The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

Senior Member  Jupiter Emeritus

Title : Rebecca Freckleton

Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction Empty
PostSubject: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 10:37 am

Hallo Moonies,

So I am slowly making my way back into the fanfiction world again, more specifically, Sailor Moon fanfiction. I used to write SM fics all the time but then college kind of took over and all of my writing time went into essays. I am beginning to have time once again to write my own personal stories and I thought that it would be nice to talk with fellow authors and gather feedback from Sailor Moon readers. Smile

For example, one thing that I find to be troublesome when writing is dealing with the Senshi names and all of the female pronouns. You can't say "she laughed" or "it surprised her", because when you have five+ girls and a female cat it all becomes rather vague as to who you are talking about. Writing out the girls' names is not so much a problem but I find it cumbersome to constantly put "Sailor Moon said," or "Sailor Mars glanced at Sailor Uranus-" when you have a long scene filled with Senshi, it becomes a mouthful after a while.

How do you guys get around this? After the first introduction of the Senshi to the scene, I eliminate "Sailor" and just refer to them as "Mercury, Jupiter, etc". Unfortunately this cannot be done for Sailor Moon. "Moon sat up" sounds rather silly to me.

How do you as an author deal with this and to the readers, do you find these kinds of scenes filled with "Sailor This" and "Sailor That?" to be bothersome after a while?

And what about the use of elemental descriptions for the Senshi? Do you find that to be cliche or do you think that that kind of writing works?

So, to the authors:
- What other kinds of snags do you find yourself getting into when writing SM fanfiction?
- What cliches do you find are rampant in the fandom and try to avoid?
- What topics do you find the most difficult or easiest to write about?
- Do you like syncing with anime canon or manga canon?

Now to the readers:
- What words or phrases do you find to be typically cliche or overused by SM authors?
- What are your favorite kinds of storylines?
- Do you prefer canon related or AU?
- What characters do you feel are written about the most and the least?

Authors can answer both questions if they want! And please feel free to throw in your own. I am really interested in hearing from all of you. Smile

Last edited by Sailor Jupiter on 8th January 2013, 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://isshou-ni.net
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

Title : Leg Lamp Power, Make Up!

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 10:57 am

Well, to answer your first question, sometimes you have to become creative with descriptions. For example, instead of Sailor Mercury you could write "the senshi of water and ice" which is rather long or "the blue-haired teenager" or other such characteristics that distinguish the sailor senshi from each other.

There are tons of cliches rampant in Sailor Moon fan fiction. I despise the cliche that involves the sailor senshi turning on or suddenly hating Sailor Moon, which causes her to flee to another dimension (say the Dragonball Z dimension), where she falls in love with... Goku or someone. That is just so freaking ridiculous. The sailor senshi obviously quickly grow to love and support each other. Of course, another popular cliche with any fandom is the Mary Sue cliche, which almost always translates to a long lost sibling, a long lost sailor senshi, Sailor Earth, or Sailor Sun.

I'm not sure if there is a particular type of storyline I like, but I tend to like super-duper long fan fiction that approaches novel length. These stories are often very involved and have a higher quality. I tend to prefer canon, but I have read some really damn good AUs over the years.

Last edited by Sailor Venus on 30th April 2012, 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

Outer Senshi Admin  Roleplay Director

Title : Oh, you mean you DON'T have an Elephabulous? Shame.

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 10:58 am

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
How do you guys get around this? After the first introduction of the Senshi to the scene, I eliminate "Sailor" and just refer to them as "Mercury, Jupiter, etc". Unfortunately this cannot be done for Sailor Moon. "Moon sat up" sounds rather silly to me.
I do this XD Most of my stories don't involve too many senshi so far, but when they do I drop the Sailor part and drizzle it in every few paragraphs just to keep things interesting. As for Moon, I agree that it looks really weird naked... u_u but I don't know what to do about it.

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
And what about the use of elemental descriptions for the Senshi? Do you find that to be cliche or do you think that that kind of writing works?
I'm not too sure what you mean ^^'. Like using 'the senshi of fire' instead of saying Sailor Mars? 'Cause I like that, but only every once in a while, like the use of Sailor, just because it does make it a mouthful and can be super flowery at times. Maybe using it only when their elemental alignment is important to the situation?

