The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

New Shoutbox Feature Feedback

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Do you like/want to keep the new shoutbox?
Yes
New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_vote_lcap88%New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_vote_rcap
 88% [ 21 ]
No
New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_vote_lcap12%New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_vote_rcap
 12% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 24

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

New Shoutbox Feature Feedback Empty
PostSubject: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 10:28 am

As many of you may have noticed, this past week we decided to try out a new shoutbox feature in place of the old chatbox. You can read about it in the initial announcement thread here.

Now that a week has been up, our trial of the premium has ended. Thus why you may have noticed some ads in the shoutbox.  Before we decide to pay and stay with this option, we wanted to make sure it was worth the money and that members actually like the new way to chat. You can read more about what features we get with premium here.

With that said, please vote in this poll to let us know what you think. You can voice more specific comments and opinions in this thread. As always, please keep it civil and constructive. Smile

We are open for other options on a chat feature but this one seems to work best for the forum from an admin point of view.

Thank you!

Last edited by Small Lady on 7th February 2016, 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 10:33 am

I like it. There's a private chat feature, it's here everywhere, not only on the main page, it's not linked to forumotion, so there's not as many problems with it. It's easy to use, it doesn't take too much place, it does the same as the old chat without its problem. And while it's sad we can't use the forum's smiley, well we have them everywhere else.

I voted.
Back to top Go down
GreenPea501
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 10:39 am

i only voted no because i wish it was at the bottom of the page instead of the side, but that's just me.
Back to top Go down
Cosmos-Hime

Cosmos-Hime

Title : ミ☆ GC's official Sailor Cosmos! ミ☆

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 11:17 am

Voted! I like that its near the top of the page, as well as the ability to look back on the chat and use avatars.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoonfan224.tumblr.com/
Addelyn
Lotus Crystal

Addelyn

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Nephrite

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 11:19 am

For me the ads aren't that annoying and it automatically refreshes so I don't think paying for real-time chat is really worth it, other than that like its identical. 

I like that it's up near the top and more people are using it.
Back to top Go down
http://misswildfire.tumblr.com/
silverskywind
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 11:40 am

I voted yes, even though I know I won't be using it that much.
Back to top Go down
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 11:49 am

So far I'm very happy with this chat. I enjoy that it has a sound feature,  and that you can pop out the window. As an admin I appreciate that it's easy to use to moderate and it keeps a large number of chat records, the other one met none of these requirements at all. 

Personally I enjoy the private conversations and the ads aren't a deal breaker but are a distraction since we keep the rest of the site ad free.
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 4:00 pm

I like the new chatbox and I like the new location of the chatbox. It's nice that you can always see who is in the chat without logging in and you can see it on any page of the forums. Having an avatar is a wonderful touch. And, it's also awesome that the chatbox does not kick you off. If you have an account with Gravatar, then you stay logged in.

However, if I try to log-in to the RP chatbox, then I have so many problems. I can't use the same log-in as the main chatbox, so I have to make a second one, but I don't remember it, so I have to make a third, and so on and so forth.

It does kind of suck that we do not have custom emoticons and smileys, but I spoke with the yourchatbox.com people and they said this would be a feature added in the future.
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 4:18 pm

Here are my thoughts on the new chatbox! New Shoutbox Feature Feedback 1955989781

Pros:
+I like that it has allowed more people to get involved with each other, and that it is visible throughout the entire site. The other chat was sort of hidden. When I first joined GC, I didn't even know there was a separate chatbox until I read through the forum rules and saw it mentioned.
+I reaaaally like being able to multitask between the chat and RP/drawing/videos/research/etc. without worrying about being kicked every few minutes due to inactivity. The other chat drove me nuts with its 5(?) minute idle limit.
+The sound feature! Again, this is useful for people who are trying to work on other things while chatting.
+Using avatars Very Happy
+Being able to look back at what was said. I remember the other chatbox did this too, but it only seemed to save the log for a reaaaally short period of time. With this new chat, you can come back a week later and still have the ability to look back at what you and others said.
+Although I have not used it yet, the private chat feature sounds pretty nice!

Cons:
-Can't use the forum emotes Sad
-The other chat let you see more messages at once (which I guess would be more useful when there are a ton of people trying to talk at the same time in a meeting).
-The chat filter. (It makes no sense! XD) I liked how the previous chat box replaced bad words with SM-themed euphemisms.  
-It's kind of annoying to me that the new chatbox seems to make the rest of the site lag from time to time (esp. on mobile). The other chat didn't interfere so much because it wasn't actively running on the page unless you chose to join it.
-Anybody can see it and use it. (You couldn't even go into the other chat unless you were a member of the forums.) I guess this is both good and bad. XD Good because people interested in joining the site can ask us questions, and bad because bored people can waltz on in and give us problems or take an existing member's name and pretend to be them. (Do people still even do that with public forum chatboxes anymore?...'Cuz I remember that being a big problem in the embedded shoutboxes on Invisionfree RP forums when I was a teenager.)
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 4:34 pm

VBabe wrote:
However, if I try to log-in to the RP chatbox, then I have so many problems. I can't use the same log-in as the main chatbox, so I have to make a second one, but I don't remember it, so I have to make a third, and so on and so forth.

