The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

[Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

[Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] Empty
PostSubject: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 8:57 pm

Okay! So this topic is to basically say which version of Sailor Moon you think portrays each character in the best way for you. I'm not including dubs here, we are strictly going on Japanese language. The focus here is on Usagi/Sailor Moon, Ami/Sailor Mercury, Rei/Sailor Mars, Makoto/Sailor Jupiter and Minako/Sailor Venus.

All the versions of Sailor Moon are:
Manga
1990s Anime
1993-2005 Musicals (with this you can designate a specific show if you feel there was only one or two shows that did it best)
2003 Live Action (often referred to as PGSM)
2014-Present Musicals (since its been on girl portraying Moon so far)
Sailor Moon Crystal

Can be included optionally:
Sailor Moon: Another Story

Have fun!
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

[Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 9:07 pm

I'll give it a go!

Sailor Moon:

I like her best in both the 90s anime and PGSM. However, Miyuu Sawai IS Usagi, no one can argue with me othewise! She is the perfect portrayal of Usagi. Clumsy, whiny and a bit clueless but not dumb and stron willed, understanding everything that is at stake with her and her friends mission. PGSM Usagi is the best.

I also love the 90s anime Usagi for her compassion, always "genki" attitude and the fact that she is always herself despite being this powerful strong woman. She doesn't forget she is also Usagi: the clumsy cry baby 14-16 yr old.

Sailor Mercury: I actually can't really choose because I think she's pretty awesome in all the versions. She is the best friend in the musicals and I love her little side plots she gets. Especially in the Sailor Moon S musical where Usagi is upset over Ami leaving to study overseas and they have a bit of a falling out, but then they sing out their sorrows and how much they love each others friendship. FEELS. T_T

PGSM is ranks up there. WHEN SHE'S KNITTING THE SCARVES. DARKURY. 'Nuff Said.

Sailor Mars: PGSM. Hands down. With Manga behind it. While I love her bickering fiery self in the 90s anime and her dynamic with Usagi (as she was "the best friend" in that version), I just cannot get enough of Keiko Kitagawa as Rei. She is fab. She takes the manga version of Rei and just makes it amazing. <3

Sailor Jupiter: And yet again...PGSM. She actually got good and proper character development here (not just the usual, i'm tall so boys don't like me or "sempai" treatment like she got in the 90s anime). Not to mention she doesn't get really any development in the manga or musicals and while her introduction episode in Crystal was really great, nothing can put top PGSM!Makoto. She is protective of Usagi, struggling to come to terms with being a lone warrior and that being her destiny and then coming to terms and going against that. ALSO SHE PUNCHES MAMORU.

Sailor Venus: The 90s anime and musicals is where I like Minako best. Silly, fun yet strong with a deeper maturity that is often hidden away from the world and rest of the girls. Minako is so much more mature than you realize in the anime (I know she gets kinda reduced to her boy chasing antics in the Stars season but everything up until there is good). Actually (after that statement) one of my favorite character eps of her is from the Stars arc where she auditions to be an idol and wins, but turns it down. Turns out she does it just so she knows she CAN achieve her dream but knows there is something much more important to do (protect her Princess and friends).
Back to top Go down
Sailor Seren
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Seren

Lotus Crystal

Title : ❤ Sailor Ceres ❤ Diana's Wife ❤

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 9:10 pm

Honestly, I think I'd say PGSM for all of the girls except Minako. Not that I hate PGSM Minako, I think she had her moments and all, I just kind of wish they had given her more moments where she softened up.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 9:14 pm

I am def in agreement with you Brit. At least on Sailor Moon and Mars and Mako and Minako...lol

I do love Ami best in PGSM - she is so cute and so well fleshed out, it hurts. ;.; but that's one thing I really love about PGSM; the character development is amaze and really drives the story. I mean yes it's about UsaMamo but these girls are not forgotten - they have their own stories and relationships to form with one another which makes them a really powerful team. I lurve it!
Back to top Go down
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 9:20 pm

omg decisions decisions.