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
So, to the authors:
- What other kinds of snags do you find yourself getting into when writing SM fanfiction?
  • Headcanon! XD But then, most of my work has been about weaving headcanon into the stories to solve different plot holes in the manga (and i use 'holes' rather loosely here). But structurally, for me it was that whole "Sailor" business you spoke of, and in JotMK it's been the similar with the shitennou and using their given names so many times, especially with Zoisite and Jadeite with both of them being blonde. x.x I've kinda given up and gone straight to 'Haha, screw it, they know who I'm talking about.'
  • Sailor Sun. Sailor Earth. ((*coughs and hides Tellus&Sol*)). Senshi who live on Earth but have nothing to do with the solar system. ... pretty much otaku senshi in general. And pairing Mamoru with different people, or breaking up the UsaxMamo pairing to get them with other people without resolving or explaining time paradoxes. I pretty much try to avoid anything that couldn't be canon. ... but this is coming from someone who hasn't read much fanfiction. ^^'
  • Most difficult: Kissy romantic scenes! Most Difficult Topic: Aging in the Silver and Crystal Millenniums! x_x Scientific jumps in eras.
    Easiest: interactions between favorite pairings! Tricky part is reviewing to make sure they're still themselves x_x Oh! And interactions between friends that we haven't seen in the show so there's no presidence, such as the good versions of the shitennou xD ((er... yeah. I dont' really have a lot of useful stuff for plots that take place within the timeline we know...))
  • I like syncing with the manga canon, but throwing in some really cute touches from the anime canon, like the star locket, Mamoru's fear of needles, interactions between Usagi and Shingo; just tiny little things.

Back to top Go down
http://fanfiction.net/~kyralih http://kyralih.tumblr.com
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 1:05 pm

Yay! I'm so glad that you commented. ^^ I know that you write a lot.

Quote :
As for Moon, I agree that it looks really weird naked... u_u but I don't know what to do about it.
XD Yes, that's so perfect. I feel like I am making a cheap slang or saying that crude childish insult of "mooning" someone. It's just, no, doesn't work for me. Razz

Quote :
I'm not too sure what you mean ^^'. Like using 'the senshi of fire' instead of saying Sailor Mars? 'Cause I like that, but only every once in a while, like the use of Sailor, just because it does make it a mouthful and can be super flowery at times. Maybe using it only when their elemental alignment is important to the situation?
Yah! That exactly. Saying things like "the fiery senshi" when talking about Mars -- it almost feels like taking the easy way out but at the same time, how many times can you say "Mars" in one paragraph? I worry that every other author out there might have already done the same thing and if I do it, I'm just another cliche. Like you, I do not read very much fanfiction. And when I do, it is rarely of the characters as Senshi but more in their civilian forms.

Quote :
Sailor Sun. Sailor Earth. ((*coughs and hides Tellus&Sol*)). Senshi who live on Earth but have nothing to do with the solar system. ... pretty much otaku senshi in general. And pairing Mamoru with different people, or breaking up the UsaxMamo pairing to get them with other people without resolving or explaining time paradoxes. I pretty much try to avoid anything that couldn't be canon. ... but this is coming from someone who hasn't read much fanfiction. ^^'
Oh, I totally hear you on that one! I personally just like reading about the actual characters, not that otaku senshi are bad, they're just not the reason why I venture into SM fics to begin with. And Mamoru with anyone else? Uhm, no.

Quote :
Easiest: interactions between favorite pairings! Tricky part is reviewing to make sure they're still themselves x_x Oh! And interactions between friends that we haven't seen in the show so there's no presidence, such as the good versions of the shitennou xD ((er... yeah. I dont' really have a lot of useful stuff for plots that take place within the timeline we know...))
I would think that being easy as well because unless you go WAY out of character, you really can't go too wrong because of how little is mentioned of them in the anime and manga.

Quote :
I like syncing with the manga canon, but throwing in some really cute touches from the anime canon, like the star locket, Mamoru's fear of needles, interactions between Usagi and Shingo; just tiny little things.
Hehe. Me too. I like using the personalities from the manga but I will confess that I love the angst potential of the break up between Usagi and Mamoru in the anime. I know that that has been written about a lot but if an author is good with their words and writing, I'll read it again.

