The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Version with best characterization?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Lotus Crystal

mercury_viola_rhapsody

Lotus Crystal

Version with best characterization? Empty
PostSubject: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime22nd June 2013, 2:00 pm

I'm just curious about what everyone thinks...

Personally, I prefer the manga as the girls' backstories were more fleshed out and they all had more depth of character. While I will concede that the anime spent had more time devoted to each senshi, the characters come out a lot worse. Usagi is a lot less mature, Minako loses a lot of depth, Ami is kind of :bunnypokerface, Rei also loses maturity and seems to serve as comedy, Mamoru is a douche, Chibiusa is much less developed, Haruka and Michiru are much more hostile toward the Inners, and Setsuna and Hotaru's roles are lessened.

(NOTE: I HAVE NOT SEEN PGSM AT ALL, SO MY OPINION MIGHT (AND PROBABLY WILL) CHANGE AFTER WATCHING IT)
Back to top Go down
http://randomnessandfantasy.tumblr.com/
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime22nd June 2013, 2:16 pm

I think the manga, despite being my favourite continuity story wise, is the weakest on this point.
It's true the girls often all have their time to shine, but their background stories and many others points is passed very quick. (I think the single characterization Mako had in the first arc was one tiny dialogue when she told about her sempai who broke her heart)

Minako might be the only of the Inner with a proper characterization. And that's because of the V manga.

Thanks god the side stories were here to give them the devellopment they needed!

PGSM is easily one of the best in this way. You see each girls building their relationship with each other, and get a story of their own. But the anime is great too! Even if some details were never explained (Mako had almost no backstory beside "sempai who broke my heart") but their personallities are all defined well and all the girls equally gets the spotlight, in what 60% of the fandom call "the useless fillers".

Anime outers? Hostile?
Wait...
Version with best characterization? 009
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime22nd June 2013, 2:19 pm

PGSM is the best when it comes to Sailor Moon characters and character development. Everyone gets like their own episode or two to grow and episodes geared to like, each of them for the most part expanding upon their relationships with each other. That's why it's my favorite version of Sailor Moon. Well, that and it's funny and grips you so well into the story.
Back to top Go down
mercury_viola_rhapsody
Lotus Crystal

mercury_viola_rhapsody

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime22nd June 2013, 2:22 pm

Mayonnaise wrote:
I think the manga, despite being my favourite continuity story wise, is the weakest on this point.
It's true the girls often all have their time to shine, but their background stories and many others points is passed very quick. (I think the single characterization Mako had in the first arc was one tiny dialogue when she told about her sempai who broke her heart)

Minako might be the only of the Inner with a proper characterization. And that's because of the V manga.

Thanks god the side stories were here to give them the devellopment they needed!

PGSM is easily one of the best in this way. You see each girls building their relationship with each other, and get a story of their own. But the anime is great too! Even if some details were never explained (Mako had almost no backstory beside "sempai who broke my heart") but their personallities are all defined well and all the girls equally gets the spotlight, in what 60% of the fandom call "the useless fillers".

Anime outers? Hostile?
Wait...

I guess hostile wasn't exactly the best choice of words-I think less inclined to work together fits my sentence better.

And I could be mixing up backstory with character.... Or it could be my dislike of fillers....
Back to top Go down
http://randomnessandfantasy.tumblr.com/
Ktenshi
Lotus Crystal

Ktenshi

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of the darkside of the moon

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime22nd June 2013, 2:53 pm

Easily, very easily, my favorite is PGSM followed by the Manga.  The anime ticked me off with how much less it all was. (though I never thought of Mamoru as a douche, but he does come off a bit blah over all. The Movie was good about his backstory somewhat though.) There really was no legit social problems the girls had except one defining characteristic that was always played on again and again. (and it got boring. How many times do we get that 'He looks like my old boyfriend' line or that 'OMGZ -insert poor male character- is cheating! HOW DARETH HE LOOK AT FEMALES?!..Wait, excuse me, I saw a pretty boy-drool fest!)

