The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

First Video Game stories?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Phantom Thief
Star Seed

The Phantom Thief

Star Seed

First Video Game stories? Empty
PostSubject: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime28th March 2016, 7:18 pm

A joyous evening to ye all. This time, I thought I'd go ahead and try to make a thread in the gaming lounge. Here, we can discuss the stories of how we came into playing video games.

I'll go first. 

Twas the year of 1999, a young Thief had awoke on Christmas (fairly sick mind you), to find that, yes he DID get the entire Saiyan Saga on VHS tape, just like he wanted. He would also get Batman 89' on VHS as well, but there were three other gifts that year for him that he never expected. 

This fancy new device called the Playstation, with it where two discs, titled Crash Bandicoot 2 and the other....Metal Gear Solid. 

The young thief was a touch confused. What -was- this? It was like a whole new world to him. That's when Papa Thief broke it down. Basically these were like playable movies that I had to guide the characters through. My three year old self was utterly ecstatic, and plugged the system in ASAP, and the first thing he played on the console? Metal Gear Solid.

That's right, my very first exposure to gaming was in fact Hideo Kojima's most well known work to date. This game would help shape my future taste and to this day, remains in my top three gaming franchises to this very day, despite Konami being.....Konami.......

MGS is something I'll always be happy to play. Unless it's Metal Gear Ac!d 1, that game just kinda sucked-
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime28th March 2016, 7:27 pm

My first video game was Super Mario Brothers on my mother's Nintendo. It was an older console that only worked for about ten minutes, so I never got very far in that or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. 

The first console I owned was a Playstation with Spyro and some sort of Pacman game. I bet Spyro soooo many times.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime28th March 2016, 8:03 pm

Well my story certainly isn't nearly as elaborate as yours PhantomThief, but my earliest gaming memories are of playing Tetris and Soccer on my dad's gameboys and also playing PC games on a DOS computer (REALLY showing my age but hey you tots mentioned Saiaya Saga on VHS so haha). I played Asteroids and Missle Command and all those old Atari games on my dad's DOS computer. I remember it was like this big box with this small tiny screen. My have things changes in the years. I would say this goes back to me being between the ages of 4 and 6 (so between 1991-1993)

Once we upgraded to Windows PCs, I have memories of my dad playing various pc games like WWII flight sims and Apache helicopter sims, but the game that I have the most memories of is my dad (and eventually when i got brave enough) playing Doom and Doom II. Those games scared me so bad but they were so fun! I loved watching him kill the monsters and I'd hide under his desk when they scared me. He eventually got me some cheat codes so I could be invincible and that made it a bit easier for me to play without being so scared.  I saw some weird stuff in those games. The walk through walls cheat was the best. xD

As far as continuing the gaming trend, my parents bought me some Star Wars gameboy games (which i admit iw as terrible at and never beat) and then there was Wario World which I beat the crap out of. It only took me at least a year to beat all 60 or so levels and then the final boss which was a big giant genie.

Then pokemon came to the scene and I played that nonstop. Then I got a Nintendo64 and my god all the great games. Mario kart, Mario64, Yoshi's Story, Mario Party and then the holy grail of them all...the Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time. 

And thus my path to my gamer ways truly begun.

@Vbabe, I do remember playing some Nes, SNES and Sega games due to my friends' having the game systems but since I didn't have a console until N64, I never really played the old games much. xD I do play them now and then on the Wii since we have the Wii Homebrew thing and we put all our roms on a SD card. xD Good times.
Back to top Go down
sailor swifty
Lotus Crystal

sailor swifty

Lotus Crystal

Title : Space Princess

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime28th March 2016, 9:06 pm

for me it was 1997 and i believe my first game was crash bandicoot or was it crash bandicoot 2.    it was soo long ago.  we use to rent the PlayStation from blockbuster.  then one day my dad came home from his work's holiday party and he won a playstaion, so we no longer needed to rent it

but i do have a story about crash 2. so It was in 1997 and i was 7 years old and my mom just beat the boss ripper roo, and gave me the controller as it was my turn to play a level, once in the 2nd warp room, there is a little bear next to one of the level and when you stand on him, he lays flat. i gusse i thought it was funny because i kept jumping on him so he go flat, not flat.  even when my mom and dad told me to stop and pick a level, i kept jumping, soon crash got some extar lifes and that;s the story on how i found on of the hidden tricks in the game.

OH! and on one of our old Christmas videos, my cosuin declarers her love for crash XD
Back to top Go down
http://serenitysmoonpalace.com/palace/index.php http://sailor-swifty.tumblr.com/
silverskywind
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime28th March 2016, 9:36 pm

I played mostly computer games on the Mac and PC(Dos games-like Chip's Challenge before Windows 95 was even a thing).