Personally some things that I do not like and I try SO HARD to stay away from is the descriptions of Usagi and Mamoru's eyes. It's hard because everyone always writes about them and every word has been used up already. I'm almost to the point where I'm just like 'forget it, people know what color their eyes are.' lol. I remember abot ten years ago when I used to read SM fics and it was very popular on the web, that EVERYONE used the word cerulean to describe Usagi's eyes. I thought it as awesome until I realized that everyone was doing it, including myself. XD
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 1:08 pm

I'm sorry for the double post! I missed your reply, Venus. :/

As one who does not read any SM fics, I did NOT know about this whole making Sailor Moon flee to another dimension. O.o I guess that is where all of the DBZ/SM crossovers stem from? I've heard of them but never read them myself. I know it's crazy but I just imagine the totally different artistic styles and I can't separate the two. lol. How can those two animation worlds possibly exist? Who gets softer and who gets harder? DBZ is more boxlike but Sailor Moon is long and rounder.
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 1:20 pm

Quote :
Personally some things that I do not like and I try SO HARD to stay away from is the descriptions of Usagi and Mamoru's eyes. It's hard because everyone always writes about them and every word has been used up already. I'm almost to the point where I'm just like 'forget it, people know what color their eyes are.' lol. I remember abot ten years ago when I used to read SM fics and it was very popular on the web, that EVERYONE used the word cerulean to describe Usagi's eyes. I thought it as awesome until I realized that everyone was doing it, including myself. XD

Lol, I hand't run into that before! Except for an excess amount of "blue-eyed girl" "blue-eyed princess" "blue-eyed senshi" 'blue-eyed heroine" "blue-eyed" etc. etc. x_x it gets on my nerves a little; even more so when the author is writing from that person's pov. I mean, even if going third person limited, if you're trying to write with, say, Usagi as a main character and involve her thoughts, I super super bet that she's not thinking of her own wonderful blue eyes all the time.

... and I always prefer third person limited to omniscient, so, even if they're writing omniscient, if Usagi is a main character and they use "the blue eyed girl said" instead of just, plain, unassuming "she said", I get a little grawr about it. ^^'

EDIT: And I love that in the crossover situation you worry about the clashing art styles!! <3 Plot issues, time issues, dimensional rifts, power sources, psssshaaaw~ XD
Back to top Go down
Momma Jupi
Jupiter Emeritus

Momma Jupi

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 1:25 pm

Sailor Uranus wrote:
... and I always prefer third person limited to omniscient, so, even if they're writing omniscient, if Usagi is a main character and they use "the blue eyed girl said" instead of just, plain, unassuming "she said", I get a little grawr about it. ^^'
Ohmygosh, I read this one fic that was written in Usagi's POV and the author actually wrote, "my creamy white thighs." XD I. Died. I mean, really, really? You talk about your own legs as creamy and white? I had to stop reading. It was just too much.

Sailor Uranus wrote:
And I love that in the crossover situation you worry about the clashing art styles!! <3 Plot issues, time issues, dimensional rifts, power sources, psssshaaaw~ XD
Razz Aahaha, you made that sound so funny. I know, I know -- out of all he things to wonder about, I get caught up with the different artwork.

Oh, oh, and what about Princess Serenity constantly getting kidnapped by a bastard king with no name? O.o
Back to top Go down
Sailor Uranus
Outer Senshi Admin
Roleplay Director

Sailor Uranus

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime30th April 2012, 1:30 pm

Quote :
Ohmygosh, I read this one fic that was written in Usagi's POV and the author actually wrote, "my creamy white thighs." XD I. Died. I mean, really, really? You talk about your own legs as creamy and white? I had to stop reading. It was just too much.
OMG REALLY?! XD "Man, I just so go'geous and I know~ it!"

Quote :
Oh, oh, and what about Princess Serenity constantly getting kidnapped by a bastard king with no name? O.o
OH MY GOSH. XD I haven't read one of those before! If it were Silver Millennium based and nicely done I might want to read one of those! XD I was thinking of adding in a kidnapping scene during Jewels (just 'cause I thought it'd be awesome to see the shitennou and the senshi working together to fix this before word got out) but if it's been done so many times before I might just leave it as a quick RP idea ^ ^

Did you have a plot idea in mind? Or a general era you would want the fic to happen in?
Back to top Go down
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime3rd May 2012, 4:55 am

Sailor Jupiter wrote:
I'm sorry for the double post! I missed your reply, Venus. :/

As one who does not read any SM fics, I did NOT know about this whole making Sailor Moon flee to another dimension. O.o I guess that is where all of the DBZ/SM crossovers stem from? I've heard of them but never read them myself. I know it's crazy but I just imagine the totally different artistic styles and I can't separate the two. lol. How can those two animation worlds possibly exist? Who gets softer and who gets harder? DBZ is more boxlike but Sailor Moon is long and rounder.