..yeah.. I didn't care for the extra silliness, even at that age the girls were. It annoyed me. greatly.
Back to top Go down
brrrandiZZLe
Lotus Crystal

brrrandiZZLe

Lotus Crystal

Title : Brandi, the official Usagi of the forums ^.^

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime22nd June 2013, 2:56 pm

I DEFINITELY agree that PGSM had the best characterization. I feel like that goes without saying on my part. The characters didn't just meet each other and become best friends right away. They fought with each other and had much more realistic experiences. Especially with Ami. They actually showed her house multiple times and mentioned her backstory in a ton of episodes. Mako had her thing with Motoki. Rei and Minako had their disagreements and later became close. I definitely got to know the characters the best through PGSM.
Back to top Go down
http://sailormoon-love.tumblr.com http://www.sailormoon-love.tumblr.com
magic713
Lotus Crystal

magic713

Lotus Crystal

Title : Lord of SM Wiki

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime24th June 2013, 10:20 am

Mayonnaise wrote:

Anime outers? Hostile?
Wait...

Well, in the next chapter in the manga, the Outers actually helped Ami when she was in danger as opposed to anime, where they leave the senshi to fend for themselves once they complete their mission (mostly the beginning of the season).

I think that in the manga, the heroes had the best characterization, but in the anime a lot of the villains had great characterization.
Back to top Go down
https://magic713m.tumblr.com/ http://magic713.deviantart.com/
Sailor Candy
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Candy

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : small angsty fangirl

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime24th June 2013, 10:23 am

magic713 wrote:
Mayonnaise wrote:

Anime outers? Hostile?
Wait...

Well, in the next chapter in the manga, the Outers actually helped Ami when she was in danger as opposed to anime, where they leave the senshi to fend for themselves once they complete their mission (mostly the beginning of the season).

I think that in the manga, the heroes had the best characterization, but in the anime a lot of the villains had great characterization.
You mean Nephrite, or Nephlite, or whatever his name was, right? And the Naru/Molly thing?
Back to top Go down
http://somethingprecocious.tumblr.com
Mayonnaise
Lotus Crystal

Mayonnaise

Lotus Crystal

Title : Secretly Artemis in a suit

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime24th June 2013, 10:26 am

I agree about that last point about the villain... Fisheye was such a cutie / an awesome villain / if not one of the best of the serie. As much as I love the manga, it kinda hurt to see his apparence resumed as
Version with best characterization? 050
Back to top Go down
Sailor Candy
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Candy

Pyramidal Crystal

Title : small angsty fangirl

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime24th June 2013, 10:31 am

Did I forget to metion my beloved Palla Palla? Version with best characterization? 4174781551
She's so cute in the anime!!!
Back to top Go down
http://somethingprecocious.tumblr.com
mysteryloveandjustice
Lotus Crystal

mysteryloveandjustice

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Seiya/Sailor Star Fighter <3

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime24th June 2013, 1:18 pm

Im gonna have to agree with the heroes=manga and villains=anime. I think that was the intent of the animators, to give the villains a better story, which in turn gave less time for fleshing out out heroines ^^ 
I personally have a soft spot for the manga. But I think that's because I absolutely LOVE Naokos art style xD
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime26th June 2013, 12:52 pm

Quote :

And in anime Ami helps them - it irritates me, how in manga Outers clearly outshine the Inners.

For me, anime wins definitively, in every category - heroes, villains and especially Usagi.
Back to top Go down
http://neoma2.tumblr.com/
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Title : The Hybrid Enigma
Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime3rd July 2013, 5:59 pm

I'm going to agree on the Manga-Heroes and Anime-Villans

Wouldn't it be nice if the new anime combined all the versions into something amazing? I'm gonna wish they do that!

Quote :
 And in anime Ami helps them - it irritates me, how in manga Outers clearly outshine the Inners.