Moon- hmm I would have to say (omg can I even choose) Fumina as a mature Usagi- she did an excellent job playing Usagi. Anza is my favorite myu but miyuki is adorable as Usagi and is so very missed. I loved her energy she brought with Usagi.

Mercury- I would have to say either PGSM or Cheiko
PGSM mercury they really play on her slight insecurities and develop her character more, yes she is smart, but shes so much more than a brainiac- she is kind and compassionate- well except for a short while, but you really see more to her character than just the book smart girl which I think is important. but i also love cheico because she has such a happy bubbly Mercury. It is nice to see her portrayed as a bit more socialble and happy.

Mars- Keiko Kitagawa (PGSM)
She played Mars so well and put so much emotion into her character- they also stuck with the canon that Mars was not too intrested in boys.

Jupiter- PGSM and Yuu Takahashi (new musicals)
Both of these ladies portray Jupiter amaazingly- they portray her strentgh and no mess around attitude perfectly and her feminie side is also portrayed well.

Venus- i would say manga- she is portrayed with a larger role- especiually since she can in a way act as the princess' double and plays a big role in the first arc of SM which I dont feel she got much justice in many of the other adaptations with the exception of PGSM.  but i do love PGSM venus, but I feel she was portrayed best in the manga.
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
Goddess Yami
Lotus Crystal

Goddess Yami

Lotus Crystal

Title : Dark Lord Spam Goddess Yami

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 9:23 pm

Everyone in PGSM, but Minako. I like Minako the best in the original anime.
Back to top Go down
http://magicalgirlcafe.forumotion.com/
Hikari-chan
Lotus Crystal

Hikari-chan

Lotus Crystal

Title : Honestly, I’ve never fit in with the world. I was always alone.

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 9:25 pm

i also have to agree with SL Miyuu was so Usagi. 

and she was so adorable with shibuya
Back to top Go down
http://bigbangvipfangirl.tumblr.com/ http://mizzmoon.tumblr.com/
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime10th January 2015, 10:10 pm

I just really loved Ami, Rei, and Mako in PGSM.

I mean in PGSM, you really get a good look at Rei. You know more about her life, which she'd rather keep private (and you definitely get that feeling). You see why she is the way she is - so distant, cold, seemingly uncaring. What reason did she have to be anything but those things? But then, you also know she is very capable of loving - her love is very strong when she does love. I mean look at how she responds to Minako. It's just - I love this version of Rei so much. She's so real.

And Ami. She's so cute and sweet. She had no idea what the hell she was doing in terms of making friends. But when she realises people like Usagi are genuine and to just be herself, she attaches and attaches hard. It's cute. I mean she sat there, all the time, making scarves for everyone, when everyone was stressed out and growing distant. Ami was going to be the cute glue to keep them together. Which made her a fab pick for a dark character.

Then Mako - actually seeing a lot of Mako. Seeing her be protective, seeing her be enabling. Seeing her be rejected then someone falling in love with her. It was truly, truly amazing. She's such a great character and really showed us what Mako is all about in PGSM.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Neptune
Outer Senshi Admin
RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Sailor Neptune

Outer Senshi Admin  RP Graphics & Canon Admin

Title : Drinker of Roleplayers' Tears ~ The Internationaliest™

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 2:39 am

Usagi is the hardest for me. I think her 90s anime self probably takes the top spot for me, but then like followed really closely by PGSM Usagi and Miyuki!Moon. I think though I base every version of Usagi on the anime version. So I use that portrayal to judge if a new portrayal is faithful to the character or not.

I also really like Satomi no matter what people say - I know she can't sing, but I've come to find it endearing as well because there's no way Usagi is a good singer. I just find these girls portray her really well. I wasn't big on Miyuki's singing either (the first time I heard her sing I was quite turned off by it actually) but she's really, really Usagi comes alive at times. I love her energy so much. The way she bawled her eyes out on her last performance just made me tear up again thinking about it. I mean, that was legit bawling, she didn't even try to be graceful about it, and that was Usagi!crying through and through, and she wasn't even acting.

