The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

First GC Newspaper Issue Outline

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

First GC Newspaper Issue Outline Empty
PostSubject: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime26th January 2013, 9:26 pm

Just a placeholder thread for when we want to outline the first issue's contents and order

☐☑

Main Articles:

☑Momoiro Clover Z (Miki)
☐New Point System (Lady Tuxedo)
☐Sailor Moon Composers (Miki)

Running Articles / Columns:

☐Ask a Senshi: (Lady Tuxedo)
☑Sailor Moon Etymology: The Solar System Soldiers and Allies (Miki)
☐Japanese Corner: Basic Greetings (Lady Tuxedo)
☑New Merchandise: (Lady Tuxedo)

Reviews:

☐Sailor Moon Video Review: Spring 1999 - The Legend of Kaguya Island (Small Lady)
☐Sailor Moon Music Review:
☑Old Movie Review: Papa, Can You Hear Me Sing (Miki)
☐New Movie Review:
☐Book Review: (Lady Tuxedo)

TV Show Review:

Bonus Articles:

☑ Recipe: Ikuko-mama's Specialty: Lemon Pie (Small Lady)

Personals & Advertisements:

Diversions:

☐Caption Competition
☑Crossword
☐Wordfind (Lady Tuxedo)
☑Riddles (Miki)
☑Word Wheel
☑Fun Facts (Miki)

Last edited by Houyou no Senshi on 16th March 2013, 8:44 pm; edited 19 times in total
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime26th January 2013, 10:20 pm

Updated with possible areas to cover, what the specific content is for each article is up for suggestion!

Perhaps could I write a beginner's guides to Momoiro Clover Z? And perhaps we could have a question bag for "ask the editor" to ask questions about Sailor Moon, the site or just random questions?

I suggest a Lemon Pie for the Recipe and the movies "Papa Can You Hear Me Sing" and "The Hobbit" for movies
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime28th January 2013, 7:22 pm

Updated with Brit's and Tux's ideas

Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

Title : Who am I now in this world without her?

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 8:37 pm

I'll do the Ask a Senshi. New merch...word finder, and the point system. I can do a book review too, though they'll be teeny bopper books XD
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 8:38 pm

I actually wouldn't mind doing one of the reviews. I'm not sure which one though.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 9:23 pm

Lady Tuxedo wrote:
I'll do the Ask a Senshi. New merch...word finder, and the point system. I can do a book review too, though they'll be teeny bopper books XD

That's fine, just pick a book and senshi you want to do Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 10:16 pm

Oh, I'll be doing Kaguya Shima Densetsu as my video review and be doing the lemon pie recipe too!

Once I do the pie (which i may make Friday so i can take pictures), I'll see whatever else is up for grabs and work ontoo. Smile
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 10:32 pm

Filled in a lot more, i took four of the main articles for myself because im the greediest lass in the Pacific. (that and i think im the only one who knows enough about Momoclo and Akiko Kosaka to write about them, and the only one besides Kyra who has seen Akumuchan)

If it gets too much ill drop Akiko's article this issue since the album doesn't come out till March. The Sailor Moon Anime 2013 is also meh-y since there's not info on it. But we'll see

Brit is taking the Recipe and Video Review and I'll be taking the old Movie review and funfacts. I selected the Taiwanese classic "Papa, Can You Hear Me Sing?"

so left to grab are:

Sailor Moon Music Review
New Movie Review
TV Show Review
Personal Advertisements

and for the specific content of stuff:

New Merchandise
Book Review

^ thats for you to decide on tux

for the stuff left to grab if anyone doesnt want to do them should we commission them to the wider Forum?

Any suggestions for New Movie, TV Show etcetera for Sailor Moon Music I suggest something PGSMy since we're lacking that =\

i hope no one feels im taking over the newspaper as leader or anything im not trying to i just like to keep things pain-in-the-tushie-level organised

Last edited by Houyou no Senshi on 29th January 2013, 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 10:37 pm

OH that reminds me, could we do Merchandise reviews? I have a few of the new merchandise (mainly bags, tshirts, and suspenders that were on clearance... >.>)... I've used most of my merch for a few months now so I can give a testament to quality and stuff.

Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 10:40 pm

Small Lady wrote:
OH that reminds me, could we do Merchandise reviews? I have a few of the new merchandise (mainly bags, tshirts, and suspenders that were on clearance... >.>)... I've used most of my merch for a few months now so I can give a testament to quality and stuff.

its up there in the mainpost already actually Wink, Tuxie has offered to do that, maybe you could suggest what merchandise in particular to evaluate
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 10:42 pm

Yeah, what she said.

As for book for me to review.......I think I'll dooo.....(god it's been so long since I've last read a good book)......hmm........I don't know. I'll think about it XD

I totally though, call dibs on Girl Meets World for a TV show review when it airs. It'll be sometime later this year; the pilot is being filmed in Feb.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime29th January 2013, 11:09 pm

Lady Tuxedo wrote:
Yeah, what she said.

As for book for me to review.......I think I'll dooo.....(god it's been so long since I've last read a good book)......hmm........I don't know. I'll think about it XD

I totally though, call dibs on Girl Meets World for a TV show review when it airs. It'll be sometime later this year; the pilot is being filmed in Feb.

Yup thats fine, I think we should keep a list somewhere of ideas for future articles so we have some sort of reserve. I'm writing the Momoiro Clover Z article now *listening to music for the inspirations*
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime30th January 2013, 5:04 am

Let me be totally unproductive by saying "Woot, Girl Meets World!"
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime30th January 2013, 5:33 am

Houyou no Senshi wrote:
Small Lady wrote:

its up there in the mainpost already actually Wink, Tuxie has offered to do that, maybe you could suggest what merchandise in particular to evaluate

I thought it was more just to talk about the new merchandise and showcase whats out, not necessarily reviews.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime30th January 2013, 7:09 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Houyou no Senshi wrote:
Small Lady wrote:

I thought it was more just to talk about the new merchandise and showcase whats out, not necessarily reviews.

Hmm maybe we can have a gallery of new releases and a review on a particular one on the same page?
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime1st February 2013, 3:10 am

Putting this here until we have a submission thread, its not completely proofread but here we go:

Article Title:

"Hey Ellington, it don't mean a thing if it ain't go that swing: A Beginner's Guide to Momoiro Clover Z"