So... I've totally read a fanfic that is exactly like this. Now I was probably like 12/13 in the height of my DBZ/SM love...and yeah i knew it was out of character...but I enjoyed it anyway. call it a guilty pleasure? To top it all off, they threw in Ranma 1/2 towards the end and mamoru was gay for Fiore while Moon ended up with Piccolo. WEIRD, but ya know. Guilty Pleasures.

As for a reader (since I've long since given up writing fanfiction...) I do not enjoy the above cliche crossover anymore. In fact, I rarely search out crossovers. Actually i don't read much fanfiction unless I stumble upon it either here or on tumblr. Like I read this REALLY great Tangled fic of what happens after the movie and it was more adult and realisitic, really went into the characters personalities and thoughts. Dealt with Rapunzel having to learn about royal life, etc. The struggles of having to take in so much knowledge each day and also sneaking out with Eugene at night...omg. Great stuff. I love more fics that delve more into characters than what the show presents. Even if its a character we don't have much info of from the manga/anime/pgsm/myu whatever, its fun to learn more.

I'm a sucker for Silver Millenium fics (especially thanks to Kyra and also reading some fancomics too). I like learning about the beginnings or how everyone comes together...The possibilities of the kingdoms. Serenity going to earth and meeting Endymion, how they met, etc. Things like that. Since Naoko leaves a majority of that area gray, I enjoy that stuff.

Also smut... I do rather enjoys some guilty pleasure smut and adult things here and there, especially if its MamoxUsa. Also please don't pair my Usa or Mamo with anyone else...its just weird. T_T

I also like exploring relationships that don't get a lot of attention whether they are straight, gay, lesbian, whatever.

Also on canon and AU, i don't mind AU. Actually, i've rather enjoyed some AU fanfics, whether its Sailor Moon or not. I think if done right it can be fun to read. If its canon, i prefer like Kyra said, manga based but maybe with tidbits of ther versions thrown in there. But I don't mind reading things based off of PGSM or anime or Myu (i actually have yet to read a Myu based fanfic. Do they exist? I haven't gone searching for fanfiction in a long time...)

Also if its going to be about an otaku senshi, man it better keep me entertained and not be your usual cliche mary sue type stuff. I like looking at character designs and all but unless written good, those fics will probably bore me.

aaand i think i answered some of your questions for readers Jupiter. ^^;
Back to top Go down
Beat
Star Seed

Beat

Star Seed

Title : Just a Hero.

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime8th January 2013, 8:20 am

Well responding to the questions:
So, to the authors:
Ah yes,my dear Pronuns and synonyms...What would I do without ya? I've to admit that This type of fic requires THE MOST ADVANCED USE of them to distinguish and the most important part...don't bore the reader.

Paula Smith...Why did you invent Mary sue? If there's something I hate besides the Sailor sun, Earth, and
sometimes names of stars(Sirius, Draco, etc) I'dhave to say:

-Random girl appears, Artemis/Luna grant her powers superior making look the eternal forms like child's play and to top it all off, SHE IS THE LEADER

-Random dude appears and puts discord among them and THEY FIGHT(And I Don't mean Like Comic Fashion like they use to do) They fight for REAL for a guy that just arrived. Even Rei, who's distrustful of men does it. And
I'm like Y U NO RESPECT CHARACTER?!?!

-Female authors creating..."Spiritual descendants of the Senshi" although I don't mind it at all, some tend to go to the...cliché of clichés or rather, recreate the Amine/Manga to their convenience...sometimes including "Cool Lookind dudes" like Usui from Kaichou wa Maid sama or Sasuke from Naruto.

Like said before, interactions that don't bore the reader.
To me Romance...I'd say it's my forte. You have to analyze deeply but it pays off in ways unimaginable and I'm not talking about the classic kissy goo scene, there are TONS of other things romance has. Mutual support, trust, conflict and even in the anime they explore it, people ignore it and go for a rapid love. I'd say love is like a dish, the better the ingredients, the slower you cook it and with the right amount of spice...délicieux et magnifique.

Both, little details make big impressions,I say, the more resources you have the better.

Now to the readers:

- What words or phrases do you find to be typically cliche or overused by SM authors?
Azure Eyes, Blonde for me. I do tolerate the "Moon naked" thingy.

