The Galaxy Cauldron
These Forums are an ARCHIVE! Please check out our Discord as we are active on there! ♥️

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Navigation

Navigation

Get Help!
Forum Index
Portal Page
Today's Topics
Watched Stuff
Calendar
Search Forum
Member Roster
Helpful Links
Forum Rules
Avi/Sig Rules
Chat Rules
Guide to RP
Forum Staff
Member Ranks
OSA-P Shop Info
Club Directory

Connect with GC
Tumblr Facebook Twitter Instagram Become a member today for link!
User Control Panel
Your profile
Information Preference Signature Avatar
Social
Friends and Foes Memberlist Groups
Private messages
Inbox PM sent

Share | 

SuperS Specials

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
An Ordinary Girl
Lotus Crystal

An Ordinary Girl

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Naru

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime21st January 2019, 8:07 pm

Okay, so I think I just got a mini-taste of what being a Sailor Moon fan was like years ago before the Stars arc was available in English.  Just a mini-taste.

I saw a screencap of the senshi battling a vampire.  Having no recollection of that episode, I frantically searched around and discovered that *gasp* there's Sailor Moon anime material I hadn't seen yet!  And I was all like:

MUST.  FIND.  NOW.

For all of the five minutes during which I was aware that there was 45 minutes worth of 90's Sailor Moon I had somehow never seen - I think I always saw 'SuperS Special' and thought 'Ami's First Love' - I was in an internal frenzy.  The joy of the new discovery was great, too., even though the special itself isn't necessarily eye-popping.  (But it's still fun!)  So now I can surmise what it was to be a fan, knowing that there was a whole season somewhere out there and not being able to view it for years.  I can identify now.  To a very small degree, at least.

Also, had anyone else not seen these?  What are your thoughts on them?

Part 1 is mostly a re-cap, but I love that they played the entire original transformation (the best henshin music) AND Tuxedo Mask's henshin!  
Part 2 was a nice view of Haruka and Michiru on their own, even if their excuse for not helping out with the Dead Moon Circus was weak (hey, at least there is a canon excuse)
And Part 3 was great fun, and I loved how even in a side part of such a short bit, the Inners all get a chance to show off their individual personalities.

Side note - how are those videos averaging only 2.7K views?!?
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: Re: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime21st January 2019, 9:51 pm

Hahah I had this same feeling too back in the day! I definitely found out about them after Stars as well. The recap one is definitely cute though hard to rewatch more than every 5-10 years or so XD.

I LOVE the Haruka & Michiru one! It was such a pleasant surprise the first time to see this random new episode!! The only part that I didn't really get was the beginning where the dummy is saying he's been waiting hundreds of years to eat... and then they're just right there in the next scene, doing their villainy thing. Like, what kept you from not eating? Is he referring to something else to "eat" instead of their energy? Maybe he wants to eat a dream mirror like Nehellenia?? o.O

As for the third short, I was shocked when I first saw it since I had already read the manga counterpart. It felt like watching the S Movie haha. Kind of a surreal experience that I didn't expect since not much from the manga was directly adapted - I think I had seen Ami's First Love by then but it had struck me as an exception and here I was watching another similar thing. It really made me desire an animated version of the other Exam Battle stories from the manga 10000x more ^^;;;;.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
SpikeDevilman
Lotus Crystal

SpikeDevilman

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Kunzite

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: Re: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime21st January 2019, 9:55 pm

It took you this long to find out about it? Damn. I kind of envy you though, it must've felt nice to unearth some of the 90s anime you haven't yet seen. Anyway...

First part of the special is a decent recap for what happened up to that point, though they could've put in a bit more explanation for what happened in R. The complete lack of a recap for S is forgivable since the special aired during the very early episodes of SuperS, when S was still fresh in everyone's minds.

Second part is a real treat since we get to see Haruka and Michiru again, even if its for the only time in that season, and we get to see them save the day. (Seriously anime staff, you should've let the other Senshi besides Moon finish off an MoTD more often but no you just had to religiously stick to your formula.)

Third part is an animated adaptation of the first Chibiusa Picture Diary, but the manga version of it is much better because the Vampire is real vampire and Minako shows up to defeat it in her Sailor V transformation.

All in all, it's pretty great. I'd recommend to anyone who is in the midst of watching the first half of SuperS for the first time to also make sure and check out the special.
Back to top Go down
nm___i3bfc
Lotus Crystal

nm___i3bfc

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Sailor Kakyuu

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: Re: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime21st January 2019, 11:48 pm

I found out about the SuperS specials in a similar way, although it was through the Haruka and Michiru special; I thought I had missed an episode of some season or something, SuperS Specials 3884866259. The short stories must've slipped my mind or something, as I don't know why I didn't read them before seeing the anime specials. Even the Ami special was a surprise, ha. Oh, Minako also tranforms into V in the manga? I've got to read those now,  SuperS Specials 2027930456 !
That was nice, anyways, for those two to get another episode to themselves. There were also "Memorials" for each season, even the last one, but there probably isn't as much that's new in those episodes.
Back to top Go down
An Ordinary Girl
Lotus Crystal

An Ordinary Girl

Lotus Crystal

Title : GC's Official Naru

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: Re: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime22nd January 2019, 2:45 pm

Diagnosed wrote:
The only part that I didn't really get was the beginning where the dummy is saying he's been waiting hundreds of years to eat... and then they're just right there in the next scene, doing their villainy thing. Like, what kept you from not eating? Is he referring to something else to "eat" instead of their energy? Maybe he wants to eat a dream mirror like Nehellenia?? o.O

I thought the 'hundreds of years' referred to the time between Nehellenia's being sealed off by Serenity and the reawakening at the eclipse.  The Lemures were dormant during that time too, I think?

What confused me is why the Lemures was going after energy, when the rest of the arc if focused on dream mirrors.  Maybe it was so early in the season that the directors of the special weren't aware that energy harvesting wouldn't be a thing as in previous seasons?
Back to top Go down
Diagnosed
Lotus Crystal

Diagnosed

Lotus Crystal

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: Re: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime23rd January 2019, 3:00 pm

Oooh! I like that theory that they just assumed it would be energy again haha!
Back to top Go down
http://www.cosplay.com/member/17252/ https://m.youtube.com/user/lemonsama52/videos
Brit-chan
Small Lady Emeritus

Brit-chan

Senior Member  Small Lady Emeritus

Title : Queen of the Cat Kingdom

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: Re: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime23rd January 2019, 6:04 pm

Ooh it's so fun to find a new piece of Sailor Moon media that you haven't seen. That was like when I finally got into the musicals and then again when I found out there's that visual novel PC-Engine game that has its own theme song that I'd never heard before! I love gems like that.

As far as the specials themselves go, I find them enjoyable especially the Haruka & Michiru ep. as well as gaining another animation version of a manga story with the Chibiusa vs Lilica ep. xD

The energy thing is interesting...I'm honestly not too sure about a in universe reason for it. I think it's more like what you said @An Ordinary Girl.

Or maybe they didn't want to reveal that the thin the new enemy was after was the Dream Mirrors? Like perhaps Uranus and Neptune beat him before he could get their dream mirrors out? Or they got seperated from the Circus and could only survive on energy?? Who knows. xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

SuperS Specials Empty
PostSubject: Re: SuperS Specials   SuperS Specials I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SuperS Specials

View previous topic View next topic Back to top