Momoiro Clover Z ももいろクローバーZ (Pink Clover Z) is a current five member (formerly six member) all-female Japanese pop idol group featuring Kanako Momota (as leader), Ayaka Sasaki (as sub-leader), Shiori Tamai, Momoka Ariyasu, Reni Takagi and formerly Akari Hayami. The group was formed in 2008 sans Momoka, and made their official musical debut with “Momoiro Punch” (Pink Punch), shortly after which Momoka joined the group. The group refers to themselves as the “Weekend Heroines” because of their ages they only perform weekends. In Momoiro Clover Z, each member sports their own colour and distinct personality traits, the airheaded Cinderella from a tea garden, Kanako (red), the slightly sexy stereotypical idol, Ayaka (pink), everyone’s little sister, the gluttonous Shiori (yellow), Momoka (green) who’s short and sassy with a big voice and Reni Takagi (purple) the eccentric electric-shock dancer. Former member Akari Hayami (blue) was known as the “cool beauty”. The group’s popularity really kicked off in 2010 with their hit “Ikuze! Kaitou Shoujo” (Let’s Go! Phantom Thief Girls) and was furthered by the film “Shirome”, a light horror film with a twist, that is the members of the group (except Akari who helped to convince the other five) were not told that they were in a horror movie and they believed that the strange goings-on were real in order to gain their “real reaction”, the movie shows the girls bursting tears after being told it was a set up over the credits. Across 2011, the group continued to grow in popularity with hits such as “Mirai Bowl” (Future Bowl - ending theme of “Dragon Crisis”), “Pinky Jones” (ending theme of “Yosuga no Sora” – Sky of Connection) and my personal favourite “Koko☆Natsu” (Here is☆Summer / Coco☆Nuts - ending theme of “Shirome” and despite Akari Hayami leaving the group, though not before releasing the special single “Akarin e Okuru Uta” (A Gift Song for Akarin), their last release before changing their name from Momoiro Clover to Momoiro Clover Z. A month later the group released their first full album entitled “Battle and Romance” which included new vocals in place of Akari’s, the group continued to grow from strength and strength through a steady release of popular sings through 2012 including the ever-popular “Mouretsu Uchuu Koukyoukyoku Dainana Gakushou «Mugen no Ai»” (Bodacious Space Symphony – Seventh Movement “Infinite Love” - opening theme for “Bodacious Space Pirates”), “Mitemite Kotchichi” (Look, Look, Here~ere, ending theme for Pocket Monsters Best Wishes), “Otome Sensou” (Maiden War - which caused much confusion at a niconico live event for the Western Sailor Moon community as many fansites reported it as the new theme song which was in fact not true, it was their most recent single that was, whether coincidentally or not, about maidens fighting battles but this is more in line with the groups title of “Weekend Heroines”.) and their most recent regular single “Saraba, Itoshiki Kanashimitachi yo” (Farewell, My Beloved Sorrows - the theme song for recent drama which starred Keiko Kitagawa, Rei Hino / Sailor Mars from the the live action “Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon” series and also featured the voice acting of Shiori Tamai. When they began as a group, they were committed to the goal of being on “Kouhaku Uta Gassen” (a prestigious New Years music show in Japan, it is often considered one of the highest points in a musical career) which they successfully accomplished in the New Year and have now moved their goal to holding live concert at the National Olympic Stadium, a second album is also being prepared for 2013.
On the surface Momoiro Clover Z may seem to outsiders as a stereotypical idol group, but there is far much more depth to this group, with their distinct personalities, numerous live concerts, live-streams, television appearances and their heartfelt promise that they’ll always be there to cheer up their fans when they’re down, Momoiro Clover personalize their act, the gap between them and their fans is minimalised and fans are able to grow emotionally attached to the group or to specific members of it. The songs are catchy and surprisingly not generic, the genres greatly vary from rap to enka, but the bulk of their music belongs to the fast-paced, upbeat pop you would expect of a Japanese girl group, but even then the melodies are experimental and the lyrics catchy and often thoughtful, the group varies so much that it’s almost impossible to pin them down to a single genre or style, from Reni Takagi’s hauntingly beautiful “Tsugaru Hantou Tappizaki” to their over-the-top and informational guide to Japan “Momoclo no Nippon Banzai”. However, they aren’t entirely flawless, the group is not always the best live, they can be on or off and it varies from performance to performance, nerves and their energy seem to play a rather large part of how well they perform live, but we must offer them some leeway since they must sing with handheld microphones while remembering and performing their diverse and complicated dance routines for the various songs, no mean feat for a group of teenagers, there is also just as many well done performances as there are performances that need a bit more work. Momoiro Clover Z is truly a remarkable unique group who seem the logic choice to perform the theme song for the 2013 summer anime. As a five member girl group who transform into heroines of love and are loved by their fans from all over Japan (like the Sailor Moon series, Momoiro Clover Z has a very large adult --- male and female --- fanbase) capable of both gentle romantic songs and upbeat pop, there can truly be no competition for who would get to sing the theme song, it also helps that Momoiro Clover Z is under Stardust Promotions, a company which has a long-standing relationship with Sailor Moon and is connected to many people and groups including DALI, Aya Sugimoto, Keiko Kitagawa and ANZA and we should all expect something great from the new theme song, whether it’s a cover or a brand new song. I am personally sure it will be in the same tier as “Moonlight Densetsu”, “La Soldier” and “Kirari☆Sailor Dream”, though we may cling to the old versions due to their familiarity and fear the new anime, we should all give the new version an equal chance and take it for what it is rather than lay up all our own expectations of it, it is a fresh start and I believe we should treat it as such, in the words of Momoclochan, “farewell to a thrown-off yesterday, muster up your voice of courage”.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime2nd February 2013, 5:12 pm

