The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Share | 

[Resource] Wigs

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Prince Diamond

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime28th July 2015, 12:19 am

Hello everyone!
I don't know, if more resources come to this thread I guess we can add them here?

Where to buy wigs:
Online shops I have used:

Online shops I have not yet used, but friends I know have:

You can also check in your city where there could have wig shop, but usually physical shop are more expensive (and often made with real hair - the wigs that is~) than what you can find online or on the contrary, they would be less expensive (or as expensive) but of a cheaper quality.

Another trick: when going to a convention, some wig shops have a stand in the dealers room. It's a good way to see their products live, but also to take back a business card with you would you need a new wig at a later date.

Wig colors:
What you have to be careful with when you shop for wigs online is the color. Computers have different ways of showing colors and what can look like baby blue on screen can be revealed as dark blue once you open the package (I wish I was joking). So you better make sure of things (sometimes online shop will post pictures of their wigs that were used by other buyers, which allow you to actually see which color it is in reality (light is a particularly tricky problem when it comes to figuring out a color)).
The only trick that have not failed me and the only one I used so far is this one:
As a user of Arda Wigs, I bought this Color Ring a long time ago. It allows me to check on the color tag of a wig I wish and make sure it's in the right color. Unfortunately, Arda Wigs, though awesome, doesn't have all type of wigs, and shops don't always have the same color indication.

Usually though it's not too hard to make sure of things, so the best is to try and see.

How to wear a wig cap:

How to wear a wig:

Different products you might need:

• Bobby pins
  • Wigs shampoos and conditioners (usually sold in wig stores)
  • Combs (big and small)
  • Wefting threads / needles
  • Lacefronting needles
  • Wig head (it's usually a foam head you can find in thrift stores or halloween stores)
  • Scissors
  • Hairspray

Different resources sites:

Sailor Moon odango tutorials without styrofoam balls:
I have not used any of those tutorials, so it is more of a possibility than a recommendation.

Be sure to know if the fibers of your wig is heat resistant or not. It makes a big difference when it comes to styling it. (Usually stores will tell you if their products are heat resistant or not).

Don't be afraid of failures.
That's the best way to learn.

Other cool stuff:

PS: I didn't make the tutorials, they are part of resources I found along the way and am sharing with you.

#cosplayresources #cosplay

Last edited by Eternal Knight on 9th August 2015, 7:37 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's official Eudial

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime28th July 2015, 6:58 am

Awesome! Thanks for compiling these links together. I was actually going to ask a question about wigs, but I guess I can do it here. xD Do you know if there are any wig modification/clip on tutorials for ondango that use something other than a hollow styrofoam ball base? I was thinking of constructing the base out of something more durable like fabric, but wasn't sure if there were any other methods to look into. 

P.S. I actually just ordered something from Arda wigs last week. I will let you all know how that goes. xD
Back to top Go down
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime28th July 2015, 8:47 am

Sailor Moon Tutorials could make an army but without balls it's not as easy to find. I haven't tried any of the tutorials I will link here, so read and try with caution xD

This is what I could find for now poking here and there. I hope it helps a bit~

Fun fact: I came by a Tellu wig while looking for information.
PS: Should I make the same kind of thread for Sailor Moon Costumes? Where we can just list different kind of tutorials / resources? I found some interesting stuff while looking for those odango thingies xD
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime28th July 2015, 9:01 am

Feel free to make another resource thread! I'm sure a lot of people would find it helpful Smile
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime28th July 2015, 9:07 am

Alright, Mercury, thank you! I'm gonna go work on it now~
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime28th July 2015, 2:03 pm

Eternal Knight wrote:

This is what I could find for now poking here and there. I hope it helps a bit~
Thanks! I'll probably try the sponge one or the Russian one if I can download the image so that I can actually read the text. Whooo Slavic languages! DeviantArt wasn't loading the image on full size for some reason. :/

Quote :
Fun fact: I came by a Tellu wig while looking for information.
[Resource] Wigs 2503753863 Omg where? Was it an actual wig or a tutorial for one? Either way I'd love to see this for inspiration if you know what I mean. [Resource] Wigs 2695440696 I wanted to cosplay Tellu but changed my mind because the hair looked too complicated to style or modify for a beginner wig project. xD;

Quote :
PS: Should I make the same kind of thread for Sailor Moon Costumes? Where we can just list different kind of tutorials / resources? I found some interesting stuff while looking for those odango thingies xD
YES!
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime9th August 2015, 7:35 pm

In this post, I will be sharing my experience with the method and the procedures I took to make a light brown synthetic wig more yellow-orange using FW Acrylic Ink. Arda wigs has their version of the method here, which may be helpful for longer wigs and for reading up on any additional caveats. http://arda-wigs.com/blogs/tutorials/6270626-how-to-dye-wigs-with-fw-ink

What you will absolutely need besides a wig:
+Disposable Gloves
+Disposable table cloth (or something non-reactive that you can place on your floor.)
+Disposable spray bottle
+ A small bottle of 70% isopropyl alcohol
+ One* bottle of FW Acrylic Ink in a color of your choice. *Note: If they do not have your color, you can mix your own colors by purchasing additional bottles of ink.
(Not required but recommended: + Baby shampoo, +foam head or stand to rest the wig  )

**You can find most of these things at the dollar store. Smile
**I know you can find FW Acrylic Ink at Hobby Lobby (not to mention, you can use a 40% off coupon on it! [Resource] Wigs 2503753863 ), otherwise it is typically cheaper online (though shipping costs might make it more expensive unless you are buying multiple items from the merchant).