With COHERENCE and work. So hard to find one these days.

Both, as long as all is in due place(Character, compatibility etc) although I'm willing to bet I've seen the most Bizarre thing in AU...I'm a bit of a Teen GohanxChibi usa fan and one day I found this:
Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction Gohan_and_chibiusa_by_dbzandsm-d4ofgcw

I said...cute. Let's read...Oh, the horror.
The chibi usa gohan was well done...but then, as if it were a nightmare the horror started.

-VegetaxRei: I do get the fact that both are pretty temperamental but Rei lashing at him and him not doing a thing...Felt weird.Later on Rei has to save Majin Vegeta via...a kiss...ugh...

-TrunksxHotaru: Hm. Might work out. As she is frail, and he is kind and she can help him forget his past...That might have worked out...except in the part where Hotaru SEDUCES him.

-Piccolo and Sailor Pluto: Ok, that was the last straw, Piccolo all mushy with...someone besides gohan. That was beyond the border.

-Queen BerylxFriezaxCooler: That REALLY ruined it for me. Cooler is one of my favorite characters, as he is evil and doesn't know love and here he COMPETED with Frieza to get her. Something like "Die brother! she's mine."

I still have nightmares with those pairings...

I feel all get their attention but perhaps...Amy, Hotaru...I guess?

Last edited by Beat on 8th January 2013, 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime8th January 2013, 8:25 am

You found a Queen Beryl x Frieza x Cooler? Impressive.
Back to top Go down
Beat
Star Seed

Beat

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime8th January 2013, 8:34 am

Life has MANY WEIRD things. It was something like this...
Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction Freeza_and_queen_beryl_by_dbzandsm-d4oibi0
At least...the banners were somewhere else. Goes to prove the universe is...big.
It ruined the "Time we found out who's the strongest!" Routine for me...

Also I wanted to ask: Is including japanese language in the writing unprofessional?
-Honorifics: Kun, Chan ect.
-Attack names in japanese
-Certain expressions to cause more impression on the reader? what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Chmia
Lotus Crystal

Chmia

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime8th January 2013, 8:40 am

Oh wow, it even has artwork to accompany the fanfiction. The universe is rather large, lol.

I am not entirely certain if including Japanese language in the fanfiction writing is unprofessional, but it can be used without taste. I do know there are certain words that do not translate well into English, so I can definitely see that as a reason to use a Japanese word or phrase. Several authors are skilled at using Japanese words and phrases to provide a certain mood or to further the storyline.

But, all too often these are not the words or phrases used, but rather words or phrases that do not serve to further the writing or that are used incorrectly. I cannot tell you how many times my friend, who has studied Japanese intensively for over a decade, has ranted on how certain words and phrases would never be used so commonly in real-life (especially specific words and phrases involving love and/or romance).
Back to top Go down
Beat
Star Seed

Beat

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime8th January 2013, 9:17 am

Hm.Lemme think I've seen stuff like "Daisuke" or "Aishiteru" Which I don't find bothersome. However I've always loved to create Attack names in japanese and then have the user say it's meaning; Something like the Extend of:
Quote :

"Behold the technique which can freeze hell itself! Rengoku Hyōya!" The young man annnouncer. "Rengoku Hyōya or Ice night of the purgatory freezes all on contact. Nothing can escape its clutches...not even you."
I've always loved to do that, though a bit redundant, I do like the mood it creates. Honorifics, though bothersome to many, I think can be used to mold the character's personality, If not known to the reader. If using "san" or "kun"that chacracter, I dunno might come out as respectful but something to the extent of "Kisama" or "Temaeyarou"(You Bastard) or "TEMAE WO....KIERO!"(YOU BASTARD...DISSAPPEAR!) might make the character severely Disrespecful, cocky and foul-mouthed. Or I put the the chapter's name in english/spanish depending on what language I use and then in japanese romaji Something to the extend of:
The light of triumph! Venus, shine Away! (Shouri no hikari! Venusu Kagayake!)

It really is a good experience, Ms. Venus and you all seem very skilled and have the highest of standards. I'm planning to make a DB Crossover soon but one that's not normally seen and unique.(I do hope so and that's why I'm asking.) Anywho, thanks for your replies.
Back to top Go down
Ktenshi
Lotus Crystal

Ktenshi

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of the darkside of the moon

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime8th January 2013, 9:24 am

So, to the authors:
Staying in character moreso than anything else. I'm usually good at keeping the 'shes' straight when it comes to the senshi talking because I usually use their names or something that is distinctly them. (Ie: Mercury's computer, Usagi's buns, Makoto being tall ect.)