The outers technically outshine them in the anime as well. They are the more powerful and mature group in either version.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime4th July 2013, 11:59 am

Outers may have slightly stronger attacks, yet it's only Usagi who can defeat enemies. Despite their powers they don't achieve much on their own and are constantly saved by Inners - to show the value of cooperation. And their attitude is very immature. In manga though they are role models.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neith
Pyramidal Crystal

Sailor Neith

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime4th July 2013, 12:19 pm

Personally, I prefer the manga's characterizations as opposed to the anime.
Yeah, their background stories were short, but I love how mature they were compared to their anime counterparts, especially Usagi.

I'm hearing so many good things about PGSM, I really need to watch it next time I get a chance. Version with best characterization? 1955989781
Back to top Go down
Sailor Saturn
Outer Senshi Admin
Events & Storyline Admin

Sailor Saturn

Outer Senshi Admin  Events & Storyline Admin

Title :

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime4th July 2013, 1:25 pm

PGSM is the best by far in my opinion. I really recommend it to anyone and everyone. It might throw you off at first but by the first couple of episodes, you'll be hooked for huge rollercoaster of a ride <3 <3 <3

I think the anime is better than the manga though, in terms of characterization. I think we see the girls grow more as characters throughout the anime more than in the manga. Sure, there are times when the writing is poor, or pointless even, but there are SO many good things about it, so much growth between their friendships, such good things to be found if you're paying attention to them.

In the manga, I've always felt that only Usagi really gets to grow as a character, while the rest are mostly in the background waiting for the next fight.

Also, I agree that the anime has the best characterization for the villains. My love for the villains would never be as strong if it weren't for the anime. Version with best characterization? 1367558771 Version with best characterization? 4210979809 I loooove that they expanded on the villains stories later in the series (I just wish Beryl had been given some of that same love in Classic<3)
Back to top Go down
http://ley-rose.tumblr.com/ http://leyrose.deviantart.com/
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

Location : A far away land, where mystery and adventure are rich and bountiful, and where dreams are not wished, but granted <3

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime4th July 2013, 1:57 pm

Usagi typically beat the boss in the anime, but sometimes it was a group effort. That being said, there were  times that the outer senshi defeated enemies (not bosses but then again the series IS called Sailor Moon so it's only logical) that the others could not. They didn't need Usagi to finish them off, and there were times the inners didn't need that either. That may have happened a lot but not every single time.

I always saw that Usagi grew in the anime verses the senshi because of the last season.

Usagi only matured in Stars, before that she wasn't really all that different and the only reason she had matured in StarS was because she was sad and she was trying to be strong and act like things were ok for the others sake :/ didn't really work though since they could see through it for the most part lol...

Minako seemed to go backwards in character growth and that backwards pedal sped up in the last season the most considering she went from a very mature and serious toned character with an authoritative air about her to a ditzy blond who got most of the things she said wrong while in the manga she was the carefree blond still but she still had her serious moments and she also took her leadership role very seriously. She also had an entire manga just for herself^^

Rei... hardly ever changed. In the beginning of the anime we got to see a bit of romance for her (anime only thing which I did like), and in the R saga slightly but that quickly became non existent, and her grandfather seemed to disappear as well. In the manga, she's a nearly completely different person. In the anime we knew nothing of her parents, in the manga we get a full background of her parents which contributes to her hatred of men and the reason why she holds herself up so ladylike and elegant and why she's such a diligent worker. We also got to see a LOT of her school, and she was admired. Sarashina really looked up to her and cared about her. When Rei returned at the end of the R saga in the manga, she hugged her and cried. In the anime, the only friend they really had was Naru, Motoki and his sister and Umino :/ and their appearances were far less in the anime as well (Except Umino I think he had more anime face time^^)

Makoto didn't really get much screen time either, she probably had the least amount of screen time for the inners in the anime. In the manga she gets more, but it's still the least of the inners in the manga as well :/ Poor Mako-chan. The manga goes more in depth with her parents accident, and how she lives at home alone and how much she loves flowers, cooking, shopping, and the idea of getting married. The anime may have given her some girly moments but for the most part she was a tomboy, and we only saw her friend in the Doom Tree saga and that episode that talked about her old love. The manga went more in depth about her heart having been broken and she had Asanuma(?) who was her friend and appeared often and seemed to care about her and about Mamoru too.