There's so many possibilities for Ami... thats why its so big these are my plans for future articles

Part II: Chibiusa, Haruka, Michiru, Setsuna, Hotaru
Part III: Mamoru, Chibichibi, Sheba, Luna, Artemis, Diana
Part IV: Princess Kakyuu, Seiya, Taiki, Yaten

Article Title:

The Solar System Sailor Soldiers & Allies Etymology: PART I

The Meanings Behind Sailor Moon’s Characters
Like many authors, Naoko Takeuchi seems to strive to put some meaning into the names of her characters, though some are less clear than others, this article intends to try and explain the names of the main characters. I must point out however, that the following has not been confirmed by Naoko Takeuchi or anyone officially connected to the Sailor Moon series and are speculation based on evidence, take the following with a grain of salt as it may or may not have been the intention of the original creator.

Usagi Tsukino (月野うさぎ Tsukino Usagi)

The undeniably most well-known pun of the series is the main character herself. Her name, like most of other Solar System Soldiers contains the kanji (Chinese characters used by the Japanese) identifying her celestial body, in this case, “tsuki” (月) for “Moon”. The second character in her family name “no” (野) means “fields”, making the literal meaning “Moonfields”. Usagi is written with the hiragana writing system and means “rabbit”, her full name is a pun on the phrase “Rabbit of the Moon”, this is because the character (野) is pronounced the same way as the possessive particle “no” (の), so Tsukino Usagi becomes Tsuki-no-Usagi (Rabbit of the Moon). In Japanese folklore it is said that on the Moon there is a rabbit pounding ingredients to make a rice cake, this is brought about because of the dark and light parts of the Moon contrasting to form a rabbit shape, it is a similar idea to the “Man on the Moon” in the West. Usagi’s hairstyle is supposed to make her appear rabbit-like, additionally Makoto makes the “Rabbit of the Moon” pun in the manga, Usagi’s room is covered in rabbit merchandise and in the Sailor Moon anime she sometimes sports clothing bearing the kanji for rabbit (still pronounced “usagi” 兔).

Ami Mizuno (水野亜美 Mizuno Ami)

Ami’s name unlike most of the other characters is written with kanji, “Mizuno” is the same sort of pun as “Tsukino” in this case a pun on “mizu-no” 水の (of water), the character “mizu” can also be read as “sui” and is the kanji identified with Planet Mercury, in Japanese “suisei” 水星 (literally Water Star). In Eastern Astrology, the five ancient planets, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn are associated with the Chinese elements Water, Metal, Fire, Wood and Earth respectively, this is the reason why Sailor Mercury is associated with water attacks. The “suisei” pun is extended further in the musical “The New Legend of Kaguya Island” where Ami makes a brief speech on comets, which in Japanese are also pronounced “suisei” with a different kanji (彗星). Ami’s given name is harder to give an exact reason, the “mi” is straight forward and means “beauty”, however the character 亜 for “a” is most commonly used as an ateji, a character that is used to represent a sound, this kanji representing the sound “a” is very rarely seen alone, but is sometimes seen in girls names. The character亜does not hold much meaning on its own, many people will tell you that it means nothing, that however is untrue and merely an oversimplification of its use as an ateji. 亜is used to represent a lower rank, particularly in chemical compounds to register that they are of a lower oxidation state (Sulphurous Acid as opposed to Sulphuric Acid), its other use is as an uncommon way for the word “Asia”, I will point out now that some people will tell you that it does not mean Asia, it just appears in compounds with “a” historically before the widespread use of katakana that happened to be about Asia, nonetheless the kanji is connotative towards the meaning Asia and in fact the character is derived from the Chinese character yà (亞) which does in fact mean Asia. It also appears in compounds such as “toua” 東亜for “East Asia”. So the best literal meaning for Ami’s full name would be Asian Beauty Waterfields. However, keep in mind that it is a name and like in English, we do not always concentrate on the actual meaning of the name. The reasoning for the name “Asian Beauty” possibly stems from Noriko Sakai, a pop idol who Ms. Takeuchi noted Ami resembles, even in Ami’s original appearance in the original manga (removed in the rerelease, Usagi comments on Ami’s physical appearance, comparing her to the character Miss Rain from another of Naoko Takeuchi’s work. Other possibilities on Ami are on puns for the French word for friend “ami” or “amie” which are both approximated as “ami” (アミ) in Japanese, this would reflecting her kind and caring nature to all people, or “ami” (網) which is used for knitting or braiding, this might explain why Ami is seen knitting many times during the live-action series. In both these cases the use of the kanji would be to “mask” the true intention of her name and make the pun less obvious.

