The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
An Ordinary Girl
Lotus Crystal

An Ordinary Girl

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Naru

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion) Empty
PostSubject: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion)   Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion) I_icon_minitime15th September 2018, 7:33 pm

First things first, if you haven't watched this series yet, then for our mutual benfit, clear your schedule for the next six hours and thoroughly peruse the show before continuing here.  You'll be glad you did, I promise.  I also highly recommend this course of action if you've only watched it once.  A re-watch is rewarding for the wise.

*Spoilers ahead*

So, I just finished re-watching PMMM; and it is only seems more amazing for the re-watch.  Everything was just so well thought-out!  And Kyubey is evil.  I know there are arguments otherwise, but his behavior in the first several episodes is extremely manipulative in light of the reality.

There are a thousand and one things I could rave about here, but instead I'll just throw out a few talking points so we can get a discussion going!  This is just about the series, by the way.  Rebellion needs a whole 'nother thread, I think.

• Is there any theme of the show you strongly agree or disagree with?

• Which character is your favorite?  Which was the best written?

• Which plot twist shocked you the most?

• What are your thoughts on the ending?  How would you have liked the series to end? or how were you expecting it to end? Anything you didn't quite understand?

• Did you find any inconsistencies in the series?

• (Insert your discussion point here.)
Back to top Go down
An Ordinary Girl
Lotus Crystal

An Ordinary Girl

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Naru

PostSubject: Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion)   Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion) I_icon_minitime15th September 2018, 7:53 pm

[*]Is there any theme of the show you strongly agree or disagree with?

The idea that all wishes are selfish in some degree is haunting me.  I don't really like the idea, but am starting to be persuaded of it.  I'm a pessimist.

[*]Which character is your favorite?  Which was the best written?

I think the best written character was Homura.  Her backstory and its late reveal made her character very mysterious and interesting; and later deserving of pity.

My favorite character?  I dunno... leaving Rebellion aside, it's probably Homura, but Kyoko's cool, too.

[*]Which plot twist shocked you the most?

I honestly can't remember being shocked at episode 3, so I must have been spoiler-ed to some degree.  What really got me was the revelation of what a Soul Gem really was.

[*]What are your thoughts on the ending?  How would you have liked the series to end? or how were you expecting it to end? Anything you didn't quite understand?

By the ending, I was done trying to guess what Madoka would wish for.  I think my last hypothesis was something along the lines of wishing the Incubators to leave the Earth.  But that might have had weird repercussions.  Anyway, I liked the ending insofar as it is bittersweet and not sugary.  Homura never quite got what she wanted (see Rebellion), so my heart really went out to her.  To Madoka, too, for becoming a concept - but she chose that path.

[*]Did you find any inconsistencies in the series?

Not really, and that really amazes me.  The show was wonderfully written.  The only minor blip I can think of is that Kyubey, who is supposed to have no emotions and no understanding of emotions, shows emotional responses in his speech and actions.

You could say he's faking it for his own gain.  But there are some times (eg. his fear at Madoka's wish, or his pride after Madoka becomes a witch in timeline 4) when he has nothing to gain by faking emotion.  One could also say that he is lying about not having emotions - perhaps so he doesn't have to explain why he harvests human emotion and not Incubator emotion.  But if Kyubey could lie, he would have done things much differently, I think, and lie more often.

In the end, I guess it's just humanly impossible to make a character without emotions, since we have no concept of an emotion-less being.
Back to top Go down
TS Sailor Cronus
Lotus Crystal

TS Sailor Cronus

Lotus Crystal

Title : TITAN SOLDIER OF STARS AND DESTINY! SAILOR CRONUS!

PostSubject: Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion)   Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion) I_icon_minitime16th March 2019, 9:33 am

So I know it's technically taboo, but I didn't finish reading the OP or the first reply. I haven't finished the series yet, but I plan to either today or tomorrow, so I'll be back here once I'm done. I honestly might even be back before anyone sees my post. XD I just needed a short vent, lol. 

I just came here to say that I just finished watching episode 3 a few minutes ago. I'm sure you know what that means.

(I even knew what was coming up but still... ouch!!)
Back to top Go down
http://tssc-manga.weebly.com https://www.deviantart.com/enfpurplekitti
nm___i3bfc
Lotus Crystal

nm___i3bfc

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Kakyuu

PostSubject: Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion)   Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion) I_icon_minitime30th June 2019, 5:12 pm

As I've now watched some more magical girl series, this show's deconstruction is quite really excellent. :diana1: So I quite really agree that it is very well thought-out. The movie was also good, in that regard.

Which character is your favorite? Which was the best written?
Homura would be the best written character, and probably the favorite character, for me. She is not only someone that one really feels sorry for, but she is probably the exemplary instance of the "deconstructed magical girl". Even in Rebellion she would still probably be these.

Which plot twist shocked you the most?
The revealing of the source of the witches and the revealing on Homura's witch-barrier in Rebellion were probably the twists that had most shocked me. Some of the show was spoiled for me, so I kind of expected twists, and was not as surprised with them.

The happy, if bittersweet, ending in the episode series was satisfying, in that the suffering of the characters would eventually end, but (apologies to OP for discussing Rebellion so much) the ending of the film better matched the series' theme(s), in retrospect. Not only did it continue the deconstructing of the "expected magical girl ending", but the kind of ending that was given in Rebellion was happy, in some ways; the magical girls' suffering isn't needed anymore, and their lives don't have to end in depression, or wait until they give up, to be satisfying and peaceful for them.

Did you find any inconsistencies in the series?
I don't think that there were many inconsistencies in it that I remember, save for the weird explanation of entropy, which probably doesn't count as an inconsistency exactly, inside the show that is, and the things that were already mentioned in this thread previously.

Some additional notes
The sort of annoying thing about PMMM is that the focus on the "grim" or "dark" environment with magical girls seems excessive sometimes, missing the other parts that make it such a good magical girl deconstruction. As fans of Sailor Moon would know, many magical girl series have elements that are dark or serious, and magical girls getting involved in dire situations, or difficult decisions, are part of a pretty significant number of series.

Also, as somewhat unhealthy as Homura's obsession with Madoka seems, the two do make one very cute pairing. Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion) 2422052349
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion)   Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Discussion)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top