My first system was the DS when it came out, but even then it took me a while to buy it- I wanted to play Code Lyoko and Hamtaro games and I kept the DS a secret for a while.  I still have my original DS system-it's the only system that's backward compatible with GBA system games!  And then I moved onto the Wii and the 3DS and older Nintendo Systems, and then the Wii U.  All Nintendo pretty much with the game consoles!

I really don't have any many video game stories.  I have a bit more with Mac and PC games instead!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime30th March 2016, 7:04 pm

I have very early memories of watching my father and brother play all sorts of PS2 games (and, for a while, some XBox games like Halo and this one about a cat and time travel, I think it was Blinx the Time Sweeper or something). These games were a lot of old arcade games on those complication discs, and a LOT of Sonic the Hedgehog games as well. Of course, we had things like ICO (that old North American cover art...), Shadow of the Colossus, Crash Bandicoot 2, and the first 2 Half-Life games as well. Later on we got a PS3. I don't really remember why I let my dad get my first game for me, but he must have told me about this game where you actually go through all these different worlds using BOOKS! That game, of course, was Riven for the PS1. I was a HUGE bookworm back then (and I do still love to read), so I thought, wow, that's awesome! I didn't beat it for a loooonggg time (some of those puzzles are insane), I think the second game I played was Journey? I'm not sure. But yeah, I had a rather... Unorthodox introduction to games.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
sailor swifty
Lotus Crystal

sailor swifty

Lotus Crystal

Title : Space Princess

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime1st April 2016, 6:27 pm

silverskywind wrote:
I played mostly computer games on the Mac and PC(Dos games-like Chip's Challenge before Windows 95 was even a thing).

My first system was the DS when it came out, but even then it took me a while to buy it- I wanted to play Code Lyoko and Hamtaro games and I kept the DS a secret for a while.  I still have my original DS system-it's the only system that's backward compatible with GBA system games!  And then I moved onto the Wii and the 3DS and older Nintendo Systems, and then the Wii U.  All Nintendo pretty much with the game consoles!

I really don't have any many video game stories.  I have a bit more with Mac and PC games instead!

I use to play chips Challenge too   First Video Game stories? 3884866259
Back to top Go down
http://serenitysmoonpalace.com/palace/index.php http://sailor-swifty.tumblr.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime2nd April 2016, 6:05 pm

I remember Chip's Challenge! I played it when we got a PC with Windows 95 and it came with his disc full of arcade games (aka a bunch of Atari stuff). I don't remember if i ever beat it tho...that game was fun. xD
Back to top Go down
Sailor Makoto
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Makoto

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : (GC's Official) Makoto/Jupiter

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime2nd April 2016, 7:26 pm

Childhood memories are made of this: I remember the NES and Atari systems (late 1980s), and Super NES and Sega Genesis (early 1990s), as well I'm familiar with early PC games like Dragon's Quest, and Dungeons and Dragons. I played some games like the Super Mario Bros. and Sonic the Hedgehog anthologies. Video arcades like Konami's up-to-4 players the Simpsons and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were super-cool and uber-fun. The mid 1990s had "life-like" Mortal Kombat and Tekken in arcades and home video game players, the Final Fantasy series (classic, legendary RPGs) still around and Nintendo's Donkey Kong series back when 64-bit was the ultimate in game graphics. And PC games like Doom and Duke Nuke-em were big in the late 1990s. Capcom's anime-styled Mega-Man (since the 80s), Street Fighter II (1990s) and Phoenix Wright (2000s) are fun to play and watch.
Back to top Go down
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime11th May 2016, 4:10 pm

I wrote a whole article on this, but I'll give you the cliffnotes.

I was a squirt. Likely 4, since I'm pretty certain I didn't have my first memory until 4. So it would've been late 93 or early to mid 94. It was my brother's old NES before he sold it and it was Super Mario Brothers with Duck Hunt. The double cartridge that came out in 88. I can't remember much of my first playthrough, but I can assume that I was bad at it. Especially Duck Hunt. Stupid dog.

I've been playing games ever since.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Torijenova
Tiny Kitten
Diana Emeritus

Tiny Kitten

Diana Emeritus

Title : I live between the lands of Fantasy and Delusion. Seren's wifey <333

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime11th May 2016, 4:15 pm

My first video game I can remember is back when I was 3 or 4. It was Duck Hunt and I played it with my sister xD I don't remember it at all really, but I do remember playing it due to an incident of us playing it in our room, me going to see if my mom was home by looking out the window and the screen came loose and I fell out xD

The first experience I can actually remember was when I was 4 or 5. My family lived with my grandmother and she'd watch us while my parents worked. We'd play Pac Man, some tank game, and in the basement my sister and I would play Harvest Moon! I've played games ever since and will prolly always play them <3
Back to top Go down
http://kayariah.tumblr.com/ http://kayariahanime.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Video Game stories?   First Video Game stories? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Video Game stories?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top