Ami is definitely PGSM. I identify with her so much in PGSM it hurts. I don't think we see enough of her loneliness in the anime or manga, or even that painful awkwardness where she genuinely does not know why someone would want to be friends with her, whether or not she should trust it, and how she should be a good friend. Her trying so hard to be more open to the point of exhaustion is so accurate that it hurts me in my deepest core. It's nice to see a portrayal of a character that mirrors yourself when you've been thinking all your life that you're weird and you just aren't like other people or that you need serious help. Having lived all my life with people pointing out how quiet or socially awkward I am, I'm incredibly fed up with that and it was just a nice breath of fresh air to see someone just like that in media. And now I've accidentally turned this into my personal venting so I'll stop

Rei for me is PGSM as well. I never like her anime self. I understand why she is the way she is, why they changed her personality, but for me the perfect Rei is that calm, controlled fire that could turn into a freaking deadly inferno when you least expect it. I love how she built all these walls around her and ended up loving so hard, I love how she pretends like she doesn't care but deep down cares the most, and I just love Keiko Kitagawa so much okay.

Mako... I don't know why but she's the one who always falls under the radar for me. I think her character stood out the most in PGSM, though she also had an interesting twist on her personality. For me, Mako's someone who never gives up on love no matter how many times she's knocked down (partly why she keeps falling for people who remind her of someone who once broke her heart) and so it didn't really connect with me that she gave up her opportunity with Motoki in favor of her duty. Of everyone, I didn't really expect her to be the one who follows Minako's ideal, but I think it works. It definitely makes sense, at least.

I also really enjoy Yuu from the new musical, in Petite Étrangère especially she's really awesome.

Minako, I really like in the old anime and the new musical. Shiori just portrays that perfect balance of flirtatious as hell and dead serious when she has to be, like she could flip the switch just like that. That's my perfect Minako for me. The old anime did it pretty well, too, although Stars didn't really do her justice, so I think new musical Minako might actually be my favorite.
Back to top Go down
http://senshiofserenity.tumblr.com
usagi
Star Seed

usagi

Star Seed

Title : odango

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 4:44 am

90s anime, for every senshi <3
Back to top Go down
Tuxedo Mistress
Lotus Crystal

Tuxedo Mistress

Lotus Crystal

Title : That girl with a Sailor Jupiter tattoo =)

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime11th January 2015, 7:40 am

Moon: PGSM. As stated before, Sawai Miyuu IS Usagi. It's incredible, if you watch an outtake even her tone of voice changes when she's not recording. That girl changes completely and becomes Usagi.

Merc: I'm in doubt between PGSM and the original anime. She was given so much depth in both incarnations it's hard, but if I had to choose, I'd go with the PGSM because the original anime can be a bit too Mary Sue and on the live action, we get DARKURY *-*

Mars: PGSM. Rei's a character that has been very well developed throughout the adaptations. Nonetheless, for me, all the strenght of the character only fully comes out on the 2003 live.

Jup: PGSM. PGSM. PGSM. That's the most obvious answer because C'MON PEOPLE! She is the only one that NO ADAPTATION WHATSOEVER DID JUSTICE. No adaptation besides PGSM. She was finally given justice for all those years of being the big supporting character. Though I must point out her initial development in Crystal was also amazing (act 5 really deserves to be watched even by those who don't like SMC) - she's Munehisa Sakai's favorite senshi, therefore she got special treatment.

Venus: Manga and original anime. Aside from Usagi and Mamoru, Minako is the senshi best developed by the fast paced manga and during the anime we could really see her depression as well as her dream of becoming an idol (both were also pointed out during the live action, but I have a problem with Ayaka's acting).
Back to top Go down
http://www.soulgeek.com.br https://www.youtube.com/user/mimakoto
EurAsianGirl
Star Seed

EurAsianGirl

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime14th January 2015, 12:43 pm

For overall Inner characterization, PGSM hands down, its not even a contest. PGSM basically took the girl's more serious personalities and pasts of the manga and really fleshed them out and explored them leading to some very real character development where it felt like the girls truly did change by the end of the series as well as found their true family in each other. Since everyone seems to be doing the girls one by one and writing which version they perceive each character excelled in best I suppose I'll do the same.