From what I recall, when Queen set up the RP one, it is a whole different account than the main forum one. I think they don't have an option to have one account and multiple shoutboxes. I'll have to double check. However, I was able to make a Small Lady accounton both with the same password... So theoretically you should've been able to as well but I guess no one really explained it to you at the time. :/

Andalusite wrote:
Cons:
-Can't use the forum emotes Sad
-The other chat let you see more messages at once (which I guess would be more useful when there are a ton of people trying to talk at the same time in a meeting).
-The chat filter. (It makes no sense! XD) I liked how the previous chat box replaced bad words with SM-themed euphemisms.  
-It's kind of annoying to me that the new chatbox seems to make the rest of the site lag from time to time (esp. on mobile). The other chat didn't interfere so much because it wasn't actively running on the page unless you chose to join it.
-Anybody can see it and use it. (You couldn't even go into the other chat unless you were a member of the forums.) I guess this is both good and bad. XD Good because people interested in joining the site can ask us questions, and bad because bored people can waltz on in and give us problems or take an existing member's name and pretend to be them. (Do people still  even do that with public forum chatboxes anymore?...'Cuz I remember that being a big problem in the embedded shoutboxes on Invisionfree RP forums when I was a teenager.)

Gunna answer a couple of your points here as I think they are valid cons and I think i can address the concerns. Smile As Vbabe mentioned, we may have the ability to add GC emotes in the future (that would be a yay!) depends if they ever add the feature to add your own emotes.

I have NO idea how to fix the chat filter other than turn it off, that's about all the options I see in the admin cp for yourshoutbox. Seeing that we are a pg13 site...well, we could consider testing having it off..but it hasn't really been an issue yet and I'd rather people not coming in our chatbox swearing off up a storm. Smile (Also the filters from the main forum also worked in the old chat box hence why you got chibi and moonturds lol).

The lag that you experience should not be caused by the chat. Forummotion is known for having lag issues off and on and it seems to have been particularly bad this week. We've even had times where we'd go to the help forum to see if there's any reported issues and their own help forum was down. Soooo yeah. That's all on forummotion, not yourshoutbox.

If we have issues with trolls or anything of the like, there are options to turn up the security. If it becomes necessary to do that, we will. :3
Back to top Go down
Neo Queen Serenity
Founder

Neo Queen Serenity

Founder

Title : Lady of the Forums

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 4:38 pm

>.> It looks like Small Lady beat me too it.

We do currently have 2 separate accounts for the RP one and the Main Admin one, but there appears to be an option to have more than one shoutbox. However the RP one I set up is fully left open to Sailor Uranus and I originally set it up with my personal information.  We could consider trying to start another new one and getting rid of the other chat box, but there is no guarantee that you won't need different accounts. 

Thanks for the great feedback guys, I really appreciate the details :3
Back to top Go down
http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://moonlightlace.tumblr.com http://alittlemisscurious.deviantart.com/
Crystalsetsuna
Lotus Crystal

Crystalsetsuna

Lotus Crystal

Title : The Crazy Beardie Lady. Official GC Princess Serenity

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 8:39 pm

i really don't want to have it, but if everyone else likes it, what can you do? though i really wish there was an option to shrink it. or not have it show up for each individual person but this would probably not be possible.

i just know i'm not going to use it, and i have no desire to use it. if i want to talk to someone, i'll find someone to yabber with in skype.
Back to top Go down
http://dragcave.net/user/Crystalsetsuna http://crystalsetsuna.deviantart.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime12th January 2016, 8:54 pm

And thats totally fine. That's why we have the official Skype Chat. But the main point of it is to also encourage activity on the forums and there are some people who don't have Skype for whatever reason. So when we have forum live chatting events, we have a free venue where you don't need to download anything or make an account to join. Smile
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime17th January 2016, 8:13 pm

Bumping for any more votes!
Back to top Go down
Sailor Venus
Inner Senshi Admin
Media Director

Sailor Venus

Inner Senshi AdminMedia Director

Title : AKA Haine~ the official hardcore UsaxMamo fan

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime18th January 2016, 1:23 pm

i'm going to be "that person" right now.

I voted no actually, never liked the idea of the chat box on the side, is uncomfortable, and for some reason i simply don't like this type of chat box, the old one is way better, i didn't had to create a user or "save" a user so nobody uses mine...so, no.
Back to top Go down
http://queenmaruhi.tumblr.com/ http://eternalwitch.deviantart.com/
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime7th February 2016, 7:55 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback! We are still open to more feedback and voting on the poll but it seems obvious that the new shoutbox chat is here to stay. If you have any other feedback, feel free to post it here.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Shoutbox Feature Feedback   New Shoutbox Feature Feedback I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Shoutbox Feature Feedback

View previous topic View next topic Back to top