The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

Slang: Love it or hate it?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime26th August 2011, 8:00 pm

While "mama" can be used as slang, I had the impression it really was in reference to the relationship between Chibiusa and Usagi. It sounds like a flub the dub would make. There is no way, however, to know with certainty what "mama" was supposed to convey in that context.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime26th August 2011, 9:17 pm

Well the only thing that is odd is in the sub version of the R movie, she doesn't mention anything about "mama" during that scene, but towards the end of the movie, Chibi-Usa comments on how Usagi is "everyone's mom". Just an interesting take i guess.
Back to top Go down
Orphaned Star
Star Seed

Orphaned Star

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1st September 2011, 12:06 pm

While I do think they did have an over-usage of slang in the dub, I think it was also an attempt of the adults in charge to "relate" to kids back in the day. For some reason they thought we had a secret language of "being cool kids", even today it happens where older adults are trying to communicate with kids and it seems like there's a giant language barrier somehow.

Anyway, back to the slang relating to the dub: Yes, I do think it was a distracting thing and being of such a young age when I watched it I had no idea what they were saying sometimes and it did make me a little confused.
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 11:41 am

Brit-chan wrote:
Can't say that I have ever really heard someone refer to someone as as mama unless they are their mama. But I am from the south and we are rather ignorant.lol

Hey now! Not all of us from the south are ignorant! /livesinalabama
Neither are you, Brit-chan. =P

I remember that phrase, "Moon Mama"; I too thought she meant it literally. But now I can see where it's slang, and rather irritating. xD
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 2:54 pm

Haha i was being facetious just so ya know. Wink
Back to top Go down
Apple Stardust
Pyramidal Crystal

Apple Stardust

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime27th September 2011, 9:03 pm

I guess sarcasm is hard to read online. xD;
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime28th September 2011, 12:56 am

I think its safe to assume a majority of the time i'm being a sarcastic ass. XD
Back to top Go down
Nina
Star Seed

Nina

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime28th September 2011, 10:42 am

I have a question... what's "phat"?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime28th September 2011, 11:35 am

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=phat

Basically means cool or pretty hot. I find urban dictionary to be a great source if you want to know what some slang means. XD
Back to top Go down
Chillygodzilly
Lotus Crystal

Chillygodzilly

Lotus Crystal

Title : Previously Lovely Lexi

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime1st October 2011, 5:06 pm

I understand the reason for slang in the dub
A.) Relate to the Audience
B.) Change inappropriate or Irrelevant to an american or other audience

but personally I'm not in favor of it. I'm not a large fan of the dub besides.
Back to top Go down
http://www.chillygodzilly.tumblr.com http://chillygodzilly.deviantart.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/baybswurl95
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime6th October 2011, 5:06 pm

Quote :
I understand the reason for slang in the dub
A.) Relate to the Audience
B.) Change inappropriate or Irrelevant to an american or other audience

I can understand that for the first two seasons. Classic and R aired in America in the mid 90s. R ended in late 90's due to "the lost episodes". I don't understand the slang in S and SuperS. They aired in early 2000s. Sure there is a slang, but not the slang from 90s. They should have updated the slang at least. As preteen I never heard anybody say the bomb!
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime6th October 2011, 7:16 pm

When I worked at a putt putt place doing birthday parties while I was in high school, one lady told me on my comment card that "I was the bomb". I think thats the only time i know of where someone seriously used it. lol all other times i think were said making fun of the slang.
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime6th October 2011, 7:47 pm

I've been re-watching DBZ (not Kai, but the episodes they used to show during the 90s and early 2000s) and the slang makes me giggle every episode.
Back to top Go down
Paprika
Lotus Crystal

Paprika

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Chibis

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime9th October 2011, 6:37 pm

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
Thereisnospoon303 wrote:
Speaking of Usagi's dub voice, I recall going into a Sailor Moon chat (back in the days of AOL's height of power) and reading an overall negative response to the new voice actress they brought in for the S season. She was especially grating on the ears.

Don't even get me started. I could write you a Master's Thesis on how horrendous that girl was. I remember when Toonami FINALLY aired the S season after their lengthy hiatus. I was so eagerly excited and then that girl spoke and I actually was put into a depression for a very long time. Back then, I thought the R season Usagi was beautiful in her voice and Terri Hawkes was Usagi in every way.

The new dub was terrible for so many reasons. First of all, she was a bad VA. I do not know what was up with her voice, but it was just horrendous. What added to the misery of listening to her speak was that she tried to be a new version of Terri Hawkes -- she tried to imitate the voice inflections and attitude that Hawkes brought to the character of Usagi. If the new VA had possibly tried her own style, maybe there would have been some hope.

But in general, her voice was terrible. She replaced the VA of the woman who had made Usagi everything I knew her to be, and she tried to mimic it.

