9:57 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wu_Xing

Has some more info on it. The reason Uranus, Pluto, and Neptune are left out is because during the ancient times, those planets had not been discovered. So they thought the five elements synched up to the five planets that were already known (Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn).
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 10:02 pm

I'm guessing Saturn is just tied to earth because that's the planet earth is associated with in their elemental system? But I still don't see the earth elements of Sailor Saturn x.x

Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 10:11 pm

Lady Tuxedo wrote:
I'm guessing Saturn is just tied to earth because that's the planet earth is associated with in their elemental system? But I still don't see the earth elements of Sailor Saturn x.x

Earth ---> Dosei, The same character "do" is in Hotaru's family name as the "to" in "tomoe". Everyone but Minako has the character that identifies their planet in their family name. Including Mamoru.

The Earth element in Asia is a bit different, it is the "Equaliser", the idea of "elements" in Asia is more philosophical. The Earth is the normalising element, the balancer which separates it from the other four, likely the reason Saturn was chosen to sit out in the original cast of five and the reason why Saturn is on-par with the balancing Sailor Moon. The Asian elements are more about attributes tied to their respective elements rather than what exists in the physical world.

Saturn is one of the Outer Soldiers, who are quite tied to Western Mythology. Perhaps its this divide between West and East that separates the two groups? Sailor Saturn seems to be more connected to the ideas behind "Earth" rather than the physical ground. Earth is not to be confused with Wood here.

As for Makoto's "greediness", remember the other gods that the soldiers are tied too don't really have physical properties. "Thievery", and "War" are difficult to express physically. But when you think about it, all the guardian soldiers have some double-benefit.

Mars ---> Spiritual Sense as well as various chants and mantras from Shinotism
Mercury ---> Intelligence and the computer
Venus ---> (the real greedy one) not only Love, but light (crescent beam), metal (love-me chain, expressing her asian counterpart), sulphur (from the physical planet venus), her physical nimbility as a volleyball player and as Sailor V and all the various weapons she attained.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime2nd August 2012, 11:01 pm

Hmmm...thank you for all this Miki ^^ very thought provoking and explanatory.
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime4th August 2012, 8:00 am

Awesome members here are awesome. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
-Evilbunnie-
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime5th August 2012, 6:31 am

Oak is also known to be Zeus(Jupiter)'s favorite tree, a symbol of his great strength. His Oracle resided in Dodona temple which was said to be surrounded by Oak trees and also housed an Oak tree. The Oak at the temple was said by some to have been the first to speak prophecies at Dodona. Zeus has also been known to wear a crown of Oak leaves... Oak has also called the "King of Trees" and is known to be the tree most succeptable to being struck by lightning.
I'm not sure where Coconut Cyclones come from though... perhaps it has something to do with that potpourri ball she sometimes wears around her waist? Coconut Cyclone does sound more like a very pleasant Glade Plug In scent.Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? 3098893119
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime5th August 2012, 9:59 am

Yeah, I get that. I guess it didn't really cross my mind to think Jupiter and think of Zeus XD but at this rate, then I feel like she's the only one (aside from Neptune?) who has attributes of the Greek/Roman god who shares the same name...
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime6th August 2012, 8:05 pm

^.~ I know you've pretty much already got this covered, but just in case you wanted to have a good read, Here is my tumblr link to my Sailor Moon Astronomy tie-ins. For info on Saturn and her tie in to Earth and growth/rebirth, check out the "Saturn Planet Power!" link; ditto goes for Jupiter, or any other senshi you wanted to learn about. ^^

And if that link doesn't work, then here's the info right here in the cauldron: here!
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime6th August 2012, 8:55 pm

Sailor Uranus wrote:
^.~ I know you've pretty much already got this covered, but just in case you wanted to have a good read, Here is my tumblr link to my Sailor Moon Astronomy tie-ins. For info on Saturn and her tie in to Earth and growth/rebirth, check out the "Saturn Planet Power!" link; ditto goes for Jupiter, or any other senshi you wanted to learn about. ^^

And if that link doesn't work, then here's the info right here in the cauldron: here!

Click on This. ^

Kyra is the Mistress of this kind of information.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime6th August 2012, 9:47 pm

Lol okay I will. Thank you guys <3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?   Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Theory: Why does Sailor Jupiter have two elemental based attacks?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top