Rei Hino (火野レイ Hino Rei)

Hino is the same idea as Tsukino and Mizuno, however instead it is a pun on “fire” and “Mars” kasei 火星 (literally Fire Star). However her first name is quite different, unlike all the other characters in the main cast barring Luna, Artemis and Diana whose names are from foreign languages, Rei’s name is written in katakana, a writing system used mainly for approximately foreign words, however in this case, it most likely reflects her connection to traditional Japan by being a priestess, it is rather old-fashioned to name a daughter with katakana. There are many words with the pronunciation “rei” however one stands out more than the others and that is 霊 which refers to spirits, ghosts or souls, something that as a Shinto Priestess with a supernatural sense, Rei is very familiar with.

Makoto Kino (木野まこと Kino Makoto)

Again, Kino follows suit and refers to “wood” and “Jupiter” mokusei 木星 (literally Wood Star), this explains Jupiter’s attacks such as Flower Hurricane and Jupiter Coconuts Cyclone. Makoto’s name is written in hiragana, making it rather ambiguous since there is a variety of ways one can make the name “Makoto” from kanji. The name “Makoto” is often a rather boyish name; this may be a reference to how people often mistakenly judge Makoto as being masculine and tough when she is actually very feminine, as a word itself “makoto” 誠or 真refers to “truth”, “sincerity”, “faithful” “reality” and “honesty”, Japanese groups all these words as a single idea, but it is harder to grasp a single meaning in English, giving Makoto this name may be to suggest at her dedication as a Soldier and loyalty as a genuine friend.

Minako Aino (愛野美奈子 Aino Minako)

Minako breaks the tradition of the other main characters, likely because she was created much earlier. She retains the same “no” pun but “ai” does not directly refer to Venus 金星 (kinsei, literally Metal or Gold Star), for her name to pun on this, it would probably be something along the lines of Kaneno 金野. Ai 愛 means “love”, rather than making her name a pun on Minako of Venus, it is a pun on Minako of Love, fitting as Venus in Roman mythology is the Goddess of Love. Her given name, like Ami’s is in kanji and seems to be part of an elaborate pun, again like Ami, the “mi” 美 means beauty, most likely as Venus was a goddess of Love and Beauty, “ko” 子is a common name ending for girl names and means “child” or “girl”. The character “na” 奈is more difficult to place a meaning of, it really just represents the sound “na”, it also appears in a few inquisitive words and in the city of Nara’s name, for Minako’s name, it is really just used to make the “na” sound to make a pun work. The kanji “mi” can also be pronounced “bi” while the kanji “ko” can also be pronounced “su”, making an alternative reading of the kanji in Minako’s name “binasu”, which is one way to approximate the English word “Venus” (ビナス) into Japanese, so the full pun in her name is “Venus of Love”.

Last edited by Houyou no Senshi on 3rd February 2013, 9:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime2nd February 2013, 5:16 pm

May we have a little column dedicated the Monster-of-the-Day etymology? Like for the first one, maybe Jadeite's Youma and so on, rather than a whole article because there's so many it might be better to do it bit by bit

Also how do you guys feel about moving the Caption Competition to our newspaper instead of the Fruits Parlour?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime2nd February 2013, 6:57 pm

Maybe it could be a "Did You Know" type thing, so maybe it could also be other little facts and trivia.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime2nd February 2013, 7:09 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Maybe it could be a "Did You Know" type thing, so maybe it could also be other little facts and trivia.