Yay!! I am so glad I am not the ONLY one to think the that the VA in S and SuperS was herendous! I often compare the voice acting of Linda Ballantyne for Usagi as if someone was clawing a black board to the point where my ears were bleeding.

As for the DiC dub script, I think what the biggest issue was the that script was dated and they tried too hard to make it "Americanized". I think besides Robotech, Sailor Moon was probably one of the bigger series to be aired on national television so they were also trying to aim it at an audience who would techinically used that type of verbage. I think now adays (with the exception of Cloverway), a lot dubbing companies have become "smarter" realizing that the "audience" realizes that these stories really don't evolve around America so they try to be more true to the script.

Now for the Cloverway script, it was so inconsistent, I was literally laughing at some of the episodes that really didn't have comedy in it. I mean, Cloverway chucked that script out so fast that it seemed sloppy and they couldn't agree on simple subjects such as...

1. Transformation Phrases: I often heard the voice actresses for Uranus and Neptune going back and forth between "Planet Power", "Star Power" and there was even one episode where they used "Make-up".

2. Attack Names

3. Confusion on the script from episode to episode as it was so inconsistent between the characters. We had slang that belonged in the 2000's and then we had slang that belonged in the early 1990's.

I often tell people that I actually like the DiC version of Sailor Moon more than Cloverway due to the fact, while I agree DiC overly censored Sailor Moon (again, mainly due to time period and audience), at least everything was consistent when it came to the simple things for Sailor Moon. The way Cloverway handled the script made my head hurt and what made it worse is that Cloverway is an international branch of Toei.

So there's my two cents ^^
Back to top Go down
http://www.paprika-studios.com
SerenaFan
Star Seed

SerenaFan

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime16th December 2011, 8:35 pm

I thought the slang was funny and what the characters said to each other. "Go Bleach your roots ya creep!" lol. Yes they spoke like American's, but that was all I knew. When I watch the early episodes now it feels strange to watch them because they are so different. My mum cringes when she watches the early episodes because we haven't watched them in years. Not because they are bad, but the dialogue is so dramatic.
Especially on the episode where Miss Lambert gets married. The whole episode is so hilarious because of how dramatic everything is. I love the episodes, but the early ones where a little too cheesey. Serena's other voice actress made it worse, she sounded too childish. Terri was perfect. (not Linda or Terri, the other woman....Tracey?)

I HATED the S and SuperS voice actress for Sailor Moon. She sounded like a chipmunk on helium. It really hurts my ears to listen to it. I tried to get used to it, which I eventually did, but I still hated it. When I went to listen to Terri Hawkes again it was like "ahhh" for my ears. I didn't like the new voice actresses from Mina and Amy either. They tried to make it sound like them, but I didn't like them. Especially Amy's! I did like Rini's new voice though, it was bliss it listen to! The original voice is horrible to listen to, it makes her sound more bratty and annoying. The new voice made her seem more sweet. I think one other voice changed but I can't remember which one.

I thought the the spark from the first 2 seasons were lost when they lost the original actresses. There was no humour anymore either. But it wasn't just the dubbing...I didn't like the plot lines and how it got more darker.

The first 2 seasons were funny, romantic and sweet. Then it really changed, even Darien wasn't himself anymore. I thought he was cold to Serena and also Serena slapping Darien?!? What was with that? It didn't help that I hated Uranus and Neptune. Pluto is sweet and I love Saturn! But Uranus and Neptune are so cold and so nasty to Serena. This is why I dislike the S and SuperS season. The characters just weren't lovable anymore.
Stars was ok. But Usagi (changed name because it was in Japanese) was a totally different person I didn't like. I disliked the Starlights and it was a bit more 'sexy' than the other seasons with the nudity, Uranus and Neptune's relationship was blatantly obvious and also the fight scenes I found disturbing.
(wasn't used to it being censored by America). It was far more 'darker' than the other seasons I felt. I didn't like Usagi's appearance with the wings and also I did not like how her appearance when not in Sailor form changed. I thought she looked way different and thinner? I did like it when Mamoru proposed to Usagi, it was sweet.

You can tell I'm a Classic and R season major fan. I still watch S and SuperS I have them on DVD. But I will never class them as good in my opinion. It's a shame DIC didn't dub them

I was puzzled at how different Serena looked in some episodes, especially in the R season. Serena looked quite 'hard' with how she was animated. Especially in the episode where Serena goes to the lake and Darien is there. She looks sorta scary..she is not really pretty looking in this episode. It was like that in some other episodes too. I don't really get what went on there. I read there were different animators? Why?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime17th December 2011, 8:50 am

A lot of this stuff you brought up really should be in another thread or if you want, start a new thread about it if there isn't already one. This goes way off topic of the slang in the dub and goes more into other aspects of the show. I would be glad to answer that but I don't want to derail this thread anymore.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3rd February 2012, 5:57 pm

Its dubs like this which makes people like me assume all americans speak like that.

