The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers Empty
PostSubject: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 7:56 pm

So I've been looking at the manga covers and I got to say I like the newer ones better. I like the art work for the old ones, but to me they don't flow together nicely

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers Dscn0510

creidt
vs

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers Tumblr_lfywkrxenI1qzlet8o1_500

creidt

so what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 8:46 pm

Oh, I much better prefer the old covers, 100%.

First, I prefer them because I feel like I am looking at actual pieces of artwork, rather than colorful adverts as I do with the newer covers. To me the reprints work better as color inserts or bookmarks -- but artistically speaking, they are nothing special.

Also, I personally do not like Naoko's new style of drawing. It is very generic to me, more cutesy and clean rather than having an artistic flow and a specific style. I like that the proportions in her old style are slightly too elongated, that the lines do not always connect. Also, her use of color has a less-controlled style about it, blooming into one another with different textures and surfaces.

Old style indeed. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
innocentvenus
Lotus Crystal

innocentvenus

Lotus Crystal

Title : Resident Time Lady

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 8:52 pm

Have to agree with Jupiter on this one. I love the original covers so much! There's just something so nice about having those types of pics on the covers.

The new manga covers seem rather generic to me.
Back to top Go down
http://flash-and-fade.tumblr.com/ https://www.youtube.com/user/midnightshinigami
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 8:55 pm

To be fair she was shifting her art to feel more PGSM-y and be more appealing. The woman's got to sell doesn't she? I like her artwork and I don't really like picking which is better because they're so different :3

I'm actually quite fond of that Venus art X3
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Star Spangled Man (with a plan)

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 8:57 pm

Hmm. I can see what Jupiter means by the art style. I'm somewhat more preferential to concise, cleaner covers, which leads more to lean toward the new covers. On the other hand, the new artwork does not display the best of Takeuchi; as you said, Jupiter, they are little too simple, a little too cutesy, whereas the old covers capture Takeuchi's beautiful art style. Just from a layman's perspective, there seems to be more warmth instilled into the older covers than in comparison to the re-release cover art. Maybe it's a bit of the sense that Takeuchi, though not to accuse her of being ambivalent or careless, didn't need to throw the full force of her efforts behind the newer art since everybody knows what Sailor Moon is.

Yeah, I find the old covers to be more unique, more inviting in comparison to the re-release.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:04 pm

but again she's working for a completely different generation of people now, and her earlier style of covers would have probably been moved to bonus material if she had written sailor moon now.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:12 pm

I really don't see the difference in her artwork. I probably need to actually see it physically. I have volume 1 one the new manga at here at school, but the volumes I have have of the old manga are at home. I'll compare it the next time I go home. Unless there is a website that compares the two's artwork.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:15 pm

The real difference is the newer ones are floofier and brighter and cleaner and neater while the older ones are a little more stylized artistic and look more unique :3

I actually feel the same sort of passion from both artstyles ^^ I feel they both still convey the meanings they're supposed.
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:19 pm

I kind of get the point. The newer ones are brighter than the old ones. Maybe that's why I like the newer ones better. I like bright colors. The only thing that bother mes about the new ones is in volume one cover Sailor Moon is her first form while the other ones are in their eternal forms.
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:20 pm

One thing I'll add, too, is that the new covers aren't quite as dynamic; that is, while the art is still very enjoyable, it doesn't bring out the variety of the old covers. With the older covers, you have different poses, the Senshi standing with each other, and alternate shading and the like.

I agree, however, that if Sailor Moon were being released today as a new manga, the covers would likely be very similar to the re-release style. It has a more straightforward, commercial appeal.
Back to top Go down
Chikyuu
Star Seed

Chikyuu

Star Seed

Title : My Endymion

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:25 pm

I kind of like that the newer ones look like they go together. The older covers, as pretty as the art is, just didn't...flow? I'm kind of OCD in the fact that I like when covers go together instead of flying all over the place. The new ones have a central theme, they're even and they're clean and bright. The old ones flew all over the place in theme and color. While I like messy artwork, I like clean artwork too. The artwork for the old looks more like it just belongs in the artbook as opposed to the covers. I love the old, but I kind of prefer the new.