Usagi: Honestly Usagi is probably the one Inner other than Minako and maybe Rei where I feel there's a tie and PGSM isn't in fact the BEST portrayal. For me personally when it comes to Usagi all three versions: PGSM, nineties anime and manga are equal in portraying her growth they just each tend to focus on different things. In PGSM the growth of Usagi is her development from the selfish, almost indifferent Princess of her past life who only cared and found solace in her lover, to her reincarnation in her new life as a kind, caring, selfless girl who puts others before her self and truly loves and cares about her friends and the world around her rather than just Endymion. Through her reincarnation she experiences the beauty of the world and how valuable the gift of friendship is and with that finds that the entire world is worth saving and preserving not just one person. She goes from a spoiled, "childish" [As Beryl so eloquently puts it] Princess into a true heroine, willing to fight alongside her newfound friends to protect the good that IS within the universe.

The manga on the other hand takes a different approach. While it echoes some of PGSMs themes of Usagi first only caring about one person to the point of suicide at the beginning, while at the end, gaining the inner strength to go on and protect the entire universe even when she is literally all alone, I felt this version focused more on USAGI's dark and selfish side, which she eventually learns to embrace in the end as a part of humanity. She learns that selfishness, darkness or "chaos" is normal and can even be channeled into good. Its impossible to eradicate completely from others as well as the universe as everyone and the world needs a balance of both good and evil, light and dark, selfishness and selflessness to keep the universe in order. Its the natural cycle of lief and is what proves that you're still living and experiencing ALL of life, both the good and the bad. The solution she learns, isn't to completely eradicate the darkness and evil in the world but to EMBRACE it and learn to balance it in a healthy way. Its unhealthy to try to suppress it and to try to live up to be a perfect saintly person, its practically impossible and only by realizing this does Usagi, ironically actually ascend the stairs of saint-hood and becomes a true Goddess and "the brightest star of all."

The nineties anime gives a far more straight-forward approach to Usagi's development, treating her story as a typical coming-of-age tale. In the anime Usagi is much more pure-hearted, innocent and selfless compared to her manga counterpart. Her development in this version isn't about learning to embrace and accept the darkness within herself but to grow from a irresponsible, crybaby, childish, immature little girl into a real leader and savior. Her growth in the anime is basically about Usagi learning to come to terms and accept and eventually embrace her new life as Sailor Moon, defender of the Earth. Its a much more simple development compared to the manga  or even PGSM but it works as the anime is long and told well and so we see her growth and acceptance of this role throughout the entire series, finally culminating at the end of the final episode where she proudly declares her status as "The Pretty Soldier of Love and Justice, Sailor Moon" compare that to her wish in the season one finale where she just wants to return to her existence as a normal girl, not having to fight anymore. While anime Usagi's complete and utter purity might seem a tad unrealistic and even dare I say it "Mary-Sueish." She makes it work by thankfully balancing it out with a plethora of flaws, much more then her manga and PGSM counterparts have. This version of Usagi is the most "immature" and her constant failings, whininess, laziness, gluttoness and plain idiocy cause her to more often then not be the butt of practically every joke really contrasting and showing the audience how someone like this could possible be the world's future ruler and current protector. Luckily this overabundance of flaws makes her relatable to the audience and proves her endearing rather than annoying so it all works out in the end. Really which version of Usagi you prefer is all up to an individual's tastes as I found them all equally developed just focusing on different things.

So there you have it, when it comes to Usagi its impossible to choose just one version in which she's portrayed best since because she's the main character and the face of the franchise, each version goes above and beyond in doing her the utmost justice, albeit in different ways but they're all equal nevertheless. PGSM Usagi's journey is about learning to look past herself and find beauty and good in the world, Manga Usagi's journey is all about learning to accept the darkness within herself and the world and channel it into something good and nineties anime Usagi is all about her learning to accept and love her new life and role as Sailor Moon and growing from a immature, scared little girl, into a mature, wise and confident young woman. 