Like everyone else the Sailor 'Stars, earths, suns' and lately, 'Darkmoons' ect. Even with my own, I try to at least make them different. The other thing is again, long lost relative to the mains of some sort. Again, not bad in and of itself, but it's often poorly executed (like a lot of things to be honest.).

And then, of course, the thing that usually grates on me often times is these cliche senshi are usually BESTIES with the sol senshi. There's no tension! No nothing, they simply accept it. The main character simply doesn't feel -excluded- when put in a new enviroment/new group of people that've been friends for ages.

And obviously the "Usagi leaves/is betrayed/Mamoru's abusivejerky-jerkjerk" Spare me. Please. These are extremely contrived and honestly, highly annoying plot devices to just break an otherwise good couple apart. I avoid those like the plague now that I'm better at it.

In truth? Probably a mix between romance and a cultural aspect of Sailor Moon that I've never managed to grasp well.

I do both. There are bits and pieces I like of the Anime and even PGSM that I like to adapt into stories (usually anime though) Along with the manga flow. Thus, the stories are usually a mix and can be interesting.

Now to the readers:

Sapphire blue<- actually any overly descriptive prose like that being used more than twice. *am guilty of it too but not that much.* Same as above- the Abuse/Jerk angle and generally making Mamoru out to be the bad guy when he obviously isn't and has never done anything horrible. basically villifying characters. Others that I find annoying is the one dimensional romances.

- What are your favorite kinds of storylines? Future fics, one that center on Mamoru, the rarity of a Mamoru/other pairing (at least ones where the other is male).

I can take both, but I like a level of canon-ness in the Au just a little.

Usagi usually is written about the most. Mamoru or Setsuna the least.
Back to top Go down
Vaas Rutten
Star Seed

Star Seed

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime16th January 2013, 6:32 pm

So, to the authors:

When written SM fanfiction, the hardest thing for me to do is to keep it as close to cannon as possible while entering taboo elements. I try my best to write the charcters as best to their canon as I can.

Like others said,the senshi and Mamoru betraying Usagi and Usagi moving to America,Mamoru is a jerk etc., Sailor Sun/Earth, Pairing the main characters with an OC or having an OC be the main character, or not having any Sailor Moon characters in the story but supposedly it's Sailor Moon "themed"

I can't say that I have a difficult or easy thing to write about. I mostly wrote romance. I don't write Usagi x Mamoru stories (at least not right now) and in the past, I have paired them up with different people as well as the other senshi. I think the most challenging aspect of that is getting a fanbase who could actually see other couples working out in the Sailor Moon series and considering that 99 percent of my work is shoujo-ai, that poses another barrier.

Yes but I mostly stick to anime canon with hints of manga.

Now to the readers:

calling eyes "orbs"

Where destiny is challenged/Crystal tokyo romance/Moon Kingdom stories that don't focus on the senshi/ Story through Neo Queen Serenity's POV

Canon

The most (in order):

Usagi x Mamoru (I can see why given they are the main characters)

Haruka x Michiru (I can see why. They are awesome!)

Rei x Minako

The least (Not in order):

Usagi's family (Ikuko,Kenji,Shingo)

Naru

Umino

Hotaru

Elza

Neo Queen Serenity and King Endymion

Ami
Back to top Go down
sailor swifty
Lotus Crystal

sailor swifty

Lotus Crystal

Title : Space Princess

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime24th January 2013, 7:53 pm

as a writer the snag is... finishing some stores. sometimes i think of something and I'm "this is such a good idea" and some times i write it out first, then type it. and it's sometimes hard to type it out from paper and just to type (i want that dragon program.. you talk and it types for you.. so good for people who can't spell.. like me.. Razz )

anyways i think that's it.. oh and think of ideas to finish a story..

as a reader.. sometimes i'm like.. why can't i write like this. sometimes the stores are soo good it fells like I'm watching it.

What cliches do you find are rampant in the fandom and try to avoid? cliches? is it high school? hahah i'm being a smarty pants sassy Razz

- What topics do you find the most difficult or easiest to write about? death.. it sad.. super sad to read..