I was thinking in addition to that, we've got a fun fact section in the fun section but I was thinking more just a sidebar thingy for the monster names since I think its actually pretty interesting where all the names come from
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime2nd February 2013, 7:46 pm

I did this a while ago, we could abbreviate it what do you think would be the best way to do it

Morga (モルガ Moruga)The name Morga is from, like many villains in the Sailor Moon series, a mineral, in this case “Morganite”(モルガン石 - moruganseki). Morganite is a pink variety of beryl, this underlines her connection to the Dark Kingdom. It is also similar to the word morgue (モルグ morugu), where dead bodies are stored.

Balm (バーム Bāmu)Balm is derived from Palm パーム (pāmu), as in palm-reading, since Balm is connected to fortune telling and tarot cards, a connection to palm reading is not too far stretched.

Flow (フラウ Furau)Flow is from flower フラワー(furawā), in her episode, Flow and Jadeite distribute energy stealing flowers to listeners of Midnight Zero.

Iguara(イグアーラ Iguāra), a corruption of Iguana イグアナ (iguana), Iguara is a reptilian like Youma who uses a pet store as part of her plans, a further reason for Iguana might be because iguanas are sometimes kept as pets by people.

Kyurene (キュレネ Kyurene), this is the Japanese name for the Cyrene who in Greek mythology was pursued by the God of Music, Apollo, music was the theme of the episode in question, Kyurene is also similar to seirens セイレーネス (seirēnesu from the Greek Σειρῆνες "seirēnes") who in Greek mythology used their voices to lure sailors, Kyurene uses her voice to attack. Additionally “kyu” is an onomatopoeic word for “sucking blood” and appears in the Japanese word for vampire (吸血鬼 kyūketsuki)which is probably why Kyurene is connected to bats.

Derella(デレーラ Derēra), an abbreviation of Cinderella (シンデレラ shinderera), the episode features a scouting campaign called the Cinderella Caravan to lure in victims, additionally, Derella uses glass (like the glass slippers in the Cinderella story) as her main means of fighting.

Garoben (ガロベン Garoben), a corruption of “gariben” (がり勉) which can refer to a person who studies too much, or cramming before an exam, Garoben uses a night school to steal energy.

Larma(ラムア Ramua), an anagram of “alarm” (アラム aramu)as in alarm clock, Larma used clocks to cause everyone in Tokyo to speed up their schedules and rush around.

Kigan(キガーン Kigān), from “kigan” (祈願)a Japanese word for prayer, Kigan kidnapped people from outside the Shinto Hikawa Shrine.

Muread (ムーリド Mūrido), an reversal of “dream” (ドリーム murīdo) in Japanese, Muread was capable of sending her victims into a dream-like illusion, her base was also an amusement park called Yumeland (夢ランド Yumerando). “Yume” is Japanese for dream.

Tesni(テスニー Tesunī), an anagram of “tennis” (テニス tenisu)in Japanese, Tesni targeted a tennis-player and used tennis-rackets as weapons.

Petasos (ペタソス Petasosu), a petasos is a type of sunhat from Ancient Greece, it was associated with rural people, since the character targeted was trying to keep his park from being demolished, it seems fitting. His hat somewhat resembles a petasos, petasos were also connected to the God Hermes (equivalent to Mercury), possibly indicating at how Ami was well acquainted with the man.

Widow(ウィドウ Widou), a double-layered pun, first on Black Widow, a kind of spider which is why Widow spins thread (which also connects her to the sewing teacher she targets) and appears with a spider’s body, and from “widow”, a woman whose husband has passed away, the episode’s theme was weddings.

Cameran(キャメラン Kyameran), either from “camera”(キャメラ kyamera) or possible a contraction of “cameraman”(キャメラマン kyameraman), this episode’s theme was photography and Cameran used her camera to trap people.