Important:
[Resource] Wigs 4011577294 Please keep in mind that lighter wigs (e.g. white or light blonde) will produce a better result and that some wigs may not hold color due to the type of material from which they were made. I bought a cheap wig from China off of Ebay and had no problem dyeing it.
[Resource] Wigs 4011577294 I would also like to mention that since alcohol and FW ink will not freeze when water does, you are able to do this in your garage during the winter. I dyed mine in February when it was slightly above 0°C / 32°F.
[Resource] Wigs 4011577294 I do not recommend mixing more than one cup of ink at a time or using more drops of ink than suggested. Too much ink will make your wig feel crusty and will likely powder off onto your costume. It is also easier to thoroughly mix and work with a smaller amount of the mixture at a time. You can always make another batch if you run out.
[Resource] Wigs 4011577294 The isopropyl alcohol does strip the sheen of the synthetic hair fibers (at least it did with the wig I used). Some people might have an issue with this, but I personally found the look more natural without. It actually made my cheap wig look a bit nicer. xD

1. First things first, find an area suitable for the project. FW ink stains everything and isopropyl alcohol fumes are harmful, so I highly suggest wearing old clothes and working in an open garage or outdoors.

2. The ratio is 10 full squeezes of ink per cup of alcohol. I put both ink and alcohol into the squirt bottle and shook it up until it was mixed very well.

3. If you have a stand or can rig one up for your wig, by all means go for it. I just placed mine on the plastic table cloth since it was so short anyway. I didn't have any problem doing this.

4. Next I took the spray bottle and sprayed like crazy. You will want to make sure that all surfaces are thoroughly covered with ink lifting up hair strands and spraying underneath.

[Resource] Wigs 11048278_868620443181858_3783270553504759940_n

5. Take a hairdryer on low and help the wig dry enough that it is not dripping, reason being so that the pigment has a chance to attach to the synthetic fibers. Then leave it to dry on its own. I left mine in the garage for a couple of days.

6. Next take the wig and rinse it in cold water until no more color comes out of it. I took mine into my shower since it was too cold to turn on the hose outdoors. Be patient as you are rinsing. My wig took almost an hour before the excess color was all out.

7. This step is not required, but I definitely recommend it if you are super concerned about excess color bleeding out of the wig onto your costume. After I got the excess color out of the wig in the shower, I washed the wig in cold water with a little bit of baby shampoo and then I dried it off with a hairdryer on low setting. This will help remove excess pigment that might give the wig an otherwise crusty feel and will make it easier for you to comb through your wig.

8. Let your wig dry and you are done! Very Happy

[Resource] Wigs 11045316_868624606514775_1345543400564237111_n

Mimete Cosplay 1 by CheerySoundNinRoren on DeviantArt

Last edited by Andalusite on 9th August 2015, 7:59 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Eternal Knight
Lotus Crystal

Eternal Knight

Lotus Crystal

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime9th August 2015, 7:38 pm

Added to the list under "Other cool stuff". It links directly to your post for easier reading~ Thank you for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Andalusite
Lotus Crystal

Andalusite

Lotus Crystal

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime8th January 2016, 7:54 pm

I would like to add Amphigory to our list of stores for wigs, since I purchased the New Look Angela 750 wig from them for my Viluy cosplay.

Pros:
+The owners are really friendly and knowledgeable of their products. (Ei If you are unsure about a color or if a specific wig brand will hold dye, you can ask them and they will provide their opinion or experience with it.)
+The owners respond quickly to all e-mail inquiries.
+Wigs are high quality. (I absolutely loved mine. It was super comfortable and had a plastic scalp in the front so the parting looked a lot more natural and kept out of my face for the most part.)
+Ships from the U.S.

Cons:
-Special order wigs come from the warehouse of the manufacturer meaning that the overall availability depends on the manufacturer, so if the manufacturer is out of stock, then it may take months before the color becomes available again. (I had that very problem with my wig. Pure white was out of stock for two months, so I had to change my order to Silvery White instead. The owners were very nice during this process. They even suggested similar style wigs that had white in stock.)
-If you are short on time, you will want to make sure that they are able to get you the color you want in the amount of time you have or order from a different site because there is no rush delivery.
-Some credit card payments may not work properly with the ordering system in place. (In my case, my credit/debit card was denied, but for some reason my mom's wasn't.)

All and all, I loved the site and would buy again from this business! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

[Resource] Wigs Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Resource] Wigs   [Resource] Wigs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Resource] Wigs

View previous topic View next topic Back to top