Now lets move on to the Inners...

Ami: PGSM, its not even a contest. I'll be honest, Ami was forever my least favorite Senshi out of both the Inners and Outers, I just never found her interesting compared to the other, more dynamic girls. To me she was the exact embodiment of the "shy-sweet, awkward genius" trope. There just wasn't much to her. That all changed with PGSM, holy hell did PGSM give me a newfound appreciation of Ami as it basically took all her defining traits and explored the HELL out of them, turning this trope onto its head and giving her much needed depth and character development. She's still not my favorite, but I can definitely now say that I whole-heartedly DO love her and its all thanks to the glorious PGSM. 

Rei: Like Minako and Usagi, Rei's a little tougher as I also felt each of the three versions brought something unique and good to the table for her. In the anime, while we don't learn much of her past she at least has tons of personality. I love her fieryness and goofiness, I found her much more relatable in the anime and very much like myself. Its honestly thanks to the anime that she became tied with Minako for my favorite Inner. Yes I suppose its a shame that a lot of her uniqueness and depth got dashed away in the anime, but I think they made up for it by focusing on her the most of the Inners and moving her into the "leader" role. Her friendship with Usagi is one of the strongest and most heartfelt in the series and I really loved watching it develop. And honestly even though they turned her boy-crazy I didn't feel she lost any of her uniqueness, I found that they made a new uniqueness for her one that was very feisty, determined, stubborn, loud and trying to look and act graceful when she's really not. All those traits combined made her unique and still still stand out even with the loss of her graceful stoicness from the manga. Still though I do like the anime's take on Rei and think they did a good job with her I ultimately have to hand it to PGSM again with doing the best job. They kept her fiery, short-tempered personality from the anime and combined it with her backstory from the manga and really delved into both showing us the audience, what made Rei, Rei. Her hard-headeness and standoffishness is not played for laughs here, it is explored and dissected and has some of the most emotional Rei moments in the entirety of the Sailor Moon franchise. That scene where she faces off with her father and remembers her mother... Her bonding with Ami and Mako and finding just how alike she is to the two of them and of course who can forget all of her heart-wrenching scenes with Minako, another thing they preserved from the manga but expanded and developed it so in-depth that I would call it one of the best sismances in existence, platonic or not. So yeah, PGSM wins here again, though the manga DOES have Casablanca Memory... I would say like Usagi its a tie between all three versions of Sailor Moon with PGSM only slightly edging out ahead of the anime and manga.

Makoto: Like Ami this is easy, PGSM all the way~ The anime unfortunately made Mako-chan a little too superficial and one-note and didn't really go deep digging into her psyche and background, also PGSM finally gave her a proper love interest in the form of Motoki which wasn't a case of "pair the spares" but was a romance that was meant to legitimately serve as character development for Mako and explore her past. See Crystal, this is an example of how you do a proper Senshi romance, THIS is a perfect example of how to have a romance that makes a character stand out, its all about proper development time, chemistry and SHOWING NOT TELLING. Crystal could have definitely taken a few pointers from Mako-chan and Motoki's relationship and PGSM in general  alas it didn't. :bunnycry:But I digress, when it comes to portraying our beautiful feminine gentle giant with a heart of gold, PGSM takes the cake and then some. Though in the manga there is a very poignant moment between Makoto and Asanuma in the R arc where we learn more about her past and get some insight into her thoughts and feelings and even Crystal for all its faults did an excellent job on Mako's introductory episode, but still both moments were too brief and not explored enough unlike in PGSM, so yeah PGSM still wins.