I think its wicked cool though...
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3rd February 2012, 7:32 pm

I see what you did there.
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
DizzyLizzy24
Pyramidal Crystal

DizzyLizzy24

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : Moon Prism Power!

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime3rd February 2012, 7:49 pm

First of all... I love it when Rini says Do your 'thang' moon mama! I seriously have about 20 minutes of this movie memorized...dubbed of course. It was without choice and just happened from watching it on my VHS from a young age over and over. Very Happy

The slang is silly, but eh, in America it was geared towards little kids. And i also see the characters as totally different people. In my mind Serena and Usagi are different people. I'll explain....

I like to see Sailor Moon in all of it's forms.

So far I've seen PGSM, Half of Sailor Moon in Japanese, All of the English Dubbed and the manga. To me, each and every one is different. It's a new story, which takes on a heart of it's own. Each one gives me a different feeling.

The English I watch for nostalgic reasons and feel like a kid watching it full of very simple hope. I love listening to Serena , Lita, Amy,Ray, Mina, Rini....gosh just the whole group!!! They are WHY i watched it.

When I watched PGSM i was excited to see how it was adapted to TV. I love the Japaneses actresses! I loved the silly graphics. I was seeing how Sailor Moon looked like if she was human!

The original anime: I was thrilled to see how adult it was. I no longer felt like a kid watching it, i was able to RECONNECT with it.

And finally the Manga, I love seeing it in it's original state. There are so many things about it that makes me just appreciate the detail in each and every drawing. It showed me how beautiful it was.

I don't de-value any form of sailor moon, i just see it as another thing to love.

(Soon I will start the musicals!!!! Very Happy )

Sorry if this goes off topic slightly. All this just sorta connected itself in my mind....I'm intuitive and this is how my mind works Razz
Back to top Go down
http://moonfrisbee.tumblr.com/
SailorCelestialTiger
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime25th February 2012, 11:25 am

The use of slang itself I don't mind. God knows I've picked up slang from all parts of the country and a few other countries. XD However, that being said, the slang that was used in the English dubs I had never, and still haven't, heard outside of TV. No one I've ever encountered says things like "He thinks you're really phat", "I thought you said he was really fly!", or "You're really trippin' when it comes to knowing what's on a girl's mind."

I think the rule should be that if you're going to throw slang into the script, make sure it's stuff that people actually *say* in this decade.

............unless we're talking about certain characters like Setsuna and Ami. When they use slang, it just sounds wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Lily
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Lily

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime8th June 2014, 10:13 am

The slang kind of bothered me too because you uses so much slang in their everyday lives?

Mercury: Go bleach your roots creep!

What does that even mean?

Darien: Who's this nutbomb? Chic of baghdad? *Asking about moonlight knight*

Wow. That was racist.

Nephlyte: "You're no match for me Sailor Trash!"
Moon: "Just get a taste of Moon Power coming at'cha creep!

Noo comment.

"New player's up and you're heading for a bad fall!" ~ Lita, lifting the youma up.
"The game's over" ~ Moon after Lita throws the youma.

Game over? New player up? Bad fall? 

"Me, Serena, a princess? Now this is way past weird."
Yes ruin the mood! Please!

Then there is the whole talk about moon power and planet power.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime11th June 2014, 7:54 pm

Sailor Lily wrote:

Personally for me, this is one of my absolute favorite and memorable quotes from the dub. xD She's saying this in reference to Malachite's (kunzite) platinum blonde (yes i know its white, but if you are americanizing this using california valley girl slang, just work with it...) and how he needs to bleach the roots of his hair. As in like "BUZZ OFF WEIRDO WITH BAD HAIR".

My favorite sassy dub Mercury quote. xD
Back to top Go down
Sailor Lily
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Lily

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime15th August 2014, 11:57 am

Small Lady wrote:
Sailor Lily wrote:

Personally for me, this is one of my absolute favorite and memorable quotes from the dub. xD  She's saying this in reference to Malachite's (kunzite) platinum blonde (yes i know its white, but if you are americanizing this using california valley girl slang, just work with it...) and how he needs to bleach the roots of his hair. As in like "BUZZ OFF WEIRDO WITH BAD HAIR".

My favorite sassy dub Mercury quote. xD
Ohhhhh xD I'm surprised I never noticed that line the first time I watched this version

Malachite: Fine! *Proceeds to bleach his roots* 

I love how Sailor moon abridged handled this scene. xD
Back to top Go down
Sakuranbo
Pyramidal Crystal

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime6th August 2019, 10:08 am

I feel like the slang used in the 90s dub is a little too much and very unnecessary too. That's why I can never take the 90s dub very seriously because of that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Slang: Love it or hate it?   Slang: Love it or hate it? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slang: Love it or hate it?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top