Ami had the Ami special but that was a manga special first so :/ the anime didn't go in depth about how truly rich Ami and her family is. Her mother is a doctor and the senshi even went to her mothers hospital a few times throughout the manger. Her father is a famous traveling painter and these were manga details. The anime may touch on these details, but they don't go as in depth :/ the anime did give her a bit more of a stronger and slightly more mischievous side though and it's probably due to how popular her character was^^

The outers had NO character development in the anime and in one season they completely vanished. It goes without saying that their development was far greater in the manga^^ Haruka like Rei is nearly a completely different person in the manga. She enjoys wearing feminine clothes and they all have their own condos and are apparently loaded.

Even Luna and Artemis had more development in the manga. Artemis has a human form too and we see more of the bond between him and Minako manga-wise^^

I think the anime gave more in-depth to the villains but come to think of it the manga did too, at least with Beryl. I think it wasn't that there wasn't character growth for the villains in the manga, I think it's just that the anime made them more sympathetic and less evil. Most of the villains having been purified in the anime, or having been good originally or turning good in the end and hardly any death :/

I really need to watch the live action, I've only seen a few episodes but I haven't seen the whole thing but the characterization in them is favored from what I can tell^^
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime6th July 2013, 1:17 pm

I actually regard anime-Usagi as more mature than in manga.
All main characters got development in anime - Rei got friendlier, Ami more playful, Mako calmer and more feminine, Minako saw things beyond being senshi, Mamoru grow more tender, open and supportive.
Rei's grandfather appeared in manga maybe twice. And in anime there was also Yuuichiro.
Mako had also friend of old school in SuperS.
The scene with Ami cutting diamonds, because she is so rich was really ridiculous, IMO.
In anime there was less about girls' families, but it's pretty typical for series about teenagers.

Naru, Motoki and Unazuki were present still in SuperS, while they barely appeared in manga.

True, that the Outers never got to be the main characters in anime, but IMO it suited better not to have such a big cast. Haruka and Michiru in anime had the role of antiheroines.
Back to top Go down
nerf-or-nothing
Star Seed

nerf-or-nothing

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime9th July 2013, 8:44 am

Blasphemy! I hated that they turned Haruka and Michiru so vicious. In the manga they had a reason for the mean things they did but it was a much more friendly atmosphere and I hate that they were turned into side characters. Naoko and many other series manage to have lots of characters with a full cast but the anime for Sailor Moon apparently just couldn't handle it...

I didn't find the diamond scene to be ridiculous, it wasn't about how rich she was, it was about finding out just how tough the stone sword was and connecting the girls even more. They all learned something about Ami that they never knew before which show cased their growing bond, something the anime often left out.

All the things you listed for the anime is the same for the manga -.-

Motoki in the manga was my favorite considering it looks like he knew the girls identities, and I think Naru guessed at it too (Although I like anime Naru best because of her love with Nephite) but then again we got to see Naruru her little sister >.> although she doesn't look little lol

How do you find Usagi more mature anime-wise? Usagi in the manga showed a growing maturity since the first saga when she had somber and serious moments and she wasn't always afraid to fight or afraid to kill while anime Usagi didn't seem to mature until the StarS(of course during the final battles she had serious moments, but the was just it, it was only during boss fights anime-wise while manga-wise it was even in her civilian form) and she wasn't as much of a crybaby or late in the manga while in the anime they kind of blew it out waaay out of proportion and she never killed, she was saint-like anime-wise with the whole healing and refusing to kill :/

While I like both versions a lot, I still gotta say, manga characterization has everything the anime did but much more in depth for the main characters.