Jumeau(ジュモー Jumō), in this French-doll themed episode, Jumeau was named for famous doll maker Pierre-François Jumeau.

Castor & Pollux(カストル&ポルクス Casutoru & Porukusu), this duo Youma team are named for the twins in the constellation “Gemini” (which also means twins).

Yaksa(ヤシャ Yasha), mythological beasts that vary widely between Asian cultures, in Japan, Yaksa are ferocious demons that appear visually similar to this Youma when she is without her mask.

Grape(グレープ Gurēpu), simply from grapes, grapevines are seen as part of her character design.

Housenka(ホウセンカ Housenka), a Japanese word for balsam, which can be seen as part of her character design.

Suzuran(スズラン Suzuran), a Japanese word for lily of the valley, which can be seen as part of her character design.

Thetis(テティス Tetisu), a sea nymph from Greek Mythology, she uses a cruise-ship in her plot with Jadeite and uses sea water to attack.

Gesen(ゲーセーン Gēsēn), in Japanese “gēsen” (ゲーセン)is an abbreviation of “geēmu sentā” (ゲームセンター), or “game centre” in English, since the character Crane Game Joe visited so many game centres, this seems fitting.

Boxshi(ボクシー Bokushī), a double pun from “boxing” (ボクシング bokushingu) and the Japanese word “bokushi” (牧師) meaning Priest, the Youma is created from a Priest and in Youma-form, he uses boxing references in his fighting style.

Bunbou(ブンボー Bunbō), an abbreviation of "bunbougu" (文房具) which means stationery, Bunbou uses items such as dividers when he fights the Sailor Soldiers.

Binah(ビーナ Bīna), from one of the sephira on the kabalistic Tree of Life, Binah is associated with the colour green, creativity, the idea of processed understanding and feminism, all qualities that are relevant to the design of Binah or to the artist Yumemi Yumeno.

Rikoukeida(リコウケイダーRikoukeidā), from rikoukei (理工系) which means “science and technology”, Reika is a student at Azabu Technical University.

Jiji, (ジジ Jiji)“jiji” is a word for an old-man or grandfather, but the pun extends to “shishi” (獅子/しし) which is written the same as “jiji” (じじ) without the dakuten. Shishi are magical beasts resembling dogs and lions in Buddhism and Shintoism, at Shinto shrines, a pair of these are often located at the gates, Jiji’s character is designed off these, since Rei and her grandfather work and live at a Shinto Shrine.

Bakene(バケーネ Bakēne), an abbreviation of “bakeneko” (化け猫), a monster-cat, it is obvious how this is connected to the characater.

Akan(アカン Akan), first of all from “aka” (朱), meaning red, the Youma is created from an actor portraying the hero character Redman, and also from Lake Akan, a lake famous for its marimo, a type of ball-shaped seaweed which the Youma uses to attack.

Mitsuami(ミツアーミ Mitsuāmi), mitsuami (三つ編み) in Japanese simply refers to “braids” or “plaits”, the Youma is created from a team of hairdressers.

Shakoukai(シャコウカイ Shakoukai), “shakoukai” (社交界) means “polite society”, Countess Rose is portrayed as a wealthy socialite in the episode, “kai” (貝) can also means “shellfish” or “shell” explaining why Shakoukai is covered in shells.

Blizzar(ブリザー Burizā), simply an abbreviation of Blizzard, since the episode is set on a snowy ski slope.

Zoilyn Gellar (ゾイリン・ゲラーZoirin Gerā), other sources refer to them as Doilyn Geller (ドイリン・ゲラーDoirin Gerā) and another simply by their human forms “Janelyn & Misha”(ジャネリン&ミーシャJanerin & Mīsha), Janelyn is probably a contraction of Janet Lynn and Misha from Peter Misha Petkevich, both American figure-skating competitors in the 1972 Sapporo Olympics, Janet Lynn is especially famous in Japan, the two characters of Janelyn and Misha are obvious foreigners and due to their use of English, implied to be American, the two characters also somewhat resemble their possible real-life counterparts. The episode seems to imply that Youma are individually known as Janelyn and Misha but together “Zoilyn Gellar”, this is reminiscent of how figure skating pair names are formed, likely Zoilyn and Gellar are the last names of the characters, however I have been unable to find the significance of this, perhaps the names of other competitors or terms in figure skating.