It's like, If I put the old covers on a bookshelf I can tell they're sailor moon because they have Sailor Moon written on them. But If I go and look at the new cover's spines, I can tell they're sailor moon because of the way they're designed.
Back to top Go down
http://neokingendymion.tumblr.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:27 pm

Quote :
I kind of like that the newer ones look like they go together. The older
covers, as pretty as the art is, just didn't...flow? I'm kind of OCD in
the fact that I like when covers go together instead of flying all over
the place. The new ones have a central theme, they're even and they're
clean and bright. The old ones flew all over the place in theme and
color. While I like messy artwork, I like clean artwork too. The artwork
for the old looks more like it just belongs in the artbook as opposed
to the covers. I love the old, but I kind of prefer the new.
My thoughts exactly.
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:39 pm

Chikyuu wrote:
I kind of like that the newer ones look like they go together. The older covers, as pretty as the art is, just didn't...flow? I'm kind of OCD in the fact that I like when covers go together instead of flying all over the place. The new ones have a central theme, they're even and they're clean and bright. The old ones flew all over the place in theme and color. While I like messy artwork, I like clean artwork too. The artwork for the old looks more like it just belongs in the artbook as opposed to the covers. I love the old, but I kind of prefer the new.

It's like, If I put the old covers on a bookshelf I can tell they're sailor moon because they have Sailor Moon written on them. But If I go and look at the new cover's spines, I can tell they're sailor moon because of the way they're designed.

I can respect that, although one can have the best of both worlds. For instance, the covers for the original release of the Death Note manga all feature unique pieces of art, each with some variance yet still holding true to the pervasive style of the series. Place them in your bookshelf, however, and the spines are instantly recognizable and uniform.

As in most cases, it would be nice to have a happy medium.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:50 pm

The old ones will always be special to me - they're the covers of my extremely well loved favorite story since childho, read to bits and nearly falling apart - but the new ones just make me feel more. Seeing them, I get more excited -- they're a celebration of what happened! A salute to the worldwide phenomena that is Sailor Moon! Their poses are of accomplished victory, a job well done. They made it! How many manga get reprinted over a decade after the story ended? These new covers represent to me nothing but excitement, and the artwork does nothing but invite new readers in. I'm extremely, incredibly thrilled, because I just know that somewhere, a lonely or out-of-place little girl is going to pick out this friendly looking little book and it will change her world, just like it changed mine.

I adore the new covers because, looking at them, I can only see what they represent. ... and adorable eternal senshi looking adorable. XD
Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:53 pm

Aww that's so sweet, Kyralih. I never looked at that way before. It is a celebration! Very Happy

I will say this though about the new covers. Why is Sailor Moon in her first form while the others are in their eternal forms? This really bothers me.
Back to top Go down
Thereisnospoon303
Lotus Crystal

Thereisnospoon303

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:54 pm

And I think that, above all else, is what really matters: what it means to each person, each potential or realized fan. Well said, Kyralih.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:55 pm

Maybe because Eternal Sailor Moon is so much different from her original outfit and she didn't want to ruin it for new readers? But for the other girls, the colour schemes are quite similiar? I'm not sure or maybe because the original outfit is so iconic?
Back to top Go down
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 9:59 pm

That's what I thought too, Underground, but it bothers me that Sailor Moon isn't in her eternal form like the others. Or maybe the others should have been in their first form.
Back to top Go down
MarioKnight
Star Seed

Star Seed

Title : Internet Ninja

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime16th January 2012, 11:32 pm

