The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

The History of Halloween!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Artemis
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Support Director

Artemis

Inner Senshi AdminMember Support Director

Title : Formerly Sailor Gallifrey // "Professional" Bassoon Player ♡

The History of Halloween! Empty
PostSubject: The History of Halloween!   The History of Halloween! I_icon_minitime27th October 2016, 6:20 pm

The History of Halloween! KeruKyA
The History of Halloween! 1018529576 It's Halloween, everyone! The History of Halloween! 1018529576
But do you know where this holiday really came from? Read on to find out!

~The Origins of Halloween~

The origins of modern-day Halloween can be traced back to the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain (pronounced sow-in) which marked the transition from summer to winter. The Celts, who lived 2000 years ago in what is now the country of Ireland, began their new year each November 1st but celebrated Samhain the night before the new year, when they believed that the lines between the worlds of the living and the dead became blurred. The Celts also believed that the presence of otherworldly spirits made it easier for the Druids, who were Celtic priests, to make all-important predictions about the future before the start of a long, cold winter.

To celebrate Samhain, the Celts lit massive sacred bonfires where they made sacrifices to the Celtic gods by burning crops and animals. People gathered together dressed up in costumes typically made from animal heads and skins, and they participated in fortune telling. At the end of the evening, they re-lit their hearth fires from the sacred bonfire to help protect them during the oncoming winter season.
~All Saints Day, All-hallows, and All-hallows Eve~

After the Roman Empire conquered a large portion of the Celts' territory by 43 C.E., two Roman celebrations, Feralia and Pomona, were incorporated into the Samhain tradition. During Feralia, the Romans traditionally commemorated the passing of the dead, and Pomona was a day to honor Pomona, the Roman goddess of fruit and trees. The symbol of Pomona is the apple, which is believed to be the origin of the tradition of "bobbing" for apples practiced during Halloween today.

Around 735 C.E., Pope Gregory III expanded the Christian festival of All Martyrs' Day, put in place by Pope Boniface IV, to include all saints and moved the date to November 1st. Later, in 1000 C.E., the Christian Church created All Souls' Day, observed on November 2nd, to honor the dead--this is widely believed to be an effort by the church to replace the Celtic festival of the dead with a church-sanctioned celebration. Similar to Samhain, All Souls' Day involved bonfires, parades, and dressing up in costume. The celebration of All Saints' Day began to be also referred to as All-hallows or All-hallowmas (from the Middle English term Alholowmesse meaning All Saints’ Day). The night before it, the date of the Celts' traditional celebration of Samhain, similarly began to be referred to as All-hallows Eve and later Halloween.
~Halloween's Arrival in America~

In America during the 19th century, Halloween was much more commonly celebrated in Maryland and the southern colonies and not the colonies of New England (due to their strict Protestant beliefs). A distinctly American version of Halloween began to emerge after the beliefs and customs of the Europeans and American Indians blended together--celebrations included "play parties", public events in which groups of people shared stories of the dead, danced, and sang. Autumn festivities were common by the middle of the 19th century, but Halloween was not nationally celebrated yet at the time.

A flood of new Irish and English immigrants in the second half of the 19th century helped popularize the celebration of Halloween everywhere in the country, as Americans began the practice of trick-or-treating, practiced then by simply going to houses to ask for food or money, after taking from the traditions of the new European immigrants. At the turn of the century, America moved to make Halloween a more child-friendly and community-centered celebration, promoting Halloween parties that involved games, food, and festive costumes rather than focusing on ghosts and witchcraft. As a result, Halloween stopped most of its superstitious and religious traditions, evolving into the secular holiday that it is today.
~Halloween Celebrations in the Modern Era~