Minako: Like Usagi and Rei this is another tie, only this time the tie isn't between all three versions but between PGSM and the manga. While I felt that the original anime did actually do a good job at portraying Rei and putting a different spin on her, putting her in the leader role and shoving Minako out of it unfortunately got our lovely Soldier of Love and Beauty shafted and literally pushed into the background. Gone was Minako's signature leader-like, tough personality, now she was very much the docile "go with the flow" type that preferred to follow rather then lead and thus lost a lot of her fire and zest. Oh sure, she still had her moments in one-off filler episodes where they kept her utterly insane goofiness and rock-hard determination and there were even two episodes that explored the more serious side of her but overall these were one-off moments not really explored in-depth and her development wasn't very consistent, she usually just faded into the background and was always a little too "chill." I always felt she was the Senshi that got the absolute worst treatment in the anime, but seeing as how she was the leader in the manga and came in last I suppose that was the price to pay in order to allow Rei to shine in the spotlight as leader... A tough trade-off but one that ultimately made her anime self rather unmemorable. Its in PGSM and the manga where she really shines and boy does she EVER shine in these two, just like the star she was always meant to be~ Unfortunately I can't pick between the two, the characterization of Mina in both is so different, yet so similar and yet still so uniquely Mina. THIS is who Minako is, the no-nonsense, take-charge, fiery, rough, tough, badass leader who is always front and center. Both PGSM and the manga understand the core of her character, they just choose to go about exploring it in different yet equal ways.

In PGSM they basically gave her the personality of an Outer Senshi, extremely dedicated to the mission, no-nonsense, distant and very very serious. But of course even this darker take on Mina-P had its reasons, we were thrust into a new situation with her, one that was never seen before and quite frankly it worked. Her new story with her battling terminal illness really showcased Minako's deep attachment to their past lives and her being unwilling to let go of it, something that I think was always hidden there beneath the surface of Minako in the manga. She was definitely the one that was always most focused on the past, but not out of nostalgia. I feel her attachment to the past was because of her guilt, the guilt that she as the leader of the Princess's guardians allowed that tragedy to happen, she failed as a leader and that's why she was never able to allow herself to move on and be happy in her new life. Not just that though, she also hangs onto her past life because she feels she literally has nothing else to live for in her current life. That fortune that Ace gave her... That she'll never be able to find love, that she'll always be bound to duty... Minako I feel out of all of the Senshi truly feels that there's nothing to look forward to, nothing worthwhile or meaningful in the life that she has a normal girl, its this combined with guilt and the burden of being the first one to awaken and remember everything that she clings on so unhealthily to the past and PGSM explores all of this, but puts a new twist on it by making it in the context of a terminal illness and BY GOD IT WORKS, BY GOD DOES IT WORK ITS BRILLIANT! Still I do miss the multi-faced personality of the Minako from the manga, where while she is very serious and diligent in her duty she still is incredibly zany, goofy and full of life! And when you take into account the Sailor V manga and count it along with the Sailor Moon manga... Well I'm sure you can see why I can't just pick between the two. She is completely and utterly perfect in both PGSM and the manga, both explore the core of her character and her insecurities just in different ways. PGSM is a darker more serious take on Minako, while the manga still includes her fun and wacky personality, again its really all up to individual taste like with Usagi on which one you prefer they're both on the exact same level of portrayal though and that is NOT subjective

So to sum it all up:

Usagi- Tie between the manga, PGSM and nineties anime. Ami- PGSM, Rei-PGSM but only slightly, manga and nineties anime still have their merits in their portrayal of her. Makoto- PGSM, Minako- Tie between PGSM and the Manga.
Back to top Go down
OuterHarmonie23
Pyramidal Crystal

OuterHarmonie23

Pyramidal Crystal

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime14th January 2015, 5:59 pm

I need to watch PGSM and Myu so I can adequately make a post in here!
Back to top Go down
http://greengemini23.tumblr.com
Neon Genesis
Star Seed

Neon Genesis

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime19th January 2015, 1:16 pm

Usagi-Manga I feel like the manga version does the best job of balancing out Usagi as a serious leader and also her goofy clumsy side.  The anime version while a classic I feel over-exaggerates her clumsyness, especially during the SuperS season, while PGSM goes in the opposite direction and sometimes makes her too serious, especially when she becomes Princess Serenity.  I didn't like that PGSM made Serenity too cold and uncaring and she seemed more selfish in that version than having a strong sense of justice.   I just don't think the real Serenity would ever let Usagi's brother almost get hurt at one point.