I haven't seen all of the live-action or musicals so I can't really make an opinion about those yet^^
Back to top Go down
Aztnara
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Bad Wolf

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime9th July 2013, 10:13 am

I really liked the anime, but I loved the manga, and the PGSM surprised me because I tough I wouldn't like it as much as I do,  I really enjoyed that even with the changes to the main story, everyone stayed in character and played their roles, and like some of you have said before, the relationships didn't look 'forced'.

So for me it would be:
1- Manga
2- PGSM
3- Anime
Back to top Go down
http://koijustice.tumblr.com http://sayuri-chiba.deviantart.com
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime11th July 2013, 12:33 pm

In anime there are plenty of moments of Ami bonding with girls - espiecially with Usagi, but also others, Mamoru and Luna, even Shingo.
I much prefer role of Outers in anime - they were antiheroines, not another main characters. They were properly kept in background and even dissappeared in SuperS, where the enemy wasn't their domain.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime13th July 2013, 3:42 am

nerf-or-nothing wrote:
 How do you find Usagi more mature anime-wise? Usagi in the manga showed a growing maturity since the first saga when she had somber and serious moments and she wasn't always afraid to fight or afraid to kill while anime Usagi didn't seem to mature until the StarS(of course during the final battles she had serious moments, but the was just it, it was only during boss fights anime-wise while manga-wise it was even in her civilian form) and she wasn't as much of a crybaby or late in the manga while in the anime they kind of blew it out waaay out of proportion and she never killed, she was saint-like anime-wise with the whole healing and refusing to kill :/

It's not true Usagi in anime never killed - she killed Kunzite and Beryl, Esmeralda and Wiseman - and to some extent was responsible for Villuy's death. But indeed in anime she was mature enough to see that fight isn't the best solution and even the opponents can be redeemed.
Usagi in anime was always ready to help others. Being a crybaby doesn't make you immature.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime16th July 2013, 7:37 am

Personally for me I love PGSM the best as far as the first arc goes. I personally like the outers a bit more in the manga than the anime. The only outers that were antiheroes were really Uranus and Neptune. Pluto worked with the girls, albeit discreetly.

Moonlight Lady wrote:
It's not true Usagi in anime never killed - she killed Kunzite and Beryl, Esmeralda and Wiseman - and to some extent was responsible for Villuy's death. But indeed in anime she was mature enough to see that fight isn't the best solution and even the opponents can be redeemed.
Usagi in anime was always ready to help others. Being a crybaby doesn't make you immature.

Actually this brings up an interesting thought on anime!Usagi's maturity. She's still able to be true to herself and personality (even if its silly and sometimes crybaby, but thats just her) while having the strength to be a soldier and eventually Queen. I think that says a lot about Usagi. Cause by the end of the first season she doesn't shy away from the fights and continues to grow more mature. In the beginning of R, she has to accept her fate in order to continue on as a soldier. I think at that point it shows a lot for her character development.

I think the problem with the anime is that it comes across a bit shallow because of the slice of life/episodic nature of the series and the demographic its aimed at (remember the original anime was mainly aimed at younger girls, pre-teen and younger). When you watch it and really pay attention, there is some good character development in it.
Back to top Go down
Moonlight Lady
Star Seed

Moonlight Lady

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime19th July 2013, 1:30 pm

IMO, there is too much emphasis put on being a senshi in discussion about maturity. But during everyday, normal life one also shows maturity. And maturity does not equal being serious and stoic. Usagi is still clumsy crybaby at the end, yet she is very mature with her strong values and beliefs, her altruism, her faith in people and emcompassing love.
In manga her weak points simply dissappear without reason, as they were flaws to be cured, not her traits.
Quote :
 The only outers that were antiheroes were really Uranus and Neptune. Pluto worked with the girls, albeit discreetly.

Yes, Pluto I wouldn't call a antiheroine - though she meet the Inner IMO mostly to convince them about the necessity of Outers' actions, she knew where to draw the line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Version with best characterization?   Version with best characterization? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Version with best characterization?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top