Two of the most common traditions celebrated today during Halloween are trick-or-treating and dressing in costume, and both have European and/or Celtic origins. Trick-or-treating likely dates back to the celebration of All Souls' Day in England, when poor citizens would beg for food and families would give them "soul cakes" in exchange for their promise to pray for the dead relatives of that family. Children eventually took up this practice, called "going a-souling", and received food and money from houses in their neighborhood. The tradition of dressing in costume originated in Europe and has roots in Celtic tradition as well, because people believed that they would encounter ghosts if they left their house on Halloween, so they wore masks outside after dark to avoid being recognized.
~Halloween Superstitions~

Halloween has always been a holiday focused on mystery, magic, and superstition. The customs and superstitions of Halloween today are far scarier than the friendly spirits of the Samhain celebrations during the Celtic era. Crossing paths with a black cat is seen as unlucky, likely because of the belief from the Middle Ages that witches avoided detection by turning into cats. Walking under ladders, breaking mirrors, stepping on cracks in the road, and spilling salt are all also considered things to be avoided around Halloween.

In ancient times, many superstitions revolved around the future, specifically of young women who were hoping to find a husband. In Scotland, young women commonly tossed apple peels over their shoulders in hope that the peels would fall on the floor in the shape of the initials of their future husband, and they also stood in darkened rooms in front of mirrors while holding a candle in hope to see the reflection of their future husband's face in the mirror.

No matter what the time period, all of these Halloween superstitions rely on the good will of the same "spirits" who were worshiped by the Celts thousands of years ago.

Thanks so much for reading all this about the history of Halloween! I hope you enjoyed it! The History of Halloween! 1434556979 As a bonus, if you send me a PM with the answers to the questions below, you will receive this bumper made by the lovely Diana:

The History of Halloween! 2w9JXHG

Here are the questions:

Code:
[list=1][*][b]What is the name of the ancient Celtic festival from which Halloween originated?[/b]

[*][b]How did the Celts celebrate the holiday referred to in Question 1? (Please provide only one example!)[/b]

[*][b]What empire conquered the territory of the Celts, influencing their customs and traditions?[/b]

[*][b]Who expanded All Martyrs' Day to include all saints (making it All Saints' Day)?[/b]

[*][b]Around what time period did the celebration of Halloween become widely popular all across America?[/b]

[*][b]What are two of the most common traditions practiced during Halloween today?[/b]

[*][b]What are some examples of Halloween superstitions? (Please list 2 or more!)[/b][/list]

And speaking of questions, if you have any questions about the history of Halloween, feel free to post them here and I will try and answer them the best I can! Happy Halloween, everyone! ❤️
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonadventures.tumblr.com/
Eidolune

Eidolune

Title : GC's Official Princess Serenity

PostSubject: Re: The History of Halloween!   The History of Halloween! I_icon_minitime28th October 2016, 2:32 pm

Sent in my answers!! Love the thread!! Anything Celtic is great!
Back to top Go down
http://tallladyserenity.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9xMFgmhp4C7iHaQdoWs4Ig
Sailor Jupiter
Inner Senshi Admin
Member Relations Director

Sailor Jupiter

Inner Senshi Admin  Member Relations Director

Title : *~Jupes | Jupi~*

PostSubject: Re: The History of Halloween!   The History of Halloween! I_icon_minitime29th October 2016, 11:56 am

Samhain is still celebrated today by Wiccans and Pagans around the world. I'm going to a Samhain ball tonight and I'm very excited! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sailor Makoto
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Makoto

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter

PostSubject: Re: The History of Halloween!   The History of Halloween! I_icon_minitime29th October 2016, 6:25 pm

There's another day resembles Halloween in Mexico, Nov 2nd (All Souls Day, right after All Saints Day) is Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the Dead), known for a humorous look at death and the afterlife, from skeleton costumes to skull shaped candies. The holiday originates from the Aztecs, the ancestors of many Mexicans, combined with Catholic Christianity brought from the Spaniards into Mexico (Spain ruled Mexico from about 1521-1821).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The History of Halloween!   The History of Halloween! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The History of Halloween!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top