- Do you like syncing with anime canon or manga canon? mostly anime, sometimes i mix it.

Now to the readers:
- What words or phrases do you find to be typically cliche or overused by SM authors? idk

- What are your favorite kinds of storylines? funny one, love ones (M rated Wink ] haahah most stories.

- Do you prefer canon related or AU? not sure what that is

- What characters do you feel are written about the most and the least? well there isn't that many on the amazon trio.. i found a funny one once and they kept getting drunk.. also i say ones about Zoi/kun.
Back to top Go down
http://serenitysmoonpalace.com/palace/index.php http://sailor-swifty.tumblr.com/
Miss Tricks
Lotus Crystal

Miss Tricks

Lotus Crystal

Title : Queen of Clouds

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime1st February 2013, 1:29 pm

Fanfiction is totally my thing.

So, to the authors:
----Mixing story canons - for example, one story I have is an AR based around a version of Sailor Moon where every form of canon has its part in the story - a mix of PGSM, the anime, manga, and the musicals. Sometimes its difficult to get that story straight in my head while still including all the elements I want to include. And then, just to make things harder on myself, I'll move on to my anime only based future fic, or my anime/manga mixed time travel fic. It can get confusing.
--Characters that are irredeemably hateful... these are the characters that get bashed most often, usually some combination of the Inner Senshi and Mamoru against Usagi. Betrayal fics with no resolution.
--Overdoing clumsy, crybaby Usagi, or jerkwad Mamoru, or spawn of evil Chibi-Usa.
--Hmm. I guess I find horror easiest, but I try to stick away from it. I dislike writing tragedy.
--Anime canon is the most fun for me to write, but I use manga only elements most of the time.

Now to the readers:
--clumsy, crybaby, jerk, dumpling-headed blonde, hair color as the sole identifier of a character. I can't think of anything else right this second.
--I like redemption storylines, alternative romances (between canon and non-canon couples), characters that use Mary Sue cliches (well written Mary Sues, anyway), time travel, mystery, and adventure stories.
--The only storyline I'm really against is straight up tragedy. I only like happy endings. Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction 1549413412
--Canon related - maybe with some AU elements. But I prefer my Senshi to still be Senshi.
--Usagi is certainly written about the most... and any character exclusive to the RPG game Another Story counts as being written about the least.
Back to top Go down
http://miss-tricks.tumblr.com/
ToriJ
Lotus Crystal

ToriJ

Lotus Crystal

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime6th March 2013, 4:59 am

I think for the name thing I would just refer to them as their civilian names in the narrative and save Senshi names for the dialog. But in that I'm sure you run into the same problems with repetitive in the names and it could cause confusion making the reader think they're in civilian form.
Quote :
So, to the authors:

Descriptions of characters and places, though this isn't a Sailor Moon exclusive deal. One of my weakness in writing is describing characters and areas, I tend to be vague with it. Fanfiction can offer an advantage in that for people who have seen the show but only so much. Another snag is Japanese culture in general. I haven't study that much on Japan and most of what I do know is from anime and the few things about Japan I have read. In the SM fanfic I'm working on now I already had to go back and note the main character took their shoes off before entering the house. But the snag I think is going to become a major problem at some point is romance. I can't write romance. I have no personal experiences to draw from so it comes across as cliche, even laughable. So for now I'm just avoiding any straight up romantic involvement between characters. And I don't mean breaking up any couples that are already established so don't worry Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction 1805429032 and Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction 1164171495 are safe.

Quote :

I haven't read many fanfics to know but breaking up couples for the sake of another seems to be pretty popular. I once read a fanfic that had Usagi run to Seiya and sleep with her because she found out Mamoru was having an affair with Chibiusa. And I don't mean grown up Black Lady-ish Chibiusa either -_-

Quote :

As seen above; romance for most difficult. Action is among the easiest I can write for, especially when anime physics are involved. Character interaction and dialog is also among my strengths in writing.

Quote :

Anime canon is really the only canon I'm familiar with save for a few bits I know from the manga. Like Rei's personality for instance. I always considered manga Rei to be the one true Rei. I don't know if it counts as the same thing or not but I do like the idea of adding elements from one version and adapting it into another. Right now my fanfic is following the anime's continuity and I want to introduce some things that was left out of the anime but was in the manga.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/Torijenova
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction   Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion of Sailor Moon fanfiction

View previous topic View next topic Back to top