Papillon(パピヨン Papiyon), Papillon is the French word for “butterfly”, which the character’s design is clearly based off.

Oniwabandana(オニワバンダナ Oniwabandana), a combination of two words “oniwabanshū” (御庭番衆) who were undercover government agents in Japan in the 17th and 18th centuries, the character in Sailor Moon appears as a stealthy information gathering reporter, the other word is “bandana” (バンダナ) which is a kind kerchief that the Youma uses as a weapon.

DD Girls(D.D.ガールズ D.D. Gāruzu), around the time when this episode first came out in Japan there was a four group girl band called CC Girls which apparently inspired this five group of Youma, the change from C to D most likely stems from the location of the battle, D Point.

Last edited by Houyou no Senshi on 3rd February 2013, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime3rd February 2013, 7:01 pm

Triple posting but I want to point out that once the check of my article is done I want to include:

Second Album title was released today: 5th Dimension

and i want to mention Yakusoku no Uta in it too
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime3rd February 2013, 7:04 pm

I feel this section should slide a little on "multiple post rules" because it's been a couple days and we're in the developing stages. >.> so it's kinda natural.

PS -- I will get around to reading all this!
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime3rd February 2013, 7:36 pm

Damn 5th Dimension is coming out too early, I thought it might contain the name of the new Sailor Moon song but its just a wee too early because it comes out in April when the anime is slated for Summer.
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime3rd February 2013, 7:45 pm

Bummer. D:

good news: I made the pie and holy crap its amazing!
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime3rd February 2013, 7:46 pm

Small Lady wrote:
Bummer. D:

good news: I made the pie and holy crap its amazing!

pics or gtfo?

^ internetpunsy
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime3rd February 2013, 7:48 pm

XD I took quite a few pics, I need to go through them to decide on whcih one to use.
Back to top Go down
Houyou no Senshi
Lotus Crystal

Houyou no Senshi

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime6th February 2013, 10:28 pm

Anyone got anything to submit or any new ideas or suggestions or anything

I plan on rewatching "Papa Can You Hear Me Sing" this weekend to write a review

For the New Movie and Television review, do you guys want to pick a movie and show and then to offer the whole forum to apply to write that particular article? Or do either of you want to write it yourself? Sorta like freelancin'

Les Mis and The Hobbit might be good ideas, not sure about TV, any good new shows out recently? (or returning shows or old shows whatever)

What do you guys think
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime7th February 2013, 12:21 pm

Maybe instead of us picking the movie/TV show, we ask for forum submitted entries? We just have to request that it's something that has come out recently (like limit it to within the last 6 months or something). Also, maybe we could in the first issue put a little advert saying we want freelance articles for reviews on movies and TV shows. Or something? I don't think its something we shoudl worry about for this first issue. We have to see what its reception is like too.

I think right now we kinda need to take it slow. I know Tux is really busy with school and I haven't had that much spare time either. Why don't we just work on a few things at a time?

I'm thinking perhaps we should have a loose time of May for a possible release. By then we may have started the process on getting a new admin.
Back to top Go down
Jupiter Rose
Lotus Crystal

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime7th February 2013, 12:33 pm

Yeah... x.x I'll see if I can really sit down and start writing this weekend and I'll throw it up here to get some input. Maybe I can start on the basic Japanese and also a review of a Sailor Moon merch.

I think the Japanese basics should be, basic. I can take it step by step like we're doing in class. Like, simple greetings and like what の is used for and も anddd は (that's all we've got down so far, aside from hiragana and katakana and a handful of words XD)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First GC Newspaper Issue Outline   First GC Newspaper Issue Outline I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First GC Newspaper Issue Outline

View previous topic View next topic Back to top