I like the old ones more because there's more artwork, given that each cover was made in regards to something included in that given book. While the new art certainly is crisper and brighter that stays set to a theme, it gives off more of a generic feel to me as it does nothing more than show off one soldier per book. Those images do look lovely don't get me wrong, but the old covers have more of a personal touch to them in my view. There might not be an overall theme or set color scheme, however they give each book it's own special feeling to prepare us for the contents inside.
Back to top Go down
http://www.smuncensored.com/
Elly
Webmistress Emeritus

Elly

Webmistress Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime17th January 2012, 4:31 am

Another vote for the old covers. It just seems like she put more effort into creating them...whereas the new ones, are a little more simple. They have a very "cookie cutter" vibe to them. IDK. =\
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime17th January 2012, 4:33 am

but... the floofiness @_@ its hypnotic... and now i want minako cookie cutters...
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime17th January 2012, 10:13 am

Ok I got 2 points.

1. I like the old covers, but I also enjoy Naoko's new work and I like the uniformity of the new covers.

2. The old covers are the Mixx/Tokyo Pop releases. Did the Japanese tankobons (sp?) have the same covers?

3. Honestly the best releases were the slim comic versions. Each one had different art in color and I love them. I own maybe 3 or 4 of them. ^^ I wonder if i could find more on ebay...
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime17th January 2012, 10:36 am

Honestly, I think they are both beautiful. Different, but enjoyable. The old covers were more varied and I did enjoy seeing a bunch of different pieces of artwork between all of those covers. However, I like that the new covers are dedicated to the Eternal forms of the sailor senshi, because we didn't get too see all that much of their Eternal transformations (minus Sailor Moon). I really enjoy the first few pages of color in the new releases, because I don't think the old ones had any color pages.
Back to top Go down
Elly
Webmistress Emeritus

Elly

Webmistress Emeritus

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime17th January 2012, 10:40 am

Quote :
2. The old covers are the Mixx/Tokyo Pop releases. Did the Japanese tankobons (sp?) have the same covers?

Yup! I own every print version of Sailor Moon (big collector nerd of the books here) and the Tokyopop versions had the same covers as the original prints (tankouban) in Japan.
Back to top Go down
SerenaFan
Star Seed

SerenaFan

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime17th January 2012, 12:29 pm

I prefer the newer ones. I don't know why. They just looks nicer in my opinion
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime18th January 2012, 6:47 pm

Here are the original Japanese comics (not English) in case anyone wants to have a look at the colours for the title itself.

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers Manga10
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime18th January 2012, 7:35 pm

Yamichan16 wrote:

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers Dscn0510

UndergroundSources wrote:
Here are the original Japanese comics (not English) in case anyone wants to have a look at the colours for the title itself.

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers Manga10

Odd. All of the covers are the same except for the very first one. I wonder why that is?
Back to top Go down
SerenaFan
Star Seed

SerenaFan

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime19th January 2012, 10:41 pm

and the fonts of course
Back to top Go down
Siren
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime20th February 2012, 6:41 pm

I am indifferent about them I will always cherish the old, but I like the new ones for they put Chibi Chibi on a cover. I think the old ones have a more 'main' character feel to them, as Sailor Moon is the main and she is the one repersent on them for a reason. Expect for the Super S season which focus on all. I prefer they Arcs on the covers also.....
Back to top Go down
SwineFluSam
Lotus Crystal

SwineFluSam

Lotus Crystal

Title : Sammy

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime20th February 2012, 6:45 pm

I like the new and old covers, but I just love the older ones better. They may not 'flow' like the newer ones, but the artwork is beautiful. I love it. If I ever find the old ones at a good price, I would definitely consider buying them.

Yes, they definitely do have more of a main character feel with having Usagi and Mamoru pop up on them more, but it's just - I can't really explain it. I feel like I can enjoy the older artwork more than the newer ones.

Back to top Go down
http://dancingqueenonly7teen.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers   Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Old manga covers vs New Manga Covers

View previous topic View next topic Back to top