Ami-For me it's a tie between anime Ami and PGSM Ami.  I love that PGSM explores more of Ami's social anxieties and doesn't make her friendship with Usagi and her friends easy or simple and I love the inclusion of Dark Mercury.  On the other hand, I loved that anime Ami seemed to embrace her nerdy studious side more while at the same time she could have her goofy moments, like when she crushes after Taiki in Stars.  I also love Ami and Ryo as a pairing and I think they're one of my all time favorite Sailor Moon pairings.

Rei- It's another tie between the anime and PGSM.  I love anime Rei's fieriness and how she was a girl who knew what she wanted and would do what it took to get it.  I loved her relationship with Yuuhichiro too and always thought it was cute and funny while having sad moments like in that episode of S where Yuuhichiro almost leaves.  I also love how even though Rei and Usagi argue all the time, she's really Usagi's closest friend and I feel like Rei always gets the best dramatic moments of all the Inners in the original anime.  In regards to PGSM, I was impressed with how they combined elements of Rei's character from the anime with her traits from the manga while also introducing some original storyline ideas.  I thought her conflicts with her father was very sad and I loved how she developed a close friendship with Makoto.   I also liked that she took on a leadership role for the Soldiers here and I loved her rivalry with Venus. 

Makoto- It's PGSM here hands down.  While I love Makoto in the other versions, I feel like they don't really explore her character enough like they do with the other Soldiers and I love how Makoto is fleshed out more in PGSM.  I loved that she was concerned about Usagi and did her best to help her in the conflicts with her relationship with Mamoru.  I also loved that PGSM treated Makoto's feelings for her sempai seriously instead of making it a running gag though the running gag was a cute aspect in the original anime too.  I especially was glad that Makoto got to be in a relationship with Motoki and was finally able to find the happy relationship she wanted to in this version and I think they were just cute and perfect for each other.  I'm also going to have to give a shoutout to Crystal Makoto just because Crystal did her introduction episode so well.  I loved that they expanded on her past with the added flashbacks and explained more about what happened with her and her sempai and her VA is just perfect in Crystal.  I still think it's the best episode of Crystal so far. 

Minako-I'm going to say manga Minako here.  Like Usagi, I feel like the manga does the best job of balancing her serious side with her comical side.  She could be silly like when she accidentally drops the sword in Ami's apartment but she also has more of the determined leader role here.  I also love the manga subplot of Minako pretending to be the Moon Princess to protect Usagi.  I thought that was a really great twist to the story.  Anime Minako has her moments but I feel like they make her too shallow a lot of the times, like the two timing episode where she's cheating on Tigerseye and Hawkseye.  She had some great moments in the first season like on her background episode about her past in England is still sad and tragic for me whenever I see her, but it's like after the first season, the anime didn't really know what to do with her character and just seemed to make her into the comic relief.  PGSM Minako takes it it too far in the opposite direction by making her too serious and angsty, almost to the level of the Outers.   While making her already an idol made for some interesting twists to the story, I felt like it took away from the theme of Sailor Moon that they're supposed to be ordinary girls that just happen to have superpowers that you could relate to and I didn't feel like I could relate to PGSM Minako at all and it's that ability to relate to the Soldiers why I love them so much.   I do like they still preserve Usagi's friendship and adoration of Minako but she's just too distant in PGSM for me.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Zelda
Lotus Crystal

Sailor Zelda

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's offical Queen Serenity

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime11th July 2015, 12:27 pm

I probably shouldn't say anything, having not been keeping up with Crystal, or watching any of the musicals or PGSM (if anyone could give me some websites that run on Nooks to watch them that'd be great) but I have to say that I generally prefer the manga version of any of the characters. Usagi got less flightly, Mars was less angry (and not boy crazy), and Mamoru was ACTUALLY USEFUL.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwbSoNZZ_HxPDx7Z7BtXvGQ
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]   [Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version] I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

[Debate] Which version were they best portrayed in? [Moon and Inners Version]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top